• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon genders

Should we include Pokémon genders in Bulbapedia entries?

• Yes, use Pokeani's listings

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Yes, but come up with decisions on our own by consensus

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Yes, but only on Pokémon that are obviously of a specific gender

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • No

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters

Argy

∠(>w<) #634
Reaction score
What does everyone think about changing "it" in some prominent Pokémon entries to "he" or "she"? There are some Pokémon that are obviously male/female, so why don't we make our entries reflect that? We don't call Meowth "it" for the sake of being politically correct. Perhaps for the more ambiguous or disputed ones, we could keep "it," but some, like Brock's Ludicolo, Ash's Charizard, and Ash's Bayleef are decidedly of a specific, well-known gender.

Pokeani puts their gender speculation in each Pokémon's bio.

It seems like it's a fairly good guess that 90% of a trainer's Pokémon are the same gender as the trainer...... well, perhaps for the male characters.

Anyway. I think we should come to our own consensus about each character.

Pokeani is a fansite. Its speculations should not be treated as fact.

Gendered pronouns should only be used for Pokemon that are conclusively of one gender or not, such as Meowth and the Pokemon from PiPiPi Adventure.

Ketsuban said:
Gendered pronouns should only be used for Pokemon that are conclusively of one gender or not, such as Meowth.
Agreed.

Decisions by our own consensus sounds good. Of course, we can still use Pokeani to help come to that consensus.

:\ I really don't see the point in assigning gender pronouns to the pokemon in an informational site. Especially if it's not 100% confirmed. I mean, it's a good idea with Meowth, who is most definately male, or for pokemon that are specifically one gender (Hitmons, Miltank, etc). Speculation for speculation's sake isn't that bad, though, just don't act like it's *not* speculation.

I don't mind whatever gender is given to whatever Pokemon. Whether addresing May's Bulbasaur, for example, as he or she is fine by me =P.

Please note: The thread is from 19 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom