• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Disambiguation pages

It's for the link templates above all. That's the issue I have with TOW: its articles have the tendency to link to something completely wrong.

Couldn't you just change Template:p to the Pokemon, without (Pokemon) at the end? It doesn't seem like much of a problem.

Besides the massive hit to the server that would have, every instance of {{p|Pikachu}} would link to the disambiguation page rather than the actual target. We want the template to link to the right page for every species.

Besides the massive hit to the server that would have, every instance of {{p|Pikachu}} would link to the disambiguation page rather than the actual target. We want the template to link to the right page for every species.

Well, I mean, if we changed all "Pokemon name (Pokemon)" pages to just "Pokemon name".

We'd be forced to remove thousands of link templates which have been used SINCE THE BEGINNING from nearly every page. Plus then we'd have whiners screaming "BE LIKE TOW, MOVE DREAM EATER (MOVE) TO DREAM EATER BCUZ I'M LAZY".

The point is that {{p|Pikachu}} is easier to link in the article and since the {{p}} is used in nearly every one of our 13,000 articles, it's just too much of a pain in the ass to do it.

Plus, hey, some idiots would link to a page "[[Pikachu]] using [[Thunderbolt]]" and we wouldn't be able to tell them it's wrong because the link templates would no longer apply. The way we have it now, we can recognize when a link template should and shouldn't be used.

The argument's over. We've had it a thousand times. The Pokémon pages are staying at "X (Pokémon)" because it's much easier to link them in articles that way. Like it's been said before, all you have to do is press space, hold shift, hit 9-p, release shift, hit o-k and the entry you're looking for should come up in the searchbar. Another way would be to simply go from NDex, which takes you to the national listing.

And I hate to compare it to Serebii, but at least we don't force you to memorize the numbers to get to the pages!

"The Other Wiki" (Wikipedia)

And I've never had a problem navigating Serebii's dex listings besides its tendency to have the data all over the place.
Well, I mean, if we changed all "Pokemon name (Pokemon)" pages to just "Pokemon name".
But a common consensus on this topic is that Pikachu and Meowth should link to the disambig anyway. And then you have issues like Psychic. Consistency just makes things simpler.

Is finding the article even an issue now that the page links show up under the search bar? Admittedly, the fixed perameter is a little annoying now but that should be fixed in the next mediawiki update.

Last edited:
Also, there's no need for the accented e. Me and a few other people went to a lot of trouble a night or two ago and made tons of redirects so all 493 can be simply linked to with (Pokemon) at the end of it.

For example, Gliscor (Pokemon) links to Gliscor's species article now, and the same with all 492 others.

you still haven't really answered my question on page 5... though I do see your point. I still think the disambig thing is kind of inconvenient.

Did Dawn catch a Smeargle? No. And even if she did, if you searched "Smeargle," you would be looking for THE POKEMON, not the disambiguation page! It should be like this:

Title of article = Smeargle [not "Smeargle (Pokemon)"]
Content of article = Not a disambiguation page, but information about the actual POKEMON (which is what at least 90% of people searching "Smeargle" would be looking for).
At top of article = This article is about the Pokemon species. You may also be looking for [[Dawn's Smeargle]].

And if it is something like "Pikachu," which could have many options:

Title of article = Pikachu [not "Pikachu (Pokemon)"]
Content of article = [See Smeargle]
At top of article = This article is about the Pokemon species. For other uses, see [[Pikachu (disambiguation)]].

Give me a reason why there's something wrong with that.

You still haven't answered the question.

I have at least one problem with changing them. See, whenever we have more than one of the same thing, such as what is seen in the Pikachu disambiguation, all of the other articles have something in the parenthesis that actually has something to do with Pokémon. Pikachu (PiPiPi) (from the PiPiPi Adventures manga), Red's Pikachu (game) (obviously from the games), Pikachu (Pokémon) (the species page). This occurs for everything, all the parenthesis for everything contain at least something that relates to Pokémon. If all of those pages are changed to Page (disambiguation), we lose something unique to Bulbapedia. "Disambiguation" has nothing to do with Pokémon at all! It not only looks better to avoid that word in titles, it is more creative and unique that other wikis do not have.

*sigh* I give up. Keep your disambiguation pages, I don't care...

They're still pointless, though.

Okay, on certain computers (like mine), the thing where when you start to type something in the search bar, then suggestions come up... it isn't showing up here. And I'm sure I'm not the only one. This is one of the reasons you guys gave for not changing. Now, I can see how you like (Poke'mon) at the end of every page (it organizes them, I guess), but this website loads some articles very slowly because of all the information on them. Like what has been mentioned before, why not just make a few exceptions for the disambig rule?

(Note: I'm for the added tags, but not too many disambigs)

Last edited:
Yeah it loads them up slowly. I'm sorry, we're trying to have an informative wiki here, unlike TPE on Wikia. We're doing our best, but web 2.0 isn't about small bandwidth.

Which is why the recent PHP errors really messed us up.

Autosuggest was turned off some weeks ago while we were having server troubles.

I love restarting two-year old threads

I don't even care anymore. It's a weird policy, but it works.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom