• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Regarding Ash's Pikachu's Gender

Um.

Pikachu was caught outside Sinnoh. Gender differences in the anime don't apply consistently to Pokémon caught outside Sinnoh. Therefore, the fact that Pikachu's tail lacks an indent is insufficient proof for saying it has a male gender.

That's not a contradiction, that's supporting the argument.

It seems you missed out a part of what I said. Pikachu are basically native to Kanto, but people have imported Pikachu to Sinnoh.

I'll breed some Azurill and film their evolutions just to prove it can happen if you want.

Not that it's even tied in with Pikachu's gender (I only brought it up for the sake of factual accuracy). I like how the bit of evidence I got from Dogasu's site hasn't been challenged though.

Also, every female Pikachu in DPP has an indent, even the Pal Parked ones. Same for all gender differences - they are applied after Pal Parking. A female Blaziken will lose some headfeathers, a female Venusaur will sprout a seed etc. Therefore, the fact that the ones in Kanto, Johto, Orre and Hoenn don't have gender variants is rather moot imo. You can't use your game "evidence" without considering every aspect of the games.

Yay, continuity (or lack thereof).

It seems you missed out a part of what I said. Pikachu are basically native to Kanto, but people have imported Pikachu to Sinnoh.

I'm still not sure what you're trying to say. Yes, they have imported Pikachu. But still, Pokémon not from Sinnoh don't seem to consistently display gender differences in the anime, so it still doesn't change anything.

I hate to bring a different topic up, but it seems relevant to this discussion. Well, a bit.

What about some talking legendaries and other certain Pokemon that seem to have obvious genders, but stil listed as "unknown" in the Bulbapedia?

The only reason most legendaries don't have genders in the game was to prevent People from thinking you can actually breed them, although this is starting to change.

I'm still not sure what you're trying to say. Yes, they have imported Pikachu. But still, Pokémon not from Sinnoh don't seem to consistently display gender differences in the anime, so it still doesn't change anything.

I chose to emphasize that point since the user doesn't seem to get that.

Also:

Games =/= Anime repeated yet another time to get that point across.

Come on, you can breed a (genderless) Magneton with a bloody Ditto. DITTO ITSELF IS GENDERLESS AND CAN BREED. So you can't actually say that it prevents them from breeding.

Most legendaries don't have genders is because of sexism. For example, if Mewtwo were made a boy, boys would jump in and say that they're stronger than girls. If arceus had a gender, oh my god whichever gender they chose will end in disaster. So their last choice was genderless-ism.

I chose to emphasize that point since the user doesn't seem to get that.

Your awesomeness is awesome. But anyway, to the OP, I'm not trying to be mean here; I just seriously don't get what you're saying.

Come on, you can breed a (genderless) Magneton with a bloody Ditto. DITTO ITSELF IS GENDERLESS AND CAN BREED. So you can't actually say that it prevents them from breeding.

Most legendaries don't have genders is because of sexism. For example, if Mewtwo were made a boy, boys would jump in and say that they're stronger than girls. If arceus had a gender, oh my god whichever gender they chose will end in disaster. So their last choice was genderless-ism.

I think I'm going to have to convert to Genderless-ism now.

Um, yeah, unless they make it 50-50.

^
Lati@s? Heatran?

As for the original topic at hand, Outrage has said it many times.

the actual reason they dont have genders on legends is so you cant breed them.
pretty simple.

What about Cresselia? She has a gender; can she breed?

Hmm, come to think of it, Cresselia is a sexist stereotype. *shot*

Last edited:
the actual reason they dont have genders on legends is so you cant breed them.
pretty simple.

Not necessarily. With Most legends there is only one and second, just because some legends have a gender does not mean they can breed.

Anyway, Ditto is genderless, but can take the form of any pokemon so it does not could as a genderless that can breed. It can breed with magnemite line so mayeb something happens when it transforms to produce an egg?

Arn't we getting a bit off topic here?

Most people dont call girls "buddy", but hey, that wont change anybody's mind.

Unless Buneary is a crossdresser, it's pretty easily confirmed that Ash's Pikachu is male. Seeing as Buneary has worn a dress twice, and it likes Pikachu (and that Pikachu acts towards Buneary's affection like Ash acts towards any girl's affection), I don't see how anyone could say it isn't.

Can we lock this thread, please? Some people just don't seem to get it.'

Edit: Sorry. I didn't mean to come across so rude. Discussing Ash's Pikachu's gender is fine, but this is not the section for it. I'm sure there's a thread like this somewhere in the Anime section; you guys ought to take the debate there instead. This thread was asking a question about a BP page, and that question has since been answered.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom