• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Suggestion Debate Subforum

Master Mew

Level 7
Reaction score
Just a thought I had recently, would a Debate Subforum be a good addition to The World Beyond?

It might serve to displace some of the heated debates from the Real World without disallowing them altogether, allowing Real World contributors to have more calm, straightforward discussions whilst giving "debaters" (who might be labeled "flamers" in other subforums) a place where they are officially allowed to employ debate tactics to make their points, and be a little less cordial and politically-correct than they are (rightfully) required to be in the rest of the Forums.

Just a thought, I don't have a big emotional attachment invested in this idea, so tell me what you think!

Yes, that's what the Soapbox was for. That section has been restructured a number of times; and a "debate"-specific forum has been attempted at least once during the brief time I've been here.

Ah, my apologies, I did not realize this.

In that case, would labeling a Thread "DEBATE: X" (X=Topic Title) affect the way in which the thread was moderated (i.e. Would the thread be treated as a debate, where heated discussion is expected)?

That, you'd probably need to discuss with Evil Figment. He's in charge of that section.

It would not affect how the thread is treated, no.

We considered establishing such rules, but decided against it.

debates are fine. No one said anything against those.

Ok, but "heated debates" (usually referred to as "this is getting ugly" ;-) ), where people get defensive - which is inevitable in most hot-topic discussions, would appear to be disallowed, as there is no where in the Forums where special consideration would be granted allowing their presence.

Am I misunderstanding?

civil debate is perfectly easy to have. Simply know the boundaries of the topic and understand what can and cannot be said. Don't attempt to offend anyone and ignore/report any flaming jabs at you or your beliefs.

civil debate is perfectly easy to have. Simply know the boundaries of the topic and understand what can and cannot be said. Don't attempt to offend anyone and ignore/report any flaming jabs at you or your beliefs.
I know, it sounds so good, but it's those "grey-area" posts that get to me every time... The ones you can't report because it's so hard to prove they were trying to offend you, but they still serve to derail the discussion into a flamewar...

*sigh*

If they get you, ignore them. It'll save you a world of heartache later on, trust me.

I'll be honest here, part of my problem is I've been burned a few times when I reported offensive posts and the moderator who reviewed the report insisted that because they were not offended by the comment, it wasn't offensive. :-(

Afraid I can't help you there. Moderator discretion is used the most in the Real World.

In your case, ignoring is probably your best choice.

Ignoring is the best tactic to keep your sanity in the Real World. It's only an internet forum, after all. At the end of the day, it's all just for fun.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom