• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mafia ZD X BMG 2019 Link’s Awakening Hydra Mafia Crossover Game Thread

also I don't particularly think casting the deciding vote is alignment indicative. But it certainly is WIFOM since there's pretty equal utility in saving a partner vs getting town cred from being the one to guarantee the lynch

i don't think there's equal utility in saving/busing your partner in last eod, especially when quite a few people were okay with lynching a town (myself included). at least, that's how i would go about it i guess

RR, could you explain what you meant about LW making a “posture-y” post? And whatever that point was about LW having too much information on S&N?

Things should really be more active here, I've seen several games where scum was lynched D1 but town still lost because they became complacent

So, I want to give where I'm at before moe buries it under a wall of words, words, words, words, words, words and more words

I really mostly have a townlist, and I'm killing anyone indiscriminately outside of it, with a single exception.

leetic and the band is totally unlynchable for me, which is something I rarely say about someone I haven't played with before. They're put in more work into the game than anyone else, and it feels... reasonable. I believe that they believe the conclusions that they have drawn from them. I couldn't tell you a single one of these conclusions off the top of my head, I'll be honest.

my read on dum dum idiots (almost) directly mirrors aflame's read, without the prior knowledge of the hydra, of course (played with LG twice, Pen once). I think that they are closer to their (and by this, I mean LG specifically, if you told me that Pen has posted zero times this game, I might believe you) town play today, so I really think that this is a thought that a flame has. They also voted the scum and were first to do so; plenty of time to get off imo. aflame is probably town.

Hydreigon and Sheldon said... what they said about me accidentally not posting in mafia chat. I don't think that this is something that mafia thinks up? They weren't really pressured they just kinda said it so I think it was a real thought that they had, so I think they're leaning town.

The Deku half of Chillian has been trying harder than I've seen him try before; I /think/ this makes him townier than it does mafia. The fact that the S&N wagon (this is a supposition, I am going off of the order of the votes in the EOD post, apologies if this is incorrect) formed out of the initial Chillian vote on S&N makes me feel like it was scum taking advantage (this could be a bad read, I'll admit it) of the wagon rather than anything else.

I really don't wanna say it, but I kinda think the dum dum idiots is town. LG's progression has been... good. This is definitely the weakest of my reads (which is surprising; Chillian is pretty weak). The one thing that I don't like is that it kind of feels like LG is mailing it in on trying to pick out town/scum beyond the wagon yesterday; like she's not really trying on it. I'm just kinda pretending like I think that this slot is townier than it really is for the rest of this day.

I am... alright with the way this day is going wrt the Tommy and Hal lynch. I think we are never playing this game without resolving the fact that that vote looks like an attempt to save a partner. I can't tell you a single thing that they've posted this game.

What I strongly, seriously object to is the way that it feels like the game is developing beyond that. It feels like we have already lynched Tommy and Hal, discarded the flip, and are continuing to evaluate the game based on the day zero wagon. It feels like people have locked in their orders based on the wagons.

Beyond the fact that I am town and I voted for the Miller, I think that this is bad because scum bus. I maintain that my boyfriend's joke of a forum mafia career is wagered on the fact that at least one scum voted on their partner. Scum, and this is true on almost every website I have played on, for most players I meet, scum cannot help bus. I (hopefully) don't have to explain this further, because it feels like it should be a given, but I really feel like no one is looking at that wagon, despite saying otherwise.

its just a little frustrating.

I won't lie to you guys, I would be reading this slot as just probably going to kill them at some point at best, but I am town here. Moe is town here, much to the chagrin of people attempting to read him. I can absolutely, positively guarantee, and fg can confirm this, I hard, hard, hard, hard, hard defend my partners if I am a wolf. My "eh, ZMS is kinda townie for her reaction" is not anywhere near enough of what I would consider to be hard-defending. I know this slot was wrong. I know it makes us look not great. I know that we're town tho, and I know how I would've played that as scum, which is kind of frustrating to deal with.

I am incredibly unfamiliar with Millers being told that they are Millers. Again, I won't lie, and I've been told that this is because you guys here at Bulbagarden think that not telling Millers that they are Millers is bastard. I will 100% stand by resolving that slot because of the fact that I (not Moe) was scumreading dum dum idiots d0, and I know that lynch is never happening. I 100% think that telling Millers that they are Millers is incredibly, incredibly silly. The person self-voted in a way that makes me want to kill the slot (partly for selfish reasons; I'd rather not lose to someone that self-votes if they're mafia. yeah, I did think it was townie kinda but I wouldn't ever not be sad to kill them as I said). As the game continued that phase, Moe felt like he wanted to vote aflame (I think, I'm not scrolling all the way up to find out) and he should also know that that lynch never happens there. In addition to kinda liking the slot, we both were fine killing the person that imploded. This is not scummy. No one thought it was scummy when it happened. Its silly hindsight bias We did not campaign anywhere near as hard as we would if ZMS is our partner; last (nonturbo) I played on ffr with ffa; he kicked and screamed (and this is a compliment) in order to swing the lynch onto who he wanted as scum. This is not what happened here.

I am fine with voting the person everyone else has voted for. I think them not showing up is scummy. I would vote anyone else I haven't townread, and could barely be convinced to vote dum dum idiots (but that never happens).

enjoy Moe's post that's like 5x the length of this one.

Day 2 Mez Vote Count 2
Vote Count

Aflame- 1 (T&H)
dum dum idiots- 1 (sunspear)
Tommy and Hal- 4 (MNH, H&S, LatB, LW)
Not Voting- (Aflame, Chillian, dumbass idiots, RR)

With ten alive it takes six to majority. Otherwise day will end at maybe 9 am on Friday the 26th

Last edited:
Aflame-
I started looking into Aflame at EOD. I did not want to do so as a means to violently flip the wagons so close to end of day, which is why I did not immediately make a case on them (and because of external factors like being a human being). What initially pinged me was their mention of percentages near end of day:
Statistically, 25% of the players or so is scum. Whatever the evidence, chances are always high that someone is town afterall.
I do not like this idea of justifying a town lynch because "they are statistically more likely to be town". The way it is written here and in context, it feels like a way to justify a mislynch. Aflame's progression leading up to the lynch leads me to believe they thought both ZMS and S&N would flip scum.
Here is my list of reads. Please comment on it (and share yours too)!Town-leaning
leetic and the band – very active. Looked for confrontations, so in the end still on my town-list. He published a list of reads and I liked that he used colours there, and thus had a read on everyone. But content wise I think the list was shabby. Please explain your thoughts in more detail.
Thesunspear – another highly active player. Has been confrontational as well. Also motivated others to publish their lists of reads. Generally contributed to the game. I would like to see a list of your reads as well.
Mafia Nursing Home – has been doubting Lone_Wolf’s intentions when he started the lie detector soft-claim-thingy. Personally, I don’t think that’s scummy. I think that it’s quite likely that we have a lie detector role in a bastard game. And if you want to get town credit by faking it, you may have just provided the REAL lie detector with valuable information. So why not use another strategy to look more townish?
Overall though, Mafia Nursing Home has been confronting people with their behavior. They further confronted Restless and me. I like that, that contributes to discussions and puts yourself in the spotlight as well.
Lone Wolf – asked everyone about their alignment. Let’s assume this is a lie detector soft-claim. I find it somewhat trustworthy. In a bastard game like this, I think it makes sense for someone to be a lie detector. If he fakeclaimed it, someone will counter-claim eventually (plus he gave that person a large amount of useful information!). If he IS the lie detector, his move will have been effective. Later Lone_Wolf claimed that these questions were just fluff. Maybe that’s true, then my read of him would be neutral (or even scum-leaning, for he didn’t really do much else…). But since it could also just be to hide his cards, I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt for now.
Restless_Ridge – has been suuuuuper active. Truly… restless. Generally gives off a town-vibe. Has contributed much to discussions and confronted other (active) people. The only small red flag is that they claimed in the beginning that his/her town game is normally scummy (kind of warranted an RVS vote >.>). That’s really not a confident opening…..
Neutral
Hydreigon & Shelgon GX – I put them in my neutral corner because the website keeps giving me an error when I try to single out their posts…. My gutfeeling says that they have been very active and contributed well, but I don’t want to put them in my list of town-reads yet if I can’t check all their posts… I’ll do that at some later stage.
dum dum idiots – Has not been super active yet, but that may be unrelated to their alignment. I think they have been playing a bit cautious so far, more than I would expect from them, but I believe their explanation for this. Thus, so far in my neutral list.
Chillian – Hasn’t contributed yet to the game at all. But both players have expressed being busy atm and promised to contribute more tomorrow. That’s fine, I’m looking forward to hearing your thoughts tomorrow.
Bok's Lovechild – only posted once. Please become more active.
Tommy and Hal – 0 posts.
Scum-leaning
Zinn Mask Salesman – posted 3 times. Only talked about Lone Wolf’s question about our alignments. I am not a huge fan of these questions either, any mass-claiming exercise on day one can make the game too easy. But I’m not questioning the effectiveness of this. To the contrary, if there is a lie detector, it’s a great town move (just not a fun one). ZinnMS questioning the effectiveness of this seems very scummy. They have neither contributed to anything else in this game so far.
Scumlords and Noobs – Scum-leaning. They had a few quirky posts that made me raise an eyebrow. Such as when they, at the beginning of the game, argued that a normal majority vote (compared to super maj) was bad for the town because it would take away valuable time to talk. Scummy as hell. And when they claimed to be “pretty sure” that they were town. Though this may also just be a personality trait.
Then he published his list of reads. In principle a positive thing, but gave no explanation. When the explanation arrived it looked a bit shabby. Not convincing me of his townness though, so stays in the scumcorner. But imo Scumlord is only barely in the scum-leaning corner (because I do give him credit for publishing a list of reads AT ALL), but my other head disagrees so we’ll keep our vote on him for now.

that's eh... convenient?

Here is my day 2 read list!

gRAdUATed ScUM
ZMS - so proud of you

scummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?
Tommy and Hal - completely ignored the ZMS lynch; ignored requests to give opinions on either ZMS or S&N but did jump in at the last moment to vote for S&N. Enough has been said about this case. You deserve my vote but I'm not willing to risk an early hammer yet.

thesunspear - I wasn't scumreading thesunspear until this morning. LatB showed in a very interesting post that they had quite resisted the ZMS lynch. Furthermore, their immediate attack on DDI without ANY arguments was off. Especially, as I mentioned in a previous post, because I could imagine DDI (if they are town) to have been the ideal miss lynch on day 2. Attacking them would've been the safest move for maffia this morning. Thirdly, I found thesunspear's reaction to the Aflame/T&H confrontation peculiar. Claiming this morning that "Aflame didn't really have a case and was just kinda spewing nonsense". Sure, you may or may not have seen the argument against T&H in the same degree of severity, but "nonsense", after ZMS actually flipped scum (and not just scum, but as some super-godfather), comes across as denial. thesunspear's subsequent mentioning that Aflame does look a bit better now because he was an early ZMS voter seems a bit stating-the-obvious backtracking after having just thrown some unnecessary shade on Aflame.
In thesunspear's defense though. One thing about them DOES look townish. They referred back to an old potential soft claim. Why would mafia openly mention that? Why not just keep it for yourself and kill them in the night (if you believe that the softclaim was truthful though). Anyhow, it seemed strange for mafia to refer back to that.

Restless_Ridge - There is quite a gap between thesunspear and RR. But I became a bit wary of them after yesterday's lynch. They mentioned to not wanting this lynch to end with a coinflip, yet abstained from choosing a side till the end. Mentioned that he found the ZMS lynch peculiar because there was too little opposition and kept voting for an irrelevant wagon (LW) till the end. I'm weighing their behaviour a bit harsher than others because they both were very active at the time of the lynch and in my eyes took quite a "town leader" role upond them, guiding the discussions. After taking such an active and leading role, their final indecisive leadership at the end was a bit of an anti-climax. Was it just safe play, an honest confusion about what to do, or a low-key attempt to not get ZMS killed?
I disagree with LatB's analysis of RR. I think he portrays him in a too positive light.

Neutral
Hydreigon & Shelgon GX - keeping their votes on thesunspear till EOD day 1 despite this obviously being an irrelevant wagon was a bit edgy. Also strange that they hardly commented on the ZMS case (as LatB pointed out). Yet, they early town-readed DDI, which I don't get if they would be mafia (for DDI would've been the perfect lynch this morning).

Chillian - stayed under the radar pretty well so far, technically a good place to hide for scum. LatB's analysis showed nothing overly scummy nor townish. I would like to see a bit more daring behaviour from them.
@Chillian, can you guys share with us a list of your reads?

Aspiring town
dum dum idiots - I know both of you very well. In the beginning I found your guys' level of contribution odd, you still posted but in a very cautious way. But after that you became more and more inactive. I started to feel more and more like your guys' behaviour was just due to your inactivity, probably since the start of the game. I still kept up my pressure on you guys by not mentioning this gut feeling before because I was of the opinion that it was first your guys' turn to show something positive. You did, today. You guys became more active and currently play exactly as I would expect you guys to play as a town DDI hydra. So you gained a lot more town credit in my eyes since this morning. However, aside from contributing seriously and me reading your meta's in a positive light, there isn't much substantial yet to back it up.

Lone Wolf - We can't rule out that their vote for ZMS wasn't an attempt to bus them, but as I described recently, I doubt that is realistic. There were multiple other strategies they could have used without sacrificing their godfather+roleblocker for some meagre amount of town-credit. There is no reason to doubt LW's allegiance at this point in the game. There are plenty of players with a far weaker alibi.

town
Mafia Nursing Home - has been part of my townlist since the start of the game. Last day's lynch further convinced me in this. They were the 4th to vote for ZMS. I consider this townish because the votes between S&N and ZMS were tied at that time. It could've gone either way. MNH pushed it in the direction of ZMS. Would they also have done that if they were in cahoots with ZMS? I doubt it, the battle certainly wasn't lost yet.

leetic and the band - Also moved up the town-ladder. I very much enjoyed your latest reads. Very comprehensive and I found the analyses very thorough. At this point in the game, providing reads itself is not a towntell (isn't the most perfect killer the detective himself? Selectively analysing the case in a way that suits you), but this was a very helpful analysis, made me very happy. Probably town.

These reads lists just confuse me more than anything because they are essentially inverted from the previous day and are based off of faulty logic (we were "quite opposed" to the ZMS lynch???). Despite this complete inversion, they are aware of the inconsistency and point it out in every single read: "I was not scum reading sunspear until this morning", "Leetic and the band moved up the town ladder", etc. Being inconsistent is not a big deal but I feel like there is an incongruity between what is written and what I think would be an acceptable reason to flip a read on someone. As a way to better communicate to me your mental machinations (as you are currently- along with several other players in this game- a massive ??? to me), I would like to see you justify these reads with actual quotes that complement your flips:
-thesunspear
-restlessridge
-dum dum idiots
-leetic and the band

I also want you to commit to H&S GX and Chillian, as there is not really a reason for them to still be null at this point in the game. You are highlighting a lot of their [GX] scummy behavior but balance it out with "they have a town read"? How does this make sense? I understand null reading Chillian personally but the only point you have against them is that you feel they are under the radar. Do you not believe this is a reason to scum read them proper? If you believe they could be UTR as either alignment, why are you unaware of your confirmation bias in other areas?

For those of you following along, this post begins a short series where Aflame digs into S&N for their infamous crappy readlist. The reason I bring this up is because it seems they were set to vote on the S&N wagon- that is, it is in line with their supposition that both ZMS and S&N are scum. They finally do switch to ZMS however:
Apologies for the many posts and the confusion. We had a bit of an internal misunderstanding of who we wanted to vote for.

Personally I feel like Scumlord deserves to die. Any implosion should not be rewarded. But in all honesty, mafia members rarely implode... Lynching probably wouldn’t do more than to set an example.
Thus, I prefer to lynch ZMS. He’s already been at the top of my scumlist for ages. We just agreed internally that we’ll go for ZMS. So we’re going to change our vote.

I’m using my phone right now so I won’t go in more details for now, I already explained my suspicions against them in previous posts. Just posting this to fix a misunderstanding. (Koki)

Unvote: Scumlord and Noobs
Vote: Zinn Mask Salesman
This quote is important because there is clearly an internal conflict going on. Officer Snake does not want to vote for ZMS, yet Kokirion does (apparently). This internal conflict is also unexpected to me if they are town- confbias suggests that Kokirion is pushing Officer Snake to bus ZMS, which Officer Snake is loathe to do, simply preferring to distance from ZMS and then lynch S&N as wolves, whereas as town they would simply be arguing about which to vote for which both seems uncalled for this early and would have ramifications that would be noticeable from their tone later on (it seems they are not constantly at odds with each other at this point, that is). No real conclusion can be pulled from that.

I disagree. Imagine both of them are scum. ZMS probably thought S&N was done for at first and decided to bus them. Now the tables flipped, but obviously there wouldn't be any way back anymore. I don't think they cannot be of the same alignment.
Are you sneaking that thought into our heads to save S&N when ZMS flips scum?
This was brought up earlier- this does look like TMI regarding ZMS.
why would early voters be scummy?
Read: "why am I suspicious?"
That's plenty of time to gather evidence. Come up with something solid, or don't mention it if it is still only based on a gutfeeling. That's an easy way to make someone look suspicious
Read: "why am I suspicious?" This post is also bad because it is either full of shade towards thesunspear or it is full of Aflame being extremely worried about looking suspicious.
The easiest way to defend a scummate under fire is not by protecting them directly, that makes you look suspicious afterall. The best way is to distract people from the wagon by pointing new fingers here and there to divert attention.
This is also technically shade, but it is also a glimpse into Aflame's worldview, as they are one of the players in this game who have delineated into S&N wagon=scummy/ZMS wagon=towny. I think it is an important piece of the puzzle.
It was already clear that ZMS was gonna be ahead in votes for several hours. Why only jump on the rival wagon right before the end of the day? Nothing held you back from doing this before. Seems opportunistic now
I'm highlighting this quote because it barely leaks an interesting mindset regarding ZMS. At the time the wagon was 3 players on S&N compared to five on ZMS. Not only is this vote on S&N from T&H here not necessarily bad, it almost looks like Aflame is anxious about ZMS flipping and any opposition to the wagon is uncalled for. More shade on T&H too.
All conversation after this point follows the same flow:
Aflame asks "why did you vote for S&N when ZMS is ahead"
T&H responds "I just saw the votecount and realized I was on a useless wagon"
Aflame asks "why did you vote for S&N just now? You must have known for hours about the votecount"
T&H responds "I did not see a vote count as I have not been on"
Aflame asks "why did you not vote for S&N before?"

Do you start to see how terrible this looks for aflame? They are constantly asking T&H bad questions that have already been answered. Finally Aflame asks a catch-22:
And “I didn’t realise I was voting for someone irrelevant at this point”. How can you not realise that for so many hours? Either that was a lie (this a scumtell) or you spoke the truth, implying that you probably didn’t really care that much (also a scumtell, because who we lynch doesn’t seem to matter that much then?)
This is the icing on the cake as Duskfall has already explained that as he hasn't been on he hasn't seen the votecount and Aflame is still questioning it. Yes, Dusk is possibly lying (which apparently makes him scum? I guess scum would lie about it) or he's telling the truth, WHICH IS THE TRUTH. I am so flipping frustrated with some of the players in this game. Aflame is one of them for this reason. We can see here that their "reads" are locked in, and everything they see at that point is just evidence to serve toward that conclusion. They are locked into confirmation bias and it is part of the reason I do not really want to participate in this game right now, because I will not be convincing a large portion of players in this game of anything- they already have their suppositions and will not listen to reason. Proof is the conversation that immediately follows, where T&H literally call Aflame out on their confirmation bias ("So I am scum either way") and Aflame calls it OMGUS.

This is not so much me scum reading Aflame but rather me being frustrated with how poorly this slot is playing. That being said, I maintain that their actions to this point are a stronger indicator of a wolf than town and I will not rest easy unless T&H flip scum. In this vein I agree with a T&H lynch for today even if it is probably just mafia making me take an extra step.

Zinn Mask Salesman died
Hydreigon & Shelgon GX-
Another one of the players in the "S&N wagon scummy/ZMS wagon towny" camp. They are so oblivious to their own tunneling and confbias that I have not even bothered responding to their simple questions because I have no doubt that they would find a way to turn it into a scum read on me. It is frustrating playing with people like this. Rather than be swayed by the logic of their partner, the partner has instead succumbed to the mob mentality and lack of reason of the original tunneler. It leaves me in a position where they ask me to defend myself (presumably with logic) and yet do not care to listen to said logic. Why would I even try? I have played with people like this before. I know how it ends.

He hasn't come on at all today. I'm getting a bit worried now...
Anyway, as stated earlier, thesunspear didn't explain their supposed Town reads, or even try to the best of their ability.
This is where the tunneling begins. They are focused on me and my reads rather than anyone else and their reads. I did not initially respond to this post because they were wrong- I had explained how I felt about both MNH and RR at the time, and felt the reads were pure enough for the town circle. It seems not immediately bending over backwards to respond to cruddy allegations is a mistake on bulbagarden, one that I keep making.

Also, I will be honest. I despise this player's tone. Regarding conversation about majority, about S&N flipping town- they are constantly acting as though they are in a position of authority when they have not earned that authority. They also keep complaining about someone posting maybe four or five times in a row when they pull crap like this:
Hey y’all, here I am! Sorry I was absent so much in the last half of D1.

I reaaaally was!
D’aww, I’m touched. No reason to worry. :bulbaLove:
Preparing for and subsequently celebrating Easter/my brother’s birthday took a lot of my time. Holy heck, all those pages to catch up on...anyways, I’d like to express my satisfaction in how the lynch turned out! But R.I.P. S&N. I’ll admit that I was seriously Town reading Bok though. now excuse me while I delete the parts of this post I prepared in advance about why I thought this.
Oh, you weren’t kidding.
I’ll be watching out for any defenses of Zinn Mask Salesman from D1 while reading back, as well as ZMS’ assessments of others.
Dum dum, though not the first to vote ZMS, were the first to call out ZMS for this, which strengthens my Town read on them. Kudos, ya dum dums! :p
The point is that reaching such a threshold is not more important than having time to discuss things, and arguing against an easier-to-trigger hammer (or any hammer at all) isn’t scummy.
As a general point, the second paragraph makes sense to me. But knowing now that Zinn was Mafia makes me wonder whether the fact that Aflame was the only person they critiqued with this post means that Aflame is actually Town. Actually, reading forward, this isn’t the only time ZMS throws shade on Aflame, which occurs more after Aflame calls out ZMS here:
^ Koki is one of Aflame’s heads, so there’s an instance of the continued shade thrown on them by ZMS.
This bit from T&H strikes me as odd. Not just for calling wall posts inherently anti-Town, but because it looks like they’re basically saying they’re going to avoid making long posts for the sake of not looking scummy. Yes, image is important for any alignment of player, but when trying not to look scummy takes priority over doing something that could be helpful, that makes me leery of you. Could this also mean that T&H is afraid that by making longer posts, they’ll have a greater chance of scumslipping? It’s something to think about.
I will concede, however, I like their calling out of spear’s premature “Town core” here. (Speaking of, spear, it’s not so much acknowledging that you’re Town [if you even are Town] in the thread that people can see as suspicious, but the fact that placing yourself in a “Town core” suggests that the other players should automatically make that assumption.) So maybe it’s not that T&H have done anything inherently scummy, just that I personally find their aversion to wallposts completely absurd, and for that reason their posts about that felt off to me.
Agree with this calling out of sunspear’s weird supposed attempt at generating activity.
So ZMS “suspected,” and later voted, S&N when challenged...makes me think they might have been trying to go for an understandable but easy mislynch.
Lol, you and I both, host.
Heck, you’re dead scum, and I feel ya here. The frustration is real!!
Maybe it’s the fact that I was gone for a like day that was compounding my frustration with all the tiny, numerous shitposts I had to suffer through, but I srsly cannot stress my agreement enough. Something should really be done about thi—
OH MY GOD, THANK YOU.
That is an interesting point, not sure it makes them scum but good to keep in mind.
I agree with the thought behind this post, Aflame placing the vote on S&N while saying they looked like newbie Town and they were suspecting ZMS was pretty weird and not exactly justified by their explanation.
But this is the starting vote for the Zinn wagon, huh? :lapras: And then they continued to push lynching ZMS over the “okay” Noobs wagon. Makes it that much harder to see Aflame as scum in retrospect.
Tbh this post bothers me. Bok had just done a PBP of Restless, who yes, has been pretty guilty of fluffposting half the time, and Sunspear tries to turn it around like Bok’s note for each fluffpost is fluff itself. Looks like a flawed attempt at a redirection of attention/shade on Bok that doesn’t sit right with me. Heck, if either Ridge or Sunspear turn up Mafia at any point, I figure the two could be scumbuds and suggest we look more closely at the other one.
Y’all should join a game hosted by me sometime, I don’t require unvoting to change votes! :p
Oh yeah, and refusing to answer questions (unless it’s for denying the scum info they could easily use against us) isn’t very helpful for the Town, even if the other person did it first. Also, I may have missed what you’re referring to while skimming this big-ass thread but when did Bok do that? :unsure:
I feel no need to quote the exact posts here, but T&H’s suspicion/voting of Lone_Wolf seems unjustified to me. Meanwhile, Mafia Nursing Home’s vote change to the Zinn wagon helped pivot our lynch in the favorable direction we all saw it go in, so I feel like MNH gets some Town points for that one. LatB’s voting behavior I’m iffy on, it seems they were testing the waters with other, less popular wagons and then settled on voting S&N over ZMS. Not sure if the pushes were genuine or attempts to save ZMS.
Or maybe I suspected you for the actual reasons I gave in the post that you quoted, which this joke of yours seems to continue the trend of dismissing entirely.
I know this was asked earlier, and I can’t speak for how Max feels about Sunspear right now, buuut honestly? Reading through the thread, I’m mot feeling any better about them.
I don’t understand this. I also noticed earlier T&H talking with Ridge about LW supposedly having too much info about S&N, but where exactly did this idea come from? Could one of those three players clarify this?
Especially in light of how the lynch turned out (granted, the lynch obviously happened after these posts), I’m personally in disagreement with these reads. Imo, dum dum has appeared very logical and provocative with their questions (or at least one of their heads has, I guess?)
I wouldn’t call this a reason to scumread them considering their level of contribution, although I am curious if anyone else from ZD can back up this claim about that particular head of dum dum’s meta, just so I can know whether or not spear is just pulling a scum read out of their ass here. :p
This is another post by DDI that I can seriously understand and relate to—wait what do you mean it’s not game-related content? Nevermind!!
Cute justification for prematurely considering unconfirmed people Town :bulbaLove:
A...wut? I don’t understand this enough to comment on it.
A sorta half-hearted defense...thing about ZMS. Weeeiiird.
Not reads, but acting like players are confirmed Town when they’re not. As you subsequently mentioned, yes reads can change (even my top Town reads now I could turn on later if I have a good reason!), but calling unconfirmed people a “Town core” seems to me the opposite of being open-minded towards the possibility that they’re scum. That’s how it comes across to me.
Wait, do you think that’s my reasoning? When did I mention an actual “slip?” Because I’m pretty sure that “scumslip” part came from a dodgy joke post made by Sunspear themself, which I have quoted somewhere higher up in this post.
Chillian held their position on wanting to lynch the Noobs, then posted this to try and get ZMS to defend themselves. Not instascum but it’s noteworthy considering the flip.
Hm.
Why did you say this about S&N, especially when you were scumreading them?
Oh yeah, this was a legitimate reason to not waste a Cop check on them, spear, but do tell me what yours was.

Just...excuse me, what? Why?? What is the Town motivation for intentionally lynching a Miller??

Oh for the love of...no, just no. Please tell me what I think happened to S&N didn’t happen...

The fact that a Mafioso can rarely pull off a successful Miller fakeclaim here already makes it a bad option for them. Lynching someone who is likely the Miller would be shooting ourselves in the foot. Not that S&N is alive to vouch for now, like when I first started writing my response.

Hmm, besides spear, I have my suspicions on Ridge, T&H, and maybe LatB to an extent. They’ve all done some things that seem contributive but others that strike me as suspicious. Spear definitely hasn’t wowed me so far, and the T&H vote looks like it could be promising.
vote: Tommy & Hal
I literally cannot respond to every single point in this post. That is the insidious purpose behind wallposting. You will never ever be able to respond to every single point unless you divvy it up into smaller quotes. Oh, is this what you do anyway? You know what makes that easier? Multiposting! Checkmate. Quit wallposting. T&H is right, it's anti-town. I hope you enjoy this.
In fact, it is so hard to fairly respond to this wallpost that I get irrationally angry just thinking about how I could possibly even begin to try. The best I can do is say "you are completely wrong, go back to the drawing board and play better. Otherwise I would have to divide each paragraph up on my own by inserting quote tags around them, and then the resulting post would be twice as large as the original. It is an unending cycle and a slippery slope.
Regarding confirmation bias, here is proof: I am assuming you are the head who originally thought I looked quite good on day one. Now here you are saying thesunspear "definitely hasn't wowed [you] so far". Do you see how far you have slipped? You don't. You're confbiasing and tunneling. Right now you are reading this and thinking "wow that is so scummy, he's pushing on me way too hard to be town."

It's just sadly the case. If I really hated you, I would respond to every single line in your wallpost. But as is so often the case, I'd rather be scumhunting. You are probably town, so honestly this tirade at you is enough of a waste of my time. I should be focusing on other players. This is why I am not responding to you. You are literally not worth my time. Between your tunneling, failure to comprehend my posts, and weird worldview it is completely -EV for me to spend any more time trying to convince you I am town.
Hmm, interesting how Sunspear still hasn’t answered my question about why they said they didn’t want an investigation on S&N before the whole Miller revelation. (And tbh I’m getting slightly paranoid that their “we should kill that guy” about S&N after S&N claimed was actually about NK’ing and was meant for the scum chat, though there’s no way to prove this)
It is almost as if not investigating a player who needs to die regardless is simply logic, and I honestly thought it needed to be spelled out because players like you are in this game.
Sunfan is probably right and I will sheep the better player here.
Chillian-
It's easier than trying to read people rn
This is the first truly notable post from Chillian and I soulread it town. Feels so open to me. Indeed, this openness is something I scry from nearly all of Chillian's posts. I imagine there is a decent bit of conversation between the heads, but their interactions with the thread read mostly like someone who is a bit too open with their life on social media. For that reason I do not see Chillian being a wolf here, but it surely depends on who is making the posts. I always historically struggle with reading DekuNut as he remains quite tonally neutral regardless of alignment. This, at best, is me squeezing my eyes shut and praying for the best.
Bok's Lovechild Dead
Mafia Nursing Home-
Mafia Nursing Home was a player I was attached to early on as I felt they were mindmelding with me almost perfectly on day one. Right now they are one of the players succumbing to hindsight bias and as they were making so much sense on day one I feel rather alienated by posts like this:
I only saw the pages of T&H/Aflame back-and-forth after phase update happened, but with the power of hindsight, it is not a good look for Tommy and Hal. I'd almost say it was too obvious scum to come in so late after not having many memorable posts before that and then try to push the Scumlords and Noobs wagon when the votes were tight, but ZMS was part roleblocker, and I could see where mafia would want to hold on to that ability. There was a tie from this vote IIRC up until Lone Wolf tipped the votes toward Zinn Mask Salesman.
There's also this from earlier in D1:
As D1 went on, I think that Lone Wolf started to look much better, particularly coming in late here with:
that sealed ZMS's fate, while also reaffirming their belief of S&N as town (and doing so further after this, standing up for the miller claim, which I fully understand their rationale on given Bulba's site culture).
That Tommy and Hal jumped from Lone Wolf (who I'm leaning town on now) to Scumlords and Noobs so late in what could easily be seen as a last-ditch effort to save Zinn Mask Salesman and maybe leave us with no flip info due to a no lynch makes me very suspicious of that slot, especially given how long they held that Lone Wolf vote despite noting all the while that they found S&N's self-vote super scummy and that was a viable wagon the entire time that they could have been on prior to near phase end.
VOTE: Tommy and Hal
Also, on a sort-of related note, I'm not digging the way Hydreigon & Shelgon GX kept that vote on Sunspear and didn't move it to a wagon that mattered, especially when the votes were pretty tight for a decent period of time. It leaves us with little concrete of their thoughts on the dead players so far, and that may have been on purpose since the slot seemed uninterested in engaging with the thread and any of the main suspects after making up their mind on Sunspear.
They acknowledge that their reasoning is bolstered by "the power of hindsight"; as in, they are looking at the conversation with context that the participants assumably did not have. This is a poor method for solving and it means there is a good chance the conclusion is inherently flawed (that is, if they are indeed right, they are automatically right for the wrong reasons, which is not necessarily a bad thing imo- but I digress), and it also just seems wrong to me- in hindsight, I still think T&H look miles better than Aflame from this conversation. The fact that MNH is no longer reading the game the same way as me is jarring and makes me think I need to reconsider the slot.
I don't know if my other head responded to this or not yet, but for the sake of transparency in what could have been a very subtle move, you've quoted us as saying something we never said. Aflame said this, not us. Though it might just be a formatting error, it's a huuuuge ping for me.
This is actually interesting- the links take you back to a post by Mafia Nursing Home yet the words contained in the quote are not present. This is accurate- MNH never said this. I do not think scum T&H go to the lengths of deleting the contents of a quote and replacing it, though. More likely a site error as I know my partner and I have been having weirdness take place when we both are typing.
Lone Wolf-
I do not see much time in revisiting this slot; I was likely wrong. I do not think it is a game winning play to place a deciding vote on your partner, as odds are you will die regardless throughout the course of the game.
leetic and the band-
My partner thinks you are town. I disagree. My original scum read of you was simultaneously a legitimate scum read based on meta knowledge of Funnygurl and an activity read, and a sort of "bait" to see how you would respond, as it were. My suspicion was heightened after your read list as you read me town. When I asked for clarification, this was the response:
It looked like you were actually making an effort to read the game, unlike most of the people posting here. Your latest post before I started making the list, even though it suspected me, was the main reason.
The reason this concerns me is because I was actually afraid that this was the exact reason LATB was town reading me. I have no statistics to back it up, but I have always believed that scum are more likely to instinctively town read players who scum read them as an attempt to placate them. As a result this was a huge ping for me and trended them greatly downwards.
Why would town need to hesitate to vote? Seems more to me like scum concerned about their image.
However, this post regarding Aflame made an impression on my mind. It is what bolsters the read on Aflame being afraid to lynch townies. It comes together for a compelling case on Aflame when you consider this in conjunction with their attitude toward players sussing them (recall "why am I suspicious?" ad nauseam). For this reason I see a logical conclusion that LATB and Aflame are not partners, though I still strongly suspect one of the two is a wolf.
By (not so) popular demand, the return of the rainbow read list, based on interactions with ZMS:
Aflame
Mafia Nursing Home
Restless_Ridge
Lone_Wolf
dum dum idiots
Hydreigon and Shelgon GX
Chillian
thesunspear
Tommy and Hal
This was something that did not sit well with me. I understand that this read list is based only on interactions with a known wolf, but it is here as a summation of the entirety of LATB's activity during this time. The quotes they selected were extremely choosy and they missed out on several interactions. In addition, the selections were extremely confbiasy, which I attempted to point out:
I don't like this. "Come up with a reason for why I should not vote you"
I want to pick at this, why is asking someone to come up with reasons to not vote for them bad?
It's an easy maneuver to make when they're scum together
isn't it also a good way to pressure someone?
Possibly, but I don't like the way they worded it
Here I cleanly pointed out their confirmation bias, as it is showing hard in this specific example. The final response was a major deflection and I had no way to really respond to it. Note how they refused to admit that asking someone to explain why they are scum could actually be towny- because it breaks their worldview. It is pure confirmation bias and despite me pointing it out and them they did not acknowledge it in their further analyses. Essentially, we should not be trusting LATB's analysis of interactions with ZMS at best. At worst they are scum and trying to push a false narrative, but I suppose I need to allow players to make mistakes otherwise the lynch pool is extremely large, no?
The interactions of Zinn Mask Salesman and thesunspear
Final one! Not a whole lot from ZMS's end
Response to ZMS asking for people to post reads, and the first real interaction.
Debates ZMS over his questionable read on S&N. This goes on for some time.
Overall, enough for distancing but not enough to put ZMS in real danger.
Calls ZMS for not having any real reads... like everyone else was doing
Oh dear.
Tried to resist it to the end, but it was inevitable.
Conclusion: Nothing that looks particularly good for them, thus they are a suspect.
Indeed, including this post. OMGUS! Of course! Despite thesunspear actually being one of the players to pressure ZMS in the beginning, we can see LATB's confirmation bias leaking through- otherwise they would never say "enough for distancing". To say so implies that you are reading it with the assumption that we are both scum to begin with (hence confirmation bias). It further manifests itself with phrases like "like everyone else was doing" despite not saying as such while checking interactions between these "everyone else"-es. Do you see? This player is not one who is reaching conclusions naturally. They have their world planned and are trying to build to it. Lynchable. I disagree with my other head, I really think LATB is a wolf.

Scumlords and Noobs Dead, thank heavens.
Tommy and Hal-
I honestly believe they are town. Given the state of things, it seems they are resigned to the lynch and nobody on the wagon can be convinced otherwise. Additionally, I would be lying if I said I did not want to see their flip just to dispel the tiny voice.
Unfortunately I have to cut the post off here as it is getting late. The last three players will be judged tomorrow.

Sunfan says he wants to lynch T&H but doesn't want to put them at L-1

gummy is doing as expected and actually contributing now. Good to have you back friend :)
:bulbaLove:

Things should really be more active here, I've seen several games where scum was lynched D1 but town still lost because they became complacent
work n school bb i am an adult™
The one thing that I don't like is that it kind of feels like LG is mailing it in on trying to pick out town/scum beyond the wagon yesterday; like she's not really trying on it.
i don't really understand what this means. would you mind rewording it?
I am fine with voting the person everyone else has voted for. I think them not showing up is scummy.
agreed
Sunfan says he wants to lynch T&H but doesn't want to put them at L-1
relatable

In my next post I'll give a serious response to thesunspear's wall, but I first really want to comment on this quote because this deserves a seperate post.

I am so flipping frustrated with some of the players in this game. Aflame is one of them for this reason.
This shitpost makes me genuinely angry. All the freaking time in this game do people comment on others being shit, or that one of the hydra's is shit. You're not the only one to do that, btw. I'm really fed up with posts I have seen from the beginning of the game that either say something like "Officer snake should just stop posting", or "Kokirion plays shit", and comparing what head pasted what to constantly call out that you think that head is shit. And we are not the only victim of that.
This post as well. Shame on you.
@funnier6 @Mellow Ezlo
I'm mentioning you guys because I am really angry at these constant personal attacks people make towards each other in this game. I'm not gonna continue to play this game if this goes on.

I was not around at EOD but my other head was. He apparently felt it best to keep the vote I placed on Sunspear. I possibly would’ve changed it to ZMS if I were around, but there’s no point arguing that either way and I still don’t care for Sunspear’s behavior regardless.

If the Chillian bit was a joke, then Sunspear did a shit job of conveying such clearly. And see above for the other part of my response to this.

Allow me to say that I have legit no clue what my other head was thinking when he posted that bit. Your conclusion is incorrect but I can see how you’d draw it from that post.
The bit you’re replying to is also from my other head, so I actually can’t explain the reasoning but I can provide you the context. He was replying to the below post by MNH, who was responding to his, err, secret reason for Townreading S&N I guess.
I'm also not sure why we were on LW, but I guess I'll ask at some point
@Restless_Ridge @Hydreigon & Shelgon GX on one hand i'm really glad that y'all acknowledged my posts but on the other hand nothing was answered lmao. in the future i'd love an actual answer. if you don't know you don't know and that's cool but i've gained nothing except validation. everyone and their mother knows i love validation and attention but it doesn't really help me get a solid read lmfao
it feels like you're content to lynch all of the S&N voters in a row and haven't given too much thought beyond that
my partner might be, but i'm not. currently i'm asking questions to get a better read on players i'm having trouble reading instead of just assuming S&N vote = scum, ZMS vote = town. although, I've looked through the ZMS wagon and honestly i can't find a player to scumread.
"Zinn Mask Salesman- 6 (Aflame, BLC, S&N, MNH, ddi, LW)" (LG note: it took me combing the player list multiple times to realize BLC is bok's lovechild lmfao)
two players are dead, a town and a 3p, one player is me, the remaining 3 i have no reason to scumread. although i will admit, i have a habit of keeping kokirion at a towny arm's length just because that's the way i interact with him. i have a thing where the longer a game goes on the higher the likelihood that he's the remaining scum. (aka townread him the first day and then slowly back away from that as time goes on. is it a shitty strategy? yea probably lmfao but i find him so damn hard to read)

I've posted my thoughts on other players, and as i've just mentioned above i'm perfectly happy with a T&H lynch. i'm anticipating their defense, if they ever show up to post one.

hey @funnier6 going forward, can we also get a list of players who aren't currently voting when we get a vote count? thanks pal uwu

Guys please, let's try not to let this get too personal. Mafia is meant to be fun for everybody. Disagreeing with a player is one thing, calling them out as bad players is another thing entirely. Try to remain civil and keep your arguments related to the actual content of the game, not the skill of the players. I am not calling any particular slot out because I have seen it in a few posts. Just cut it out entirely and play the game as it should be played.

We do not want to have to ask again. I would also like to ask that nobody responds to this post as this discussion ends here.

Thank you.

Now, onto your wall.

Aflame-
I started looking into Aflame at EOD. I did not want to do so as a means to violently flip the wagons so close to end of day, which is why I did not immediately make a case on them (and because of external factors like being a human being). What initially pinged me was their mention of percentages near end of day:

I do not like this idea of justifying a town lynch because "they are statistically more likely to be town". The way it is written here and in context, it feels like a way to justify a mislynch. Aflame's progression leading up to the lynch leads me to believe they thought both ZMS and S&N would flip scum.
The percentages...
Anyone who knows me (can any other ZD player comment on this as well?) knows that I always think and post like that. I do that regardless of my alignment, that's just my mindset.
Furthermore, the original accusation on me was based on the idea that I was preparing myself for a ZMS town-flip by saying that I can never be sure of him being scum anyway. Now, in that light your accusation would hold ground. I suppose that if ZMS had flipped town I could see why someone would make that connection. It would've only been my word against yours. However, he didn't flip town, he was mafia, so there goes this read.

These reads lists just confuse me more than anything because they are essentially inverted from the previous day and are based off of faulty logic (we were "quite opposed" to the ZMS lynch???). Despite this complete inversion, they are aware of the inconsistency and point it out in every single read: "I was not scum reading sunspear until this morning", "Leetic and the band moved up the town ladder", etc. Being inconsistent is not a big deal but I feel like there is an incongruity between what is written and what I think would be an acceptable reason to flip a read on someone. As a way to better communicate to me your mental machinations (as you are currently- along with several other players in this game- a massive ??? to me), I would like to see you justify these reads with actual quotes that complement your flips:
-thesunspear
-restlessridge
-dum dum idiots
-leetic and the band
Okay. Fair request. When I'll find more time I'll delve more into quotes from you and restless.
Not into quotes from DDI and LatB. I clearly mentioned why I townread LatB, because of his recent analyses. He made a lot, I don't see how quoting all of those in one post and then saying that I think these were genuine analyses benefits anything. Same for DDI. In the case of DDI, all I said was that I'm no longer thinking that they are scumleaning, but think they are townleading, I explained why. Townleaning is also not the same as certainly town, by the way, since I explicitly mentioned that I also didn't find any major towntells in their behaviour so far yet. So I don't see what I need to quote there right now.

You say my reads list is inverted from the previous day and based on faulty logic. You didn't quote my reads list either, or mention specifically what I inverted there, or why it is strange that I mention I didn't scumread you yet until this morning? I mean, it's fair of you to ask me for more quotes, but you too could've backed these claims up with some more quotes, or backed up your claim that I didn't paraphrase/quote you properly with some quotes of your own?

I also want you to commit to H&S GX and Chillian, as there is not really a reason for them to still be null at this point in the game. You are highlighting a lot of their [GX] scummy behavior but balance it out with "they have a town read"? How does this make sense? I understand null reading Chillian personally but the only point you have against them is that you feel they are under the radar. Do you not believe this is a reason to scum read them proper? If you believe they could be UTR as either alignment, why are you unaware of your confirmation bias in other areas?
I think we are well-committed to H&S and Chillian. Regarding H&S, we mentioned what we saw as town- and scumtells. The scumtells didn't yet weigh up strongly enough to put them on my scumlist. That's my current read on them. Might change in the future. Regarding Chillian, I also gave my opinion on that. I could very well see that as a scum move, but would now first like to see them taking risks. I asked them for a reads list. I will make up my mind about them after they do that. Then we will discuss their alignment again.

For those of you following along, this post begins a short series where Aflame digs into S&N for their infamous crappy readlist. The reason I bring this up is because it seems they were set to vote on the S&N wagon- that is, it is in line with their supposition that both ZMS and S&N are scum. They finally do switch to ZMS however:

This quote is important because there is clearly an internal conflict going on. Officer Snake does not want to vote for ZMS, yet Kokirion does (apparently). This internal conflict is also unexpected to me if they are town- confbias suggests that Kokirion is pushing Officer Snake to bus ZMS, which Officer Snake is loathe to do, simply preferring to distance from ZMS and then lynch S&N as wolves, whereas as town they would simply be arguing about which to vote for which both seems uncalled for this early and would have ramifications that would be noticeable from their tone later on (it seems they are not constantly at odds with each other at this point, that is). No real conclusion can be pulled from that.
Very well, about that miscommunication. I live in an Asian time-zone, Officer snake in a European one. sometimes I make posts, and then when I go to bed Snake continues but with a fresh mind, and vice-versa. At the start of the game I could see why this sometimes gave a feeling of: intro to story A (koki) --> core to story A (Koki) [now Koki goes to bed and is replaced by Snake) --> intro to story B --> core to story B [now Snake goes to bed and is replaced by Koki] --> conclusion to story A [now Snake joins again] --> conclusion to story B.
We simply had not discussed our reads with each other yet at the time. I was already leaning on ZMS for quote some time, not so much on S&N after their implosion. ZMS, however, still thought S&N was scum. I was writing towards accusing ZMS when Snake joint in and solidified our vote (which wasn't valid at first because we didn't unvote) on S&N. We then discussed internally what to do. There Snake said he was also scumreading ZMS (though S&N was his favourite at the time), because we both had common grounds on voting for ZMS we switched.

Read: "why am I suspicious?" This post is also bad because it is either full of shade towards thesunspear or it is full of Aflame being extremely worried about looking suspicious.

This is also technically shade, but it is also a glimpse into Aflame's worldview, as they are one of the players in this game who have delineated into S&N wagon=scummy/ZMS wagon=towny. I think it is an important piece of the puzzle.
Yes, exactly. The "Why am I suspicious" is exactly how I wanted it to be read.

I'm highlighting this quote because it barely leaks an interesting mindset regarding ZMS. At the time the wagon was 3 players on S&N compared to five on ZMS. Not only is this vote on S&N from T&H here not necessarily bad, it almost looks like Aflame is anxious about ZMS flipping and any opposition to the wagon is uncalled for. More shade on T&H too.
Aflame asks "why did you vote for S&N just now? You must have known for hours about the votecount"

Do you start to see how terrible this looks for aflame? They are constantly asking T&H bad questions that have already been answered. Finally Aflame asks a catch-22:

This is the icing on the cake as Duskfall has already explained that as he hasn't been on he hasn't seen the votecount and Aflame is still questioning it. Yes, Dusk is possibly lying (which apparently makes him scum? I guess scum would lie about it) or he's telling the truth, WHICH IS THE TRUTH. I am so flipping frustrated with some of the players in this game. Aflame is one of them for this reason. We can see here that their "reads" are locked in, and everything they see at that point is just evidence to serve toward that conclusion. They are locked into confirmation bias and it is part of the reason I do not really want to participate in this game right now, because I will not be convincing a large portion of players in this game of anything- they already have their suppositions and will not listen to reason. Proof is the conversation that immediately follows, where T&H literally call Aflame out on their confirmation bias ("So I am scum either way") and Aflame calls it OMGUS.
Onto the T&H battle.
Let me redo this case in a very concise way, to explain both why we focussed so on T&H, why we found it so scummy, and why we think it is hella suspicious that you have been throwing shade at us for this, because I don't think you understood us here at all:

It may be my view on mafia, but this game is about establishing truths (don't read "the truth" here). Let's compare it to the middle ages in which we used to believe that the earth was flat. The earth must've definitely "looked" flat, and the flat-earth theory was able to explain everything around us. It was also the socially accepted truth (basically, a paradigm), so this functioned as a truth. Of course, now we know that the earth isn't flat, but at that time, there was no way to discard the possibility that the earth was flat.
It's the same for this game. All of us only know a glimpse of the real truth (our role pm, deaths, results from actions etc.). As townies, it is our goal to uncover this real truth, as mafia it is one's role to keep people away from this real truth. The simplified aims of town and mafia are, thus, as followed: As a townie you must search for a truth that explains everything, and then challenge it. Either way proof that it's true and win the game, or find out that it is faulty in the process and search for a new truth. Realising that you were wrong isn't bad in the slightest. In the contrary, it tells you a great deal about the game and will bring you closer to a better truth. As a mafia member, you should mostly do the same. Except, you should at any time try to ensure that there are other truths thinkable that are not the real truth. As long as that is the case, mafia can hide in the shadows. So, how to prove/break a truth? Well, in the case of the flat earth theory, just sail around the earth. Either you will find that the theory truly explains all (e.g. you catched scum) or you were wrong and you learn a great deal about what IS right.

So let's construct two all-explaining narratives for T&H, one explaining how they did what they did as a townie, and one explaining how they did it as scum.

Let's first then mention the actions of T&H that we will highlight here and try to explain from both narratives: (1) their little interaction with ZMS in day 1 despite having 100s of posts and 2 hydra heads in a small game; (2) their initially unexplained vote for S&N at EOD1; (3) their defense against Aflame's accusations during twilight day 1; (4) their immediate vote for Aflame on day 2; and (5) the misquote of MNH/Aflame on day 2.

Let's first read it from a town-narrative:
They were initially unconvinced by both the S&N and ZMS wagons. They focussed on other reads. At some point, and to them somewhat unexpectedly, the ZMS wagon grew. They didn't really agree with this, they believed more in their own reads that were neither S&N nor ZMS. However, they realised that voting for anyone else was pointless, so they voted for the person they found most scummy out of the two (not necessarily super scummy). They didn't explain their vote because it was both a sudden decision and since many other players had already commented on the two, and they simply agreed more with the explanations about why S&N could be scum. When Aflame then called them out for their late vote without explanation, they became wary of Aflame for focussing so much on them while they simply arrived late, had to make a quick decision and choose for the wagon that looked more promising. Aflame not accepting this explanation was scummy, as if Aflame was more set on branding them as scum than on actually discussing what they did. They had explained their reasons, nothing more could be added. The vote for Aflame on day 2 was because of Aflame's behaviour late day 1, which they found more important than Aflame's behaviour vis-à-vis ZMS. The later Aflame/MNH misquote was only a sloppy mistake.

Let's now read it from a mafia-narrative:
T&H had little interaction with ZMS because ZMS was their godfather, and with some votes slowly piling up against them, it wouldn't help ZMS to attack them even more. It would perhaps also be a bad idea to directly defend them, so focussing on other people completely may have been a good attempt to divert attention, hoping that the ZMS thingy would just pass on eventually. At the end of the day, they became more nervous, ZMS was a role that they truly couldn't lose at day 1. S&N was a fair alternative, there was already a large case built around them and few people would've seen it as scummy to suspect them. The votes between ZMS and S&N were not far apart, there was a genuine chance left for ZMS to survive. Aflame then calling out on them put them in trouble. Not only did this showcase their at least questionable last-minute vote, but this pressure on T&H for late-voting S&N also may discourage others from doing so, making ZMS' demise more likely. T&H strong counter-offensive was because they knew ZMS was scum and thus knew that Aflame's accusations wouldn't disappear like snow in the sun at the start of day 2. T&H then also chose for an immediate attack on Aflame on day 2 because they figured Aflame would get back to them sooner or later anyway, it was better to start the fight themselves. If Aflame would now be seen as town-leaning due to their early vote for ZMS, then many people may now also favour Aflame's side of the T&H/Aflame conflict EOD1, which means that they would be done for. Lastly, the misquote was because there was a need to challenge MNH, so T&H was looking for evidence to fit that. They accidentally mixed up stuff from Aflame and MNH, an accidental scum-slip.

To continue, let me flip the chessboard and look at the EOD1 T&H/Aflame battle from the point of view of "town"-T&H. T&H made a sloppy mistake. Not so much by late-voting S&N here, but by doing this without explaining why or responding to earlier requests to give their opinion about S&N and ZMS. The town-narrative was already explained above. The best T&H could have done in this fight was to (1) strengthen this town-narrative, and (2) just wait till day 2. To strengthen their town-narrative, they simply had to explain why they found S&N more suspicious than ZMS and just mention that in their hurry they forgot to explain this. If I were them, I would've compared ZMS/S&N here and explained my reasons for believing S&N was more scum. At least then their actions would've fit with the town-narrative. Secondly, because they voted for S&N they must have genuinely believed that S&N was more likely to be scum than ZMS. Plus, since they only joined last minute anyway, it seems likely that they didn't consider any of them to be overtly scummy. The chances, in their eyes, of ZMS flipping scum were, thus very small. So why cares about what Aflame pointed out. If ZMS is scum, it becomes a WIFOM at best (a coinflip), but ZMS even had a very small chance of being scum. So Aflame's accusation was at that point not evidence for them being scum anyway and the whole reasoning would dissappear when the twilight ended. So, all they should have done was to explain why they favoured S&N over ZMS and wait out until day 2 to discuss it further.

This is what struck me as most scummy. Because they became incredibly defensive, not in line with their actual (still save) position. They didn't explain their vote (only arguing that they woke up late) and acted as if it was already proven that ZMS was scum. This defensive reaction makes sense either on day 2 or if they already knew ZMS was scum (thus, being scum).

2 more things I want to mention about it.
First, why did we attack T&H ourselves so aggressively? Well, because we truly believed that ZMS was scum and saw this (1) as a potential attempt to stop his lynch, or that (2) this may attract others to do the same. We wanted to verify our truth, that ZMS was scum, so at this pont right before EOD we were not willing to let go of that without a fight. If T&H had done what I just mentioned above (explained their vote content-wise and just confidently wait until day 2), we would've still said to keep watching this, but there wouldn't be more to say. Because it was true, let's now first see the results. But their reliance on personal reasons (such as waking up late) and immediate threats to vote for us, seemed really off.

So, lastly, I just discussed 5 instances that can be explained by "they are scum" and no matter how I look at it, it seems hard to build a town-narrative. Of course, it can all be a coincidence. Maybe some things were sloppy mistakes, miscommunications between the heads and perhaps they felt so offended by us accusing them that they led these feelings get a bit too much a hold of them. Afterall, all 5 cases are WIFOMs in the end. But still 5 WIFOMs... it becomes harder and harder to disprove all of these accusations.
And that is also why I think that thesunspear is scummy. Because they keep defending T&H. You CAN still interpret it all in a town-way, but honestly though, they have some explaining to do... And to then call all these accusations "baseless nonsense" and obsessive behaviour is really quite extreme. It seems like either denial or an attempt to throw shade at Aflame.

trump makes all this fuss about building a border wall. little did he know that all he had to do was enlist a couple of twg players to get the job done

these wall posts man. they're massive

Aflame-

-thesunspear
-restlessridge
-dum dum idiots
-leetic and the band

This is not so much me scum reading Aflame but rather me being frustrated with how poorly this slot is playing. That being said, I maintain that their actions to this point are a stronger indicator of a wolf than town and I will not rest easy unless T&H flip scum. In this vein I agree with a T&H lynch for today even if it is probably just mafia making me take an extra step.

Zinn Mask Salesman died
Hydreigon & Shelgon GX-
Another one of the players in the "S&N wagon scummy/ZMS wagon towny" camp. They are so oblivious to their own tunneling and confbias that I have not even bothered responding to their simple questions because I have no doubt that they would find a way to turn it into a scum read on me. It is frustrating playing with people like this. Rather than be swayed by the logic of their partner, the partner has instead succumbed to the mob mentality and lack of reason of the original tunneler. It leaves me in a position where they ask me to defend myself (presumably with logic) and yet do not care to listen to said logic. Why would I even try? I have played with people like this before. I know how it ends.

This is where the tunneling begins. They are focused on me and my reads rather than anyone else and their reads. I did not initially respond to this post because they were wrong- I had explained how I felt about both MNH and RR at the time, and felt the reads were pure enough for the town circle. It seems not immediately bending over backwards to respond to cruddy allegations is a mistake on bulbagarden, one that I keep making.

Also, I will be honest. I despise this player's tone. Regarding conversation about majority, about S&N flipping town- they are constantly acting as though they are in a position of authority when they have not earned that authority. They also keep complaining about someone posting maybe four or five times in a row when they pull crap like this:

I literally cannot respond to every single point in this post. That is the insidious purpose behind wallposting. You will never ever be able to respond to every single point unless you divvy it up into smaller quotes. Oh, is this what you do anyway? You know what makes that easier? Multiposting! Checkmate. Quit wallposting. T&H is right, it's anti-town. I hope you enjoy this.
In fact, it is so hard to fairly respond to this wallpost that I get irrationally angry just thinking about how I could possibly even begin to try. The best I can do is say "you are completely wrong, go back to the drawing board and play better. Otherwise I would have to divide each paragraph up on my own by inserting quote tags around them, and then the resulting post would be twice as large as the original. It is an unending cycle and a slippery slope.
Regarding confirmation bias, here is proof: I am assuming you are the head who originally thought I looked quite good on day one. Now here you are saying thesunspear "definitely hasn't wowed [you] so far". Do you see how far you have slipped? You don't. You're confbiasing and tunneling. Right now you are reading this and thinking "wow that is so scummy, he's pushing on me way too hard to be town."

It's just sadly the case. If I really hated you, I would respond to every single line in your wallpost. But as is so often the case, I'd rather be scumhunting. You are probably town, so honestly this tirade at you is enough of a waste of my time. I should be focusing on other players. This is why I am not responding to you. You are literally not worth my time. Between your tunneling, failure to comprehend my posts, and weird worldview it is completely -EV for me to spend any more time trying to convince you I am town.

It is almost as if not investigating a player who needs to die regardless is simply logic, and I honestly thought it needed to be spelled out because players like you are in this game.
Sunfan is probably right and I will sheep the better player here.
Chillian-

This is the first truly notable post from Chillian and I soulread it town. Feels so open to me. Indeed, this openness is something I scry from nearly all of Chillian's posts. I imagine there is a decent bit of conversation between the heads, but their interactions with the thread read mostly like someone who is a bit too open with their life on social media. For that reason I do not see Chillian being a wolf here, but it surely depends on who is making the posts. I always historically struggle with reading DekuNut as he remains quite tonally neutral regardless of alignment. This, at best, is me squeezing my eyes shut and praying for the best.
Bok's Lovechild Dead
Mafia Nursing Home-
Mafia Nursing Home was a player I was attached to early on as I felt they were mindmelding with me almost perfectly on day one. Right now they are one of the players succumbing to hindsight bias and as they were making so much sense on day one I feel rather alienated by posts like this:

They acknowledge that their reasoning is bolstered by "the power of hindsight"; as in, they are looking at the conversation with context that the participants assumably did not have. This is a poor method for solving and it means there is a good chance the conclusion is inherently flawed (that is, if they are indeed right, they are automatically right for the wrong reasons, which is not necessarily a bad thing imo- but I digress), and it also just seems wrong to me- in hindsight, I still think T&H look miles better than Aflame from this conversation. The fact that MNH is no longer reading the game the same way as me is jarring and makes me think I need to reconsider the slot.

This is actually interesting- the links take you back to a post by Mafia Nursing Home yet the words contained in the quote are not present. This is accurate- MNH never said this. I do not think scum T&H go to the lengths of deleting the contents of a quote and replacing it, though. More likely a site error as I know my partner and I have been having weirdness take place when we both are typing.
Lone Wolf-
I do not see much time in revisiting this slot; I was likely wrong. I do not think it is a game winning play to place a deciding vote on your partner, as odds are you will die regardless throughout the course of the game.
leetic and the band-
My partner thinks you are town. I disagree. My original scum read of you was simultaneously a legitimate scum read based on meta knowledge of Funnygurl and an activity read, and a sort of "bait" to see how you would respond, as it were. My suspicion was heightened after your read list as you read me town. When I asked for clarification, this was the response:

The reason this concerns me is because I was actually afraid that this was the exact reason LATB was town reading me. I have no statistics to back it up, but I have always believed that scum are more likely to instinctively town read players who scum read them as an attempt to placate them. As a result this was a huge ping for me and trended them greatly downwards.

However, this post regarding Aflame made an impression on my mind. It is what bolsters the read on Aflame being afraid to lynch townies. It comes together for a compelling case on Aflame when you consider this in conjunction with their attitude toward players sussing them (recall "why am I suspicious?" ad nauseam). For this reason I see a logical conclusion that LATB and Aflame are not partners, though I still strongly suspect one of the two is a wolf.

This was something that did not sit well with me. I understand that this read list is based only on interactions with a known wolf, but it is here as a summation of the entirety of LATB's activity during this time. The quotes they selected were extremely choosy and they missed out on several interactions. In addition, the selections were extremely confbiasy, which I attempted to point out:

Here I cleanly pointed out their confirmation bias, as it is showing hard in this specific example. The final response was a major deflection and I had no way to really respond to it. Note how they refused to admit that asking someone to explain why they are scum could actually be towny- because it breaks their worldview. It is pure confirmation bias and despite me pointing it out and them they did not acknowledge it in their further analyses. Essentially, we should not be trusting LATB's analysis of interactions with ZMS at best. At worst they are scum and trying to push a false narrative, but I suppose I need to allow players to make mistakes otherwise the lynch pool is extremely large, no?

Indeed, including this post. OMGUS! Of course! Despite thesunspear actually being one of the players to pressure ZMS in the beginning, we can see LATB's confirmation bias leaking through- otherwise they would never say "enough for distancing". To say so implies that you are reading it with the assumption that we are both scum to begin with (hence confirmation bias). It further manifests itself with phrases like "like everyone else was doing" despite not saying as such while checking interactions between these "everyone else"-es. Do you see? This player is not one who is reaching conclusions naturally. They have their world planned and are trying to build to it. Lynchable. I disagree with my other head, I really think LATB is a wolf.

Scumlords and Noobs Dead, thank heavens.
Tommy and Hal-
I honestly believe they are town. Given the state of things, it seems they are resigned to the lynch and nobody on the wagon can be convinced otherwise. Additionally, I would be lying if I said I did not want to see their flip just to dispel the tiny voice.
Unfortunately I have to cut the post off here as it is getting late. The last three players will be judged tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom