• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Iran enter new nuclear phase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fig

Reaction score
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6538957.stm

Iran 'enters new nuclear phase'
Natanz, Iran

Iran can now produce nuclear fuel on an industrial scale, President Ahmadinejad has announced, in a move likely to further strain tensions with the West

He gave no details of Iran's capacity, but some officials said 3,000 uranium gas enrichment centrifuges were running at the Natanz plant in central Iran.

Mr Ahmadinejad's speech came as Iran celebrated nuclear technology day.

Iran maintains its nuclear programme is purely peaceful, but the West fears it wants to build atomic bombs.

The UN has passed two packages of sanctions against Iran for refusing to suspend its uranium enrichment programme.

A US spokesman said the White House was "very concerned" about the Iranian announcement.

"Iran continues to defy the international community and further isolate itself by expanding its nuclear programme, rather than suspending uranium enrichment," said Gordon Johndroe, spokesman for the White House National Security Council.

UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon urged Iran to follow the Security Council resolution.

"I sincerely hope that, even at this time, when the Iranian government is undergoing Security Council sanctions, that they should engage in dialogue.... It is very important for any member country to fully comply with the Security Council resolution," he told reporters.

An EU spokesman renewed calls for Iran to suspend uranium enrichment, AFP news agency reported.

"This does nothing to change our position - Iran must co-operate fully with the IAEA and follow the United Nations resolutions," said Ton Van Lierop, a spokesman for the European Commission.

NPT warning

"With great honour, I declare that as of today our dear country has joined the nuclear club of nations and can produce nuclear fuel on an industrial scale," Mr Ahmadinejad told the audience at Natanz.

He did not say how many centrifuges - the machines that spin uranium gas in order to enrich it to levels needed for fuel - were now operational at Natanz.

Iran announced in February that it had set up two cascades of 164 centrifuges each at Natanz. It said it planned to have 3,000 centrifuges by the end of last month.

Ali Larijani, Iran's chief nuclear negotiator with the West, said at Natanz on Monday that Iran had begun injecting gas into many of the centrifuges, without specifying the number.

Some other officials said 3,000 centrifuges had been installed, the BBC's Frances Harrison at Natanz reports.

The most sensitive areas at Natanz, deep underground, are thought to be halls that can hold up to 50,000 centrifuges.

Mr Larijani also warned that Iran would have no choice but to review its membership of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty if further pressure was applied by the West over its nuclear programme.

Journalists and diplomats were invited to the event at Natanz, but EU diplomats boycotted them in protest at Iran's refusal to comply with UN demands to end its uranium enrichment programme.

A year ago, Iran announced that it had produced enriched uranium for the first time. It said it had enriched only to 3.5% - the level needed for nuclear fuel but way below that needed to make a nuclear bomb.

(Note that this is not the debate forum.)

The US reaction is not far behind, and hardly unexpected.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6540083.stm

Frankly, at this point, I'm not sure either nation can realistically back down.

At least not without looking stupid.

I don't think that a war between the US and Iran is too far off now. I hope that everyone in both governments think before they act...

Yay! Cold War II. Now we can look forward to silly Iranian caricatures in every American-made product.

But, honestly, I'm starting to doubt everything the Iranians say. After that whole "cure for AIDS" thing...it's hard to take them seriously. They could just be following North Korea's lead and saying they'll develop them so the US won't invade.

I don't think the cure for aid was Iran, was it?

A war with Iran, just what we needed.

Where have you been for the last 3 years? The only reason Bush hasn't marched into Iran yet is because of Iraq causing a minor inconvenience of killing a couple of Americans every day. It was inevitable years ago and it's even more inevitable now.

Chances are, Bush'll start the war the summer before he buggers off - he wont give a damn, it's not as if he can or can't be re-elected this time anyway, just so long as he gets his war and his mates can get the profits.

We still have at least a decade they can create anything that could actually threaten us with. But yeah, the posturing as reached a point one nation can't back off without looking like they were out done by the other.

I think it's time we stop getting all upset when countries act like toddlers saying "Look, Mommy! Me a grown-up too!" I say, pat them on the back and welcome them into the club. Not because we like what they're doing, but to prevent them from getting the reaction they want, which is us freaking out. These countries are not stupid -- they know that if any president with the right gall is available, their country can easily be wasted after a few hundred nukes land on their front lawn. So this is all male posturing and should be treated as such.

I agree with Jessie. Fear is what this creep gets off on. We can't let him do that.

I think it's time we stop getting all upset when countries act like toddlers saying "Look, Mommy! Me a grown-up too!" I say, pat them on the back and welcome them into the club. Not because we like what they're doing, but to prevent them from getting the reaction they want, which is us freaking out. These countries are not stupid -- they know that if any president with the right gall is available, their country can easily be wasted after a few hundred nukes land on their front lawn. So this is all male posturing and should be treated as such.

Well,

1. Some counties actually want that to happen to the whole world, so being nuked doesn't bother them.

2. If any of the Democratic frontrunners get into office, we don't have a president with the right gall. We got someone who would try to reason with people who want to kill us.

Hmmmmmm, so Iran wants to start trouble with us now. If only Bush was a true conservative, we probably wouldn't be in this mess right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom