• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

10th Movie Ending song is a cover

nYoo

Dark Mewtwo
Reaction score
I'm not sure if it is known, but from what I have seen, it seems that this still hasn't reached the English-language community. Correct me if you are already aware of this.

Sarah Brightman's 10th movie Ending song is a cover version of a Norweighan song called "Where the Lost Ones go" by Espen Lind and Sissel Kyrkjebø from 2001. It wasn't too successful, but it apparently made it to some European Top 100 charts.

Ratiasu found this out a month ago but I never bothered to think much about it so far. But I thought it would be good to have a thread about this here.

Here's a YouTube video that uses the song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Mv96qHzxRo

We were made aware of this in the Movie's speculation thread (waaaay back when ^_^).

Personally, I find the original better. :p

Yeah, the original seemed better.

But don't get me wrong, this new version is beautiful as well. Best ending song next to Chiisaki Mono, imo.

Hopefully PUSA keeps it.

Yeah, the original seemed better.

But don't get me wrong, this new version is beautiful as well. Best ending song next to Chiisaki Mono, imo.

Hopefully PUSA keeps it.

Maybe not second best (though I agree,it's beautiful, though the original is even better), but definitely high in the list. I'm a fan of Kaze to Issho Ni and Toi et Moi, myself. :p

PUSA had better keep this one, though. They have absolutely no reason to replace it.

Personally, I think this is Sarah Brightman's worst song to date. I find her very hard to understand. I have been a big fan of her's since seeing her in the London performance of Phantom of the Opera. When I first heard that she was going to sing, I was very excited. While it's still a good song and she sings it pretty well, I do agree the original version of this song is much better.

Last edited:
Yeah, when I heard this song at first it sounded like a Japanese person was singing english. And she ain't Japanese, so I was weirded out...unless that was her thing, to kinda have a slight accent on it for the target audience.

I actually prefer the Brightman version more. Huh.

I'd rank it as my four favorite of the movies endings. First is Hitoriocchi ja nai (or however that's spelled), then Chiisaki Mono, and then Kaze no Issho ni.

PUSA had better keep it. The thing's already in English, after all. :p

Yeah, the woman singer is better in this version, but I think the male singer isn't all that great. Sarah Brightman does have an accent, an accent which I attmepted to imitate in the Japanese/English duet I wrote to sound as if a Japanese was singing in English.

BTW, who is the male lead in the Sarah Brightman version? Is he Japanese? Someone told me once, but the knowledge escapes me.

I like Sarah Brigthman's better.

Hopefully PUSA keeps it.

I have my doubts. If 4Kids, who kept all BGM since movie 4 untouched, working on this movie, I told you they most likely kept it. But PUSA, who put away instumental version of Spurt for no apparent reason? I have my doubts.
But there is one another problem, how good japanese companies have dealt with copyrights for that norwegian song. If they have dealt copyrights for Japan or Asia ony, I'm sure PUSA will not bother with this. And I personally can't blame them.

In sheer boredom, I emailed the Pokemon.com mailbag asking them if they'd keep the ending song. I doubt they'll answer it, but at least I tried XD

Wasn't the instrumental version of Spurt more of a "do-whap" (sp) kinda thing with a male group "do-whaping" (sp) to that opener?

If Pokemon got the right to use the song, then I don't see why they couldn't use it here. I mean people remake songs all the time and I think that they'd have to ask Sarah Brightman's permission to use the song rather than the Norweigen group since they're using Sarah Brightman's version and she got the right to sing the song and Pokemon got the right to use the song she sang.

I think that due to copyright laws, Sarah Brightman has the say so mroe than pokemon.

I have my doubts. If 4Kids, who kept all BGM since movie 4 untouched, working on this movie, I told you they most likely kept it. But PUSA, who put away instumental version of Spurt for no apparent reason?

If it was indeed the version used in the 9th movie where Jackie is talking about how he decided to become a Pokemon Ranger, I believe they changed that because it didn't really fit the mood of the scene it was used in. At least, thats what I figure - it was a cool song but it didn't bring out the deeper emotion of that moment.

As for the 10th movie song, I have mixed feelings. I like the female singer on the Norwegian version, but I still think I like the new version better. It's more dramatic.

Blah. I'll say right now that I like the Sarah Brightman version because I can't tell by the crap quality of youtube and what C.A.A.T said Sarah version is more "dramatic". I do agree sometimes I cannot understand what Sarah says in her songs. Some of her concert DVD have subtitle and I would turn it on if it's available. lol

Hey, does anyone have a good quality version of this song? The version I have is REEEEALLY crappy, the Sarah Brightman one, I mean.

How old is this song, anyways? Copyrights tend to end when the perosn dies, which is why Van Gogh's pictures can be found on folders and such. Copyright laws with songs and such aren't nearly as harsh as one is on the Pokemon name and such. Sarah Brightman probably got the permission to use it, so PUSA will probably be able to use it if Sarah Brightman gives the okay.

I really wished I had paid more attention in buisness law during the copyright and pirated materials section ^^;

The Norwegian version was released in 2001. So it's nowhere near old enough to fall under any type of fair use law.

Eh, if they're doing covers of Norwegian songs, they could at least use a good one.
Like "Idyll".

Hey, does anyone have a good quality version of this song? The version I have is REEEEALLY crappy, the Sarah Brightman one, I mean.

I believe PocketMonsters.net is still torrenting the .mp3. Scroll down their news updates a little, you'll see they recently released a directly-ripped-from-CD version.

Please note: The thread is from 17 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom