• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Legends Z-A Pokemon Legends Z-A General Speculation & Discussion

hm that's fair
shauna came to mind first for me, but i'd say she could also fall under that
Considering the series has the Star Wars approach (the infamous no hugging, no kissing), I highly doubt we'll see some sort of romantic development beyond that kind of ambiguous crushes, GF can be a bit lazy in the character dialogue department so I wouldn't bet on that horse. Let's add that most of the player characters are ten year olds on average, so that would be f-bomb weird to see.

The furthest we saw about this was Serena's farewell to Ash, and even that was offscreen. Yet Lumiose is Pokémon's Paris, maybe some sort of romantic undertones could be seen, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Last edited:
Let's add that most of the player characters are ten year olds on average, so that would be f-bomb weird to see.
That's just an anime thing, technically the youngest protagonist is Red at 11 years old. Atleast of those with an implied age.
Still weird I suppose but always need to make that correction. I feel like the average is probably more like, 13. Because for every Red or lGPE protag, theres a gen 5 or PLA who are implied to be more around 15/16.

Let's add that most of the player characters are ten year olds on average, so that would be f-bomb weird to see.

Not just weird to see, but if they go too far with romance for underaged characters it would be a MASSIVE controversy. They probably want to stay as far away from that as possible. That's probably the real reason that they go more for vague, ambiguous hints, they want to play it safe. Scenes such as the ones with Shauna and Lillie are probably the furthest they're willing to go.

Not just weird to see, but if they go too far with romance for underaged characters it would be a MASSIVE controversy.
Would it? It's never been a problem before with things like the anime. Theres a difference between "I like you" romance and "show two characters on screen make out" romance. The former is fine even with younger characters. The latter would be weird though yes.

Would it? It's never been a problem before with things like the anime. Theres a difference between "I like you" romance and "show two characters on screen make out" romance. The former is fine even with younger characters. The latter would be weird though yes.
it's kinda different in the games, though, at least if it involves the protagonist. adults play these games and ultimately the protagonists function as self-inserts so the idea of them "dating" an obviously minor character, even if it's forced upon them, would probably leave a bad taste in at least a few people's mouths, i would think.

it's kinda different in the games, though, at least if it involves the protagonist. adults play these games and ultimately the protagonists function as self-inserts so the idea of them "dating" an obviously minor character, even if it's forced upon them, would probably leave a bad taste in at least a few people's mouths, i would think.
Honestly, that’s fair. Though the solution would simply be to write a player character with some personality.
At least it will give Masters something to worth with other than using memes, game mechanics, and the anime to make personalities.

Not just weird to see, but if they go too far with romance for underaged characters it would be a MASSIVE controversy. They probably want to stay as far away from that as possible. That's probably the real reason that they go more for vague, ambiguous hints, they want to play it safe. Scenes such as the ones with Shauna and Lillie are probably the furthest they're willing to go.
Let's add Nintendo's reputation as a family-friendly squeaky clean company, obviously forgoing the skeletons in the closet, they don't want any sort of shade thrown at them, let alone that sort of stuff. Yes, I add Nintendo because alas, the Big N has GF under its wings, and Pokémon is basically a Nintendo exclusive, yes, The Pokémon Company is the brand representative, but any flak would hit all of them, GF, TPC and Nintendo, I seriously doubt all of 'em want to be associated with a game where you can date obvious minors despite not having established ages.

After all, they're known for playing it safe on everything they can, the family-friendly approach is what serves them better.

forgive me for all the double posting, but my silly head forgot to quote this.

The anime showed romance in the poops and giggles format and most of those interactions were outright goofy and cringey, which was their goal, romance was never handled seriously, and the only time it was somewhat played straight, it was offscreen!

The Pokémon Franchise is aimed at a younger audience, so I'm not surprised that they want to play it safe with Pokémon.

Also it's one of Nintendo's biggest cash cows, so any sort of controversy is bad for da business. Yeah, Legends is aimed at the older playerbase but that doesn't change that much the formula at all.

Honestly, that’s fair. Though the solution would simply be to write a player character with some personality.
At least it will give Masters something to worth with other than using memes, game mechanics, and the anime to make personalities.
I'd argue they do. It's not as obvious but theres clear personality in the dialogue choices. At least as of SV. Theres even minor development because as the game goes on the dialogue choices become more snarky (With the DLC letting you laugh when a character specifically asks you not to laugh).
The only other way would be to give the character explicit dialogue and such but i'd prefer they don't do that. At least not with the main games I... could see it working for a side thing like Legends.

Ash has been around in Pokémon for 25 years so technically he should be 35 by now but Pokémon logic ¯\(ツ)

I know he isn’t a player character, but I just felt like I should point that out-

LGBT issues are a bigger no-no in Japan than in the west
I don't think this is true. Many people in the west get this idea because LGBT themes get censored out of anime and games when they get localized for western markets, because the localizers think western markets are less keen on those things. It's true that their government are a bunch of conservative shitholes who don't like queer people, but the general public in Japan is far more accepting in this regard than their government. The majority of them support same-sex marriage.

see, the things with legends: arceus is that it made sense that you had to hide in things like grassy terrain and murky/muddy areas and whatnot... players were in the wilderness so it made sense that wilderness survival was the "theme" of sorts that catching pokemon was based on, so to speak.

in an urbanized kalos city, though? it's a whole different ball game. does one really need to hide and/or be sneaky in an environment where pokemon are used to being around people? obviously there's going to be items to stun them or make them easier to catch, but it's hard to say how much stealth would really play a factor in catching pokemon in z-a. i would imagine the catching style wouldn't deviate too much from what l:a had in the sense that catching pokemon from behind makes it easier, and there may be some aggressive pokemon here and there, and some that may run upon noticing the player... but the rest of it really is a big question mark.

Romance isn't exactly taboo for the genre, given its presence in media aimed at the same demographic. However, the lack of a social link-like feature makes it challenging to explore in-depth relationships.

The recent Scarlet and Violet games could've been the perfect opportunity to introduce such a system, but it seems like they missed the mark. Additionally, the age of the Legends protagonists, around 15-16, aligns with many Persona characters, highlighting a potential for similar narrative depth if only Pokémon would embrace it.

even if one were to go with the loosest possible way of building relationships with others a la persona-style... would that even be relevant in pokemon gaming? i'm curious how something like that would fit, narratively speaking.

Well, I would have preferred a Johto game (or at least a non-Legends game), but I'm excited about this, too! I'm assuming there will be real-time combat similar to PLA, which I'm dreading, but also more or less resigned and convinced that I can figure it out. Note to self: Don't ever go to the GameFAQs forums to ask for help...

I'm also assuming that the games are going to take place in the future. It makes sense, with SV's focus on past and future--PLA was in the past, PLZA will be in the future.

I'm not the type to be interested in speculating on starters, but it would be nice to see the original Kalos starters get some megas, if they're going to bring that mechanic. And, hey, how about some other Kalos Pokemon gaining megas? And why not some Gen VII, VIII, and IX megas while we're here? Mega Flamigo, anyone?

But in all seriousness, I am still looking forward to this game. It's always exciting when a new game for the main series drops--at least, it is for me.

Back
Top Bottom