• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Summer Awards 2016 Announcement

AceTrainer14

The acest of trainers
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Yes, it’s that time of year again: the time when we spend a month and a half feverishly reading, voting and judging each other’s work across the entire section. The starting period for the 2016 Summer Awards is nearly upon us, but I just wanted to clarify a few things first before we dive straight into the awards.

Firstly, the big changes this time around. You may remember from around February when we discussed how to improve the awards and make it fairer so everyone has an opportunity to take part. These changes are, for reminders:
- All nominees will be posted publicly once they arrive.
- In order to nominate your own work, it is now compulsory to nominate one story and character that has not already been nominated that round (i.e. isn’t on the list). You can nominate a character from a nominated story that hasn’t already been nominated (i.e. if I nominated Alaska and 8ES myself, you could then nominate any other character from 8ES but could not nominate the story).
- If your story has won an award before, you must have written 20k since the last time your story was judged in order for that story to be eligible this time. We recommend checking with us before nominating just to be certain.

Those are the big changes. Other rules still apply, such as characters must have appeared in one chapter that round to be considered for nomination. Authors still have until the end of the voting period to submit new chapters, but they will not count towards the 20k total – that must be completed before voting begins. It’s also worth noting that, due to no interest last time, the Poetry award will be a yearly thing now, so any poems posted since last June are eligible for this round of competition. Authors can still remove their stories from competition if they do not wish for them to compete: if you know you haven’t hit 20k and won't hit it in time, please let me know so we can stop people nominating it.

Our timeline for these awards are:
June 5th: Nomination period starts, though there will be a 24 hour delay before anyone can submit to ensure people at least read a few stories beforehand.
June 12th: Voting opens. We are not currently making any changes to this, but if there remains a very limited amount of new entries we will have to do something.
June 19th: Normal voting ends and judging and User Voting begins.
Our aim is to be done by mid-July, but that’s always my aim and we almost always run over so let’s wait and see.

Basically this post is to remind everyone to keep reading and keep writing. We want as many people to take part as possible and be include, so I encourage you all to read as widely as possible, to sample the work that gets nominated as it comes in, and let’s all try our best to make this the most inclusive awards with the best stories on offer in Workshop history!

If you have any questions, not is the time to ask.

Is there any leeway offered on the word count?
We will be considerate if a user is just under 20k, but as I said, if people are uncertain about it, they should contact me before the nominations open to discuss. People should be aiming for 20k and I do not wish to discourage anyone from aiming for that number - if you want to know, talk to me.

And just a reminder, this only applies to winning stories, not stories that have been nominated or stories by authors that have won for different pieces of work. This word limit only applies to about 40 stories, most of which are no longer active.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom