• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Greatest Speeches of all time.

Lyrebird

Goddess
Reaction score
When we think of speeches that capture the imagination of the world or cause a new wave of thinking or whatever, we think of the ones that resonate with us. That of 'I have a dream' by Martin Luther King Jr. or Winston Churchill's 'We Shall Fight on the beaches'. Naturally it was tough to hear speeches pre-radio era or just into the radio era but with the introduction of television we were able to see speeches from not only our nation but others around the world.

So excluding the two I listed above, in your opinion where were the greatest speeches over all time by a politician and why?

- Be respectful to each others opinions.
- Do not attack a user directly or personally insult them.
This will count as a warning.

I'll post my other selections later.

When we think of speeches that capture the imagination of the world or cause a new wave of thinking or whatever, we think of the ones that resonate with us. That of 'I have a dream' by Martin Luther King Jr. or Winston Churchill's 'We Shall Fight on the beaches'. Naturally it was tough to hear speeches pre-radio era or just into the radio era but with the introduction of television we were able to see speeches from not only our nation but others around the world.

So excluding the two I listed above, in your opinion where were the greatest speeches over all time by a politician and why?

- Be respectful to each others opinions.
- Do not attack a user directly or personally insult them.
This will count as a warning.

I'll post my other selections later.

I pick 3 the Cross of Gold speech was delivered by William Jennings Bryan, a former United States Representative from Nebraska, at the Democratic National Convention in Chicago on July 9, 1896,
2. President Dwight D. Eisenhower's exit speech on Jan.17,1961 warning us about the MILITARY INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX and
3 JFK's "We choose to go to the moon" speech, which was delivered in front of a large crowd gathered at Rice University in Houston, Texas on September 12, 1962.

Considering you stole Churchill's speech from me before this even started... (As soon as I saw the thread topic that was the first one that came to mind), my next choice would probably be:

FDR's Four Freedoms Speech - State of the Union Address (January 6th, 1941)

Pressing for greater involvement in WWII, President Roosevelt stressed Britain's need for support (at this point in the war they stared down the Axis powers basically alone) as well as the gravity of the situation of the American people. And by helping the Allies with the war effort, they were protecting the freedoms which Americans hold dear.

FDR's Day of Infamy Speech (December 8th, 1941) - The United States enters WWII. I don't really need to say much, but I think that these two speeches tie closely together so I didn't want to pick just one.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom