• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

To Catch a Feebas!

Hubologist

Post-Apocalyptic
Reaction score
Hello! I'm brand-new to this forum. I'm currently playing Pokémon Diamond, have beaten the Elite Four and the Champion, and have obtained the National Dex. I haven't played a Pokémon game since the days of Red, Yellow, and Blue, so needless to say, it's been quite a while for me.

Anyway... yes, I'm trying to catch a Feebas, because Milotic looks dead sexy and I want one. I've done my research on catching it (as best I can — good information is hard to come by, it seems), but I still have a few questions. Hopefully, people wiser than I can answer them for me, and if so I greatly appreciate it.

[1] I believe the proper area to fish for Feebas is the large, foggy underground lake in the northern interior of Mt. Coronet, with the 7 x 7 square island in the center (and a little dock sticking off to the south that has an item on it to begin with). Is this the right area? Because if what I hear about catching Feebas is true, I do not want to start looking in the wrong area.

[2] I counted all the water squares in that lake... there are 528 water squares. (This is not counting the rocks and island and such). I read that only four of these squares contain Feebas on any given day, that the locations of the four squares change every 24 hours, and that there's a 50% chance of catching a Feebas if you find the right square. Is this all accurate?

[3] 528 squares... fished four or five times each, in a pattern... assuming I hit a square with a Feebas in it 1/3 of the way through, that's something like 500 or 600 casts. Does that sound about right? How many hours do I need to catch one checking squares systematically, do you think? 2, 4, 8, 16... 24? :O

[4] I ordered LeafGreen, FireRed, Emerald, Pearl, and another DS Lite (Pearl and the DS are gifts for a good friend so I can get him addicted and force him to trade with me ;) ). Should I just wait to try for Feebas until I get Emerald? I heard you had 6 tiles in 100 in Emerald (or some version) to find Feebas in instead of 4 in 528 (unless I'm thinking of the wrong lake).

Thanks again for any information you can offer.

[1] Correct.

[2] Correct.

[3] Devote a day or two to it.

[4] Yes, wait for Emerald.

[1] Correct.

[2] Correct.

Thanks for the confirmation; looks like I have all my facts straight as far as Diamond and Pearl are concerned.

[3] Devote a day or two to it.

[4] Yes, wait for Emerald.

I figured it might be a long process. Of course, one can always get lucky, but it's not something to count on... and waiting for Emerald sounds like the best idea, now that you've confirmed all the information in [1] and [2].

odyeiop said:
Emerald is almost 300-400 tiles I do believe.

Ah, thank you for clearing that up. Still, 6:400 (a 1.5% chance per square) as the worst-case scenario for Emerald is substantially better than 4:528 (a 0.8% chance per square) for Diamond. That's approximately 2x better. Not to mention that the square locations in Emerald apparently don't change day by day, but rather as per "sayings" (I didn't want to spoil Emerald for myself, so I only scanned that part.)

Thanks very much, both of you!

Listen, Milotic is waay too much work for too little. First, you have to breed one that likes dry food, get a LOT of Pamtre berries, make at LEAST level 23 poffins, and then shove them down his throat. Starmie/Staryu is just as good.

It's actually pretty easy to get one off the GTS Or, I could trade you one for something.

Guys... this is ridiculous.

I just turned on my DS, and I was still sitting in the underground lake. I was about to Escape Rope/Fly out to somewhere else, and I thought, "Hell, why not?" I Surfed over to a random square and cast. Guess what appeared on the first cast?

Yes, a Feebas. I nearly soiled myself, and it was doubly shocking because I don't believe in that kind of luck. I tossed a Quick Ball and caught the Feebas on the first toss.

So... I can't believe it myself. It's ridiculous. :)

I ran down here like I was twelve again to post about it, too.

Thank you for the kind offers, but I just magically found my Feebas mine. Uh... if I breed some good ones and people need to trade me for them, I'm pleased enough about this that I might be a sucker for a trade.

(P.S.: Still waiting on my Wi-Fi adapter in the mail, no GTS yet.)

^
Lucky you. ;)

I caught a Feebas, surprisingly, after only 10 minutes of hunting for it. :p

Well, make sure it's ability likes Blue Poffins (I believe they are the +SPATK ones), then evolve it.

Congratulations!

^
Lucky you. ;)

I caught a Feebas, surprisingly, after only 10 minutes of hunting for it. :p

Well, make sure it's ability likes Blue Poffins (I believe they are the +SPATK ones), then evolve it.

Congratulations!

Thanks! I guess this is the way people are supposed to find Feebas, completely by accident, although Feebas seems like the kind of Poke you really need a guide for (what are the odds of someone figuring out it evolves at max Beauty without a guide or advice from others? What are the odds of someone fishing endlessly for Whiscash and Gyarados?).

Quick Balls seem to work every time without fail on these guys, and I have 30 left in my bag. After I catch 30 more Feebas, I'm going to save my game, go back to town, buy even more Quick Balls, and catch even more Feebas. I've memorized the location, of course, and I'm not taking any chances.

Also, it's 9:25 p.m. here, so I suppose I have two and a half hours until the squares scramble again (although I don't know for certain).

Please note: The thread is from 17 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom