• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obsolete: The greatest film of each decade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
of course I'm not really at all knowledgable about decades earlier than the fifties, and we've still got a half decade left. Anyway, what do you guys think?

My preliminary picks are probably;

40s - Citizen Kane
50s - 12 Angry Men
60s - The Good, the Bad and The Ugly
70s - Godfather II
80s - Blade Runner
90s - Pulp Fiction
00s - City of God

These aren't necessarily my favourites, e.g Toy Story is my favourite of all time, but the ones that I think are the most important.

The key to this is to find the movie of the decade that shifted the accepted tone of the film industry, be it with regards to editing, story-telling, or some other factor. Here are my choices. Each one, in my view anyway, was revolutionary for its time.

1900s – The Great Train Robbery
1910s – The Birth of a Nation
1920s – Metropolis
1930s – Gone with the Wind
1940s – Fantasia
1950s – Vertigo
1960s – Lawrence of Arabia
1970s - A Clockwork Orange
1980s – Airplane
1990s – Unforgiven
2000s – Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
2010s – Boyhood

I'll go with my picks for 40's onward, as I have not seen movies (I probably have but I just don't remember) from the 30's, 20's, etc.

1940's - Casablanca
1950's - The Searchers
1960's - Psycho
1970's - Grease
1980's - Stand by Me
1990's - Pulp Fiction
2000's - Requiem for a Dream
2010's - Zero Dark Thirty

Of course these are my opinions, everyone will have a different view on which movies they think is the greatest for each decade.

Right, here goes.
1900s: I'd say Méliès' 'A Trip To The Moon'
1910s: 'The Birth Of A Nation' is a visual spectacle. Once you get past the explicit racism, it's quite enthralling.
1920s: 'Metropolis'. It's no contest.
1930s: Oh dear. This is tough. I'd go with 'Gone With The Wind'.
1940s: 'Citizen Kane', surely.
1950s: Hmm. Either 'Sunset Boulevard', 'Singin' in the Rain' or 'Seven Samurai'.
1960s: I haven't seen many films from the 60s, but 'West Side Story' is pretty damn awesome.
1970s: There are so many great films from this period! I'd love to say 'The Rocky Horror Picture Show' but it's gotta be 'The Godfather'. Or maybe 'Taxi Driver'.
1980s: 'Ran'. Easily.
1990s: 'Shawshank'. Always 'Shawshank'.
2000s: 'Toy Story 2'.
2010s: 'Room'. So far it's 'Room'.

And that's that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom