• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Random Messages 16: Annual Meeting of NPCs From Cursed, Barely Functional Video Games

What is your favorite curse?

• Total voters
What was the Nemona event?
an oversimplification is that a group of people, including myself, pretended to be an AI chatbot of Nemona (disclaimer: we are firmly against AI) that went haywire and started hijacking other people's accounts (though the only "hacked" people were those in on the joke). some found it funny, some (who were actually scared that their account would get hacked)... did not.
so it's very controversial. i think more people liked it than not, though..?

While I appreciate the pats… I’m fairly certain I’m tall enough that you couldn’t pay my head. And any other part would just be… odd
i have a stepladder! somewhere

an oversimplification is that a group of people, including myself, pretended to be an AI chatbot of Nemona (disclaimer: we are firmly against AI) that went haywire and started hijacking other people's accounts (though the only "hacked" people were those in on the joke). some found it funny, some (who were actually scared that their account would get hacked)... did not.
so it's very controversial. i think more people liked it than not, though..?
wow copying from nationstates.net much smh bulbagarden i hope max barry sues you!!!!

nemona meme.jpg

what the fuck is that
browser-based nation simulation game and roleplaying forum that's been around since 2002

i only mentioned this cuz doing a prank where part of the prank was jokingly hacking accounts is like very similar to what nationstates did for their april fool's day prank back in 2011.

it's been like 13 damn years but iirc the prank was:
  • you'd log in and it'd say there had been something like 300 bad login attempts since you last logged in
  • your nation's motto appear to be changed to 'HAXXORED!! TRY A BETTER PASSWORD NEXT TIME' (altho everyone else would just see your regular motto)
  • the most recent message on the regional message board appeared to be from your account and was something silly and spammy (again, only visible to you)
  • if you tried to delete the spammy message, you'd get a popup that said APRIL FOOLS

it was a bit of a shitstorm cuz people thought they genuinely were being hacked and at least one user demanded that the site staff apologize for the prank because they were otherwise considering filing a lawsuit against the site over it.

of course when you stopped to think about it - it was also blatantly obvious it was fake like:
1. if your password was so easy to guess, why did it take the 'hackers' 300 tries to get into your account? (to say nothing of how you can only have like...i think it's 10 failed login attempts during a short period of time before the game goes 'whoa that's too many failed logins!!! you gotta wait 45 minutes before you try logging in again')
2. how come the only thing the 'hackers' did while accessing your account was just changing your motto to something mocking your 'easy' password and posting a spammy message in the regional message board? why didn't they change your flag to something obscene to try and get the mods to delete your account or go on a spamming spree on the forums?
3. why didn't they change your password to lock you out of your account entirely

Back
Top Bottom