• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Zorua/Zorark English name.

That was the name of a character, not the name of a pokemon.

Well, Chimchar is actually Hikozaru. Turtwig is Naetle. Piplup is Pochama. I think you get my point. Nintendo of America changes a ton of names, for reasons unknown to me, other than simplicity.

And Lucario was Lucario.

If the name sounds Japanese or is Japanese, it usually gets changed.

This name is sort of spanish.

And Lucario was Lucario.

If the name sounds Japanese or is Japanese, it usually gets changed.

This name is sort of spanish.

This is where I bring up Konami keeping the name Torunka in their game WC10. The name sounds very Japanese, but is kept. Maybe it has to do with the anime keeping the name (5Ds), but I always wondered why Nintendo of America changes the names. Come on, it 4kids keeps some names, I am sure a bigger company can as well.

You have a point that it's somewhat impossible to tell I they'll change a name or not for most Pokémon, but as I pointed out before, Pokémon that are the stars of their movies rarely if ever end up having different names in English than Japanese.

This is where I bring up Konami keeping the name Torunka in their game WC10. The name sounds very Japanese, but is kept. Maybe it has to do with the anime keeping the name (5Ds), but I always wondered why Nintendo of America changes the names. Come on, it 4kids keeps some names, I am sure a bigger company can as well.

It's because the Pokémon games are largely for a younger audience, and Japanese names would be much harder for non-Japanese kids to remember than pun-based portmanteau names in their own language. It's really not that hard to figure out, and I'm failing to see how it's such a bad thing like you seem to think.

I think the might stick with the same names. They might slightly change them. I know the dark type is called the "evil" type in Japan and zorua is classified as the "evil fox pokemon" so they'll probably change that to "dark fox pokemon" and change one or two letters in it's name.

Hey, are we going to have these threads for every pokemon announced prior to the game release?

Zorua and Zoroark are the official Romanization used in all the magazines. That's why they are used. Official Romanization > direct translation of katakana. So it is Zorua and Zoroark.

The problem is that the katakana spells the names as Zo-ro-a and Zo-ro-a-a-ku, yet the English names in Coro Coro translate the "Zo-ro" part differently, either into "Zoro" or Zoru."

So it's not the same as something like Ru-ka-ri-o and Lucario.

The problem is that the katakana spells the names as Zo-ro-a and Zo-ro-a-a-ku, yet the English names in Coro Coro translate the "Zo-ro" part differently, either into "Zoro" or Zoru."

So it's not the same as something like Ru-ka-ri-o and Lucario.

The fact that ゾロ is transliterated as "zoru" in one name and "zoro" in another, while puzzling, isn't a mistake. They're two separate official names. What happened to Lucarios name doesn't matter. This is how the Japanese names are officially spelled in English letters.

Yeah well the thing is there two types of Zora in the Legend of Zelda River Zora which at one point were called Zola that first debut in the frist game The Legend of Zelda, and the Sea Zora which were first debut on Ocarina of Time.

So yeah I say the name will stay as Zorua and Zorark besides they are fine as is there is no reason to change them, besides as pointed out Zoro is the Spanish word for fox.

~Charles Legend

Okay fine... here's my random speculation, since people seem to think it's possible.

Since Zorro is a spanish word and ark is obviously from dark... I think they'll stay the same. Safe and boring.

This. Both words are western, so it's not difficult to relate to for western audiences (even the English ones), therefore, it must likely stay as it is.
Anyways, I remember Masuda once said that important Pokémon are designed to have only one name universally, and with Zoroark being the the next movie's protagonist. At much, it might change into Zorroark for a proper spelling (just like Torterra isn't "Tortera").

Uh, no, it doesn't quite work like that. "Zorro" is copyrighted, not "zoro". :/
Hmmmmm, I wonder if FUNimation copyrighted the character 'Zoro' from One Piece.....

Zolua, Zoloark

Zorua, Zoroark, Zorark.

They all sound similar. I hope it's Zorua and Zoroark (or Zorark).

Hmmmmm, I wonder if FUNimation copyrighted the character 'Zoro' from One Piece.....

Zolua, Zoloark

Zorua, Zoroark, Zorark.

They all sound similar. I hope it's Zorua and Zoroark (or Zorark).

Well, "Zorro" is a common word, it's not like "Nintendo" or "Sony" which are proper names. Zorro is just the name of an animal. So they copyright only applies to related media, and I fail to see how the Pokémon franchise could relate to the Zorro character.

And no, with Zolua and Zoloark the portmanteau/pun is lost, and considering it's a western pun. So yeah... keep in mind that Nintendo does their research before they act., that's why I think they know for sure that it's safe for them to use the name. After all, the name is "Zoroark", not "Zorro" itself, so the copyright wouldn't be hurt. Trust me, I'm a lawyer.

I don't know about them using zorua, as the name zorua is already copyrighted. However, it's copyrighted as music.

Further research shows that names can't be copyrighted.

Well, "Zorro" is a common word, it's not like "Nintendo" or "Sony" which are proper names. Zorro is just the name of an animal. So they copyright only applies to related media, and I fail to see how the Pokémon franchise could relate to the Zorro character.

And no, with Zolua and Zoloark the portmanteau/pun is lost, and considering it's a western pun. So yeah... keep in mind that Nintendo does their research before they act., that's why I think they know for sure that it's safe for them to use the name. After all, the name is "Zoroark", not "Zorro" itself, so the copyright wouldn't be hurt. Trust me, I'm a lawyer.

There was a reason Funimation and 4kids could not air broadcast with Zoro being called Zoro, instead being called Zolo.

This. Both words are western, so it's not difficult to relate to for western audiences (even the English ones), therefore, it must likely stay as it is.
Anyways, I remember Masuda once said that important Pokémon are designed to have only one name universally, and with Zoroark being the the next movie's protagonist. At much, it might change into Zorroark for a proper spelling (just like Torterra isn't "Tortera").

It seems more likely that Zoroark is going to be an antagonist than a protagonist.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom