• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Give the player a love interest!

As cute or funny as it could be I couldn't really see it

Well even if the player did have a love interest the only thing I'd see would be Bianca and Cheren dating in the future. Black would go solo and White would probably date N if he ever comes back to Unova

[well if you mainly believe in straight boy and girl love]

can i just ask, wouldn't the lady outside the ferris wheel in nimbasa city kinda count as a love interest, if not isn't that enough anyway?

love interest? not likely for a pokemon game :B

you know what...let's just give it a 'social link' gameplay !

oh, wait....this isn't persona

As long as it doesn't affect the PC much, as in he/she isn't in the relationship. It would add to more annoyance to getting all the badges. And it'd be weird having a ten year old fall in love. :|

i believe no, not to the player, because of all the Sexuality issues said above.

but i'd like it if it was between NPC's, but with actual relevance to their characters

like: yeah, she's my girlfriend...
i'll go sleep now...

it has to affect their characterization in some way...

Consider this for the farthest extent of it: WARNING. Long and rambly.
The first or second gym leader's gender is based on who you picked: Male if you're a female and female if you're a male. When you get to that gym, they could be like, "You look like quite the trainer. Let's have a battle and see you you fare on the field." And when you win, something like, "I was right, you've got skills as a Pokemon trainer. Here's your badge, you've earned it." Then the cutscene makes you leave while the leader says in private, "Hmm... My heart's beating a bit faster than usual. I've seen a lot of trainers, but this one seems special." Then later on in the story they're out exploring a forest or something, they see you and have a chat. It's the same stuff as earlier. Then even later in the story, there's a life/death situation and they save you, then leave awkwardly as soon as they see you're alright. Maybe later the story bring you to the town you met, they see you and ask something like, "Hey, it's been a while, what brings you here?" or something of the like. They can show you something in a 'special' place, however you want to describe that is up to you guys, but the 'evil team' interrups: "What's this we have? <The gym leader's name> and his/her girlfriend/boyfriend, <player's name> on a date?" And the gym leader gets all blushy but pissed off at the same time. Double battle, you and him/her against the 'evil team' of that generation. After winning, it could be, "Your bonds with your Pokemon have definitely gotten stronger since you battled me at the gym..." then he/she can say something a bit awkward, realize what they said and run off. Maybe in the post-ending, something brings you there again, they see you, maybe blush, and walk off. It's totally one-way though. Even if you're not straight, you can just ignore it. If you DO like him/her, it's not like you can do anything about it. (Muahaha, make them feel like I do with N--I mean, just to make sure you're not forced into a relationship you don't want to be in... Heheh...)

I wouldn't like to see explicitly stated that the player has a love interest, because it wouldn't affect the plot or do so, but negatively. All the canon would be scrambled up in regards to the interpretation of the player characters.

Plus, I like to decipher and discuss all the innuendos or subtle references given by NPCs, especially those in Gen IV and V. That's the fun of it, and I like to see other people doing so, too. :naughty:

Love interest? I think it depends on the execution. If they do it in a subtle manner, then I think that would be fine, maybe even cute. As long as the PC isn't actively trying to catch the eye of his love interest Sims-style, I think it would be okay.

Still not preferred, IMO, but acceptable. I really don't them to waste development work on something as inconsequential as this.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom