• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How do spinning tails like Buizel's and Floatzel's work, anatomically speaking?

Red Knight

Saeve certando pugnandoque, splendor crescit
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. She/Her
  2. It/Its
  3. Any
So I was looking at Buizel, and that got me wondering...

How does this work?

buizel w arrow.png
1715567778669.png

Like, how is it physically possible for them to move their tails like they do? What is going on with their skeletal, muscular, nervous, circulatory, lymphatic, etc. systems to allow this to happen without damaging the body?

The skeletal system part is fairly simple, I think; it's not too hard to imagine some kind of weird ball-and-socket joint or something similar that allows the tails to spin around. (Most mammals with tails have their spines extend into them, so having some kind of bizarre spinning joint that also splits the spine into two smaller spines is a bit weird, but not unreasonable.)

The problem is literally everything else. If the tails contain an extension of the spine, how does the spinal cord not get horribly mangled? How do the blood and lymph vessels at that connection not rip themselves apart? How do the muscles move to create that constant rotation?

I can kind of come up with something for the circulatory and lymphatic systems: instead of blood and lymph vessels going directly from the body to the tails, the base of the rotating part of the tails might contain a small hemocoel (maybe two, one arterial and one venous) and lymphocoel, arranged concentrically, so that blood and lymph can freely go between the tails and the rest of the body without having to have blood vessels that can magically stay stationary in the body while rotating with the tails. A bit questionable, perhaps, but workable.

I have a vague idea for the nervous system: the spinal cord could right around the axis of rotation, and the hollows in the vertebrae that accommodate the spinal cord are designed such that they will not twist or get caught on the nerves they are supposed to protect. However, if the part that is at the base of the rotation is static, how do the nerves not get horribly twisted once the tails actually split off and start moving? (I'm not sure if I'm making sense here.) Maybe there's some kind of quirk of these nerves' structures that allows them to function? I don't know enough about how exactly nerves function to know how that would work.

For muscles, I'm completely lost. I don't know enough about how muscles work to try to come up with a way for a set of muscles that can create a continuous rapid rotation.

I know I'm talking about a funny magical creature from the funny magical creature game/show/whatever, but I have way too much fun overanalyzing and applying a degree of realism to them, so here we are.

Last edited:
Not quite. I'm not sure whether you're referring to the actual wrist or the forearms. For the wrists, that's not rotating around a central axis, that's rotating within a joint. While that's good for precision control, I highly doubt that could generate anywhere near enough power to create significant propulsion. (Also, slightly tangential, but this made me think of the spine suddenly having a series of carpal-like bones right at the base of the tail, which is weirdly amusing to me.) And for the forearms, those muscles only need to extend so far because the range of motion is not continuous. If you tried to apply that to a part of the body that is constantly rotating about a central axis like what we have here, you would end up with very twisted muscles.

I'm not sure if this explanation will make sense, but the best I can imagine for how that might work with the muscular system is essentially that the tail (the rotating part) has a series of tiny bony protrusions all along the base, which a ring of muscles grips onto as they rotate the tail around like the inside of a washing machine. Or perhaps the bony protrusions would be on the outside, likely on the pelvis, and the gripping spinning muscles are in the rotating part of the tail, making the tail spin like some kind of bizarre hamster wheel. The second option makes more sense just considering the musculoskeletal system, but the first option would probably be easier for the nervous system to work with, since the part that's doing the work is in the more static part of the body where there isn't an interface from static to rotating parts of the nerve cord. (Then again, that would depend on how the nervous system works.)

Back
Top Bottom