• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Ash/Satoshi's Eye Color: Which Do You Prefer?

Which One of Ash's Eye Colors Do You Prefer?

• Total voters

Pokémon Master Ash

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
I was wondering what the fandom thinks of the change of Ash's eye color to reflect the updated Ken Sugimori art style in the anime since BW, and wondering what eye color people liked more.

The two choices are: blacker eyes (OS, AG, DP) and browner eyes (BW, XY).

I am aware the browner eyes are supposedly what Ash's eyes are supposed to look more like, but I have a fondness for his blacker eyes myself. I feel they really brought out his character more, and he looked cooler with them. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Man could I see some Pictures of it closely than I will put down My Opinion ok Man.

Ash_and_Pikachu_in_Future_Episode.png
Ash-ash-ketchum-17729805-640-480.jpg

I go for his brown eyes. Sure it was jarring at first after DP ended, but as BW went on, I got used to it.
They looked better to me in the XY teaser. But his black ones were fine, too.
I like his browner eyes better in the XY teaser too. I prefer his black ones because I feel they really looked good on him, but I'm fine with his brown ones too. :)

Moved to the Contest section, since it fits the regulations of a Contest.

This isn't a review thread, so the review prefix isn't needed.

I think that I prefer Ash's brown eyes now. It was really jarring at first when he had his black eyes for three series and we wouldn't see the brown color unless we had a close-up of his face, but it kind of works for me now. I like the better detail on his eyes and they seem to fit him more in his XY design than I think they initially did with his BW design.

One thing I did like about Ash's black eyes was that when Ash would be very upset (usually ready to cry) or if he was furious about something, then that was when his eyes would go brown (aside from close ups). I thought that was a nice touch.

I kind of liked his black eyes. I realize that they were probably just black because it was a fairly low-budget show and black was easier to make than brown, but I feel like they just fit his design better. It may just be a nostalgia thing though.

I'm not opposed to change though. Ash's design has slowly been changing since the beginning. His once striking "z"s are less prominent now, his hair is longer and a bit less spiky, and he has a more slender shape than he did in his debut. Most of these changes have been to make him more realistic and relatable I believe.

OB2anmt.png

l51y3rk.png

kebXKUT.png

717FaCW.png

BW:
app46Gc.jpg

MUFiV1Z.jpg

limaUGO.png

aAo9ZGZ.png

His original "Toriyama"-esque eyes made him look cooler when it really counted. BW Satoshi does not look as intense or hotblooded when he does the same serious expressions (if he does them at all). I can hardly take the boy seriously anymore.

The new style of eyes look much better on his Kalos design (at least in promotional art), but that's only because they shrunk them somewhat - I like that much better.

Last edited:
I Still like the Original Black Eyes better because I am used to it for Years and it looks better with Him I think.

I think I got so much used to his new eyes the previous pair is looking rather odd now.

The original eyes. Firstly, because they were more unusual. There are loads of anime characters with the big later style eyes. The older eyes stood out for that alone. Secondly, I liked they were subtly coloured: you didn't notice they were brown until you looked carfully. It just made things a little more fun. Thirdly, as FANG-TAN said, they worked better when they wanted him to look badass. (Though I will also point out that they didn't hinder his cute moments either.)

The original eyes. Firstly, because they were more unusual. There are loads of anime characters with the big later style eyes. The older eyes stood out for that alone. Secondly, I liked they were subtly coloured: you didn't notice they were brown until you looked carfully. It just made things a little more fun. Thirdly, as FANG-TAN said, they worked better when they wanted him to look badass. (Though I will also point out that they didn't hinder his cute moments either.)
Agreed. To me, the eyes really seemed to make him more unique than the standard archetype I see for many (not all) other anime characters. They made him stand out and I agree the subtle coloration was really cool (like in the picture of OS Ash FANG-TAN put up, and in DP191-- though I have a feeling when they showed it that time it was implied his eye color would undergo a change). Agreed: I could take him seriously as a badass, and at the same time, they still worked for his cute moments like the browner eyes do in the latter case.

His darker eyes because they were the originals. To this day I have no idea why the animators decided to tone down the color and make them light brown.

One thing I did like about Ash's black eyes was that when Ash would be very upset (usually ready to cry) or if he was furious about something, then that was when his eyes would go brown (aside from close ups). I thought that was a nice touch.
Exactly, they would turn brown sor a special reason, a strong emotion or feeling; and it gave the moment a little more seriousness and a nice effect. Even if it was a low-quality side effect, i would stick to that.

His new eyes go well with his XY design, but I prefer the old eyes because he looked more serious and badass.

I prefer his blacker eyes just because the browner eyes look weird to me. Plus his facial expression with blacker eyes look better than his facial expression with browner eyes.

Back
Top Bottom