• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Suggestion "Bulbagarden" in other languages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zekurom

is obsessed with Noivern!
Reaction score
There isn't a place to discuss the website's operation in general, so I put it here as a default.

I think, because we're such an international community and all that, we should have some translated names for our community, instead of just using the English name Bulbagarden everywhere.

Of course, they might never catch on, but it's an interesting project, for whenever we want (or at least I want >_>) to greet people in other languages.

Bulbagarden is a proper noun, so I think it'd be exactly the same in other languages. Obviously we could slap together the translation of "Bulbasaur" (first syllable, anyway) and "garden", but that'd be awkward.

Fushigidane + Niwa?

Bulbijardin for french?

Bisagarten for German?

Of course, I'm only taking the names Bulbasaur has in those languages and putting them with the word for garden in that language That I can find anyway.

But that's all I got.

Someone who knows more about the languages could probably give a better equivalent anyway.

Bulbagarden is a proper noun, so I think it'd be exactly the same in other languages. Obviously we could slap together the translation of "Bulbasaur" (first syllable, anyway) and "garden", but that'd be awkward.

Well, let's see what it would become in Japanese:

Bulbagarden = ブルバガーデン

I think the Japanese community might be a little confused about what "ブルバ" means.

Fushigidane + Niwa?

D-ryukei suggested フシギの園 (Fushigi-no-sono) in the Japanese Language Help thread, and that's the one I use by default. I like that name because it's a nice play on words - it means both "Bulba's garden" and "Mysterious garden", which is what BMG is named after in the first place.

In Chinese, it would probably be 妙蛙种花园.

Bulbijardin for french?

For French, I said "Bulbizardin", although "Bulbijardin" might also work - it looks a little awkward, though, although technically the correct portmanteau.

Bisagarten for German?

"Bisagarten" for German wouldn't work very well because the "bisa" part isn't referring to the bulb/seed.

But "Samgarten" wouldn't work either. What to do >_>

Of course, I'm only taking the names Bulbasaur has in those languages and putting them with the word for garden in that language That I can find anyway.

Same here.

I think my original point stands: translating just doesn't work well for proper nouns. Microsoft is the same internationally, even though its name is derived from some computer terminology. And Apple doesn't translate itself into Pomme when it's operating in France.

Ah, well, I tried.

You can close the thread now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom