• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Platinum wins Famitsu award: Awarded "Best Game for All Ages"

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
Pokémon Platinum wins Famitsu award: Awarded "Best Game for All Ages"

The 2008 Famitsu Awards results have been released, and Pokémon Platinum won the award for "Best Game for All Ages". No other Pokémon series games won any awards.

Read more on Bulbanews

Well then this is something. It seems Pokemon is gaining a rapid increase in popularity.

Considering just how popular Platinum is, I'm not surprised it's winning awards.

Cool. Might show it will be around for a long while yet before sales start to slowly get stangnent ofr this pokemon game.

Shinx3000 said:
Might show it will be around for a long while yet before sales start to slowly get stangnent ofr this pokemon game.
Not really. In Japan, the game sold quite well very fast, which effectively means that it is already approaching stagnancy. See for yourself.

If this trend continues, the Pokémon Company and its affiliated comapnies won't have much of a reason to advertise Platinum next year.

Not really. In Japan, the game sold quite well very fast, which effectively means that it is already approaching stagnancy. See for yourself.

If this trend continues, the Pokémon Company and its affiliated comapnies won't have much of a reason to advertise Platinum next year.

You really don't have anything positive to say about Platinum, do you?

Considering it's very possible GSDS is this 'big project' GameFreak is apparently working on for Fall 2010, you'd best get used to hearing about Platinum.

Misread it "Best Game of All Ages". That would be a bit too much, eh? But this is great anyway, can't wait until the game comes to Europe.

Considering it's very possible GSDS is this 'big project' GameFreak is apparently working on for Fall 2010, you'd best get used to hearing about Platinum.

This is probably why if Game Freak are planning a GS remake, there has been no information about it yet, because of Platinum. Or it could be another reason.

Given that since a possibility of GS remake might actually happen, it seems that Unown Lord has been shunning Platinum more or less in favour of a remake that there is no information about even happening yet. I still like the game a lot, might do well in UK and Europe, only time will tell.

Does platinum have the most features of any of the pokemon games? My one favourite thing was the regenerating legendaries, thank goodness the days are gone when you defeated a legendary and not got it back. Hope that remains in all future games.

Last edited:
Well, this is good news. Just curious, how important is the Famitsu award?

Noting that Platinum "sold quite well very fast" is a bad thing? The only drawback from the fact that sales are stagnant is that some other game will soon be needed to avoid a period of hardly any income - Platinum may have generated its fair share, but it bore the bulk of its fruit by the end of 2008. It would be futile to continue to focus on the game come 2010, especially since the previous third games (whose sales were slower, thereby prolonging their marketing) didn't receive that sort of long-term attention, either.

Considering it's very possible GSDS is this 'big project' GameFreak is apparently working on for Fall 2010,
Make that Fall 2009 and we have ourselves a working theory. There was a reason Junichi Masuda didn't take part in Platinum's development.

Last edited:
Make that Fall 2009 and we have ourselves a working theory. There was a reason Junichi Masuda didn't take part in Platinum's development.

I thought Mitchman Is said he did not work on Platinum but he said that was a mistake cause he did. If he did not work on Platinum, why was he in an interview about it then?

Noting that Platinum "sold quite well very fast" is a bad thing? The fact that sales are stagnant only means that some other game is needed to avoid a period of hardly any income - Platinum may have generated its fair share, but it bore the bulk of its fruit by the end of 2008. It would be futile to continue to focus on the game come 2010, especially since the previous third games (whose sales were slower, thereby prolonging their marketing) didn't receive that sort of long-term attention, either.

With this award, I can see a few more people who did not get platinum, will want to get it now, granted that won't last forever, but long enough. And yeah, 2010 is a bit late between a game like this and another one, be int a remake or otherwise

I thought Mitchman Is said he did not work on Platinum but he said that was a mistake cause he did.
He was right the first time and got it wrong later due to misinformation. Even though Masuda is very much the general director of Game Freak, he only appears in Platinum's credits under "Pokémon Composition" and "Plot Scenario" because of his previous work on Diamond and Pearl (where he actually directed the games), and only as one of several individuals at that. Otherwise, he appears under the list of game producers, which is a way of saying that he was not part of the game's development so much as he had a hand in overseeing it.

If he did not work on Platinum, why was he in an interview about it then?
Because as the company director, refusing to be interviewed about the latest release is the equivalent of shunning the game. Junichi Masuda is what Satoshi Tajiri was for the first few years of the franchise's history, which is to say that he has certain responsibilities in terms of public appearances. Also notice that a lot of the questions in those interviews pertained to the past and future of Pokémon games, rather than the present.

He was right the first time and got it wrong later due to misinformation. Even though he is very much the general director of Game Freak, Junichi Masuda only appears in Platinum's credits under "Pokémon Composition" and "Plot Scenario" because of his work on Diamond and Pearl, and only as one of several individuals at that. Otherwise, he appears under the list of game producers, which is a way of saying that he was not part of the game's development so much as he had a hand in overseeing it.

Well, I suppose already doing that stuff on D/P, he would not really have to do it again for Platinum as its been done as Platinum was a modified D/P game afterall, just do a few other things, and maybe get someone else to do the other stuff.

I forgot he was the company director

If GSDS is to be Fall 2009, we're going to start hearing about it very, very soon.

I really suspect whatever's coming in 2010 is bigger than merely remakes, no matter how anticipated they are.

I really suspect whatever's coming in 2010 is bigger than merely remakes, no matter how anticipated they are.
It has never been said that anything was coming in 2010. The beauty about the remakes is that they can be announced next month, or even just before the movie premiere, and still be released by the end of the year. Generation V, on the other hand, would be out in the open by now if it were meant for the 2010 timeframe.

The description "merely remakes" entails a supposition that I suspect will be proven wrong. In your own words, you'd best get used to hearing about the remakes.

Yeah, there'd at least be a year of Gen V Pokemon in the anime before Gen V was even announced. But there's not a single damn trace. If by "Big" you mean Colosseum 3 for the Wii, then yes, I could see that being released around the time of the GSC remakes.

Putting aside the debate for a moment, I just want to say...

LONG LIVE POKEMON!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom