• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dreamers

Pie

Dead Again
Reaction score
Okay. I've been debating whether to post this or not, and so far I've come up with no reason why I shouldn't. Besides, I'm always trying to find people willing to read it...

Several years ago this wouldn't have been a problem. Now, however, I have developed a style that works for me, and unfortunately this style involves me writing really long fics. In the case of Dreamers, each chapter has been over 20 pages in length when I copy and paste it into any Word-ish program. And I only have three completed chapters thus far. Not to mention the story itself has only just begun. I've also gone as far as to write themes for the series itself as well as a handful of the characters, and if anyone would like to hear them feel free to ask...

So, anyone who can handle the reading and has enough free time, I invite you to take a dive into my fic. It's something I've been working on for a long time. I believe this is the fifth...sixth...maybe even the seventh time the general setting and storyline has been redone, and at least the third time it's been rewritten. Over the strange evolution of the story, more characters than I can count have been thrown out, all but two have been added, only one character has retained the same name since his creation, families have been carefully analyzed and redone, time and space have been warped, entire species of Pokémon have been created and gone extinct...and if I ever stop tweaking it, it will probably be the day I finish it or abandon it for good.

It's been almost a year since I wrote this first chapter, and already I'm annoyed with it in ways. Why did I have Diana talk the way she does? Why?! I wanted her to generally be extremely annoying, but I'm wincing at it for reasons I hadn't intended.

All the unpleasant things are generally very low or nonexistant in this chapter. I've tried to keep it mostly light and fluffy though there are some places where I've made an exception, and there will be warnings for such places.

And in case I didn't leave enough hints, this takes many years after the anime, mostly inspired by the fact that I can't keep track of it anymore. They don't show WB anymore here! Whine whine sob moan. I had to make an assumption in order to do this, which was that Ash eventually does reach his goal of becoming a champion, which is what the plot is supposedly building towards, and what could be considered an end to the series.

Again, I apologize for the length. I will accept any complaints about it, but would prefer solutions to this little problem since this is horribly inconvenient to anyone who wants to skip to what follows this massive chapter. Normally I would link to the page on my website with each chapter, though that was due to a tendancy to get cut off rather than anything else, but seeing as the community rules go against that...well, I'm not much of a rule breaker. I don't know. I can't help but feel that I'm going to get yelled at in some way. I have a bad case of paranoia.

Alright. Enough babbling. Congratulations to anyone who read through that and still desires to read the fic itself.

Edit - Spoiler tag added as a possible solution to my oh-my-goodness-this-thread-will-be-so-frickin-long paranoia.

Dreamers
Chapter 1
Half-Awake
Spoiler tag only to keep this thread from becoming ridiculously long

It was quiet that day in the Viridian Forest.

Quiet in the sense that it wasn't particularly noisy, anyway. Even with so much of the wildlife cleared away, there would always be a low, soft hum in the air of bugs buzzing all around. They had returned quickly though their home had not; still, due to the hard work of environmentalists and Beedrill lovers everywhere, it was making a comeback.

A very, very slow comeback. Yes, there were always the large trees spreading their branches to the sky and creating the impression of a thriving shady forest. But any environmentalist could point out a large flaw of this forest: a severe lack of horizontal diversity. The trees were tall and healthy, but the ground was nearly bare now. The argument of how the forest should be kept was easily won when it was pointed out that the bushes they cleared away were well-known Pikachu nesting grounds.

There wasn't much point in complaining about that, since he loved the forest, but why did it have to be the over-adored rodent that swayed them? Why did they love it so much, anyway? What about the other Pokémon that needed bushes like the ones that used to be here to live in? If it wasn't that yellow mouse's home, would they have just cleared it away and let all the species die out?

Flip sighed. Sometimes just thinking about it made shivers run up and down his spine.

He jogged quietly through the forest, just as he did every Saturday. Some of the Rattatas that had moved in lifted their head briefly in his direction, but they took little notice of him and went back to sniffing whatever small edible things had fallen on the ground from the trees or people's lunches. Flip had done this many times, so he was swift and silent on the dirt paths and patches of grass, knowing where saplings were springing up and avoiding them appropriately. Soon, he came to the bank of a river.

Prior to the clearing of the forest, few really knew about the river besides those who had paddled down it from much farther upstream, and they rarely ventured down it as far as the Viridian Forest anyway. It was hidden behind a wall of trees and thorn bushes where only the small forest Pokémon could reach it. Now, however, it was exposed to all and had become a popular fishing spot for starting trainers. Oh, that was not much of a worry. The fishing itself had little impact on the area. But humans had a tendency to just leave their trash at recreational sites and let it fall into the waters or even throw it in instead of holding onto it until they could dispose of it properly. The area was degrading with each soda can and gum wrapper.

Flip stepped carefully onto a flat rock just off the shore of the river, knelt, and took a Pokéball off his belt. He set it on the stone, and in a flash of light a bug-eyed blue and white serpent emerged from it. A smile appeared on his face. "Go ahead, Dratini. I don?t think there are any fishers today."

"Draa!" it squealed, and slid like a snake into the water. Soon there was the sound of splashing as the little dragon played in the wide, slow river.

He sat and shifted his position so he could fold his arms atop his knees and rest his chin on them. His eyes moved to his reflection in the water. His hair, which was a dark shade of dirty blond, seemed to stick out all over but was long enough for it all to generally be affected by gravity and hang towards the ground. He ran a hand over it, as if trying to make it a little less messy, but it didn't seem to help much. The image shattered before him as a wave splashed against his rock. He looked at his smiling Dratini again, knowing it was the source of that wave.

His mind zoned out watching the rare Pokémon jumping around and chasing Magikarp. Dratini was his first and only Pokémon; the creature had been a birthday present from his parents a long time ago. He had always wanted to train it, since he knew it would grow up to be a powerful fighter. After all, it was the child of his father's prize Dragonite, and his father had picked it himself by hand, declaring it would be the best of all the hatchlings. If his father had had his way, Flip would already started on the long road of becoming a Pokémon trainer. Perhaps he would have even begun following in the footsteps of his dad and eventually be known as one of the greatest trainers of all time. His mother, however, would hear nothing of it. She had already lost one son to the world of Pokémon, and nothing would convince her to let her precious little Flip leave as well. Oh, his father had tried to argue otherwise, but it never worked.

"He has amazing potential!" he could recall his dad saying. "Even more than his brother! I wouldn't be surprised if he was the next master!"

"So you keep saying, dear," his mother had replied, barely even looking up, "but he has even greater potential elsewhere. Why, just look at his report card! He's practically a genius. You wouldn't want that wonderful mind of his to go to waste, would you?"

"It wouldn't, dear. It's that tactical mind of his that would make him such a great trainer! Besides, you know he loves Pokémon. He spends all weekend just playing in the forest with his Dratini! Just getting him to come in for dinner is like pulling teeth!"

"It's dangerous out there, though. And there's even better ways he can use his brains and love of Pokémon. I'm sure he'd just love being a Pokémon scientist!"

Flip shuddered just thinking about it.

Sure, he was good at math and science and all that. But he didn't want to spend his life crunching numbers or doing experiments in dark laboratories. He was skilled in the subjects, but they still bored him to tears. He wanted to travel and see the world. He wanted to meet new friends. He wanted to win fame and glory. He wanted to catch all sorts of interesting Pokémon and help them become stronger. After all, most Pokémon loved battling, and did it all the time to play, exercise, or see how strong they were. But there was also one very important goal he had that most trainers did not, one he regarded as more important than any of the others...

Dratini let out a whine of pain, and swam up to him. A hook had punctured his lip with fishing line trailing into the water behind it it.

He wanted to help save the environment.

"Hold still for a moment, Dratini. I'll get it out," he said in his most calm voice, rubbing the serpent's head to help it relax. Slowly, he worked the metal hook out of the flesh. It wasn't really bad, since Pokémon were naturally able to take a lot of pain and such anyway from their fighting; in fact, if Dratini had experience in battle, he probably wouldn't have noticed the hook. It didn't even bleed. But the hook could easily have gotten caught on nearly any part of any creature, and then there was a good chance they would get tangled in the line until they were unable to move. And that was just one possible scenario. He sighed, since this discarded hook and length of line was just another reason why he hated what humans were doing to their world. With one hand he rubbed Dratini's head and with the other he pulled the rest of the line out so he could throw it away at home

He couldn't, however, find the end. In fact, soon the line went taut. "That's funny," he muttered to himself, grabbing the string with both hands and giving it a tug. "Maybe it's caught on something. What do you think, Dratini?"

The dragon gave no response, but Flip found his answer anyway. Something began pulling from the other end. Hard. The hook caught on his sleeve and with a splash he fell off the slippery rock and into the river. His Pokémon chased after him as he was taken upstream.

Figures, he thought to himself as the line dragged him against the currents. Someone is fishing here today after all.

Soon rocks and gravel rubbed against his face as the fisherman began pulling him ashore. Even before he could take over and get out himself, his skin was exposed to the air again. Whoever had hooked his sleeve was strong. A voice instantly came to his ears as he rubbed the water from his eyes.

"Oh my...I am so sorry! I mean, very, very sorry! Are you okay? I'm sorry! Please don't be mad! I have no idea how this happened! Sorry!" Strange. He had expected some grown man with nothing better to do besides try and catch the largest Pokémon he could, but this voice was so light and feminine...?

He sat up and slowly open his eyes. The water was still clearing from them and things were a bit blurred, but he could clearly see this was a girl no older than him and probably even younger. "No, no, it's alright. Just an acci...dent..."

Flip could feel the color flooding his cheeks as everything came into focus. To anyone else, this girl was not much to look at. Her reddish-brown hair was all tied back in two short ponytails, and her mousy face had two large blue eyes that could clearly be seen from behind her small purple shades. Her frame was small even for a girl, and her light, summery clothes were sprinkled with water and mud from the river. There wasn't anything really bad about the way she looked, but there wasn't anything about her that was pleasing to the eye either.

But Flip could have easily mistaken her for a goddess. This was the first girl his age he had seen in a while. To help 'nurture' his 'genius', his mother had taken him from the world of public school and sent him to an all-boy private school. His only contact with females was his family, and even there he only saw his mother and little sister regularly.

"No, it's completely my fault!" she continued. "I mean, I probably shouldn't even be fishing here anyway! My mom had said to only use it when there's nobody swimming, but I had no idea anyone would be here and I thought I could give it a try..." She had turned her gaze towards the ground. "Please-please-please-please-pleeease don't be angry!"

He shook his head rapidly, still blushing furiously. "No! I'm not angry! Of course I'm not angry! I wasn't even swimming anyway! But..."

"Draaa!" his little dragon cried, with a hint of anger in its voice.

Flip glanced over his shoulder. "...my Dratini was."

She looked up, and let out a small gasp. "I never meant to harm your adorable Dratini! There must be something I can do to make it up to you!"

Several inappropriate ideas leaped into his head when he heard those words, but he ignored them. "You don?t really need to do anything. See, look, I'm fine!" he said, standing up. "A little wet, but I don't mind it anyway. Just forget about it." He turned around and looked at Dratini, who had gotten over its grudge already and was splashing around in the river again. He could see in the water's reflection that his face was still growing redder and redder. A silence fell upon the two. He began thinking desperately for something to say, and she was thinking of some way to show her forgiveness since she didn't really buy his story.

Her eyes lit up as a thought popped into her head. "Wait a second...you must be a trainer too! How would you like to battle? I haven't really fought against anybody yet, so it'd probably be an easy win for you..." Flip could easily tell that she wanted to battle someone badly, regardless of the outcome. She smiled so kindly and eagerly that he wanted to say yes.

"I...well...no, I'm not a trainer. I just have Dratini as a pet. Sorry," he muttered, mentally crying at his mother's wishes. If only she knew how much he wanted to be one.

"Oh..." she sighed, and her tone of disappointment caused a pang of guilt to rip through Flip's body. He thought quickly, trying to come up with some way to repent.

"I'm sorry, but...um...maybe...oh! You've been traveling a while, right? I live just outside these woods, a little east from here. Maybe you could, I dunno, dry off there, eat dinner, spend-"

"Dinner?" she asked, interrupting. "It's not even noon yet."

Of course. He really wasn't thinking straight. "Uh...well...even better! Whenever you get hungry, you can stop for lunch at my place, and make it to Pewter City before nightfall! How does that sound?"

There was a short pause as she considered this. Flip's muscles tensed. He didn't know what he would do if she decided otherwise. He could see it now: this glorious image of Venus walking down the forest path, him unlikely to ever lay eyes on her again. There was nothing to stop her from leaving either way, and he would never be able to talk his way into going with her. At the very least, he wanted to keep her in sight as long as possible. The more he was with her, the better he could preserve her memory.

She smirked. "That would be great. The lunch I packed was stolen by some Ratattas an hour or so ago, anyway. You set your bag down for a second..."

His face began to flood with color again. "Really?! I mean, uh, thanks! Wait, no, I mean, you're welcome! I mean, um...it'll be nice to have you over...and..." He trailed off. Great, he thought. She must think I'm a complete idiot by now.

The girl laughed. "Thank you. I hope most of the people I meet on the road are as nice as you."

His heart fluttered, and he mentally breathed a sigh of relief. "So, uh, mind if I ask your name?"

"Not at all. I'm Cascata," she responded, giving him another warm smile. "And you are...?"

"Flip," he said, returning her smile with one of his own. "It's nice to meet you, Cascata."

"Same here, Flip. Y'know, Flip's really not a name you hear everyday."

He pouted playfully. "Well, you?re the first Cascata I've ever met."

She laughed again. It was like music to his ears. "You're right, you're right. I'm sorry. I'm not one to talk about normal names..."

Flip shook his head. "Well, you're right. Flip's, well...it's just my nickname. My, uh, real name's...well..." He trailed off a second time, and she could barely hear the real name. His face filled with color once more as her beautiful laughs arose again.

"Philip?" she asked, amazed. He slowly nodded twice to confirm it. "You don't look like a Phil to me."

"Well, why do you think I'm called Flip instead?" he quickly retorted, covering up his nervousness and embarrassment with amusement at his own situation.

Her laughter continued, and he couldn't help laughing as well. Flip couldn't remember the last time he felt so happy.

~*~

Several hours had flown by beside the river. Dratini had forgiven Cascata already, and was splashing around in the river with her Squirtle, playing some game which only they knew the rules, while Cascata watched from the shore. Further away, on one of the large, flat rocks that were so abundant by this particular river, Flip observed her in silent thought.

What's wrong with me? he wondered. I've never acted like this. I've always been able to keep my actions, my words, my very thoughts under control...any monster inside me has been kept on a leash. Nothing has cracked me, no human or Pokémon, no miracle or tragedy, nothing...

She laughed as the two Pokémon splashed her. And yet...her! I don't understand it. I lose it around her! I fall to pieces, only to collect myself at the last moment so I may present myself as a fool to her. Why? Why her? Why is she the only thing that can break me?

Cascata stretched and lay down on the soft grass of the shore. Her eyes turned themselves to the sky before them and began searching the treetops and clouds. No one could say what they searched for or if they would ever find it, but still they searched, as is the nature of eyes.

What's so special about her, anyway?

His eyes began wandering to areas of her body more sacred than her face, so he forced them to the ground to attempt stopping them. She plays with my heart as a seductress would, and yet...yet...she seems so pure and warm. Surely she is an angel, or a demon come to enslave me, or perhaps both...

Another thought wandered into his head, so he allowed it to be considered. Perhaps this is love...but could such an emotion, one based on chemicals...could it possibly be so powerful? And again, why her? She seems no different than anyone else...I must be deluding myself. This isn't love! Something so destructive to my nature could not be something so pure as love!

He buried his face into his folded arms. At the very least, she is corrupting my sanity...what on earth is wrong with me? Or is it even me? Is it her? Is it this world?

"Um...Flip? You okay?"

He jumped in surprise. Cascata had walked up to him again. Warm blood again rushed to his face, impossible to be fought. "What? I mean, fine! Fine...just perfect. Don't worry about me!" He was falling apart again. He no longer cared how she made him feel; he wished for this beauty to leave him alone so he could be at peace once more.

She smiled. "I'm getting hungry...could we start heading to your place for lunch?"

His heart soared and his stomach twisted at the same time. "Oh, right, sure. Let's go!" he said, grinning as naturally as he could managed.

Why did I offer that? Why does she do this to me? Why am I acting like this? Why am I so delighted by this misery? Why, why, why?

"Are you sure you're okay?" Cascata asked. "You seemed...worried about something."

"Really, I'm fine," he lied. "Come on, my house is this way." He stood up and began walking the familiar route back home. There was no way for him to look forward to lunch. He deeply regretted ever inviting this nymph to spend more time with him. In fact, he regretted it so much that his mind was tearing his stomach apart over it, and he had no appetite for the food coming either.

~*~

Flip's house was almost as picturesque as one from a fairy tale. It was sitting atop a hill that only rose up slightly from the woods around it, as if it were floating in a dark green sea. The house itself seemed to be floating in the middle of a lake of some sort, because it was surrounded on all sides by wildflowers that were just tall enough to hang over the heads of most small children. This sea, however, was parted by a winding crack where a stone path had been set down for walking on. The house was white with large windows flaunting their blue shutters as best as they could from behind the massive bushes that rose up against the walls. From the angle, Cascata could spot some ivy vines making their way up the chimney.

"Th...this...this is amazing!" she gasped in awe. "Look at all these flowers...they're beautiful!"

"Aren't they, though?" Flip responded, still impressed by the flowers though he had seen them his whole life. "I love their smell. Every morning, I wake up and I can smell them...it makes you wonder who would want to clear any of this away."

She looked surprised. "Clear them away? What do you mean?"

He walked up to one large yellow blossom and touched it gently. "After they cleared out the Viridian Forest, they decided they wanted to begin building houses around ours and make a road right through here. My family managed to prove that a lot of the land around here is actually ours, and in the end they decided there wasn't enough land to develop on." He looked out towards the edge of the forest. "Too bad we don't own the entire forest. Or maybe we could have stopped that, too..."

She stepped beside him and looked at the blossom he had been observing. "You know what I don't get? Why does a place always have to belong to somebody? I mean, I live near Cinnabar Island, and around there, it's the same thing...this island belongs to him, that island belongs to her, and everything else belongs to the government. If an island were to appear out of nowhere, it'd belong to whoever claimed it first. Why can't there be something left offlimits, or something that could belong to everybody..."

"Because humans tend to want as much as possible. If something belongs to no one, then no one will miss it when it's gone. As for belonging to everybody, everyone would want to use it as best fit for their own purposes, and therefore there would be no way for all of them to decide how to use it..."

"Fwip! You're back!" a tiny voice called out from the flowers.

"Diana!" he responded. "You haven't been eavesdropping on me, have you?"

"Nope, just wistenin' t'what chu were sayin'. And whatsa parr-pus-sez?" A little girl emerged from the flowers. She had a similar face to Flip's, although here eyes were bigger, and instead of his strange jagged blond hair which was almost the color of gold, she had large flowing locks of hair the color of pure sunlight.

Flip scooped her up into his arms. "You mean purposes? Well, I could explain it to you, but you probably wouldn't understand..."

The little girl still looked confused. "What's uhn-dur-stan?"

Cascata laughed. "She's so cute! Is she your little siter?"

He nodded, blushing slightly. "Yeah. This is Diana. Diana, meet Cascata."

Diana smiled. "Your name is pretty. Cass-cat-uh..."

"She loves sounding out new words," Flip quickly explained.

"Well, I think your name is very pretty, too," Cascata replied. "It's very nice to meet you, Diana."

The little girl suddenly gasped as if she remembered something. "Are ya hungry? Because Mummy's makin lunch! "

"Actually, that's kinda what I'm here for. Your brother invited me..."

The child broke into impish giggles. "Are you his...GIRLFRIEND?!"

Cascata blushed. "What? Of course not! We only just met!"

"FWIP AND CASSIE, SITTIN INNA TREE! KAY AIE ESS ESS AIE EHN GEE!" she laughed, jumping out of Flip's arms.

Flip's face was bright red. "D-diana, we're not..."

"FIRST COMES WUV, THEN COMES MARRIAGE, THEN COMES-"

"Lunchtime!"

A tall, slender woman with hair so light only a few shadows gave away it was blond and not white was standing at the door of the house. She was smiling very warmly at the three of them.

"Oh, Flip! You're not usually back so soon. And you've brought a friend, I see. Well, there should be enough for all of you anyway. Come on in, dear, what's your name?"

~*~

"I'm sorry I've eaten so much," Cascata said after clearing her plate for the last time. "I guess I was just hungrier than I thought. I didn't mean to be rude..."

Flip's mother just smiled. "It's alright, dear. I can always make more. Now, what was your name again?"

"Cascata," she replied softly. "It's very nice to meet all of you."

"All?" the woman asked, looking at the three children sitting around the dining room table, two of which were still eating. "Then you just met Flip as well?"

The girl nodded. "In the forest. Just a few hours ago."

"And he invited you over for lunch?"

Cascata nodded again. "Yes, he did. And I'm very grateful for it. I probably would have been starving before dinner!"

The tall woman quickly searched her son's face. She could find little trace of the pale boy who was always looking at nothing with that eerie blank expression of a person lost in a trance of thought. Instead, color had finally found its way to his face, and the more he tried to hide the fact that he was watching this girl out of the corner of his eye the more apparent it became that he was doing so. She smiled to herself, knowing all too well what was happening, and sat down at the table with her own plate of food. "Well, that was very nice of him."

Flip face became slightly brighter. Diana giggled.

"Well, I'm guessing you're not from around here, then?" Flip's mother continued, now very interested in this new face.

"No, I'm not. I'm from an island off the coast of Cinnabar...I was registered as a Pokémon trainer a few days ago, and I was heading to Pewter City to see if a new gym leader has been selected yet. And also because I really want to see the museum. Do you know about the new Pokémon fossil they found? I've heard it's around eighteen feet in length..." Cascata said, trailing off.

The woman grew slightly paler. "Oh, yes, I had heard about that one. The fossil that looks like a four-winged dragon." She took a bite of her food. "I wouldn't have guessed that you're a Pokémon trainer," she remarked, the very slightest cold tone of distaste in her voice.

Cascata smiled. "Well, why wouldn't I be? There's just so much that's great about being a trainer. It's a chance to travel to new places and meet new people. Most trainers become closer to nature because they spend so much time in it and with Pokémon that are more sensitive to it than humans. They also usually become smarter, since their wits are tested all the time in battle, and healthier, since they do so much walking and spend so much time away from the comfort of civilization and also change their lifestyles accordingly. Trainers also get a lot of life experience, since they are given independence and have to make choices for themselves while still taking care of their Pokémon. And, if the person decides they don't want to be a trainer, nothing's stopping them from returning back home. They can always give their Pokémon to someone else or keep them as pets. Most of all, I just love Pokémon. There's no way to get closer to Pokémon than to be a trainer." She looked at Flip. "In fact, I'm kind of surprised your son isn't one. He seems to love them very much, or at least his Dratini. Does he not want to be one?"

Flip looked up in surprise at Cascata. Was he deluding himself? At first he had thought Cascata was only trying to defend trainers in general. Yet what she had said at the end, or perhaps only the look she had given him, told him that she somehow understood his situation and was trying to help him out.

His mother, however, was still very reluctant to let her child go so easily. "Well, he does, I suppose. But I don't think he's very, well...suited to being a trainer. For instance, he's not exactly the violent type, if you know what I mean. He would never be able to handle battling Pokémon."

Cascata turned to the woman. "I find that hard to believe. But, if you say he wouldn't be able to battle well..."

Flip's heart sank. He could have sworn he saw a glimmer of hope in this beauty's words.

"...then I propose a test of his skills."

Silence filled the room. Flip's mother seemed as though she were about to twist her fork. She spoke hesitantly "A test? What kind of test?"

The girl smiled. "It's simple. If you think he lacks the skills to be a trainer, we test to see if you're right by testing his skills. And the two most important skills a trainer can have are capturing Pokémon and battling other trainers. If he can do both these things, then he's obviously a good potential trainer and he can come with me to Pewter City to register at the Pokécenter. Does that sound alright?"

Flip looked at his mother as well. "Please, Mom, can I?"

"Well..." She looked into Flip's eyes. They were glimmering with such hope that she had not seen in his eyes since he was a child. It was obvious what he wanted her to say. He wanted the chance to be released and, probably more importantly, not have to watch this girl walk out of his life as swiftly as she had entered. A sigh escaped her lips. She was tired out from having argued so many years with her husband about whether Flip should become a trainer or not anyway. "Alright. Test him. If he passes, then yes, he can become a trainer."

Pure joy adorned Flip's face and tears began forming in his eyes. "Thank you, Mom!" he cried, leaping out of his chair and hugging his mother. "Thank you so much!"

She wrapped her arms around him tenderly. "You're welcome. Better hurry, though, because if you don't catch a Pokémon by bedtime, you're staying right here!"

He quickly escaped from the embrace. "Right! Come on, Cascata, let's go!" he shouted, recalling his Dratini which had been eating in the corner back into its Pokéball and running towards the door.

"Sure thing!" she responded, grabbing her backpack that was leaning against the wall and following behind him.

Diana pouted, having finished her lunch. "If he's a tray-nur, can I be one tooooo?"

Her mother sighed. "Not yet. Maybe when you're older. MAYBE."

"Okay, Mum! I'm gonna go help Fwip kata Pokémon!" she said, leaping up from the table and running towards the door. "WAIT FER ME, FWIP!"

Flip's mother sighed. She had always supported Flip in everything, but she didn't want to be separated from him, even if it was somewhat selfish. For the first time that she could remember, she wanted him to fail a test.

~*~

"How long have we been searching?" Flip asked, wiping the sweat off his forehead as he leaned against a tree.

"An hour, I'd say. This is strange. It's so empty. Where are all the bug Pokémon?" Cascata questioned, looking around for a sign of movement.

"Where people haven't cleared away a large portion of their food and cover, probably," he growled. "This is ridiculous. How am I supposed to capture a Pokémon in a few short hours if I haven't seen a single one yet?"

They both sat in silent contemplation.

"Thanks, by the way," Flip spoke, feeling the rise of warmth into his cheeks again.

"For what?"

He looked up into the branches of the tree above them. "For finally convincing my Mom to give me a chance to be a trainer. I mean, you barely even know me, and I know she's not the easiest person to reason with, and yet..."

Cascata looked at him and gave him that warm smile again. "Don't mention it. Just make sure you don't waste this opportunity! Come on, let's keep looking."

They continued walking through the forest, looking around for any sign of movement. Flip's mind, however, inevitably wandered back to Cascata.

She's so kind...kinder than anyone I have ever met. Did I really wonder if she was a demon?

A knot formed in his stomach. But maybe...have I only fallen deeper into her spell? Am I twisted around her finger even now? Could something so sweet and innocent be a fiend in disguise, plotting to inflict unspeakable torture upon me?

Some familiar giggles came from nearby. "Diana?" Flip asked, looking to where the sound had come from. He could see the little girl with bouncing golden locks running towards him.

And something small and yellow with black ears was running in front of her!

"Fwip! Fwip! Lookie what I found! Lookie what I found!" she laughed, chasing the rodent towards him.

"Piiichau!" it squealed, running up a nearby tree.

"Izit a Pikachu?" Diana asked, looking up at it. The little mouse smiled at her, then began gnawing at some fruit hanging nearby.

Flip shook his head. "It's a Pichu. You almost never see them in the wild...they usually stay in their nests until they've evolved."

Cascata moved closer to the tree. "Maybe something forced this one out?"

The Pichu removed the piece of fruit from the branch with a final tug. It nibbled on it some, decided it didn't really want it after all, and then proceeded to hurl it at Cascata.

She jumped both in surprise and reflex, then glared at the electric mouse. "Hey! That wasn't very nice!"

The Pichu laughed, and proceeded to pull off another piece of fruit. No one was surprised when it threw this one at the people below as well, and laughed at their anger.

Cascata pouted. "Never mind! I bet this one wasn't forced out...it probably came out on its own to bug trainers. How mean!"

"Well, it may be a pain, but at least it's a Pokémon!" Flip took out Dratini's pokéball. "Alright, Dratini, let's go!"

He hurled the red and white ball through the air, and the little serpent was released on the branch next to the Pichu. "Draaa!" it growled.

"Lessee...Dratini's attacks should be..." Flip paused for a moment to think while the two little Pokémon taunted one another.

"Wrap, Leer, and Thunderwave," Cascata said. "And you probably already know what they do, right?

Flip nodded. "Okay, Dratini! Thunderwave!"

Electric bolts shot out of the gem on Dratini's forehead and wrapped around the rodent's muscles, causing them to stiffen. The gold-haired trainer smirked. Whether it had planned to or not, the Pichu released its electricity in a Thundershock, which made Dratini recoil in pain for a moment then bounce back very annoyed.

"Good, good..." Flip nodded to himself. "Leer it, Dratini!"

The serpent smirked evilly at the small mouse, who shivered and seemed to succumb more to the paralyzation, thus leaving it more open to attacks. It began acting cute for a moment, as if to try and pull off a Charm attack, but the paralyzation took effect and he wasn't able to move enough to complete the attack.

"Now, Wrap it!"

The Dratini coiled around the Pichu and began squeezing it like it was some tiny, adorable python. The Pichu tried to shock the Dratini further, but the paralyzation only allowed it to shoot off small sparks. It was, however, able to move well enough to wriggle about in the Dratini's hold and cause the two to go tumbling off the branch. The dragon reacted instantly, releasing its prey and grabbing onto a lower branch with the end of its tail, but the Pichu slammed into the ground below.

The little mouse tried to stand up, but ended up collapsing to the ground dizzily. "Pichaaaa..." it whined.

Flip grinned. "That's it! Okay, now all I need to do is...throw a..." His momentum trailed to a stop. "...I don't have any Pokéballs!"

Diana, for obvious reasons, found this hilarious.

"It's alright," Cascata replied, taking out an empty Pokéball. "It's my fault for forgetting about that. Here, take one of mine."

His fingers brushed her soft skin as he took the Pokéball from her. "Thank you. Again." He smiled at her, still unable to control the color of his cheeks.

He turned again to the weakened Pichu. Focus. You've weakened it more than enough. Now all that's left is...

Years later, he could still clearly remember each instant of that scene: Brushing his bangs back, even though they fell right back into place when he took his hand away; Taking that step forward before his throw; The angle at which his elbow bent; The very feeling of the Pokéball being carried by momentum out of his hand; Watching it soar away from him, becoming smaller and smaller; The Pichu looking up, and having the red and white object collide with it; The mouse seeming to melt into red energy that was immediately absorbed into the Pokéball; The ball falling to the ground and settling between two tufts of grass.

It wriggled once.

It wriggled again, weaker.

It wriggled again, so weakly and desperate that it almost went unnoticed.

And then it was still. Flip had made his first capture.

~*~

Sunset. The Viridian Forest was flooded with vibrant shades of red and orange which overpowered its normal lush green color and almost made it appear as if it had passed into an early fall.

A lone Pidgey fluttered down into the grass and began searching for a quick snack before its unspoken curfew. If given enough time, it may have found something, considering this was one of its favorite habitats: the very edge of the forest. However, before very long, it heard something and looked down the manmade path nearby. There was nothing, only the barren dirt covered with the footprints of travelers who had long since past, human and Pokémon alike. No, wait! There they were. He could see them coming over the hill. Humans. Three of them.

The Pidgey continued looking for a little food but kept one eye on the group of humans. They continued to approach. His instincts took over, and the Spearow flew back into his nest. He decided he wasn't that hungry anyway.

"So, what are you going to call your Pichu?" Cascata asked.<br>&nbsp;

Flip shrugged. "I haven't really thought about it. It doesn't seem to like me very much, though, does it?"

"It doesn't seem to like any of us. Maybe it just doesn't like humans in general?" she responded, looking at the pokéball Flip held in his hand.

Diana pouted. "Well, I don't wike it etha! It trew stuff at us!"

"How did you find it, anyway?" Cascata asked, shifting her gaze to the little girl.

"We-ell, akchally...he found me!" the child said, smiling. "I was just wookin' for you and Fwip, an' it came up otta nowhere! It sniffed me a copaluv times, an' den it rubbed me, an' den I picked it up, an' den it jumped out of my hands an' it shook its butt at me! So I chased it an' den I found you two..."

"Odd. Why on earth would a Pichu leave its home? They don't leave until they've evolved into Pikachu, don't they?" Cascata wondered aloud.

"...actually, now that I think about it, it probably doesn't have a home."

She turned to Flip in surprise. "What?"

He closed his eyes. "If a Pichu wanders about, it means there are no parents to take care of it. Without someone to bring it food and protect it and keep it warm...the only thing the 'home' does then is protect it from the elements. It's just a roof. So, with no parents, the home doesn't exist..."

A pang of guilt went through the group. The Pichu they had been complaining about was an orphan!

"That's so sad..." Cascata said quietly. "I thought it looked a little beat up. It's amazing the little guy survived out here on its own..."

Diana sniffled. "Are we gonna be home soon, Fwip?"

Flip nodded. "Not much longer now."

"Good," she said. "The widdle guy pwobly will be happy taget warmed up...

~*~

The Pichu glared about the room angrily while Flip's mother tenderly applied a bandage to her son's finger.

"I can't believe it bit me!" Flip ranted. "Throwing fruit is one thing, but biting's another!"

Cascata shook her head. "I'm just impressed it broke the skin."

"Are you sure you're alright, honey? I just hope your rat isn't diseased or something..." his mother said, looking generally concerned.

"CHU!" the Pichu yelled. Its yellow fur bristled and sparks could be seen near its cheeks.

"Mom, I don't think he likes being called a rat..." Flip said, pulling his hand away from her.

"Yeah. Pichu's a mouse Pokémon. And this one really seems to have a nasty temper," Cascata said, kneeling down. "Come here, little guy. We don't want to hurt you..."

The Pichu stared at her for a moment, then relaxed. Very slowly, it began walking across the carpeted floor towards the human.

"See? It's just afraid of us. Come on, don't be shy..." Cascata said, speaking in the most gentle tone of voice she could manage.

"Cascata..." Flip said, awed. She really seemed to be getting through to his new Pokémon. If one person could form a close bond with a Pokémon, then it was almost guaranteed possible that the trainer could as well.

The rodent was approaching very carefully. For a moment it paused, considering the humans with a hint of caution in its expression. Then, it began walking towards them again at a more steady pace.

Flip was amazed. "He trusts us...I think...at least, I don't think he's going to hurt us anymore for a while..."

Suddenly, Diana ran into the room at the speed of a Clefairy on sugar and hug-tackled the Pichu. "Yay! He's so ki-yuuuuuute!" she squealed.

"Diana! Let go before it-" Flip's mother shouted in vain.

Energy flowed freely from its body and into Diana's. The little girl screamed in pain, then collapsed on the ground, twitching slightly. The mouse struggled out of her arms and leaped onto the sofa. It took a defensive pose: teeth clenched, tail raised, on all four legs, cheeks sparking again.

Flip sighed. "So much for that. Way to go, Diana," he said, looking at his little sister.

The little girl sat up, and promptly began crying as loudly as she could. The Pichu was so frightened by this that he abandoned his spot on the sofa and leapt behind the couch. "Mummy! Mummy! I wanna play wit him!" she whined between wails. "Why won't he play wit me, Mummy?! Mummy! I wanna play wit him! He hurt me, Mummy! Mummy! Mummy!"

Her mother sighed. "Come on, Diana, let's go play in your room. The Pichu doesn't want to play right now. Wouldn't you love to play with your dolls?"

Diana screamed. "NONONONONOOOOOO! I wanna play wit tha PICHU!" She fell back down on the floor and began kicking her feet against it.

The woman grabbed the little girl and began walking upstairs, doing her best to keep the kicking and squirming child under control. They vanished from sight, a door closing could be heard, and the screaming was muffled almost entirely.

Cascata sat wide eyed. "What...what on...what just happened?"

He shook his head. "Yeah, you never expect a little girl as sweet as her to have temper tantrums that bad, huh? She does this all the time. Especially in public."

She still looked stunned. "Wonder if I was ever that bad..."

Flip looked over the back of the couch, but the Pichu wasn't there. He dropped down to his knees and checked beneath it, but could see nothing; many dust bunnies and discarded toys of Diana's had made their way underneath the piece of furniture since his mother last cleaned. Before too long, though, a small spark came from the Pichu's cheeks and illuminated the area. Its eyes were wide with fright.

"There it is..." the trainer reached in. He was greeted with a Thundershock, causing him to leap back and clutch his hand in pain.

"I don't think that's going to work," Cascata said. "Maybe we should just wait for him to come out on his own?"

He shook his head. "No, we have to get him out before Diana escapes. I'd just use his Pokéball, but I don't think he trusts me enough to want to go back in there..." He tried reaching in again, but the mouse moved out of his reach.

"Then maybe we could lure him out?" she suggested, squatting beside him.

He looked at her. "Hey...you're right! He's probably hungry, right? They're supposed to love cheese..."

Flip walked into the kitchen, closely followed by Cascata. A large serpentine Pokémon was coiled on the table, alarming the guest.

"Nair..." it spoke in a voice that almost sounded like singing. The creature lifted its head and looked at the two with large gem-like eyes.

"Th-that's a...a..." Cascata stammered, pointing at the Pokémon.<br>&nbsp;

"A Dragonair," Flip said, opening the refrigerator. "I know. It's one of my Dad's. He loves dragon types...ah, here we go!" He pulled out a block of swiss cheese and closed the door. The Dragonair barely noticed him as he walked to the other side of the kitchen.

She was stunned. "It's beautiful...wow..."

He pulled out a knife and began cutting some small pieces. "Yeah, it's gorgeous, but it's also lazy. That one does nothing but sleep most of the time. But, yeah, it has all sorts of awards for beauty contests. I wish you could see his prize Dragonite...come on, let's take this back to the Pichu." He crossed the room again to quickly put the cheese back in the refrigerator while the Dragonair closed its eyes and drifted back to sleep.

She was confused. "Why can't I see his Dragonite? Did something happen to it?"

"Nah, he's just on a business trip right now." The two returned to the living room. Flip set a small plate with a piece of cheese on it on the floor in front of the couch. "Let's hope this works..."

They waited, and soon they could see movement under the couch. It was not long before the Pichu's face emerged from the shadows and began sniffing the cheese left for it. There was a pause, and then the electric rodent devoured the swiss cheese in seconds.

"Wow. He was either very hungry or he really loves cheese..." Cascata spoke. The mouse looked up at them as if begging for more.

Flip smiled. He took out a second piece of cheese and set it halfway between him and the Pokémon. It was quick to eat this one as well. Then, he took out a third piece of cheese. The Pichu waited for him to set this one down as well, but instead he just lowered his hand so the little mouse could reach it.

"If you want it, you have to trust me," he said to the rodent.

It was hesitant. After all, it had been rushed by a smaller human when it tried to trust these humans before. Its dark and dust-filled sanctuary wasn't too far, so it approached his hand and sniffed him.

The rodent paused. It felt strange. A new feeling was coming over it, the mysterious force that connects a trainer and their Pokémon. It had its doubts still, but there was something in him that was telling him to trust this boy. The Pichu quickly ate the cheese, then climbed into its trainer's lap.

"Impressive. That was really clever, Flip," Cascata said.

He rubbed the Pokémon's head gently. "It's a big step in the right direction, at least."

The Pichu let out a small yawn before curling up and letting itself drift off to sleep.

~*~

"Will this do for tonight, dear?" Flip's mother asked. "This used to be Flip's older brother's room, but ever since he left to be a trainer, we've used it for guests..."

"It's...a little large for a guest bedroom, isn't it?" Cascata responded. She had not wanted to mention it before, but the entire house had seemed 'rather large' compared to the small island home she had grown up inside.

"Oh, nonsense, it only looks that way because it's empty. Sleep well!" With that, the woman departed, not giving the girl a chance to get another word in.

Cascata shook her head. "What an odd woman..." she muttered to herself. She dropped her backpack on the bed and began to let her hair down. As she did this, she noted a digital clock on the otherwise barren bureau which read '10:21' in large red letters.

"Has it really gotten so late?" she asked herself, pulling the elastic out of her second ponytail. "And I thought I'd be sleeping in a Pokécenter right now..."

She rummaged through her bag, and pulled out a light blue nightgown and a hairbrush. Leaving her clothes in a pile on the floor, she slipped on the nightgown and began walking around the room while brushing her hair.

"Then again, this is much better anyway. I don't remember the last time I've slept somewhere so nice. Flip is really lucky..."

She stopped nearby the window. Outside, the stars were shimmering brightly. In fact, Cascata couldn't recall the last time she saw the stars so clearly, since the smoke and ash from the Cinnabar volcano always dimmed their light. The moon was bright and clear that night as well, and the moonlight was reflected off the dew gathered on the flowers below. It was like looking out on a sea of sparkling lights.

"It's nice, isn't it?"

Cascata turned around. Flip was standing outside her doorway, wearing some dark blue pajamas. His Dratini was draped over his shoulders, looking ready to fall asleep. The Pichu was nowhere to be seen.

He smiled. "Y'know, how peaceful it is out there at night."

"Oh, yes, it's beautiful here," she remarked, smiling back.

His smile dropped. "Something wrong? You sound kind of...sad."

Cascata turned back around. "It's nothing, really, just...well..."

"I'm sorry. You don't have to tell me. We only just met this morning. I'll let you get some sleep," he said, turning to leave.

"No, stay for a little bit. It's nice to have someone to talk to," she said, turning her head. "It's just...kinda silly."

Flip turned back. "What do you mean?"

"I...I don't want to be rivals with you."

There was an awkward pause. "What?" Flip asked, surprised.

She began playing with her hairbrush. "Y'know...I don't want to think of you as a rival trainer. As...as some kind of enemy." With a sigh, she shook her head. "But, there's not much we can do about that, is there? We're both trainers, and pretty much all trainers are rivals...fighting one another for greatness..."

"Cascata..." he said, starting to walk towards her.

Her depressing tone was cut off by somewhat forced sounding laughter. "Oh, what am I talking about? I'm sorry. I think I'm just tired. Sorry to have worried you. Goodnight, Flip!" She flashed a smile at him and continued brushing her hair.

The boy was about to say something, but stopped himself. "Goodnight, Cassie," he chose to say instead, leaving.

Though her eyes were closed, she knew he was gone because she heard him close the door. "Shouldn't even have brought it up..." she sighed to herself.

As she sighed, her nose was filled with the smell of the wildflowers. She looked out at them once more, then turned off the lights in the room and climbed into bed.

~*~

Flip sat wide-eyed in the darkness, looking around at the familiar shapes and objects of his room. Sleep refused to come for him.

How could he sleep? After all, if all went well the next day, he would never see this room again for a long time.

If all went well...

He shut his eyes tightly. The last thing he wanted was to be half-awake tomorrow. That would screw everything up.

He opened his eyes again. What if he was only half-awake right now? What if he had drifted off by the river bed, and this was all just some beautiful dream, a fantasy that would vanish before his eyes the moment he stopped believing?

He shoved his head underneath a pillow, trying to stop the flow of thoughts and aid his quest to fall asleep.

But, still the more he tried to stop the insane thoughts, the stronger they came. What if Cascata was just a dream, too? Will she still be there tomorrow, with those big, gleaming eyes of hers? That innocent smile? Was she just a figment of the imagination?

"Stop it..." he unintentionally said aloud, though it was mostly muffled by the pillow.

"Draaa?"

Flip uncovered his face. Dratini had woken up and was looking at him with large, worried eyes. "S-sorry, Dratini. I'm okay. Really. Go back to sleep."

The little dragon continued to stare at him for a moment. Then, despite what instincts told it, the Dratini obeyed. It rubbed against his face in a way that seemed to try and make him feel better, then curled back up on his chest and fell asleep.

Flip sighed, wishing he could do the same.

~*~

"Squir?"

A light blue turtle was rested on Cascata's chest, eagerly waiting for her to wake up. It tapped gently on the side of her head for the fifth time, and awaited a reaction.

For once, he got it. She slowly stirred for a moment or two, and eventually confirmed her Pokémon's belief that she would wake up by daintily opening her eyes to let the morning light in.

She sat up and the Squirtle dropped into her lap. Her freshly opened eyes squeezed themselves shut again as she yawned and stretched her arms out. Not a moment later, her attention was back on the creature that woke her up. "Good morning, Wade. Did you sleep well?" she said with a flash of her typical cheery smile.

The Pokémon grinned. "Squirt squirtle squirt!" He hopped off the bed and began pulling some clean clothes for his trainer out of her backpack.

"Looks like it's going to be a really nice day..." There was not a single cloud to be seen over the lush treetops of the Viridian Forest, or at least not from her limited view from the distant window. "That's good..."

She sighed contently. This place was so different from the island she was used to, with its more tropical vegetation and the refreshing sea breeze replacing the dense forest and the smell of wildflowers. But that only made this place seem nicer. It was a change of pace, and it was still a nice place though in different ways.

"I wonder what other nice places are out there..." she wondered aloud, half asking herself and half asking her Squirtle.

For a while, she gazed out the window, daydreaming.

"What do you think Wade?" She turned back to him. "WADE!" In her fantasizing, she had not realized the water Pokémon had gone beyond getting her a change of clothes for the day and was pulling out all her clean clothes in a messy heap on the floor.

Wade looked up and gave her a big, goofy smile. "Squirt!" he responded happily. He apparently thought he was still helping, because he didn't understand why his trainer shook her head and sighed.

~*~

Someone knocked on the door to Flip's bedroom. "Are you up yet, Flip?" the voice of Cascata drifted through the door.

He shuffled under his blanket, but otherwise made no move to get out of bed. Having trouble falling asleep the night before, he wasn't exactly eager to get out of bed now.

She knocked again. "Flip? You might want to get out of bed soon. You won't get to sleep in like this when you're a trainer."

His eyes reluctantly opened and he let out a small yawn. "Sleep in?" he muttered to himself. It felt rather early.

The knock came again. "Flip, come on. We're not in that much of a rush today, but we should have as much time as possible for your first battle. That way we can head off for Pewter City and get you registered...

He sat up. What could she be talking about? The battle couldn't take that long, Pewter City wasn't too much of a hike away, and registering as a trainer couldn't take that long...

His eyes snapped open as his eyes fell on the clock. It was almost one in the afternoon.

Miraculously and very fortunately, his mother did not hear what he yelled in reaction to this.

He leapt out of bed, sending his Dratini flying across the room and into a basket of dirty clothing. By the time that the little dragon had finished struggling with one of his shirts, Flip had already gotten out of pajamas and was putting on clean clothes. He finished getting dressed with incredible speed and grabbed Dratini's Pokéball off his nightstand. In his haste, he forgot that there were now two Pokéballs, and thus the Pichu's container fell to the floor in a way that caused the rodent to be released. The moment after making his mistake he sought to correct it, but did not realize the Pokémon was already out and ended up stepping on the little creature's tail. It had been sleeping peacefully until then, so it was not surprising that, due to this rude awakening, Flip and everything else in the room was engulfed in electricity.

"Uh...Flip? Are you alright?" Cascata asked, still waiting outside the door. A worried and confused look had settled on her brow.

The door swung open very suddenly, and there stood one lightly toasted Flip. "Yeah, yeah, I'm fine. I just didn't realize how late it was." Dratini slithered out from behind him and flopped on the floor, dazed.

Cascata's mood brightened right away. "I see. So, breakfast and then battle?"

He rubbed the back of his head. "Yeah, I guess...uh, what are you staring at?"

"You seem to have your shirt on backwards." She pointed to the collar.

Flip looked down to see a tag poking out the neck of his shirt. "Um...right. Give me a minute." He retreated back into his room and closed the door.

Right away he began pulling off his shirt, but then he remembered the Pichu. It was no longer sitting at the foot of the nightstand where the Pokéball had dropped. With a grumble under his breath, he picked the empty Pokéball off the floor and began searching for the little mouse.

It was one of those things that were easier said than done, though. His room was an absolute mess. Clothes, textbooks, school papers, and Dratini's things were all piled up in random places and there was not a trace of order to be seen. Having no other choice, he began digging through the separate piles one by one.

He slowly made his way around the room only to come up empty-handed. He was about to start checking everything again when a telltale spark caught his eye from beneath his bed. "So, that's where you went..." Flip got down on his hands and knees and peered into the darkness. Just as he expected; there was a familiar looking silhouette that emitted sparks every now and then, lighting up the darkness just enough to let him clearly see the Pichu.

He slowly reached under the bed. The Pichu, in response, gave him a small shock of electricity, causing him to pull his hand back and shake it up and down.

"Come on, Pichu. You can't have forgotten me already. Remember yesterday? When I gave you the cheese?" Flip smiled in an attempt to relax the Pichu. It seemed to emit sparks less frequently.

He could see it shift in some way, and then the form began moving towards him. He let out a small sigh of relief. The Pichu still trusted him...

Or so it seemed. At the last moment the rodent stopped. Its tail had gotten caught on a nail sticking out of one of the pieces of wood that made up the bed, and the tail was now pulled rather tight. Flip caught on to this quickly, and began freeing the little mouse's tail. By doing this, he ended up pulling a little too hard and caused pain to shoot through the Pichu's body, giving it a painful reminder of what had put it in such a foul mood in the first place: Flip stepping on its tail. It sent a much more powerful surge of electricity through Flip's body and retreated to the farthest reaches of beneath Flip's bed.

Flip sighed. "Look's like we're back to square one..."

~*~

Sometime later, Flip stumbled into the living room. His skin and clothes were unusually charred and his hair was sticking out more randomly than usual. Diana was too caught up in watching cartoons to notice him at all, but Cascata saw him and began adding things up in her head right away.

"I thought Pichu trusted you. What happened?" she asked with a concerned expression on her face.

He flopped on the couch, not making eye contact with her. "I...well, I accidentally stepped on his tail this morning."

"Oh..." she said, nodding to herself knowingly. "Well, that's too bad. Getting a Pokémon to trust you at first is never easy, especially with one as moody as that Pichu. You know, after seeing how you calmed him down yesterday, I thought that you wouldn't have any more problems with the little guy,
but...looks like it won't be that easy."

Flip held the rodent's pokéball in one hand. "Anyway, I think he'll have calmed down by now, so..."

Cascata's eyes widens. "You...put him in his pokéball? When he was in a bad mood?"

"Yeah, what's wrong with that?" His finger was still on the button to release the Pichu.

"D-don't you know? Pichu and its evolutions...uh...in general, they dislike being forced into pokéballs and staying in them for extended periods of time..." She began moving away from Flip.

His eyes widened as well. "So...what you're saying is...he'll be in a worse mood than before?" Cascata nodded. "Wh-what do I do, then?! I can't let him out-"

She shook her head. "No! If you leave him in there even longer, he'll just get angrier! Better to deal with him now..." She stood up off the couch and took some steps back from Flip.

He gulped nervously. Cascata was right; avoiding the problem would only make it worse. So, he squeezed his eyes as tightly shut as he could, bracing himself for the charge of electricity, held the pokéball at arm's length and pressed the button...

He remained frozen in that pose for at least ten seconds after the ball had opened, revealing nothing. Slowly, he opened the eye closest to the pokéball and checked to see if the coast was clear. The Pichu, apparently, was already gone.

"Uh, Flip, are you sure that's Pichu's pokéball?" Cascata asked, moving back towards him.

He looked utterly confused, his arm still extended. "I'm positive...where..."

Their questions were quickly answered as Diana laughed in response to the cartoon she was watching. A second, squeakier voice was laughing in harmony with hers, and the two older humans recognized it immediately. The little mouse was sitting on her lap, watching television blissfully.

Diana smiled at the Pichu. "You're so kyu-uuuut! C'mon, what show shoudwjee watch next?"

The Pichu returned the smile. "Pipichupichu!"

"I have absalootly no idea wacha just said, so lez just watch wateva's on next, kay?"

"Pi-CHU!"

The two laughed happily while Flip and Cascata watched in stunned silence.

"Fickle little creature, isn't he?" Cascata said, finally turning back towards Flip.

"Um, yeah...but at least Diana's calmed him down, right?" Flip finally relaxed his arms. "So, uh, I'll just go eat something quickly and then I'll meet you outside. Alright?"

"Sounds fine to me," Cascata responded. Flip stood up and headed off into the kitchen, leaving Cascata to just shake her head.

"How did the Pichu get out...?"

~*~

"Flip!"

He was mere moments from the door with Dratini and Pichu resting on either shoulder when his mother's calling grabbed his attention. He turned around to face her. "What is it, mom?"

She smiled sweetly. "Don't you want your backpack?"

He was confused. "I...don't have a backpack. You threw out my old one because the left strap was ripped, remember?"

"Well, you do now!" She revealed a brand new backpack from behind her back. It was black with gold-colored zippers and already stuffed with clothes and supplies. "Do you like it? I went shopping to get you one this morning and put your things in it while you were eating."

Flip took it from her hands. "I...mom, I thought you didn't want me to become a trainer. What made you change your mind all of a sudden?"

She sighed. "I still don't, but...that doesn't really matter. I always had a feeling you would become a trainer whether I liked it or not, and here you are doing exactly that." She laughed, but Flip could swear he caught the sparkle of a tear in her eye. "I mean, you still have to win one battle, but there's no doubt in my mind you will. I'll always support your decisions, Philip, even if I don't agree with them."

Flip pouted. "Don't call me Philip." Then, he put down the backpack and wrapped his arms around his mother, causing the two Pokémon to jump to the floor. "Thanks, mom."

She returned the hug. "Aw, my baby..."

From the living room, Diana shouted, "I tawt I was your baby!"

Flip's mother laughed, and the two stopped embracing. "Now, Flip, if you're going to be a trainer, you'd better at least be a good one! I expect no less than champion or you're going straight back to school, got it?" She smiled jokingly.

Flip laughed in response. "Okay. Don't worry, mom. Beating the champion should only take a week, maybe two, right?"

She smiled. "That's my boy!" The two laughed together.

Flip picked up his backpack and quickly put his arms under the straps. "I'll see you later, mom." He opened the door and stepped outside, Dratini and Pichu scrambling along beside him.

"Goodbye, Philip..." she sighed, watching him step outside. She wiped away the tear that had been resting at the corner of her eye.

Cascata was sitting on the front steps, waiting for him. She began standing up as soon as the door opened. "So, you ready to battle, Flip?"

"I guess so, but..." He started descending the stone steps that led to the path between the wildflowers. "...who am I fighting?"

She looked at him surprised. "You don't know?"

"You never said."

She laughed. "Isn't it obvious?"

Flip looked confused. "Um...no?"

The girl started walking down the path. "You'll be fighting me, silly. Who else is there?"

Flip suddenly froze. "Y...you?"

"Yes, me. You will be fighting me. That's what I just said." She laughed. "Why, is there something wrong with that?"

He paused. "No, nothing," he lied, while a tight knot began forming in his stomach. Battle her? He was still somewhat occupied sorting out his feelings for her. He did not have the heart or the guts to battle her yet, and began hoping for some sort of miracle to occur so he wouldn't have to fight her...

They reached the end of the path. "We should have plenty of room right here in the forest. Two Pokémon each, obviously, since..." She had begun turning around when she saw Flip's face. "Flip, what's wrong?"

He had not noticed how pale his face had turned. "I...well...I don't..."

"...want to battle me?" she said, looking sad. "Why not?"

"I'm sorry...it's just...I don't like the thought of battling a friend..."

She smiled and laughed again. "Oh, is that all? Listen, there's a big difference between a battle between friends and a battle between rivals. This is mostly for practice. And to make sure you can handle the stress of a battle. In fact, to tell the truth...I was kind of planning on letting you win regardless of whether you actually could or not."

The color returned to his face. "Really?"

She kept walking. "Well, yeah. I'd be kind of a jerk to help you become a trainer and then at the last moment crush your hopes, right?" She stopped again. "But...I don't think I'll win anyway. This is my first real battle, too, to tell the truth. I'm so excited."

Flip had relaxed a great deal, but the knot in his stomach was still there. Cascata wanted to battle him? He hadn't thought that trainers enjoy battling everybody, not just their enemies. Then again, it did make sense. You could battle a friend at any time and not stir up any negative emotions. He had never considered such things before.

"So, you don't want to be rivals either?"

"Huh?" He snapped out of thought quickly. "No, not at all!"

"Great!" She looked relieved. "I don't have any rivals yet, but I don't have any friends who are trainers. You're a nice person, Flip. A little odd, but still nice. I don't want you as a rival."

The knot finally loosened. A smile returned to Flip's face.

"So, anyway, like I was saying, we should use two Pokémon each since that's all we have. Makes sense, right?" Cascata pulled two pokéballs from her pocket and turned to face him again.

"Sure. You choose first," he said, walking away from her. He stopped and turned around. "Think this'll be enough room for a battlefield?"

"More than enough. We're both using low-level, unevolved Pokémon, right? We don't need a large area." She kept one in her left hand and flung the other onto the battlefield with her right. "Go! Cira!"

In a burst of light, a small Pidgey fluttered onto the battlefield and spread its wings in some failed attempt at intimidation. "Purdgey!" it cooed.

Flip had to hold back laughter. "Too easy! Go, Pichu!"

The little rodent scurried from his side and onto the battlefield. The hair raised on its tail and back and it bared its tiny fangs "Pichau!" he said as fiercely as he could, though it still sounded rather cute.

"Tackle it, Cira!" Cascata cried. The little bird began lifting itself into the air to dive on the mouse.

Flip shook his head. "Not a chance. Use your Charm, Pichu!"

The Pichu switched from its battle pose to acting its most adorable, with enormous sparkling eyes and the happiest smile one could ever imagine. This caught the Pidgey completely offguard, and it screwed up its dive, only managing to nick the mouse in the ear with a talon. The Pichu's eyes narrowed and it reverted to a fighting stance once more.

"That's it, Pichu! Now, Thundershock that bird!" Flip said, cheering his Pokémon on.

The Pichu willingly listened, and squeezed its cheeks. Electricity poured out and into the opponent's body, but it still managed to fly around.

"We can still win this...Sand Attack, Cira!" Cascata yelled out.

The bird lowered itself near the ground and began kicking sand into the Pichu's eyes. The Pichu was angered by this, and, without
any command from its trainer, it fired a much larger bolt of energy at the bird. The Pidgey collapsed with a flop.

"C-cira!" Cascata said, surprised. "Come back!" She held out the pokéball, and Cira was surrounded in red light. Almost instantly her body seemed to vanish in the energy, which was then sucked back into the pokéball.

Flip rubbed the back of his head. "Uh, sorry. I think Pichu went a little overboard with the electricity there. Will Cira be alright?"

"Oh, don't worry. She'll be fine. Pokémon are made to fighting like this. But...wow. I was right. I don't need to let you win..." Cascata shook her head and repocketed the pokéball. "Still, this next one won't be so easy. Go, Wade! Start with Tail Whip!" she cried, flinging a second pokéball onto the field.

It burst open to reveal an eager-looking Squirtle who hopped up and down twice and then spun around on its shell before standing back up in its own battle pose. "Squirtle Squirt!" he cried in a voice that almost sounded like a laugh.

"Still too easy. Thudershock, Pichu!" Flip shouted.

The Pichu launched the attack at the Squirtle, but this was easy for the turtle to dodge due to the sand that had been kicked in Pichu's eyes. It leaped to the side of the Pichu and used its tail to flip the mouse onto its back. "CHU!" the Pichu cried, more out of surprise than pain.

"Shoot!" Flip could easily see that the Pichu was now in a much more vulnerable position and wouldn't be able to recover its stance before the Squirtle's next attack. "Use your Charm again, Pichu!"

"Ignore the Charm, Wade! Tackle it!" Cascata cried, smiling brightly. She could see her Squirtle's advantage as well.

The Pichu did its best to look adorable once more, but Wade the Squirtle was too close for it to have enough time. The mouse was slammed into the dirt. This had been a much more powerful blow than the one from Cira's talon. The mouse rose to its feet, but its paws quivered and its legs looked like they would give out at any moment.

;"Alright, Pichu, return!" Flip said, recalling the rodent to its pokéball. "Your turn, Dratini!"

The little dragon leapt eagerly onto the battlefield, shouting, "Tinitinidratiiiniii!" It seemed to be doing a much better job at intimidation than the others; in fact, Flip could swear he saw the Squirtle shiver.

Cascata gulped. "Wade use...use your Tackle again!"

"Leer, Dratini!" Flip called out.

The Dragon narrowed its eyes at the turtle Pokémon, and this time Flip was sure he saw the Squirtle start to shake. Wade leapt at Dratini, and the Dratini was pushed into the dirt like Pichu had been. However, the Dratini was much better off than the electric rodent after the attack.

"Great, Dratini! Now, Wrap it!" Flip yelled to his Pokémon. He was getting excited since he was almost certain he was going to win now. Now he was beginning to understand why Cascata was so eager to battle.

"Tackle it again! Harder!" Cascata cried, but she was too late.

The serpent had already coiled around the Squirtle. For a bit, the two stayed still, with the Dratini slowly increasing the tightness of its coils around the opponent's shell and neck. Finally, it released a very dazed looking Squirtle, who stumbled around a bit before falling over.

"Wade, return!" Cascata shouted, and the pokéball sucked the Squirtle back in. She sighed. "That's that, I guess. You beat me fair and
square, and now we go get you registered as a trainer."

Dratini beamed victoriously.

~*~

The sun had already begun setting again by the time Flip and Cascata set off for Pewter City. Dratini was sitting on Flip's shoulder again, but the rest of the Pokémon were in their pokéballs.

"Goodbye, Flip!" Flip's mother called out, waving. "Take good care of yourself! Call me every day! And be careful! I love you!"

"Bye, Fwip!" Diana said, waving as well. "Don't ferget to wite! And bwing me back a pwesent!"

Flip stopped and waved back. "Bye, mom! Bye, Diana!" He smiled, taking one last look at them, then continued walking.

"So!" Cascata started. "We should make it to the Pewter City Pokécenter by nightfall, and we can get you registered there, too, but we might not be able to do that until morning. Is that alright?"

Flip grinned at her. "Sounds great! Y'know, I still can't believe I'm doing this. It's like...I dunno, like this whole weekend has just been a long, strange dream."

"Mmm-hmm," Cascata said. "I think all trainers feel like that when they're first starting. Usually it's not just a weekend, but..."

For a while the two walked in silence. The sky was now a great variety of colors, from a bright reddish-orange to the deep indigo color of the night. The distant cries of various Pokémon could be heard every now and then. It was a very peaceful evening.

"Say, Cascata..." Flip began saying.

"Yes?"

He stopped and looked up at the sky as if to collect his thoughts. "Are we only going to travel together until Pewter City?"

She stopped beside him. "What do you mean?"

"I've heard that some trainers will travel in groups and help eachother out. Since we're both just starting, maybe we could travel together as well? At the very least, until we get past Mount Moon. I've heard that it's not a good place to be running around in alone. But maybe longer than that..." He looked back at her. "Well? What do you think?"

She smiled that beautiful smile of hers at him again. "I think that that's a great idea. Sure." She began walking again. Flip paused for a little bit longer, then continued following.

"Oh, no...I just remembered..." Flip said, looking very worried.

"What is it? Did you leave something behind?"

"No, it's not that...it's..." He slowly held up a pokéball. "I called Pichu back when he was injured, remember? I never let him out again..."

Cascata stopped for a moment, then ran a few feet ahead. "My sympathies to you, Flip!" she said, turning back around.

He braced himself for the second time that day and opened the pokéball. This time, the shock came. Cascata, despite the distance she had placed between Flip and herself, still had to jump back to avoid the electricity. Once the light show had ended, Flip fell to the ground with the Pichu sitting on his head looking very angry.

"Y'know, I think I just thought of a name for my Pichu..." Flip muttered.

"Oh?"

"Hazard..."

Last edited:
Meh. I was half expecting no one would read this...but, well, it was worth a shot anyway. Something for someone's rainy day, perhaps.

And it still is worth a shot! I mean, there's gotta be someone out there willing to take a look...or something...

Warning for this one...there is one rather, erm, unpleasant thing that happens. Violent, really. If it influences your decision any...
a gun is fired, and someone is injured as a result. No death, however.
Anyway, that should be all. I think.

Hrm...maybe it would suit me to use the spoiler tag to my advantage so the ridiculously long chapters are hidden...? Yes, I think I'll try that.

Dreamers
Chapter 2
Various Legends and Mysteries
Spoiler tag only to keep the thread from becoming ridiculously long

The morning light had eventually made its way through the Pokécenter window, though it was faint and unable to create distinguishable shadows due to being far more muffled than it had been the day before. Dark gray clouds had gathered together over the skies of northern Kanto as if to try and make up for their recent absence. Rain was starting to fall on the buildings below and seemed to hint at more to come. All color and life seemed to be completely taken over by the bleak sky above.

Still, there was something undeniably peaceful about the sound of raindrops on the roof, the first thing any person would hear when they awoke.

Flip had not slept well that night. This was not surprising, actually, considering the situation. It was his first night away from home in a long time, and the beds at his house were noticeably better than the ones at the Pokécenter. Also, he was for the first time sleeping in the same room with a girl he was rapidly falling head over heels in love with. Finally, on top of all this, one may have noticed during the night before that this is a boy with nightmares, and they seem to be created from paranoia and who knows what else. So, with all this taken into consideration, it is easy to tell why Cascata awoke first, looking far more refreshed and renewed than he would.

She sat up on the edge of the bed and stretched once before taking a look out the window. "Rain..." she said to herself, despite the fact that the weather was very obvious. A small sigh escaped her lips. "I hope it won't slow us down. Going through Mount Moon takes a long time."

Cascata hopped onto the floor and looked at Flip. As already mentioned, he was still sleeping, curled up beneath the covers and looking very cold. Dratini was coiled up beside him. She shook her head. "If he sleeps in again...

~*~

"Good morning, Nurse Joy!" Cascata said in a cheerful voice as she entered the lobby of the Pokécenter.

The Nurse Joy looked up from behind the counter where she was typing something on the computer. "Oh! Good morning...Cassandra?"

She did her best to not break her smile. "Uh, Cascata. Close, though!"

The Joy laughed. "Right, Cascata. I remember now. Sorry about that."

"No, it's alright..." Cascata looked outside again. "Say, Nurse Joy, do you know how difficult it would be to travel on Mount Moon in this weather? I was hoping that after going to the museum, I could still have time to go through Mount Moon and make it to Cerulean city before-"

"Cascata, this better be some sort of joke!" Nurse Joy had stopped working on the computer and was now glaring at the little girl seriously. "Mount Moon is dangerous to travel on in the rain! With all the mining people do to find Moon Stones and fossils there, even a slight drizzle can loosen up the rocks and stones and cause dangerous mudslides. Haven't you heard the stories? One trainer almost got killed because he slipped while trying to walk on a steep part of it! And another one had her leg get trapped beneath a boulder! Even if you were insane enough to try and travel through it, it's almost certain that they've closed all routes off for trainers in a storm like this."

"Eep! Sorry!" she said, lowering her head. "I didn't know, really! I hadn't even thought about anything like that. I'm sorry."

Joy sighed and returned to typing on the computer. "You shouldn't be apologizing to me. You should be apologizing to yourself. Anyway, Diglett's Cave should be fairly safe to travel in, but that doesn't go to Cerulean City. You probably want to challenge the gym leader there, right?"

Cascata nodded. "Something like that. I suppose it's what a lot of trainers do, then?"

"You have no idea. Almost all trainers used to come here first and then head through Mount Moon to Cerulean. However, you probably already know that we've been without a gym leader for a while. Fewer and fewer trainers are coming each day...did you notice that there were almost no other trainers were staying here last night besides you and your friend?"

Cascata thought back. "Yeah...in fact, I think there was only one other person...so, there's no new gym leader yet? That's a shame."

The Nurse Joy sighed. "There may not be a new one for a while. The last one's been here so long...longer than most people expected, actually. He never seemed very content as a gym leader. Ever since he quit, nobody knows what to do. I think some local trainers were thinking about holding a competition for a new one, but...so far, there's no solution in sight." She shook her head and laughed off the sad expression which had crossed her face. "Before I forget, that friend of yours...Flip, he said his name was? Well, the forms he filled out have all been processed. His Pokédex is being teleported here as we speak. You might want to wake him up."

"Oh, sure!" she responded, and quickly turned around and went back into the room with all the beds for trainers. It looked different now since what she had been told made her notice just how many beds were empty in the room. The pattern of the perfectly lined up beds with flawlessly tucked in sheets was broken near the end by her own bed, which a Chansey was already working on smoothing out like the others, and the one which still had Flip curled up in it. He hadn't moved an inch.

She shook him gently. "Wake up, Flip," she said softly. He made little response. "Flip?" Still nothing. She shook him harder. "Come on, Flip, please wake up."

He made a noise too soft to distinguish and shifted slightly so the blanket was covering him even more. The Chansey that was taking care of Cascata's bed, seeing the problem, turned around and lifted Flip up in one hand, slapping his back and forth across the face several times. It was now obvious he was awake, so the Chansey set him down gently on the bed again and quickly finished smoothing out the sheets. It smiled at Cascata and said, "Chansey!" before skipping out, leaving the two in a shocked state.

"Sorry," Cascata apologized, breaking the silence. "I don't know...why it did that. I never knew Chanseys could be...so..."

"It's not your fault, Cass," he said, rubbing his cheek. "I don't know why it did that either. Anyway, why'd you wake me up? Are we leaving soon or something?"

"No. In fact, we can't leave Pewter City. Nurse Joy said it's too dangerous to travel on Mount Moon in the rain." She looked out the window again. The weather was already starting to get worse. "But your Pokédex is going to be ready very soon. Besides, we can still go to see the museum, right?"

"Oh, sure! Let me go get dressed and I'll meet you in the lobby," he said, standing up off his bed. Cascata nodded, and left the same way she had entered. Flip paused for a moment, listening to the rain slowly increase in intensity. He sighed and started gathering clean clothes from his backpack.

~*~

Nurse Joy smiled in her usual cheery manner. "Flip, allow me to present you with your Pokédex. You are now officially a registered trainer who must follow the rules set down by the Pokémon League. This is the beginning of your Pokémon journey! Good luck!" With that, she held out a black Pokédex. In the corner, there were five numbers in gold that glinted in the sun; his ID number.

He looked surprised as he took it in his hand. "Black and gold...?"

Cascata quickly took this opportunity to explain. "Every time they come out with a new edition of the Pokédex, they come up with a new design for it in two colors to give new trainers. For the past few years, they've been using this one...it comes in black and white. The black one has gold for the ID number and buttons, and the white one has silver." She pulled out her own. It was identical to his, except the colors were different; it was, just as she said, white and silver instead. She flipped it open to show the many buttons, all silver.

"Interesting..." he said to himself, looking at the inside of his. "That's an interesting coincidence."

"What do you mean?" Nurse Joy asked.

"Yeah, Flip, what is it?" Cascata said.

He laughed. "Haven't you noticed? Pretty much all of my things are black, gold, or both. They're my favorite colors."

Cascata laughed as well. The Joy just smiled, saying, "Yes, well, I suppose that was a stroke of good luck, wasn't it? Anyway, if you two want to go to the museum, I would suggest you head over there right now. It's a popular place for elementary school kids to have field trips, and most tend to arrive within the next hour or so. So, if you leave right now, you'll probably be able to see the more popular exhibits before it gets very crowded."

Flip and Cascata looked at one another and nodded. "Thanks for telling us, Nurse Joy. We'll get going right now," Flip said, and the two started walking out.

At the door, however, another trainer was walking in, wearing a purple coat like a cloak and with a large Charizard behind her. Flip and Cascata had not turned around yet, and Flip accidentally collided into this person and fell to the floor.

"Hey! Watch it!" the trainer growled in an obviously female voice. They could see the person glaring at them with half-open eyes, and a lock of dark brown hair had fallen from the safety of her hood. She seemed to have a rather broad and buxom figure compared most girls one would meet, and she was tall as well; she could have easily rested her chin atop the mousy Cascata's head. She and her Charizard both had something very intimidating about them as they stared angrily at the blond-haired boy.

"Sorry," Flip said, standing up and rubbing the back of his head. "I didn't see you there. And I don't think you were paying attention to where you were going either..."

She snorted, looking down at him with distaste. "Well, don't let it happen again, twerp." The Charizard snorted as well, and two small rings of smoke came from its nostrils.

Flip looked stunned for a moment at the fierce tone of her voice, but forced himself to walk away from her and towards his goal of the Pokécenter door. Cascata bent over and whispered in his ear, "Sheesh, what's with that girl? I only just met her, and I think I already don't like her..."

The trainer watched the two leave and did not turn around until they were well out of sight. She then turned to face Nurse Joy, who was working on the computer again. A Chansey had started cleaning off the counter. A mischievous grin crossed her face. "Hello, Nurse Joy!" she said in a much friendlier voice than she had used with Flip. "Awful weather, isn't it?"

Nurse Joy did not look up. She apparently had not noticed the scene between the trainers. "Oh, yes, horrible! But I hear it's going to be nice again tomorrow. Lots of sun."

The trainer walked up to the counter and leaned on it, pushing the Chansey aside. "Really? That's good to hear," she said, reaching into her pocket.

The Nurse Joy typed a little bit more, than turned to face the newcomer. "So, how can I help you? A standard healing of your team, I presume?" She was still smiling.

"Oh, no, actually, I came to pick up some Pokémon," the girl said. Her hand tightened around something.

"Really? I don't recognize you...well, I have been a bit forgetful lately. If you'll just give me your name, identification, and the name of the Pokémon you left here, I'll be happy to go and get it for you."

The girl laughed. "Oh...it's not my Pokémon I'm here for..."

Joy looked surprised. "Oh, is it a friend's? Well, you'll need their identification, then, because-"

"You don't understand," she said, still cheerfully, and in one move she pulled out a gun and pointed it at the nurse. "I'm here to pick up allthe Pokémon."

Nurse Joy screamed.

The Chansey, trained for situations like this, dropped its cleaning cloth and dove to knock the gun out of the girl's hand. However, it was stopped in midair by the large Charizard, who threw it against the wall. The lizard breathed a circle of flame which surrounded the normal type Pokémon. Every time the Chansey tried to move it got a nasty burn, so eventually it had no choice but to sit and watch the events unfold through tear-filled eyes.

The girl grinned a big, terrifying smile. "Your little Chansey can't hurt me. My Charizard is more than strong enough to take them all down."

A tear rolled down the Joy's cheek. "P-please! This is a place of peace where the sick and injured are treated! We want no trouble!"

Her grin broadened a little. "Oh, is that so? Well, then, just hand over all the Pokémon and I'll be on my way. No trouble at all."

"No!" the Joy responded, digging up all the bravery she could. "I can't let you!"

The trainer's smile dropped and she sighed. "Your choice."

Her finger tightened on the trigger. There was a flash and Nurse Joy fell to the ground.

She was frightened. The bullet had only hit her arm, which was a far better place for it to hit than, say, any place that had vital organs. Still, it was hard to draw relief from this fact considering that there was still a girl robbing the Pokécenter with a loaded gun she was not afraid to fire. She stayed as still as possible on the floor as the trainer walked past the desk and towards the room where Pokémon were stored.

~*~

Flip looked into the display case. The room was dark, so the only illumination came from inside the tank itself. There was a variety of strange artifacts from an ancient city inside, and each had hieroglyphics he had never seen before engraved into their surface. If he looked at them carefully, they almost resembled different Pokémon...

"Come on, Flip, let's take a look at the fossils!" Cascata said, looking over her shoulder to the entrance to the next room. She could see a big sign for the newest exhibit. "I really want to see the 'Moon Dragon' fossils before it starts getting crowded..."

He sighed. "Okay. But can we come back here later? I'd like to look at these some more."

She lowered her head. "Oh, sorry! No, take all the time you want. Sorry."

Flip smiled and shook his head. "What on earth are you talking about? You convince me to go and you immediately say we don't have to." He began walking towards the fossils. "Come on, Cassie." She scurried to catch up with him.

The fossils were many different varieties, with some very nice ones of Kabuto and Omanyte which apparently had been found in Mount Moon itself. Not too far of it were the evolutions of the two, though a long crack split the Kabutops fossil in half. There were some strange ones from the Hoenn region on the opposite side of the room, and a skeleton of an Aerodactyl hung from the ceiling above them in a pose that suggested it was about to attack them with its sharp teeth. There were many other fossils, most of which were much harder to identify, but the main focus of the large room was the entrance to another.

This was where all the signs had been pointing, and there was a banner across the large doorway with the words "MOON DRAGONS" written in large letters. There was a large crowd inside it, with many more people entering than leaving. Flip and Cascata were able to weave through the people and stand behind a class of small children who were having their guide talk to them about the first fossil, which was of some sort of lizard like creature about the same size as a Charmander.

"...though fossils of the Vapdrageen have also been found in other places, such as the Lunar Bay area. As you can see, it was small, no bigger than some unevolved Pokémon you could find today. If you'll notice to the left of it, there is a model of what we believe the Vapdrageen looked like..." the guide said, while the children pressed their hands and faces against the glass that separated them from the exhibit.

The model which had just been mentioned was the exact same size as the fossil itself, and even in the same pose; slightly curled up with the tail curving in the opposite direction as if to form an S shape. It had very large, snake-like eyes, and its ears, fingers, and toes were all webbed. The model, however, had no color, and thus its eyes, skin, and claws were all the same shade of gray as the stone which the fossil was in.

"Now then," the guide said, doing his best to move all the children towards the next fossil, still unaware of Flip and Cascata following and listening as well, "if you'll come over here, you'll be able to see the Vapdrageen's evolution, Vapdragoon. These tend to be found near places like Evolution Mountain or where there are a surplus of Water Stones, and so, logically, it is believed Vapdrageen evolved into Vapdragoon when it came into contact with a Water Stone. You may notice that the wings on its back are rather strangely shaped...anyone care to guess why?"

The kids thought hard. They studied the model of the Vapdragoon carefully; it looked like a very large Vapdragoon in many ways, but the main difference was the appearance of the two large wings sprouting from its arms. A little boy raised his hand. "They're not coming from the back! Dragon wings usually come from the back!"

The guide smiled. "Yes, good observation! Unlike most other dragons, the Vapdragoon's wings come from the arms in the same manner as a bat's wings would. Now, here's the tricky part...can you figure out why?"

The kids all looked very thoughtful, and Cascata and Flip started thinking hard as well. Then, Cascata said, "I can't even picture this creature flying..."

The guide looked surprised. "Who're you? You're not in this class, are you?"

Cascata's face turned red. "Oh, no, sorry! My friend and I were just following along..."

The guide laughed. "Oh, that's fine. I was just going to say, you looked a little old to be third graders. Anyway, yes, the wings are large, but it'd be impossible for the Vapdragoon to do much more than hover off the ground with them. They were not meant for flying!"

The children looked confused. "But if the wings weren't for flying, what were they for?" one asked.

The guide smiled. "That's the same question many scientists themselves have asked for a long time. Almost all have agreed that the main use for them would have been for it to swim more quickly in the water, since that is where most of them lived and hunted. We may never know if this is the real answer or not. Now, then, let's move on to the newest fossil found in Mount Moon, the very heart of the Moon Dragons exhibit..."

He led them all towards the most crowded part of the enormous room, from which a giant fossil rose towards the ceiling. It was a skeleton like the others, but at least three times taller than any of the humans staring at it. The two arms were spread to either side of it with the hands curving inwards towards it, and the wing bones coming off it showed a wingspan at least as long as it was tall if not more so. Above them was a second set of wings, though these were somewhat smaller than the first pair. The webbed ears seem to encircle its face like a halo.

"Now, then, there is no information on this Pokémon whatsoever. This is the first of its kind ever found, and there are no ancient records of it as there were for Vapdrageen and Vapdragoon. Since it was found in Mount Moon, we have begun calling it Lunadrago the Moon Dragon...and we are eagerly searching for another fossil of this magnificent creature," the guide recited from memory.

The children looked up wide-eyed. A few 'ooh's and 'aah's came from them as they tried to imagine what an incredible skeleton would look like with flesh on it.

Flip's stomach growled. "Hey, Cascata, after we finish looking around at this exhibit, want to go grab lunch?"

She turned, surprised. "You sure? We won't be able to get back in without paying..."

He smiled. "Well, it's not exactly expensive. Besides, it's not like seeing the other things was that much of a big deal. We can see them some other time."

Cascata nodded. She looked back at the fossil again. "It's hard to believe a creature like that could have really existed..."

~*~

A girl with pink hair tied up in a large white bow was looking at a display of moon stones. She smiled as she moved her head back and forth just to watch the way the colors on its surface changed ever so slightly in the light. Behind her, a teacher was talking about some other evolution stones to her class of small children, probably only in first or second grade.

"Now, the one with a lightning bolt on it is a Thunder Stone. Do any of you remember what Pokémon evolves with a Thunder Stone?" she asked.

"Pikachu!" several of them called out at once.

"Good! Any others?"

There was silence for a moment. "Oh! Eevee!" a girl shouted suddenly.

"Good! Remember, Eevee can not only evolve with a Thunder Stone, but also with a Fire Stone or Water Stone, or even with no stone at all. Now...yes, what is it?"

A boy in back looked confused. "Why can Eevee evolve with so many?"

"Well, Eevee's genetic-"

The teacher was cut off by a loud crash as a hole was created in the wall and rain began pouring through. Several of the children began to scream. A girl wearing a purple jacket was illuminated by the light emitted by the large Charizard behind her. She twirled a gun in her hand in an almost playful manner.

"Sorry to interrupt your lesson, kiddies, but I'll be taking those stones," she said, and she fired the gun at the glass case which shattered the moment the bullet hit it. The children that had not started crying in fear before were crying now. The teacher was wide-eyed.

"Everyone! Get out of here!" she yelled pointing towards the door. "Run! Now!" The children did not hesitate to comply, and the teacher was right behind them.

The girl with the gun laughed loudly. "Yes, go, get out of my way you little pests!" She walked up to the shattered case and began picking the evolution stones from the glass. Then she turned to notice the pink-haired girl, who was frozen with fear. "Charizard," she said, glancing quickly at her Pokémon.

The fire-type must have known what she meant, for he walked straight up to the other girl and grabbed her arms from behind. "Zarrrd..." he growled.

"You...why do you..." she started to say.

"Shut up, you little twit. You're a trainer, aren't you?" She walked up until the two were face to face. "Well, I'll just be taking your Pokémon, then."

The pink-haired girl didn't respond to this. "...why do you look like Keria?"

The dark-haired girl froze. "You know who I...oh, this is bad."

The captive started to struggle in an attempt to break free from the Charizard without success. "I won't you get away with this!"

The thief sighed. "You're so lucky I've decided not to kill anyone." She pulled out a rope and began tying her up while the Charizard held her as still as possible.

"You can't do this! It's bad enough you're stealing, but-mrphmhmrphrm..." Her words were cut off as a gag was stuck in her mouth.

"Next time, when I say shut up, just shut up. Got it?" she said, and finished tying a knot. She redirected her attention to the case holding the moon stones. A smile returned to her face, and she smashed in this glass as well.

~*~

Flip was blushing. Since it was raining and he had not remembered an umbrella, Cascata had offered to share hers. The result was that the two were walking very close together. He had to make an effort to not touch her. It was an incredibly awkward situation for him.

Cascata didn't seem to mind at all. "So, where should we go to eat?" she asked. He didn't respond.

The two were just walking around Pewter City. Very few other people were outside besides them.

"Hey, look," she said, leaning over and whispering in his ear. "You see over there?"

Flip turned his head. There was a large building set apart from the others with thick stone walls which the rain could be heard pounding on furiously. He knew what it was instantly. "The Pewter City gym...what about it?"

"No, not that!" she responded. "Look, standing in front of it. Isn't that the trainer from before?"

His eyes moved from the building itself to the trainer in front. It was easy for him to recognize the girl; even if the purple coat had not told him, the large Charizard standing beside her, who did not seem to mind the rain as much as it should have, was enough to jog his memory. She was staring at the building.

Flip and Cascata walked up to her. "Hey-"

"How long has the gym leader been gone?" she asked, cutting Flip off. Her tone of voice was completely different. It was very steady and calm, though there was almost a hint of sadness to it.

"Uh..." Cascata counted in her head. "Five months...maybe six? I can't remember."

There was silence for a moment. "Really...that long?" The girl started laughing in an almost sarcastic way.

"Yeah...why?" Cascata asked, confused.

She did her best to stop laughing. "Four years..."

Flip and Cascata exchanged a puzzled glance.

"I've been training four years..." she continued, still laughing. "...four years..." Her laugher stopped and she slammed her fist against the stone wall.

"...for absolutely nothing." The hint of sadness in her voice had been replaced with one of anger.

A rumble of thunder could be heard from overhead. It began raining harder. The Charizard snorted unhappily at this.

She shook her head. "Figures. So, who are you?" she said, seeming to finally acknowledge the presence of the two. Her voice had become calm again.

"I'm Cascata, and this is Flip," Cascata said in a less cheerful tone than usual, probably dampened by the rain and the mood this person had created.

Flip frowned. "Yeah, the 'twerp' you snapped at this morning."

The trainer looked at them. Something seemed to have changed about her eyes since they last met: though they were still half-open, they did not make her look like she was angry at them at all. "...I beg your pardon?" she spoke, cocking her head slightly to one side.

"You know, this morning, in the Pokécenter," he said. "You snapped at me after I bumped into you, even though I apologized..."

She had a puzzled expression on her face. "Uh...I haven't visited the Pokécenter yet. Brenner and I just flew into town. It's the first time I've been to Kanto...since..." She turned away and looked sad for a moment.

"I don't get it," Cascata said. "The person looked a lot like you. She had a Charizard with her and everything."

Flip studied the girl's face carefully. "Actually, now that I look closely...I don't think you were the one I ran into at the Pokécenter. I'm not sure if you are, at least." He shrugged. "Could've just been a weird coincidence, I guess. Or you have a doppelganger or something."

She smiled and looked back up at them. "Well, I've never seen you before in my life. Anyway, it's nice to meet you, Flip, Cascata. My name is Keria."

Cascata's eyebrows jumped up immediately. "Keria...you mean...the Keria? The prodigy who-" she started.

She was cut off by the sound of sirens. They all turned to see Officer Jenny on her motorcycle followed by many police cars. "Wonder what's going on. Things are usually peaceful in the Kanto region these days..." Keria said to herself.

"There she is!" Jenny said, and she screeched to a halt in front of the three and leapt off the motorcycle. "You're under arrest, thief!" she said to Keria, grabbing one of her wrists and handcuffing it.

The trainer was confused. "I...what? What's going on? What did I do?" she said, as her other hand was handcuffed as well.

Jenny scowled at her while the police cars surrounded the four of them. "Oh, don't even try playing dumb! We have witnesses who saw you rob the Pokécenter and the museum while armed with a gun!"

Cascata cut in. "Are you sure it was her, Officer Jenny? We had-"

She didn't listen. "Sure?! How many girls are running around in purple coats with big Charizards around here?! Come on, let's go!" she snapped, tugging her off into one of the police cars. Some other officers were doing the same to the Charizard, who was looking just as confused as its trainer.

"Actually, Officer-" Flip started, but the police completely ignored them. A minute later, they could see the cars driving away, sirens still blaring. The two trainers sat shocked and confused in the rain.

"...there might be two," Flip finished, still standing under the umbrella.

The rain continued to pound. Flip and Cascata exchanged another puzzled glance. They both broke into a run towards the police station.

~*~

When they got to the police station, Keria was already behind bars, and so was her Charizard. Officer Jenny was looking extremely angry.

"This is your 'team', right? Then explain this...all four of these were among the Pokémon stolen from the Pokécenter. And you don't have a Pokédex on you. I doubt that's a coincidence!" Jenny snapped, holding up four Pokéballs.

Keria sighed. "Okay. First off, if you would actually let them out, you would note that they respond to the names Sandy, Redda, Montague, and Nentes, respectively, and the ones that were stolen do not. Not to mention I can almost guarantee that they're much stronger than the ones that were stolen from the Pokécenter. Second, I just told you, I lost my Pokédex. I lose a lot of things. I flew in on Brenner from the north, so it probably fell around there, and if you-"

Jenny cut her off again. "Oh, come on, how dumb do you think we are? You 'lost' it. Right. And you want us to let you out so you can go find it in the woods to the north." She took a sip of coffee.

Keria frowned. "No, I was thinking more that..." she started, but it was then that she noticed the two trainers enter. "Oh! You're...Flip and Cascata, was it?"

Cascata nodded. "Officer Jenny, we think Keria is innocent-"

Officer Jenny spat out her drink in surprise. "Keria?! You mean the prodigy?!" She looked at the trainer. "I knew she looked familiar...disgusting." She turned away in anger. "Absolutely disgusting. Something's wrong with this world when someone with so much going for them can just throw it all away and become a rotten criminal. I'm calling your parents right now." With that, she stood up and started walking away.

"No! Wait!" Keria looked scared. She grabbed the bars and pushed her head out, calling after the police officer. "Don't! I'm innocent! Don't tell them...that..." Jenny was already gone. She slumped back into the corner of her cell. "...oh, this won't end well."

"She didn't even listen to us..." Cascata said, pouting.

"She's really stressed." Keria said, rolling her eyes. "Perfectly understandable considering her job, I suppose. She should do something about it, though. It interferes with the clarity of one's thinking."

Flip turned towards Keria. "Uh...why are you so calm? Aren't you worried?"

She closed her eyes and shook her head. "I am. I'm always worried. Just not about things like this. Though this might take a while to work itself out, which is very annoying." She crossed one leg over the other. "I can wait, I guess. But-"

"Well, maybe we could help you out," Flip said, turning back towards the door. "Where did you say your Pokédex was?"

"The woods to the north..." she said, opening one eye. "You're gonna try and find it, I assume?"

"That's the idea." Flip said. "C'mon, Cassie."

Keria did a half-smile as the two went back into the rain. "You don't have to, but...thanks." She stared at the ceiling. "I hope this all clears up soon. Otherwise, my parents are going to kill me..."

~*~

"Who is this Keria, anyway?" Flip asked. The woods were becoming very muddy from the rain mixing in with the leaf litter and other decaying organic matter. Still, it was somewhat more enjoyable than walking the streets, since the branches were creating a canopy that stopped some of the rain mid-fall.

"Don't you remember?" Cascata asked. "She became a trainer four years ago. She was pretty much a genius...she knew more about Pokémon than some of the top trainers, including raising and battling them. Everyone called her a prodigy. There was even a news team that was devoted to covering her for a very short period of time."

He stopped. "Oh, I think I remember that...but I never watched television much. So, what happened?"

"Oh, it was awful. She lost her first gym battle, which was at the Pewter City Gym. I think the leader used his normal team instead of the one that he uses against new trainers...you know, to give them a fighting chance. She was beaten in under a minute." Cascata shook her head. "She was completely devastated. She swore she would beat him and stormed out of the gym."

"Then that's what she meant when she said..." Flip looked thoughtful for a moment, then started walking again. "So...?"

"So...what?" Cascata responded.

"What happened to her then?"

"Oh! I dunno, really," Cascata said. "Everyone stopped caring. They figured that she wasn't the prodigy they had all made her out to be. The news team stopped reporting her every action. She vanished from the spotlight completely. In fact, this is the first I've heard about her since then. I guess she was serious when she swore to beat him, but...that doesn't really matter now, does it? She must have never heard about the gym leader leaving. Poor Keria. It's kind of odd, though, considering that she's from this region, and if she cared so much about beating him, you'd think she would have been the first to hear about it..."

"Pichupi!" they heard. Hazard, who had been let out earlier, leapt out of the bushes with a black rectangle in its front teeth. It scrambled onto Flip's shoulder and dropped it into his hands. Flip opened it and pressed the appropriate button.

"Bzzrt--Pokédex--bzzrt--two-one-two--bzzrt--name-of--bzzrt--if-lost--bzzrt--cannot-be--bzzrt!" it struggled to say as static appeared on the screen.

Flip frowned. "Great. It's broken."

"Hang on..." Cascata said, taking it from him. She dug into her pocket and pulled out a small screwdriver. "I think I can fix it." She turned it over and began taking out the screws.

Flip was stunned. "Say what? You mean..."

She smiled at him. "Oh, I'm just good with stuff like this. I've been a technology geek since I was little. I've fixed other stuff with bigger problems than this one! Hold the umbrella over me, would you?"

She slid off the back cover. He couldn't see what she was doing due to the lack of light. In a moment she decided she was done, and reattached the back of the Pokédex. "See? That's all it needed. Probably just hit a branch or something when it fell that knocked that connection loose..." Cascata smiled and flipped open the Pokédex again.

"Greetings!" it chirped. "What-would-you-like-for-me-to-do--Keria?" Cascata pressed the same button Flip had, and a picture of Keria appeared on the screen. "Trainer-identification--This-is-Pokédex-and-trainer's-license-for-trainer-five-two-one-two-seven--by-the-name-of-Keria-" She closed it.

"That was impressive," Flip said, looking at Cascata. "I had no idea you were good with that sort of stuff..."

"Oh, it was nothing. Come on, we have to show this to Officer Jenny!" she said, shoving the Pokédex in her pocket and turning back towards Pewter City.

~*~

Officer Jenny closed the Pokédex. "Well, this proves she was telling the truth..." she said.

Keria looked happy. "See? And you didn't believe me. Now, if you'll just let me out of here..."

Jenny turned back towards the trainer angrily. "What? Absolutely not, thief!"

"What do you mean?" Flip said. "You just said it yourself! The Pokédex proves she's innocent. Let her go!"

The officer slapped the Pokédex on her desk. "No! The Pokédex only proves that the four Pokémon on her team weren't stolen. That doesn't mean she didn't commit those robberies!" She began looking through some paperwork. "Trainers can be criminals just like everyone else. And there's currently no evidence that gives reasonable doubt that she didn't commit them."

"But there is, Officer Jenny," Cascata said. "We were trying to tell you it the last time..."

Officer Jenny didn't look up. "Oh, really? Let's hear it."

The girl looked back at Flip, who nodded and cleared his throat.

"Cascata and myself were at the Pokécenter for most of the morning. When we were leaving, we ran into a trainer that looked a lot like Keria," he said, gesturing to the locked up trainer, "but was not actually her."

This caught Jenny's attention. "Go on," she said, studying all three of the trainers carefully.

"The similarities were remarkable," he said, turning towards Keria. "Brown eyes, brown hair, purple coat, dark blue pants, even similar height and body type. And, of course, the Charizard. But getting a good look at both and talking with both...it was enough for me to know that it was definitely not Keria who I met. And the crime would've had to have taken place right after we left, because it certainly didn't happen while we were there, and the person wouldn't have had the time to rob the museum afterwards."

Jenny took another sip of coffee. "Are you suggesting she was framed?"

Flip stopped. "Actually, I hadn't thought of that. I thought it was only a coincidence, but that would make a lot more sense." He looked downwards. "But that would mean the person would have had to have known Keria was coming to Pewter City, not to mention at what specific time she would be here. Trainers always head to the Pokécenter first, so she had to rob it before Keria came here..." Flip shook his head. "So it was either a very large coincidence, or this thief is very smart."

The officer took a sip of her coffee. "Or you're giving a false testimony. There's a lot of concrete evidence against Keria right now, and I'm already suspicious of you. There's not even any proof you were at the Pokécenter this morning." She glared at Flip. "And why would you go out of your way to help this girl, anyway? Are you just supposed to be some sort of nice guy?"

"If I may interrupt," Keria started, pressing against the bars of her cell, "you shouldn't criticize him for being a good citizen. Perhaps he is telling what he knows because he doesn't want to see an innocent go to jail, or perhaps because of the more obvious reason that if I'm in here, and I'm not the criminal-"

"Then the criminal is still out and probably still in the city."

"Exactly!" Keria said. "Wait, who said that?"

Everyone turned towards where the remark had come from. Nurse Joy was standing in the doorway, her arm wrapped in a bandage.

"Nurse Joy, what are you doing here? Shouldn't you still be resting?" Officer Jenny began. "I mean, your injury-"

"It was my arm that was shot, not my leg. I can still walk," Joy said. "And I can tell you that it was certainly not by this trainer. I would have known right away if it was Keria. Even I can't seem to forget someone like her. She's...well...unique, I guess you could say."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Keria said, looking annoyed and amused at the same time.

"You're a smart girl, so I'm sure you can figure it out," Joy said, smiling for a moment before her expression turned serious again. "There were a lot of small differences, actually. The girl had slightly lighter skin, was a little taller, noticeably thinner-"

"What's that supposed to mean?!" Keria asked again, much more annoyed and not at all amused.

Joy ignored her this time. "Of course, the largest difference was the eyes. They were nothing like Keria's. Keria's eyes seem to droop in a very relaxed and natural way, like she's tired. But the other trainer...her eyes seemed forced and half-squinting, more like a glare."

"You're certain about all this?" Jenny asked.

"I'm positive," Joy responded. "If you can't believe my testimony, whose can you believe?"

The phone rang, interrupting their conversation. Jenny quickly picked it up. "Pewter City Police Department, Officer Jenny speaking...what?! You mean...right now?! I'm on it!" She slammed it back down. "You guys were right! That criminal's still on the loose! She just robbed the Pokémart!"

Keria was delighted. "Now do you believe I'm innocent?"

"Yes, yes, I was wrong, you're probably innocent, but until we catch the real criminal you'll have to stay in there," Jenny said, heading straight towards the door.

"Wait!" Keria said. "She's got a Charizard with her, right? Maybe I could help you!" She looked at her Pokéballs. "I'm a very experienced Pokémon trainer. I could fight that Charizard a lot easier than any of you could! Please, let me come with you!"

Jenny paused a moment. "Well...fine, but you'd better not leave my sight!" She quickly turned around and unlocked the cell. "Now, grab your Pokéballs and let's go. There's no time!"

The two ran out the door. Cascata looked at Flip. "Come on, Flip! I don't wanna miss this!" She grabbed his hand and pulled him out the door.

Joy looked in the direction all four had run sadly. "Be careful, all of you..."

~*~

The rain was pouring down in buckets now, creating a dull rumble from the inside of the gym. She tossed a bag of money from the Pokémart next to the rest of her loot. It bumped against the young trainer with pink hair, and for a moment it looked like she was going to wake up. The thief froze in place. The sleeping girl settled back down, and the thief laughed to herself.

"The idiot police probably don't even know what hit 'em. I think we've pretty much finished in this city, don't you, Charizard?" she asked, turning towards the large lizard. It let out a loud roar, and the girl immediately slapped it. "Not so loud, moron. Someone might hear you." It growled sadly.

She stepped up on one of the rocks of the battle field and posed on it. "Even if they figure out they've been duped and start searching the city for me, by the time they even think to check this old gym we'll be long gone. I am a perfect criminal! Haha!" Her voice echoed nearly as loudly as the Charizard's had before. She stood normally again and began looking thoughtful. "What to do with this girl, though? It'll be hard enough to carry all this stuff as it is..." She began pacing back and forth on the rocks. "Charizard wouldn't be able to carry her all the way back. I could just leave her here, but she might make trouble. Hrm..."

Charizard lifted its head suddenly. Its hearing was better than that of its human trainer, and thus it could hear sirens through the thick stone walls of the gym. "Chaaarizaaard!" it yelled, trying to warn its trainer.

"Shut up, you dumb lizard! I'm trying to think here!" she snapped again, then went back to thinking. "Maybe I could just abandon her on an island...?"

The Charizard started getting nervous. It began shifting uncomfortably from foot to foot and stretching its wings as if it wanted to fly. Smoke began drifting through its nostrils, and embers were starting to form at its mouth.

"Cut it out, Charizard. That's distracting," she yelled again, hitting the Charizard on top of the head.

It settled down again for a moment, but the sirens were getting too close for its liking. It began pumping its wings, and rose a few feet into the air before leaning forward and grabbing the stolen goods in its arms. It turned in midair and scooped up the thief on its neck, and began heading towards a weak point in the ceiling it knew it could break through. However, a sharp pain ran through its head, and it began plummeting. It slammed into the ground painfully, scattering the contents of its arms all over the floor. The girl got off it, almost completely unaffected by the fall, and began slapping the large Pokémon back and forth across the face.

"Stupid Charizard!" she growled at it. "What's gotten into you, anyway?! You're gonna get us caught!"

"You know, you really shouldn't treat your Pokémon like that," a voice echoed from the other side of the gym.

The thief froze in place as a mixed feeling of fear and self-loathing consumed her. She now knew what the Charizard had been trying to warn her about. She swiftly turned towards where the voice had come from. "Who's there?!"

Keria, dripping wet from the rain and furious with anger, stood silhouetted in the open doorway. Flip and Cascata were behind her, and through the rain could be seen the flashing lights of police cars. She pointed a single finger in the direction of the criminal. "I am Keria, and you have stolen my look as well as many other valuable items! How dare you attempt to frame me for your crimes! You shall not get away with this!" she shouted, her voice flooding every corner of the large stone gym. She pulled a Pokéball from her pocket and gave it a quick kiss for luck before throwing it onto the field. "Go, Sandy! Let's see who this person really is!"

In a flash of light, a Sandslash emerged from the Pokéball and began charging towards the thief. It swiped once with its right claw, just grazing the fabric of her purple coat. The coat was ripped off, and suddenly it became very clear the thief was not as similar to Keria as they had thought

The woman had much longer hair of a lighter shade of brown, which lacked any of the waves and curls Keria's seemed to have. Her skin was much paler, and she was perhaps a little taller though this could have been an illusion caused by her almost unnaturally narrow waist. As if in response to her disguise being ruined, her eyes opened to their normal state.

"I don't understand...this was perfect!" the woman yelled in frustration. "I won't let you screw it up! Go, Houndour!" She threw a Pokéball to the ground as if she were trying to break it.

A Houndour emerged, and it snarled at the Sandslash. It lunged instinctively, but the Sandslash leapt atop one of the larger rocks and the Houndour skidded to a stop beside it.

"Hah! You're joking, right? Has that puppy even battled before?" Keria called, almost cheerfully. "Mud-slap it, Sandy!"

The Houndour attempted another charge at the Sandslash while the mouse scrambled over towards where some of the rain from outside had leaked in and was starting to form a puddle. It used its claw like a shovel to fling a large amount of the mud straight into the Houndour's face. The mixture of sand and water caused it to whine in pain as it hissed against the fiery heat of its skin. The Houndour shook its head, trying to clear its vision.

"What are you waiting for, Houndour?! Use Ember!" she commanded, trying to scoop up as many of the the pokéballs, stones, and bills into the first bag she could grab.

"Swift!" Keria cried out.

The Houndour shot a small burst of flame at the Sandslash, but it was off by enough for the mouse to dodge it. The Sandslash then curled up and began rolling in place, giving off a spray of star-shaped sparks. The Houndour was hit by the majority of them, but others went off in different directions on the enemy's side, including straight through the fabric of the bag the thief was holding.

"Total emergency!" the thief cried, and held out a Pokéball. The Houndour vanished into it before everyone's eyes. She began running towards a door in the back while she yelled, "Get 'em, Charizard!"

The Charizard rose into the air upon hearing its owner call, and did a diving attack against the Sandslash, knocking it back a few feet. It managed to stay on its feet, but it vanished just as the Houndour had moments before.

"Good job, Sandy," Keria said, replacing the Pokéball back in her pocket and pulling out another. "Now, however, it's time to show this thief a real Charizard! Go, Brenner!" She kissed this one, too, and tossed it onto the battlefield.

The first thing one could notice as soon as the second Charizard came into view was that it was over a foot taller than the previous one and much more muscular. It held its head up and let out a rumbling roar, causing the smaller one to recoil a bit and land awkwardly on the ground.

About this time, the thief, who had been trying to open the door but found it tightly locked, slammed into it with the entire weight of her body. She did this two more times before the lock gave up and the door went flying open. "Losers!" she called back, then vanished into it.

Keria turned her head and said to Flip and Cascata, "You two, follow her! I'll make sure the Charizard doesn't attack you!"

"We're on it!" Cascata said, and the two took off in a sprint along the right side of the gym.

"Now then," Keria said to herself, turning back to the battle. "Brenner, use Fly!"

The two Charizards began lifting themselves into the air. Keria's Charizard flew away from the opponent, who had noticed the two trainers and was turning in their direction. The larger Charizard lunged at the opponent, slamming him into the boulder-covered battlefield. The smaller one returned his attention to the battle and slashed with its sharp claws across other's arm while Flip and Cascata continued running towards the broken door.

"Mega Punch, Brenner!"

A large scaly fist collided with the side of the other Charizard's head. It recoiled a moment, then took a deep breath in before unleashing a narrow cone of flames in response. Brenner flinched a little, but otherwise only looked a bit singed from the attack.

"Haha!" Keria laughed and struck a very smug looking pose. "Ah, battles like this remind me how good it feels to be a competent trainer. Since we're wrapping this battle up anyway, how about showing this Charizard a real Flamethrower, eh, Brenner?"

The larger Charizard snorted to confirm the command. Its chest swelled as it filled its lungs with air. When it reached its limit, the Charizard opened its mouth and unleashed a large flame. The other Charizard was consumed and, despite its own fire type and therefore its resistance to fire, fell forward onto the ground afterwards with a loud thud. Keria's Charizard let out a triumphant roar.

Keria beamed with pride. "Victory! Good job, Brenner! Now, let's-"

The battle didn't seem to be over, however. The other Charizard attempted to fly again, and dived at its opponent with a clumsy sort of rage. Brenner threw it off almost immediately, but it did a u-turn in the air and rammed its head straight into the larger Charizard's chest. It skidded off to the left and landed in a crumpled heap on a large boulder. This still did not stop it however, and it quickly regained what little composure it could manage.

"What's going on?! Is it crazy?! It can't still have the strength to fight!" Keria said, looking unusually worried for the other Pokémon. "It's only going to hurt itself! Pin it down, Brenner!"

Her Charizard turned and gave her a quick nod and rose into the air. The other Charizard, seeing this as a chance to attack, charged Brenner's legs in an attempt to bring him back to the ground. Brenner pumped his wings with as much strength as he could manage, rising into the air before the other Charizard could grab him. It fell to the ground and Brenner quickly dropped to place a large foot firmly on its back. The opponent began flailing wildly, sending flames in random directions and scorching the field in many places.

"What's with this thing?" Keria asked herself, quickly jumping out of the way of one of the stray fireballs. "What could make it so angry that it would push itself beyond its limits to win this fight?"

~*~

"There we go!" the thief said to herself, finally locating a door leading out of the gym. She could see nothing outside except for the light from the room glinting off some of the raindrops that fell past the door. She paused a moment to catch her breath, but could hear someone heading straight in her direction and thus thought it better to keep going and wait until she was far away from the city to rest. The girl dove for the door, pushing straight out into the darkness and the rain.

"Freeze, thief! You're under arrest for armed robbery!" a voice called from outside.

With the light from the room inside now shining into the darkness, she could see Officer Jenny waiting with some other police officers, all who apparently had expected her to exit the gym. She backed up in surprise. Her legs froze, but in the back of her mind she knew it didn't matter anyway. Any other doors leaving the gym were doubtlessly blocked by police officers as well.

"Oh, come on! This wasn't supposed to be this hard!" the thief yelled at no one in particular. She quickly pulled out her gun and pointed it forward. "Listen, whether I have to use this again or not, you're not catching me! So don't force me to make this messier than it has to be!"

It was then, however, that a light blue serpent leapt upon her right arm and began wrapping around it. She screamed and attempted to shake it off as violently as she could. The serpent, which she could now see was a Dratini, focused its constricting on her hand and managed to pull the gun out of it. The Pokémon and the weapon dropped to the floor in a heap, and as soon as the Dratini recovered from the fall it smashed the gun with all of its strength.

The thief turned, and saw the trainers Flip and Cascata blocking off her exit from the room. "You're not going anywhere!" Flip said, holding a Pokéball in his hand.

Her eyes grew very wide with fear as she looked from the police officers starting to come in from the rain and the two trainers readying to call out their other Pokémon. "Not good! Well, looks like I'll have to use my last resort," she said, pulling out what appeared from the markings to be an Ultra Ball. "Get me out of here, Abra!"

The Ultra Ball opened, revealing the Psychic Pokémon known as Abra. It sat for a split second on the ground in front of the thief, eyes closed as if it were asleep, before the Pokémon and its trainer began glowing. Flip and Officer Jenny both dived for the two in a desperate final attempt to stop them, but the two vanished in a flash of psychic power right after the girl got a final word in...

"Buh-bye, losers!"

Flip rubbed his head from his hitting it on the floor. "She's gone..." he mumbled, feeling it necessary to restate the obvious.

Officer Jenny clenched a fist in frustration. "She got away! I don't believe this! The thief got away!"

Cascata sighed. "Well, at least she didn't get away with any of the stolen goods, right?"

Officer Jenny sighed and shook her head. "But she got away...and we have no way of tracking her down."

The conversation was cut off by a loud scream followed by the roar of a Charizard.

"Did you hear that?!" Flip asked.

"It sounded like it came from the battlefield!" Officer Jenny responded, jumping to her feet.

"Which means Keria is in trouble!" Cascata exclaimed, heading back towards where she came.

When the group arrived back in the battlefield, they saw the smaller Charizard looming over the unconscious body of Keria. A broken Great Ball lay on the ground to the side of them. The large Pokémon noticed them almost immediately and turned to face them. It let out another tremendous roar before firing a fountain of flames at them. The people all scattered to either side, narrowly dodging the attack. It focused its attacks at Flip and Cascata, who had both chosen to take cover behind the nearest boulder.

"What are we going to do?!" Cascata asked aloud, ducking to avoid the fire that was shooting over her head. "Keria's out, and she was the only one with strong enough Pokémon to take out that Charizard!"

"We have to wait this out!" Flip replied, looking around the rock at the raging Pokémon. "It's a long shot, but I think we can let it just tire itself out."

"But what if it turns its attacks on Jenny and the other officers?" Cascata asked. "Worse, what if it decides to attack Keria more? She'd be at the mercy of his attacks!"

He looked at Keria, who was still sprawled out on the ground behind the Charizard. "Agh, you're right. We need to do something and fast..." Flip said, returning to ducking fully behind the rock. He closed his eyes, thinking. They snapped open less than a moment later. "Wait! That Charizard should be weakened from fighting Keria's Charizard, right?"

"Right. You think she tried to catch it?" Cascata said, remembering the broken Great Ball.

"I'm almost certain, but we'll figure that out later," Flip said, pulling out a Pokéball. "Our Pokémon may be weaker than Keria's, but if we used more than one..."

"I get it. Why worry about following the League rules for an emergency situation like this?" Cascata asked.

"We'll just say it's a double battle," Flip said, smiling, "and the opponent wanted to use only one Pokémon. Ready?"

Cascata nodded. "Let's get this battle started!"

The two leapt out from behind the rock and posed dramatically. "We challenge you!" they said at the same time, holding their Pokéballs forward. The Charizard looked at them puzzledly.

"Go, Hazard!" Flip called out, throwing the Pokéball.

"Go, Cira!" Cascata shouted, throwing her Pokéball as well.

The two Pokéballs landed next to each other and popped open, revealing a small electric rodent and a tiny bird. Despite them looking their fiercest, the Charizard laughed in a deep and rumbling bellow. It stomped on the ground in front of them, causing the Pichu to fall over. The mouse stood back up immediately, however, and began sparking at the cheeks threateningly.

"Cira, use Sand Attack!" Cascata yelled to her Pokémon, cupping her hands around her mouth to make sure her voice carried far enough.

"Thunderwave, Hazard!" Flip commanded.

The Pichu sent a seemingly ineffective jolt into the Charizard's body, and the Pokémon began to laugh even harder. The Pidgey flapped its wings and caused a cloud of dirt to fly into the Charizard's eyes. This enraged it, and it made a move to attack only to find that its muscles were tightening and it could barely move at all.

"Good work, Hazard!" Flip said. "Now, use Thundershock!"

"Use your Gust attack, Cira!" Cascata yelled.

Pichu jumped atop one of the nearby rocks to avoid a slash from the Charizard's claws, then began charging electricity in its cheeks. When it reached the limit to the power its cheeks could store at the moment, it released a shock into the massive body of the Charizard. The Pidgey, from the other side, created a very small tornado which picked up the sand and gravel from the ground and slammed them into the fire lizard. The Charizard was growing angry, and attempted to slam its fist into the Pidgey but narrowly missed it and smashed the rock it had perched on instead.

"It's working!" Cascata cried in delight. "Use Gust again!"

"Keep Thundershocking it!" Flip shouted to his Pichu.

The two dodged another round of attacks from the slowed and blinded Charizard, then sent another shock and tornado in the direction of its body. The opponent seemed to be growing very angry at this point. It slashed at the Pidgey and connected this time, sending it plummeting to the ground in seconds.

"Cira! Return!" Cascata called, holding out her Pokéball for the Pokémon to be sucked back into. "You'll pay for hurting her, you big meanie! Go, Wade!"

She flung another Pokéball onto the field and her Squirtle popped out, smiling happily and doing a little dance as it appeared. It looked up at the Charizard and cried out in fear, leaping backwards while the Pichu shocked the enemy a third time.

"Don't be scared, Wade! Use Bubble!" Cascata called to her Pokémon.

The small turtle nodded, trying to look as confident as it could, sending a spray of foamy bubbles straight into the face of the large Pokémon. The Pichu managed to shock it a fourth time before the Charizard slammed its fist straight into the rodent's yellow belly and sent it flying backwards.

"Pichauuu!" it whined, collapsing in a little furry heap.

"H-hazard!" Flip yelled, holding up the Pokéball for the little Pokémon to return to. "You did your best, Hazard. Now, Dratini, it's your turn!"

"Tiiini!" it cried, springing off Flip's shoulder. The Dratini showed no signs of fear of the massive reptile. In fact, it leered at the Charizard in a way that made it stumble in a frightened sort of surprise despite the obvious difference in strength.

"Keep using Bubble, Wade!" Cascata called. "I think it's going to fall soon!"

"It's too big to Wrap..." Flip said to himself. "But does Dratini have any other attacks? Maybe...Dratini, see if you can do a Twister attack!"

The small dragon, in response, began to concentrate. It focused its energy, then released it all in a spiral of wind into the Charizard's stomach. The Charizard turned and attempted to strike the small Pokémon, but failed and was hit with another spray of bubbles that started hissing against its burning skin. The Charizard snarled in pain

"You did it Dratini!" Flip called excitedly. "Do it again! I think we've almost finished this battle!"

The Dratini unleashed another Twister straight towards the belly of the Charizard and the Squirtle another Bubble into its face. The Charizard breathed fire at the two, managing to hit the turtle with the very edge of it. "Squiir-tuhl!" it cried in pain, clutching the spot where it was hit. The Charizard turned to focus its attacks on it.

"Wade!" Cascata called, holding the Pokéball ready to call the Pokémon back.

Before the Charizard could attack, however, Dratini fired another Twister at it, this one hitting it straight in the side of the head and causing it to fall over. The two Pokémon and their trainers stood still for a moment, waiting for any sign of movement. Its wings and tail twitched a bit before it gave out a sigh of defeat.

"We did it!" Cascata yelled, throwing her arms into the air. "We really did it!"

"We...we did, didn't we?!" Flip said. "We actually won!"

"Hooray! We have got to be the best team ever!" Cascata shouted, giving Flip a big hug, causing him to freeze and go bright red.

"Uh...erm...w-well," he began, "it certainly was impressive our Pokémon could take down something like that Charizard, even if it was already weakened..."

"It sure was!" Cascata exclaimed. "Oh, wait, that's right, Keria!" She let go quickly and ran over to the other trainer.

The trainer had already awoken. She was hunched over a bit, holding the right side of her face. "Agh...how did it break out? Never seen that happen before..." she muttered to herself, pulling her hand away so she could look at it. "No blood...well, that's a good sign...I think..."

Cascata knelt in front of her. "Are you okay? What happened?" she asked.

"The Charizard wouldn't give in to defeat..." Keria began, looking at its limp body on the battlefield. "There are some scars on it, mostly the wings...and it was raging like a savage beast...I think that thief did something to it. No, I'm sure of it."

"Like what?" Flip said, stretching one of its wings out to full length. When he did such, he could see a number of long pale scars crisscrossing in strange patterns.

"Abused it, probably. She was hurting it when we first entered here, remember?" she said, rubbing her face tenderly again. "It's happened before in the past...Pokémon being mistreated and becoming feral beasts with an uncontainable urge not only to win but to destroy..."

"So you tried to catch it?" Flip questioned, gently placing the wing in its natural folded position.

"Absolutely!" Keria said, looking at him. "The thief abandoned it, first off. Even if she were to come back for it, how could it possibly be trusted in the hands of a trainer who would not only abuse it but abandon it as well? I had a moral obligation to make sure she didn't get her hands on it again!"

"But what were you going to do with it?" Cascata said, standing up and offering a hand to help the weakened trainer stand up as well.

"Well, that's the second reason I had for trying to capture it," Keria said, taking the hand and pulling herself to her feet. "My sister has a talent for dealing with Pokémon like this and calming them down to their normal selves. I was going to bring the Charizard to her..." She walked over and picked up the pieces of the broken Great Ball. "But the Charizard...it did something strange. It couldn't break out at first. It was a successful capture, so I called Brenner back and was picking up the Great Ball to send to my storage...and then, all at once, the Pokéball started shaking again and it broke out, causing the ball to explode open in my hands. And that's all I remember. The blast knocked me out, I guess." She sighed, "I knew I should have used an Ultra Ball..."

Flip pulled out an empty Pokéball. "Well, now it should be weak enough for this...do you mind, Keria?" he asked, turning to face her.

"Uh...Flip, it might be weak enough for that now, but...once it gets its strength back, I have a feeling it'll break out of it like it did with the Great Ball. But...hang on," she said, digging into a pocket on the side of her pants. She pulled out a variety of different Pokéballs, and handed a black one with a gold stripe down the middle to him. "Here. It shouldn't stand a chance against an Ultra Ball. And I'm only letting you catch it because you probably would like Charizard added to your Pokédex...am I right?" Flip nodded. "Thought so. Don't even think about using it for battle. There's only an extremely slim chance you'd be able to control it, and that's a risk you really don't want to take."

"I know, I know..." he said, taking a moment to examine the Ultra Ball in his hands. "More black and gold...how odd."

"What's odd?" Keria asked, examining how the pieces of the Great Ball fit together.

"I'll tell you later," he sighed, dropping the Ultra Ball on the fainted Pokémon. It didn't even bother to attempt escape. He picked it up, and heard a small chime from his Pokédex to indicate that detailed information on the new Pokémon had been added.

~*~

The girl with pink hair woke up to find herself in a bed at the Pokécenter. It was too dark outside to see anything outside, but she could hear the soft sound of rain falling on the roof. The weather seemed to finally be letting up. She yawned and stretched, looking around.

"Long time no see, Hope," someone said from very close. "How was your nap?"

The trainer turned and saw Keria sitting on one of the other beds, holding an ice pack over her right eye. "Oh, Keria! Thank goodness it's you!" she said, breathing a sigh of relief. "Awful things have been happening. There's a thief who disguised herself as you and-"

Keria laughed. "I know, Hope. That's old news. The thief got away, but luckily with nothing of what she stole." She shifted the way she was holding the ice pack in an attempt to keep her hand from going numb. "How'd you get involved with this, anyway?"

Hope laughed. "I suppose I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. That's all. But I think I have some information that might help..."

"Oh, really?" the dark haired trainer replied, looking up. Hope nodded and was about to go into further detail, but Keria cut off by saying, "Wait until the police come back and tell them. I've had enough of this for one day, and it's been ages since we've seen eachother..."

"You two know eachother?" Cascata asked. The two turned to see her standing in the doorway, holding her Squirtle who still had a bandage wrapped around his torso where the fire had hit.

"Know eachother? We were close friends back when we were in school!" Keria said, smiling. "But I haven't seen her since we started our Pokémon training. I'm surprised she still recognizes me."

Hope laughed. "Oh, come on. You've grown a lot, but you're more or less exactly the same as you were four years ago. In fact, the thing that threw me off the most is that you're not wearing your glasses!"

"Contact lenses," Keria explained. "Or just one lens, I should say. But that's a minor detail."

"My name is Hope," the pink haired trainer said, holding up a hand.

"I'm Cascata, and this is my Squirtle, Wade," Cascata said, shaking it.

"And my name is Flip," Flip said, walking in behind Cascata, "and these are my Pokémon, Dratini and Hazard." Dratini was perched on his shoulders as always, and Hazard was beside him looking good as new.

"Are these two both new friends of yours, Keria?" Hope asked, bending down and inviting the Pichu over to have his ear scratched. Hazard ran over eagerly, letting out a small squeak of joy.

"I guess so," Keria responded, looking at the two trainers. "They're both just starting as trainers, but they've got amazing potential. Using low-level, unevolved Pokémon, they somehow managed to finish off that thief's Charizard...though I had weakened it quite a bit first. But, still!"

"That is quite remarkable," Hope said, letting the Pichu jump into her lap. "The Charizard was at a very high level, I believe. A challenge even for trainers who have been training Pokémon as long as you or I have. I'm impressed they were even able to scratch it."

"I'm impressed my Pichu hasn't shocked you yet," Flip said, backing away nervously. "I'd be careful with him if I were you..."

"Don't worry," Keria said. "Hope has something about her Pokémon seem to really like. Sometimes when we were little kids, large and powerful Pokémon would come up to her and start acting friendly and playful..."

"Have you ever had your face licked by a Mightyena?" Hope asked, giggling a bit.

"I remember that!" Keria exclaimed, starting to giggle as well. "My mom was so scared that it was going...to..." She stopped in the middle of her sentence as a look of shock spread over my face.

"Is something wrong, Keria?" Cascata asked.

"My mom!" Keria yelled, jumping up and dropping her ice pack. "Officer Jenny called my parents and told them I committed those robberies, remember?! I need to go make a call right away!" She ran straight between Flip and Cascata, nearly knocking them over, and into the Pokécenter lobby.

"That's not good..." Hope sighed. "Keria's parents have always viewed her...well...highly. They're probably very upset about hearing something like this..." She stood up while holding the Pichu and began following her friend. "But I'm curious to see how this will turn out. You know, see how much damage has been done already and how much can be reversed. Come on, she'll probably need our moral support anyway."

The three walked into the lobby to see Keria sitting at one of the videophones, waiting nervously for someone to pick up on the other end. The screen had a small picture of a ringing phone for a few moments before it flickered and showed an image of a woman with purple hair down to her chin and glasses. Her face was flushed as if she had been crying. "Hello, who is...KERIA!" she shouted into the phone, her eyes flying open in anger.

"Hi, mom..." Keria started, already starting to sweat. "Listen, you probably got a call earlier saying-"

"That you've become a good-for-nothing criminal?! This is inexcusable, Keria!" the woman screamed, obviously boiling with rage. "We didn't spend ten years raising you just so you could do this! You had a good home, a good life, a good family...where did we go wrong, Keria?!"

"Listen, mom!" Keria managed to say. "There's been a huge misunderstanding! That's all!"

"No, I think I understand perfectly well! You're still worked up over your loss at the Pewter City gym, aren't you?! I told you I was always here to talk if you needed me! But no! I haven't even heard from you in two years! And now this!" Keria's mother shouted.

"Mom! Calm down!" Keria pleaded. "Calm down. There was a very large misunderstanding. The thief just happened to look a lot like me. It's all kind of complicated..."

The woman settled down a bit, but she still looked extremely upset. "And how do I know you're not lying to me right now? If you're a criminal, then lying to your own mother wouldn't be out of the question, would it?"

Keria sighed. "If I had robbed the Pokécenter, then why would I be calling from it and not the jail cell I was locked in not too long ago?"

The woman stopped suddenly, very surprised. She said nothing but made a gesture with her hand for Keria to move to one side. The girl did such, and her mother now had a full view of the Pokécenter lobby behind her, including the Nurse Joy with her arm wrapped in a tight bandage handing Cascata back her Pidgey. Keria's mother let out a sigh of relief. "Thank goodness! I wouldn't know what I would have done if my baby had really turned to a life of crime..."

"Come on, mom, you know me better than that," Keria said, smiling. "I suppose dad's upset, too?"

"Absolutely!" her mother replied. "He'll be so relieved to hear this. I'm so happy to finally hear from you! Why haven't you called in so long?"

The trainer laughed. "Well, actually, a Snorlax ate my cellphone, and I never got around to buying a new one...didn't I tell you this a long time ago?"

"What?" the woman responded, looking a bit confused. "I don't remember...oh! Wow, you did tell me, didn't you? It's been so long, I completely forgot...Keria, you have to come home soon! You look like you've grown so much..."

"Oh, of course, mom! Hang on a second..." she said, turning around to look at her friends. "Could you go away now that you've seen my mother yell at me? I've been embarrassed enough, and I have the feeling-"

"Oh, Hope, it's been a long time! How are you?" Keria's mother said, noting the girl standing on the edge of the screen.

"I'm fine, thank you," the girl replied in a polite tone. "Please tell my parents I said hello."

"Of course, of course. And who's that boy?" the woman asked, looking at Flip. "He's cute. Is he your boyfriend, Keria?"

"M-mom!" Keria responded, turning around quickly. "Of course not! Why do you always have to embarrass me like this?!"

Hope laughed. "I think this is our cue to exit," she said to Flip as they started walking away.

Cascata was talking with Nurse Joy at the desk. "You can take your Squirtle's bandages off tomorrow," the nurse said, smiling as always.

"Thank you very much, Nurse Joy," Cascata replied, returning both of her Pokémon to their Pokéballs.

"How's the Charizard?" Flip asked, approaching the counter as well.

Nurse Joy handed the Ultra Ball back to him. "Healed and not breaking out, whichever you meant. What do you plan to do with it?"

"Well, we talked it over with Keria, and she said she would lead us to her older sister who she says can return it to its normal self...after that, I don't know. It's much too strong for me to keep. I guess I'll wait until then to figure out what I should do," Flip said, staring at the Pokéball.

"Have a good time traveling with Keria," Hope said. "From what I've heard, she's become a very strong trainer just as everyone predicted she would. However, she can be very moody sometimes, and she tends to be very unlucky. So this little journey with her could be more of a trip than you know."

"Sounds like it'll be lots of fun," Flip sighed, looking back at Keria.

"Dad, I don't care what mom told you!" Keria shouted. "That boy is not my boyfriend, and I have no intention of making him such!"

~*~

The rain, to make up for dampening the light and colors of the world below the day before, had left a glistening effect on everything that seemed to bring them out more than usual. Sunlight was able to reflect off the remaining drops of water and dew almost completely unopposed by clouds. It was a gorgeous day, the best possible one could expect after such a storm.

"So, we're off to Cerulean City?" Keria asked, following behind Cascata and Flip as the three of them started on the trail heading to Mount Moon, Dratini coiled on Flip's shoulders as always.

"That's the idea. Flip and I both want to visit the gym and earn a badge!" Cascata spoke merrily.

"Oh, really? So Pewter lost their gym leader, and Cerulean found one? That's interesting," Keria said, looking off to the side and admiring the scenery.

"What?" Cascata said, looking surprised. "You didn't hear about that?"

"Actually, I didn't about that, either," Flip said. "Who is the gym leader?"

Cascata sighed. "Am I the only one here who keeps up with current events? Anyway, the leader's name is David. I've heard he's a real cute guy, too. I can't wait to meet him!"

Keria and Flip both stopped. "Did you say...David?" Flip asked.

"That's right," she said, stopping as well and turning around. "Is something wrong?"

"Not really. Just another funny coincidence, I guess...I doubt it's the same David," Flip said, starting to walk again.

"Yes, David is a rather common name, I'd say," Keria laughed, continuing her stride as well. "I know more than I want to, actually..."

"Hey! Wait! Excuse me, would you wait just a minute?" a voice called after them. It sounded like Officer Jenny, so the group stopped and turned around. The woman was running after them.

"What is it now?" Keria sighed. "I'm not going to be arrested again, am I?"

"No, not at all!" Jenny replied, finally catching up with them. "Again, I'm very sorry about the misunderstanding. However, you were extremely helpful in cornering the thief and recovering the stolen goods. You showed a great amount of skill as a Pokémon trainer. It is because of this that I ask on behalf of Pewter City for you to be our new gym leader!"

The trainer looked surprised. "I...well...but..." She shook her head. "You're joking, right? Is Pewter City really that desperate?"

Officer Jenny looked offended. "Desperate? The whole city is praising you and your two friends as heroes! We would be honored to have you as our gym leader, not to mention our representative in the Pokémon League! I realize you need to help these trainers take care of that Charizard, but that shouldn't take too long and you could come back after-"

"I'm terribly flattered, really," Keria said, looking away. "However, I have never felt the desire to be a gym leader, and even if I did...well...there are personal reasons..."

The officer was confused. "Personal reasons? Like what?"

Keria began walking away. "Have you forgotten so quickly? It was in this very city, in that very gym, that the world's respect of me vanished and I lost millions of fans...and you want to take the place of the one who defeated me before I have proven I am the better Pokémon trainer? Come on, Flip, Cascata. Mount Moon awaits."

"Well, if that's how you feel about it..." Jenny said. "Oh! One more thing. Your friend Hope managed to learn some important information about that thief!"

The girl stopped and turned around again. "Oh, yes, I never did let her tell me that. Well, what is it?"

"Her name is Smilia. She's not an independent criminal...Hope overheard her talking on the phone with the head of some larger organization. Apparently she called the person on the other end 'Master'. We think it must be something like Team Rocket..." Officer Jenny said.

"Smilia...that's an odd name," Keria said, and noticed Flip and Cascata were giving her a strange look. "What? Oh, and I suppose 'Flip' and 'Cascata' are that much more normal than 'Keria'!"

"Whatever," Cascata sighed, shaking her head. "Goodbye, Officer Jenny! Good luck finding a new gym leader!"

"Yeah, and be prepared to see us again when you do! I can't wait for a chance to get that badge!" Flip said.

"See you all then, I guess!" Officer Jenny said, waving. "You're welcome in our city any time!"

"I'll do my best to find more information about Smilia...until then, goodbye!" Keria called.

And so the three continued walking on the path towards Mount Moon that so many other trainers great and small had treaded. Dratini dropped off Flip's shoulders and began slithering beside them and bobbing its head left and right cheerfully. At some point it began singing a song in its squeaky dragon voice and all three of them found their steps falling into perfect time with it. The walk was silent until Cascata broke it with a question.

"Keria, how did you know Smilia was going to be in the gym, anyway?"

Keria paused a moment before answering, "Magic."

"No, really, how did you know?"

"I just said. Magic."

"Oh, come on, I'm not going to believe that like some little kid! Tell me!"

"Okay. I had looked around inside the gym right before you arrived and saw the bag of Pokéballs. It wasn't until later, though, that I figured out that they were the stolen ones. How else do you think I knew the gym leader wasn't there?"

"Oh, really!"

"No, of course not. It was magic."

"That's not funny!"

Flip just shook his head and sighed.

Please note: The thread is from 20 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom