• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S09 EP17: Spontaneous Combusken! ・ EP18: Cutting the Ties that Bind!

Maybe Brock's just having a bad day. He must not have read through his Wise Older Twerp Manual last night. Still though, that's the second Ground-type-related error in the new dub. o_O

Way more concerned about "Combuskin". That better be fixed.

According to Maddie Blaustein, 4Kids were the ones who fixed "Hooked on Onix" and "Choose it or Lose It," not PUSA.

"Prove it, or move it!"

Well, I don't think Maddie would lie.....I hope not.

But how would she go about proving that, though? By providing a photograph of a 4Kids employee digitally altering the title screen in an office she'd probably have no business being in in the first place?

I saw these two episodes just now, at my friend's house (he Tivo-recorded them).

And what the heck is wrong with Brianna's voice?
That's what I was wondering.

I have no idea why they made her voice so high and squeaky. O.O

"Spontaneous Combusken"

This was a good episode. It wasn't great, but it was still decent.

I liked Drew's new voice. It was very good (not as good as the original voice, but it's pretty close).

I had no idea that May's Combusken would learn Mega Kick in this episode! That took me by surprise and it was awesome!

Oh, and I STILL prefer the original Sukizo voice. His new voice sounds terrible whenever he says "Remarkable". I think it's an emotion thing, most likely.

Anyway, this was an good contest episode, and I'm glad that May got another ribbon.

"Cutting The Ties That Bind"

I had no idea this was gonna be an Ash centered episode!! O.O

I mean, I knew that Sceptile would have to "remember" its attacks eventually, but wow. This episode was absolutely amazing.

I liked the plot of this episode, and the animation was great. The music was good too.

And I can't believe Ash hurt his leg and still managed to jump like that!! O_O

Wow, just wow.

My jaw dropped when I saw that scene.

And that just proves one thing, Ash is truly amazing. I think he can do almost anything. And I like how the writers give him so much "main character abuse" and have him always come out okay from everything, even if it's something physically harmful to Ash's health. Also, I love how Ash is so brave and determined, he WILL do anything if it's to save his Pokemon or his friends. He doesn't mind or care if he puts himself in danger. And that's just one reason why I love him so much.

This episode was very good indeed.

And I do have "other things" to say about this episode, but for obvious reasons, they can't be mentioned in this thread.

No, Sarah wasn't that good in the last episode. I disagree with you there, Misty. She still sounds the same like she usually does, emotioness.

I know Lisa will agree with me when she sees that episode.
Yes, I do agree with you, Misty Lover17.

And guess what? We're not bringing this up here; it always leads to more arguing than nothing. Take it to the New VA discussion thread.
Oh, I'll definitely be saying something about "Cutting The Ties That Bind".

That's for sure.

Last edited:
Well, Wakana had a really high voice in the original and... gasped a lot. xD; It was so cuuuute, though.

'H-hai! Ganbarimasu! -passes out-'
I don't know about her English voice as I haven't watched her episode yet. ^^;

I still think Sceptile sounds exactly like Psyduck. Why can't he just growl or roar like Charizard did?

Let us begin. Ahem. :pulls out a random post-it note:

Spontaneous Combuskin (mispell intended):
The hand painted shot of Combusken and Mime Jr. kicked so much ass, I found it hard to sit down.

Briana: Her voice sounds like she's literally shrunk! But despite that, I liked her anyway. I couldn't help but notice that her pokémon are the pre-evos of Drew's Flygon and Masquerain. That's funny to me.

Cutting the Ties that Bind (I don't get that one):

I thought Sceptile had completely cracked when he started banging his head on the tree. I think that's how he woke up those Beedrill (like Headbutt from Gold/Silver). I thought it was awesome when he re-learned all his attacks in that one instant. Especially when he KO'd Dustox and Cacnea at the same time with his "Double" Leaf Blade!

Please note: The thread is from 17 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom