• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Legends Z-A Pokemon Legends Z-A General Speculation & Discussion

That's definitely a possibility, but i feel like from a marketing standpoint, GF would be more inclined to have other starters, since if you're a fan of any of the Kalos starters cough Greninja cough then you'll be buying the game already, but if they have other popular starters too, then the fans of those starters will be buying the game too. Also, I feel like they might be worried that a Mega Greninja would be unpopular because of comparisons to Ash-Greninja.
I agree with the point you make about the starters, and personally I would like a variation of different region starters like PLA had, and have the Kalos starters catchable in the wild also like PLA did for the Gen 4 starters.

Although on the point of Greninja, I could see them creating a Mega Greninja too, after all it is extremely popular, and something like Charizard has 2 megas and a gigantamax form, and also not forgetting they ret-conned Battle Bond in SV so Ash-Greninja isn't really a thing at all anymore, well the physical form of it anyway, it's akin to Spiky-earred Pichu to me now.

I agree with the point you make about the starters, and personally I would like a variation of different region starters like PLA had, and have the Kalos starters catchable in the wild also like PLA did for the Gen 4 starters.

Although on the point of Greninja, I could see them creating a Mega Greninja too, after all it is extremely popular, and something like Charizard has 2 megas and a gigantamax form, and also not forgetting they ret-conned Battle Bond in SV so Ash-Greninja isn't really a thing at all anymore, well the physical form of it anyway, it's akin to Spiky-earred Pichu to me now.
I feel that at least the Kalos Starters will be available in the wild, like how the Gen 4 ones can be found and caught in the wild in Legends: Arceus.

I think Chesnaught, Delphox, and Greninja will all get proper Megas in this game. Greninja will have a proper Mega Greninja that doesn't really look anything like Ash-Greninja, down to having a proper Mega Stone, a different stat spread (and a mere +100 instead of +110 BST most), and likely a different ability programmed in even if abilities may not be a thing in this game.

I also think we may get a mix-and-match trio of starters as our actual "first partners" for the game while the Kalos starters themselves are either in the wild or get their own separate spotlight to showcase Mega Evolution. The mix-and-match trio could be either regional final forms, or convergents of old starters that are similar but different at each stage, with slightly different names and types and whatnot. Either way that mix-and-match will serve as a new, honorary proper trio of starters for this game.

The latter point is notable and is an idea I've been entertaining and see as a possibility: convergent species that look like old starters but aren't actually them. They're different at each and every stage and share similar but different namesakes and different types. That could be quite the interesting twist.

Ash-Greninja is a bit of an oddity, but since it was treated as an honorary mythical in SM/USUM, it may in fact be in this game, but as an entirely separate thing from normal Greninja. It will probably be a one-off encounter that you only receive one of in-game, possibly in a quest that ends with you getting one, being an honorary mythical quest in this game alongside Diancie, Hoopa, and Volcanion who are the three mythicals of Kalos. The lore behind that particular Greninja, or as this game may call it, Bond Phenomenon Greninja, is that it's like a mythical (illusory) Pokemon because it's one-of-a-kind: only one individual that can become this particular form is in existence at any given time, and it's something of a legend told in stories because it's so powerful yet elusive. Most Froakie in-universe do not become this Greninja, it's expressly a very special and unique individual. In that sense it's very similar to Bloodmoon Ursaluna and will likely be treated similarly: a single individual exists that we meet, but most Froakie cannot evolve into one (much like how no Ursaring can become Bloodmoon Luna), and it's treated as an honorary mythical in all but name in that regard.

The latter point is notable and is an idea I've been entertaining and see as a possibility: convergent species that look like old starters but aren't actually them. They're different at each and every stage and share similar but different namesakes and different types. That could be quite the interesting twist.
Interesting idea, but I think something like that might be best reserved for something like an official Orange Islands game or Gen 10 should it be an anniversary title rather than something that would appear in PLZA.

It would be nice if we could see a Carbink transforming into Diancie in the game, like Diancie's dex entry stated :
A sudden transformation of Carbink, its pink, glimmering body is said to be the loveliest sight in the whole world.
Honestly could be very likely if they continue doing what they did with the Mythicals in PLA, where they gave them whole little side quests about their origins/lore (like Manaphy's), would love to see that too.

Interesting idea, but I think something like that might be best reserved for something like an official Orange Islands game or Gen 10 should it be an anniversary title rather than something that would appear in PLZA.
I think it might happen because I think that convergent species have completely replaced regional variants going forward.

I feel like until the next Pokémon direct or anything that tells us about za, it’s going to be a similar situation to silksong where people are going to go crazy trying to figure out stuff and news
But we do have a general idea of the release date so

I think it might happen because I think that convergent species have completely replaced regional variants going forward.
I don't think we can say that definitively just yet. Personally, I think a good metric between the two might be something like this:
  1. If it's the same animal/object, we get a regional variant.
  2. If it's a different animal/object, we get convergent species.
I'd say the latter probably exists because Game Freak had ideas for a version of certain Pokémon that would be too ridiculous in-universe for the Pokémon in question to adapt into even for thematic reasons. I know the Poltchageist family is pretty similar to the Sinistea family, but that's really more of a nod to the fact that different parts of the world invented tea separately than any indication regional variants are being outright replaced.

I'm personally betting on the game taking place in the future or at least after XY as one of the NPCs in Lumiose when Pikachu runs past can be seen using what looks like a phone/holocaster... So I do doubt it's in the past.

I'm personally betting on the game taking place in the future or at least after XY as one of the NPCs in Lumiose when Pikachu runs past can be seen using what looks like a phone/holocaster... So I do doubt it's in the past.
Do you have any screenshot?

It’s also likely that the footage is of a futuristic blueprint and that the player character comes from the future, similar to Legends: Arceus, which also explains how the Arc Phone came to the setting of Hisui.

It’s also likely that the footage is of a futuristic blueprint and that the player character comes from the future, similar to Legends: Arceus, which also explains how the Arc Phone came to the setting of Hisui.
The blueprint style is also fitting considering this game is gonna be about urban development.

Either way, we're not getting an actual trailer until June at the very earliest, but given that this game isn't coming out until early 2025 it could be even later than that (like August or even September).

And Centro Leaks seems to be hinting that we won't get any other main series games in the fall.

Either way, we're not getting an actual trailer until June at the very earliest, but given that this game isn't coming out until early 2025 it could be even later than that (like August or even September).

And Centro Leaks seems to be hinting that we won't get any other main series games in the fall.
That's a given, as if we were getting another main series game it would have already been confirmed.

I know the question of what the starters are has been brought up and discussed, but here is another question concerning them: WHO will be handing out the starters? Will it be Professor Sycamore or someone else?

I know the question of what the starters are has been brought up and discussed, but here is another question concerning them: WHO will be handing out the starters? Will it be Professor Sycamore or someone else?
We're not even 100% sure when this game is taking place at this point. Honestly I don't think there's any more speculation we can do until we get more information.

Back
Top Bottom