• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S09 EP21: Curbing the Crimson Tide! ・ EP22: What I Did for Love!

I'll just randomly type things without any order or train of thought.

So the innuedo in the title was for no reason? Curses! >:O

Heh, I was thinking that Luna's a bit like an angrier Molly too.

It did seem like Brock wanted to drop the breeder thing for some reason. What with his lines with May while they were watching the TV it certainly seemed like he was trying to force the thought of of his mind... Either do something important constantly, Brock, or go home. I like you, but you don't do anything.

I wonder why Ash didn't use Swellow in the battle with Scizor? XD Ah well, Sceptile's kickarse as usual. I really hate May's Squirtle. It did not need to get revenge. >>

This is one of the few times we see TR do something successfully. Go, guys, go! :D It way also fun to see a twerp team-up; love it when they do that. And Brock called Jessie by her name! That hardly ever happens! :O

I think these two episodes show how much talent May and Brock's new voice actors have. They're really become some of my favorites, especially with all of Brock's screaming during the Contest.

Even Ash's voice has been better in these two episodes.

In any case, nice to see May get to star in two more episodes in a row as we get close to her end.

Oh, another note.

May's Theme isn't here, nor is any dub-exclusive song.

...:(

I know, probably because of the Japanese lyrics. :/

I'm hoping they they play May's theme without lyrics, it'll be shown in the dub.

So...why *does* Jesse need costumes to compete? No one seems to recognize them as being Rocket agents anyway...and then she pulled out that hippie costume--what, she couldn't compete in that?

I was wondering the same thing actually. I guess I just assumed she was too late, but that eppisode ended really weird.. is it suppose to be a two part eppisode or something?

So...why were they so shocked when they found out it could talk? They're been around Meowth for how long now?

Well, the gang's encountered a ton of talking pokemon, but the idea of a talking bug is mind bogggling! Don't you know? Its crazy, bugs don't talk! :p

Anyways, I don't fallow the Anime section so well (especially with the gigantic topics) but what's up with the voices?

I know I can't be the only one thinking that for these two eppisodes all of the voices got significantly better? A lot of the main cast sounds exactly like the 4KiDs staff (except for Ash, who also has gotten better, but you can tell its the same actress, her acting's just gotten a lot better).. Is this those sound samples Maddie was talking about?

Most of the new voices have been great for a while now. Meowth still has that harsh growl rather than being more sympathetic like Maddie's Meowth, and James talks too snobbish at times, but overall the majority of them have improved tremendously over the course of the season.

I'm even used to Ash now. His voice is very different from his old one but there's more feeling in his voice lately.

Who did the voice of Red lightning? That sounded great.

All right. Here we go:

"Curbing the Crimson Tide"

Red Lightning was totally badass, up until the point he got back to Luna, then he was back to being a normal Scizor.

Sceptile does Spider Man!

"What I Did For Love"

It was funny to see Ash fall on his back after Eevee's Dig attack.

James blubbering about his bottlecaps never gets old, even if he sounds like an old dude.

The read of the episode title was just bad. Even Sarah can do better than that.
Thank you for mentioning that, Blackjack.

Sarah does a terrible job with the episode titles, in my opinion. They make me cringe even more than Ash's lines in the episodes do.

I miss the way VeronicaAsh said the titles....... *sniff* ;_;

"Curbing the Crimson Tide"

A good episode, with some great moments in it.

I especially loved the battle between Sceptile and the Red Lightning.

Also, yes, the Red Lightning had a very good voice.

I liked the Scizor's trainer as well. But wow, I didn't notice her name was Mollie!! O.O

Heh, it does make sense though, given the fact that she caused all that trouble in the city by having her Scizor go around as the Red Lightning.

Also, that city reminded me of downtown Pittsburgh, with all those tall buildings. XD It's probably more similar to New York though.

"What I Did For Love"

Ah, so this is the contest episode that Brock was supposed to enter!!

I remember hearing about it on one of the Bulbacasts (lol).

Anyway, it figures. Brock will do just about anything for a pretty girl, especially one who's a Pokemon Breeder.

And wow, that girl asking if Brock would study with her was very surprising. I wasn't expecting that, and it was a nice twist.

Of course the writers wouldn't let Brock go away, not when he's so valuable to the group. I mean, he's the guy who does all the cooking, so without him, how will they eat? XD

I liked the Scizor's trainer as well. But wow, I didn't notice her name was Mollie!! O.O

Heh, it does make sense though, given the fact that she caused all that trouble in the city by having her Scizor go around as the Red Lightning.

The girl with the Scizor is Luna. The girl in the Contest with the Raticate is Mollie.

Of course the writers wouldn't let Brock go away, not when he's so valuable to the group. I mean, he's the guy who does all the cooking, so without him, how will they eat? XD

They got along fine without him in the Orange Islands. Brock isn't any more vital to the group than any other character, Ash was willing to travel alone in both Hoenn and Shinou at the start.

The only reason they keep Brock every season is because you need one sidekick in the group, (since Ash/May or Ash/Hikari aren't just going to travel alone), so they drag his character season through season. He's essentially a third tier character used to explain things, which is why the writers treat him like crap every season.

I haven't seen the dubbed ep yet, but I remember Sceptile's brief Spider-Man-like scene, that was great.

So the "Crimson Tide" title was pointless. Bleah, fits in with the rest of PUSA's crappy titles...

Luna was the biggest bee-otch since Lucy's sister Barbara. Just wanted to up and smack that little creep across the face. "I don't care! (that my mechanized Scizor is hurting innocent Pokémon!)" indeed.

Didn't even waste my time watching the second one. I don't need to see yet another forced May win.

Next week: ANABEL AT LAST!!

I miss the way VeronicaAsh said the titles....... *sniff* ;_;

Yes, that's EXACTLY what i think. Even thogh Sarah had improved, that's the worst part of every episode.

Fruit sandwiches? ;-) Or, Brock could send them rice balls inside the pokeballs (hey, Ash was able to catch one with a pokeball in Mankey/Primeape capture ep!) xD

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 17 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom