• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obsolete: Autotune?

Do you like autotune

• I love autotune!

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Almost always

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • now and then, depends on it's usage

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • rarely, a couple songs I like

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Never!

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
What's your opinion on autotune? - the robotic voice modifying software used in lots of pop and hip-hop music in the past couple years

To be blunt, I do not like at all. That's not to say it has no value, but for me I don't care for it at all. I prefer my music less on the electronic side, and once you start messing with the voice you've gone way too far to the electronic side.

If it's for the effects, I'd say it's another method of being creative. I've heard songs where autotune is used at an appropriate moment to build up the climax and such.

However, there are cases where autotune is used to cover up for a singer who cannot sing. V(Volt) is probably that case. I initially thought the song was autotuned from start to end to have that 'electron-y feel', and put emphasis on Pikachu, but after watching a youtube vid where Yusuke sings live rather badly, I concluded the whole autotuning was to cover up how he couldn't sing. In that case... autotune is both a relief AND somewhat annoying. Really ironic since I like V(Volt).

I dislike it. It generally seems forced and rather annoying, and to cover up for poor singing ability. The only time I don't really mind it is when it is used in silly YouTube songs that aren't meant to be serious.

I don't mind it at all, I feel like if it's used in good taste and moderation it can be an amazing addition to some songs. But at the same time if it's used excessively it gets annoying and unbearable. As for the artists themselves who choose to use auto-tune... well I'll be frank I never cared who has used autotune or not, or if an artist can sing or not. I feel like that just factors into my own personal music tastes.

So my final verdict is that I'm cool with it.

I only like it when it's used in electro. I hate it used in any other genre.

As a sound effect, it's cool. If it's used to cover up a singer that can't sing, I don't like it.

Only autotune I prefer is whenever GLaDOS speaks. Well, maybe that doesn't really count since there's no singing.

Oh, and whenever the song "Escape from the City" in Sonic Generations in City Escape Act 1 delves into "Endless Mine" from Sonic 3, as a nice little throwback.

It's really hit or miss for me. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't. Though to be honest, I hate how modern musicians and music companies are relying on it too much. It's as if they know the "talent" they hire cannot sing so they use it to cover up what a hack they are. It's... telling.

Years ago, I didn't like it, but now I'm okay with it.

Generally it's annoying. The trend in a lot of hip hop is autotune plus mumbling over a trap beat. That's not for me. But there certainly are times when I like autotune, I feel Kanye often uses it well. Yeezus is one of my favourite albums, and it's fairly autotune heavy. But when I look at most of the rap I listen to, there's no autotune whatsoever.

So generally, hit or miss, but most often a miss.

It depends on how it's used, really, and the situation. If it's used for special effects, like in hip-hop a la Kanye West or Future, then I see no problem with it. If it's used to cover up bad singing, then I don't bother with it.

I'm still usually willing to overlook it, to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom