• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S08 EP09: Vanity Affair

FabuVinny

May the Aura be with you.
Reaction score
Japanese Episode AG 101: "Seaman! Enter the Elite Four Drake!"
American Episode 372: "Vanity Affair"

AG119.jpg

Ash is getting cocky again. He's not at the level he was when he lost to Brawly yet, but he is getting there. While at a café, Dake of the Elite Four invites him onto his Pirate Ship for a battle. And some random French Waitresses *cough*Team Rocket*cough* come along too.

Post your thoughts about the episode here. Please mark any spoilers for episodes not that have yet to air in America in spoiler tags.

So did you guys get the NOA-friendly opening?

Wow, this was a good episode. I just hope Ash learns from it. Brock shows at the beginning that he knows when Ash is getting cocky. And as Max said, Ash had a type advantage in the opening battle. So the writes had better not give us another Dewford Gym Part One after this.

And in case the ending moral doesn’t apply to you, 4Kids added some subliminal messaging. Remember kids, milk makes you strong!

LOL for the new take on the Boss fantasy! And I loved the French Team Rocket!

Ash was good in this episode. Veronica Taylor was really good at making Ash sound in awe, and I love the way that smile comes onto his face just before the battle. And kudos to whoever does the Wingull, because they really sounded like Seagulls.

Last edited:
There's also another sublimal message: Hyper Beam is not the win-all end-all move, and it's pitifully lame on a Scizor. x.x;;

O_O Drake wins in the VA department. And the boat department. And the coat department.

Fitzwilliam's kinna cute. *random observation* Even though he looks like half the CotDs that ever stepped on screen. They really aren't that imaginative in the male character design anymore, are they? >.>;; Recurring characters excluded. And Gye/Guy from the Loudred/Exploud episode.

James must've learned his 'constructive critism' online. And wow, Meowth andf James mentioned specifically-powered physical violence. Whooooooo~ And James also get's a good line: "And take that attitude of yours with you!"

"And that's the thickest mast I've ever seen." It wasn't even said by James! @_@ My day was just made. Because it was /totally/ uncalled for, completely random....Brock could have commented on something else. He could have. He /should/ have.

Salamance could have had a better voice though. I'm disappointed. For a dragon, it was reduced to a second-rate balloon blaster.

Side note: I am really hating how their shows are overrunning their time slot. -_- I refuse to keep watching the end of episodes if I have to keep missing the beginning of TMNT. T_T

Last edited:
Great episode. The battles were exiting, Drake's team was in touch with his game counterpart's, a moral, and TR had a Drake fantasy. Hell, I'm just happy they didn't dub Drake as a pirate. Salamence's voice could use a little boost though.

9/10

P.S.

FabuVinny said:
So did you guys get the NOA-friendly opening?

Nope. Rukario, Manene, and Manyula were all there.

Last edited:
Luna Tiger said:
"And that's the thickest mast I've ever seen." It wasn't even said by James! @_@ My day was just made. Because it was /totally/ uncalled for, completely random....Brock could have commented on something else. He could have. He /should/ have.
Noticed that too, hmm? Couldn't believe my ears (well, actually I could, since 4Kids isn't shy about doing innuendo like that).

There was also another line by Brock, earlier in the episode, that had the same effect. Anyone have it?

You know, if 4Kids were as concerned with adding innuendo as some of you think they are, then surely they would have taken more from the whole sailing theme.

Toonami are showing his episode again as I write this and the 4th gen Pokémon are still in the opening here too. So it looks like it only comes into effect for the Mawile episode. And by the time that airs in America, if they go by the same timing as Destiny Deoxys, then NOA will have probably revealed them anyway. :rolleyes:

Now I want some hot milk with peppermint...

Who did Drake's voice? He was good.

So I see they're back to having Solar Beam being an automatic attack...sure wish they'd make up their mind.

So...no one noticed the talking Meowth? NO ONE? And I suppose it's the lesson DC Comics teaches that glasses are the absolute best disguise ever.

Solar Beam was automatic in the last episode too. Even though they specifically stated in the episode before that that the same mon's attack needed time to work.

Solarbeam speed rate is purely plot progressive.

FabuVinny said:
You know, if 4Kids were as concerned with adding innuendo as some of you think they are, then surely they would have taken more from the whole sailing theme.
So does that mean you believe us or not? You know, don't answer that, since I don't care. At least it's a fun chuckle to hear, not something to overly complicate.

We still got Manene and Lucario in the OP.

I love French Team Rocket! They're both adorable! And chef!Meowth always wins. XD I totally didn't notice the subliminal milk message, FabuVinny. Go, calcium! And I did like Fitzwilliam. Was that a character in Pirates of the Carribean?

Perhaps it's 4Kids' intention to have Eric say something innuendo-filled every episode.

For an episode about knocking Ash off his pedestal, it's pretty amusing.

Bonsly was never in the dub version - and it's in XD anyway. But the episodes that aired new in the UK this week had Manene, Manyula, and Lucario removed.

Fitzwilliam's was his name, eh? Yeah. I liked his voice. Cute guy, and he seemed to realy have an affection for Drake(a possible ship?).

Drake rocked. Nice to get him in the anime. Much scarier than Lance.

Hah, I love episodes where Ash gets shot down a few pegs( 'cause he can be such an air-head..). French Rocket was a lovely touch too. Meowth talking about how he's specialized for making good milk was just cute.

Great epi. And now there's only 2 more episodes until we get some Harley action. HUZZAAH!

Luna Tiger said:
Side note: I am really hating how their shows are overrunning their time slot. -_- I refuse to keep watching the end of episodes if I have to keep missing the beginning of TMNT. T_T

I know I keep missing the beginning of Winx Club. :mad: The episode was a good filler. I liked that Ash didn't really think about how he was battling. Team Rocket's fake French accents were funny.

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom