• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review HZ046: How Thrilling! Orange Academy

• LIKO WINS A BATTLE, OMGGG!!!!! The kids aren't pathetic anymore!!! :yay::yay::yay:
I don't know if you noticed, but this isn't Liko's first win.
    • Will the kids get Gym badges???
I think not. This is supposed to be "Terrastal Training", not "Gym Challenge".
    • And will Nemona ever get that battle with Roy??
I think it will happen eventually.
Although I think the gag where they can't start a fight for some random reason will stick around for a while.

I wonder what hunch Friede is following. If Lucius' Entei is really a Gouging Fire as some people believe, they could potentially encounter it during this arc. I hope that they don't totally completely neglect the other Rising Volt Tacklers. They're all cool and I'd still like to see them at least semi-frequently.
This arc actually works well as a break arc.
3 of the Heroes took 1 year worth of arcs. So at that rate the other three will also take a year.

So, Assuming Gen 10 is 2026 for the 30th anniversary

1 Year of the first three
6-7 Months of Terastal Debut
1 Year of the latter three
6-7 months of the Rakua stuff.

We would be in about March-April 2026 I belive, so they need one more arc (Before Rakua? Need an excuse to not go immedietly, Z-A Arc?) and then it lines up nicely with Gen 10

If ZA is early 2025 and Gen 10 late 2025 however. Yeah They probably HAVE to obtain one of the Heroes this Arc. That or they get the last 3 extra fast... Perhaps they obtain Rayquaza at Rakua?
1 Year first three
6-7 months Terastal + 1?
6-7 Months Last 2
6-7 Months Rakua, maybe plus Rayquaza

Liko, Roy, and Dot officially start the Terastal course at Orange Academy. A large number of SV characters make their debuts (Most excitingly Botan is here, Starfall Street seems unlikely but I hope the anime does something interesting with her), and Nemo and Anne return (the latter also taking the Terastal course). Liko and Ann battle with Liko winning (having a type advantage and being a protagonist helps). "Onigiri" and "Sandwich" also join the Terastal course in disguises that fail immediately. Our protagonists head out for Liko's test against Kaede.

(Most excitingly Botan is here, Starfall Street seems unlikely but I hope the anime does something interesting with her),
It's hard for me to believe that the creators of the anime wouldn't want to show a criminal organization from the games.
Besides, I think that if "Starfall Street" had already happened, there would be no point in showing Penny.

I think the Starfall Street storyline is most likely going to be altered and not going to follow the same path as in the games.

I'll be shocked if the admins at the very least dont show up at all. But the question is if it will have any barring on the plot or just be background/maybe in the past.

Yes it can. It's been a great show despite the Explorers being largely absent from many episodes. The episodes without them have been far more enjoyable to me than the ones with them.
Well, not to sound rude or anything, but that is just your opinion after all. And if you ask me, without an antagonistic presence of some kind, a show gets pretty boring in the long term.

(And, in my opinion, that's what Horizons has largely been overall. Boring. We'll have to see if this new arc changes my view on the series.)

Well, not to sound rude or anything, but that is just your opinion after all. And if you ask me, without an antagonistic presence of some kind, a show gets pretty boring in the long term.
What Horizons also lacks is protagonists with actual bad flaws, like being neglectful, overconfident, harsh, uncaring, selfish, or stubborn, with those flaws being pointed out by the other characters.

These kids don’t have much inner conflict to chew on nor interesting goals either, specially Roy, he is very flat. He just wants to battle Rayquaza and that’s it. What does he hope to accomplish with that? Why it is so important to defeat a legend? What does he do after achieving that or what does expect to prove by doing so? Other than being like the Hero trainer. There’s no depth there. The hero pokemon & the explorers (who are not perfect either) at least provide an element of mystery to keep me interested. Not to mention that these elements are what actually moves the story in HZ, Liko & Roy wouldn’t be traveling at all if it wasn’t for that.

Why are the hero pokemon so big?
Why is Lucius not with them?
The ancient pokeballs… who crafted them? They seem way too advanced for being so old.
How old is Gibeon and if the explorers were Lucius friends… why did they got separated?
Where is Rakua and what does Gibeon hopes to achieve there? Why is Terapagos the key?
And so on…

Now, those are things that keep me watching. Vague goals like wanting to “understand the emotions of pokemon” are boring as hell. That can work for certain situations, but it quickly runs out of steam. Past sagas worked better because we knew the characters had some sort of direction and tangible goals, so we cheered the characters hoping that one day they’d be successful. I think the RVT had much more potential to be the real protagonists, but they are relegated to secondary characters. On top of that, the saga is really lacking on humor as well.

These kids don’t have much inner conflict to chew on nor interesting goals either, specially Roy, he is very flat. He just wants to battle Rayquaza and that’s it. What does he hope to accomplish with that? Why it is so important to defeat a legend? What does he do after achieving that or what does expect to prove by doing so? Other than being like the Hero trainer. There’s no depth there. The hero pokemon & the explorers (who are not perfect either) at least provide an element of mystery to keep me interested. Not to mention that these elements are what actually moves the story in HZ, Liko & Roy wouldn’t be traveling at all if it wasn’t for that.

Vague goals like wanting to “understand the emotions of pokemon” are boring as hell. That can work for certain situations, but it quickly runs out of steam. Past sagas worked better because we knew the characters had some sort of direction and tangible goals, so we cheered the characters hoping that one day they’d be successful.
Pretty much. It's what makes it so hard for me to really, truly care about either of them, since Liko and Roy are some of (if not the most,) boring, one-note protagonists we've ever seen in the Pokemon anime. Like, they're sorta giving me Chloe and Goh vibes, which is not a good thing.

If anything, this series is precisely why I like the fact that Ash ain't here anymore. Cuz it really seems like the battles and their goals of back then were so good that when HZ, a series doing the polar opposite of all that and then some, it gets criticized for being boring. The anime literally tries to do something different and nope, because it's apparently not tangible and has no weight to the characters beyond vague dialog. Which is what I like about it. If Ash was here, it be the same ol, same ol, but Liko and Roy, lame and unoriginal...... somehow.

I do feel they crammed way too much into this episode which was a disappointment, was nice to see Liko together with her parents, first time barring flashbacks we've seen her and Lucca together

Nice to see Ann back and that Coral and Sidian were recognized so Liko, Roy and Dot aren't as dumb as Ash and his friends were

Back
Top Bottom