• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How do you represent Pokémon speech?

How do you do it?

• Total voters
I use a combination of the name and sound method. Although I haven't really used many sounds in Stainless Steel yet.

... Am I the only one here who uses the "Speech Method" exclusively? Granted, Ri2 (of Latias' Journey fame) does the same too.

Granted, I assume this is for regular Pokémon canon, NOT PMD.

... Am I the only one here who uses the "Speech Method" exclusively? Granted, Ri2 (of Latias' Journey fame) does the same too.

I use the Speech Method exclusively when it's just Rachel. Because she can understand what all Pokémon are saying. But that's about it.

I use it with limitations- if two given pokémon are intelligent and of the same type in the past, present, or future, they can speak. I obviously wouldn't write banter in the battles because Cyrus can't speak pokémon. If the point of view is humans who don't speak pokémon, they don't hear the pokémon (unlike Latias' Journey), and I am yet to explain why the PM and Fred can speak different languages that only animals speak in. In general, though, Sneasel, Absol, and Larvitar would be unable to understand a Gyarados or Magnemite.

In the Knight Pokémon University RPG, I have Colin Sonan and Joanie Aimes's Pokémon say their Japanese names (except Joanie's Bellsprout, which only speaks human language). Regardless, Colin is able to understand Pokémon language as though it were English and, combined with a complete aversion of So What Are You Saying, this often results in half of a conversation.

A YouTube adaptation of Knight Pokémon University is in the works. Should it ever make it past the planning stage, the Pokémon will use their in-game cries, except for a select few which are capable of human speech (such as the aforementioned Bellsprout, Jim Gai's Alakazam and Lauren Hunter's Gardevoir). Subtitles may be employed if necessary.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom