• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

A medieval/Pokemon combination? *Ideas and feedback appreciated*

Would you read this fic?

• Absolutely!

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Probably.

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Maybe.

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Not likely.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Never!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

-Gray-

17 username changes :D
Reaction score
Well, it's the summer now, which means I have WAY too much free time. I've been thinking about writing a new fic, but it seems like I always lose interest in generic Pokemon journey stories. I've been considering a more action-oriented medieval story. I have the basic ideas down, but not much more than that:

1. The knights and warriors would use real-life weapons like swords and bows, but Pokemon would also play a role. For example, knights would ride on Rapidash and some of the army would be made up of Pokemon like Gallade and Bisharp.

2. The story would be about two rival armies at war, both seeking some legendary treasure (A Pokemon, maybe the Musketeer trio).

3. If/when an army discovers the Legendary Pokemon, it/they would go into a rage and the two armies would have to join together to calm the Pokemon.

What do you think of it? I'd like to know if you'd read a fic like this or not, and if you have any ideas.

I would definitely read this, and I can also imagine Lapras being used for water travel, and digging Pokemon being used for castle infiltration.

I've thought about doing a historical pokémon story too, though mine would have been set in the 16th or 17th century. But pokémon in the Middle Ages sounds interesting too.

Sounds like a great idea as long as you do enough research.

LT's notes would probably be really helpful but I'd say it's integral that you do enough research into medieval times, as well as what country this would be set in. (Obviously, most former British colonies wouldn't really fall into the category of 'medieval' in the classic sense so you're looking at Europe)

At the same time, you'll have to remember that your reader probably won't know much about medieval times =P

Still, best of luck, sounds like a great, original idea!

I had an idea like this at one point. The details had been forgotten, but it got baked into the background story of a region I created.

One thing I'd like to point out is that using Pokemon as weapons of war and weapons alone, not companions, would probably be a good way of going about it. A lot of Pokemon material, official and fan made, is about the ethical treatment of Pokemon. Rarely do I see something where their feelings and emotions are disregarded for the sake of the kingdom or personal greed/malice.

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions, everyone! I've got a question, though. Which do you think would be better to be the main character of the story?

1. An honorable, proud commander who is eventually betrayed by his superiors,

or

2. An arrogant novice who doesn't pay attention to orders?

Of course, I could always make one the main character and the other a side-character. I'd probably be more used to writing from the perspective of number one, but the second might make for an interesting plot.

Both sound good, but 2 sounds like he has much more room for character development.

I actually have a similar story in planning, so I would suggest setting up the cultures first.

As for the main character question, I vote for Character #1. To me, he seems like the one with the most potential of being a great character with inner conflicts and struggles without being full of angst.

Here's a map of the two islands the RP will take place on:

52824-acein-vs-raiark-map-fic-ill-writing-soon.png

EDIT: Since I forgot to put it in the key, the brown oval/circles in Arcein's forests are the tribes of island natives. Raiark has long since eradicated those tribes, and thus its forest is empty.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom