• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Just Another Sandstorm Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sable

Reaction score
This is the team I may be preparing, though I am quite unused to things like EV's and IV's, but with time, I'm sure I'll learn. Take note; that I've tried to read things on Serebii about it as well as on Bulbapedia however, I just can't seem to grasp the subject efficiently; possibly because I don't see the gains in-game. (aside from level up which is far too late in my opinion.) Typically speaking, I'm all about flexibility within a theme. I chose a weather team early on, and Sandstorm seems to be pretty efficient. These are listed in no specific order. Since I am not knowledgeable in EV's, I'll merely state whether or not it's a wall or a sweeper, and what kind they are. From my very basic knowledge, I understand that every 4 EV's attributes to 1 stat point and that every pokemon gives different amounts of different EV's. When you level, you gain these stat points. (I've gotten as high as 9 stat points in one level, thanks to macho brace, correctly gained EV's and correct nature) All that being said, I really don't know much about what can and can't be used in UU OU and Uber. I don't really get it, but I just battle my friends in friendly matches with the general 'no legendaries' rule... so, yeah.

Scizor
Phyisical Sweeper
Technician - Adamant Nature - Red Card
Bullet Punch/Roost-U-turn/Pursuit/Bug Bite

My understanding of Scizor literally just changed as I was making this team over. Originally, I had Scizor as basically a Sandstorm Absol which meant he exploited all his critical hit moves with Razor Claw. The great thing was that Scizor had various different types of 'Slash' but, I digress. Scizor is more efficient and deadly as a Technician. One thing I wonder though, could I abuse the technician ability to give him a defensive edge in EV points. So basically, while I would still go for primarily Attack, would it be acceptable within it's build to bulk it up a bit? Much of it is the standard set-up but, depending on the feedback on his EV status, I may either add Roost (if the defense ev's can be boosted or U-turn if they cannot.)

Krookadile
Physical Sweeper/Sanstorm/Anti-Phys
Moxie - Jolly Nature - Red Card
Sand-storm/Earthquake/Foul Play/Rock Smash

Krookadile, my new T-tar. T-tar I'm not quite sure why I have forsaken you. Perhaps because I favor new and unexpected portions to my party. In the main game, I fell in love with my Krookadile, who swept whole teams from the beginning of the game to the end. Thanks to a fortuitous nature and the ever-grand Moxie ability. Maybe it's just the ever present effort of getting Tyrannitar and leveling him. For whatever reason, Krookadile has snuck his self into my party as a back-up. It is versatile, using Krookadiles great attack power but, boasting on speed to get in that sandstorm (if it's been dispelled) or Foul Play. If he gets in one or the other, that's great but, should he survive he has Earthquake STAB and Rock Smash for any Ice or Rock Types that might come my way, but mostly the Ice.

Empoleon
Weakness Coverage/Special Wall/Stealth Rock
Torrent - Calm Nature - Red Card
Ice Beam/Surf/Stealth Rock/Grass Knot

Empoleon is one of my favorite starters and admittingly, I didn't like it until I got used to it. It took me a short while after I devised my original Sandstorm team to realize that Empoleon had a niche to fill in my team. With it's unique Water/Steel typing, the emperor pokemon is perfectly suited to defend against the weaknesses of my team. Primarily Rapid Spin Starmie and Grass Types in general. It's resistences cover a lot of ground (haha), not unlike Scizor and for that; I welcome Empoleon to my team heartily.

Quagsire
Trolling/Switching into Water/Phys Wall
Water Absorb - Impish Nature - Leftovers
Ice Punch/Toxic/Earthquake/Encore

Quagsire really is my favorite pokemon out of the entire team. Why? I love to troll my friends. If anyone is aware of Kuriboh and Kuribon from Yugioh, I made a deck from those consisting of them as the primary monsters in combination with --- you know what, if you want to know, do ask me. I love to brag about that deck. Any who, I love how dopey Quagsire looks and I'll almost exclusively save him for last... that is... unless I think your going to use a water type move. Then I will have no qualms about switching into him and using encore right away. From there I'll set up Toxic and let the games begin. Quagsires only real danger is the Grass type, and I don' usually see too many of those. A good old fashioned Ice Punch should take care of it, and any rock and flying types that come my way. I just wish he could set up Stealth Rock. ;_;

Lucario
Disarray/Special Sweeper
Stead Fast - Timid Nature - Red Card
Aura Sphere/Psychic/Shadow Ball/Dragon Pulse

Lucario is a great pokemon for confusing your opponent. It makes it difficult to choose which pokemon your enemy should switch into, a physical wall or a special one. For this reason, it may panic the opponent enough to make hasty decisions later on. Or maybe Im reading too much into it. I chose a special sweeper, since it's larger physical move pool may make the physical wall more likely to counter him. Dragon Pulse, Shadow Ball, Psychic, Aura Sphere. Beyond Sandstorm immunity, not a lot of thought is going on here. Just raw power... as a fighting type, I'm only saddened that I can't say his stats could be "OVER 9000!!!". But I'll get over it, after all "Th-That's Impossible!"

Hippowadon
Physical wall/Support/First-Out
Sand-Stream (duh) - Impish - Leftovers
Stealth Rock/Slack Off/Ice Fang/Roar

Hippowdon is my last pokemon to describe but my first pokemon out. He sets up Sandstorm AND Stealth Rock for me. He has slack off for health and Leftovers to give a little extra boost. Ice Fang to fend off those nasty water/ground/rock whathaveyou and finally, I forsook Earthquake for Roar to see how that would go.

So there you have it. :p

Some other additions I think might do well on this team were Gliscor, Swampert, and a few others... but so far, I like this set up.

Last edited:
Not much time right now to do a thorough rate, but I'll do what I can quickly.

The obvious weakness to Fighting-type attacks jumps out at me first, with you having 3 Pokémon weak to attacks of that type with no resistances or immunities. As you said, Gliscor would do well on this team, being able to take Fighting-type attacks well, and because of being a good Pokémon in general. Second of all, your use of the Red Card item - you've given it to 4 Pokémon that could benefit greatly from other items. The Pokémon you've given the item to aren't exactly bulky, either - if your plan was to be able to force their counters out of play, then they would probably be OHKO'd anyway. Standard sets for these Pokémon usually have Scizor with a Choice Band or Leftovers, Krookodile with a Choice Scarf, Empoleon with Leftovers and Lucario with a Life Orb

It also looks like you've made the mistake of thinking that every Pokémon on a Sandstorm team must be immune to the effects of said weather, which is not true - Pokémon such as Rotom-W and Blissey are commonly seen on Sandstorm teams due to their usefulness and general synergy with the rest of the team.

If you are sure you want to keep using these exact Pokémon, though, you should take a look at their Smogon pages, and use the standard sets for them instead of the ones you're using now - they will be helpful.

I'm going to close this thread for now. Your team does not follow the standards posted here: http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f521/battle-strategy-tactics-rules-rmt-format-%5Bplease-read%5D-104547/

If you decide to make the appropriate edits to this team, please send me or any other Battle Center staff member a Private Message and your thread will be reopened. In the mean time, check out some of the resources that Smogon has to offer for competitive battlers. You may find this article helpful: Introduction To Competitive Pokemon (D/P) - Smogon University

It also looks like you've made the mistake of thinking that every Pokémon on a Sandstorm team must be immune to the effects of said weather, which is not true - Pokémon such as Rotom-W and Blissey are commonly seen on Sandstorm teams due to their usefulness and general synergy with the rest of the team.

If you are sure you want to keep using these exact Pokémon, though, you should take a look at their Smogon pages, and use the standard sets for them instead of the ones you're using now - they will be helpful.

@Sable This is good advice for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom