• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Unovia's Pokemon Crystal "Team Rocket" Run

Log #21-Olivine City & Mahogany Town
  • Happy New Year to everyone!

I got my Team to Level 30 (though Eevee has not yet evolved, so I have it at Level 29, working on the Happiness). Croconaw evolved to Feraligatr, Magnemite to Megneton, Meowth to Persian, and Venonat to Venomoth (Level 31). Both Persian and Venomoth were boxed. I taught Feraligatr Surf, though once Slowpoke evolves, I will also give it Surf. When I got to Olivine, I ran into Twerp, who told me that the Gym Leader was not there, helping a sick Pokemon. I also caught a Krabby, stealing a Voltorb. I then trained it up, getting it to Electrode. I also traveled to Mahogany Town, where I heard about a Red Gyarados at the Lake of Rage. In the next Log, we will go back to the Lighthouse of Olivine City. Until the next time, we will be seeing you!

Log #22-Olivine Lighthouse
  • Glitter Lighthouse.jpg
    I headed back to Olivine City, where I decided to take on the Olivine Lighthouse. There are quite a few trainers here, and eventually I got to the top, where I met a girl named Jasmine, who was there, taking care of a sick Ampharos. She asked me to collect medicine from Cianwood. She is going to be waiting for it for a while.

After I beat all of the trainers and got done with the Lighthouse (right now), I headed back to Mahogany Town. My next location to check out for me is the Lake of Rage. In the next Log, we will go to the Lake of Rage, where a strange Gyarados is waiting for us to see.

What is strange about this Gyarados? In the next Log, we will find out. Until the next time, we will see you!

Log #23-Lake of Rage
  • Lake of Rage.jpg
    Lake of Rage
    Heading up from Mahogany Town, I battled a few trainers on my way to the Lake of Rage. Sitting at the edge of the lake, I am still not sure what is special about this place and what I am about to see. Sailing onto the Lake, I headed to the center of the lake where I ran into a Red Gyarados. Wait...A Red Gyarados...what the heck happened? Gyarados is normally Blue, so something must have happened.

Regardless, it is a rare Pokemon, and I want to catch it! I used Magneton (Level 31) to take it on (Level 30). It took 2 tries, and it almost took out Magneton, though Magneton managed to lower the Gyarados enough for me to catch it. I was left to wonder, what had I actually caught, and just who had done this? Upon getting to the end, I ran into a guy named Lance, who asked me to go with him back to Mahogany Town. Just what would I find there?

In the next Log, we will go and meet up with Lance. Until the next time, we will be seeing you!

Log #24-Team Rocket HQ
  • 220px-Team_Rocket_HQ_PG.png
    Meeting with the dude Lance, I came into a shop within the town. Lance was using Dragonite to attack a shopkeeper (How was this allowed?!), who opened up a staircase, which Lance traveled down. I followed him, and I found that the area below the shop was a Team Rocket HQ. Why was I not told to come here to work? I am a member of Team Rocket! I traveled through, forcibly having to battle the grunts and scientists here, since they would not listen to me, even though I tried to tell them I was one of them. I took a break occasionally to train some of my Team on Route 43.

While I traveled back to Goldenrod City, preparing to continue my Eevee getting the haircut and build friendship, Eevee learned Bite and evolved into Umbreon! Finally! Now with my evolved Umbreon, I finished the HQ. It's unfortunate that I could not convince the members to join me instead....

Right now, my Team is Level 32, and I plan to get my Team to Level 37. At Level 37, Slowpoke will evolve to Slowbro and at Level 38, Koffing will become Weezing. Once my Team is Level 37, we will be taking on the next Log, which will be taking on Pryce for the next Gym and controlling Mahogany Town. Until the next time, we will be seeing you!

Log #25-Finally Taking Over Mahogany Town (Gym #5)
  • Pryce.jpg
    At Level 34, I decided to take on Mahogany Gym, mainly because I didn't want to sit and train forever, since all of the Pokemon in the grass on Route 43 are lower than even Level 20.

Mahogany Gym
    Mahogany Gym is one of the most challenging Gym puzzles in the game. The ice sliding is tricky to do. I used the Trainers to give my Team a bit more experience. Eventually, I got to be in front of Pryce, the last opponent to Team Rocket rule in Mahogany Town.

Pryce opened with Seel (Level 27), and I opened with Magneton (Level 34). One Thundershock took it down. Next for Pryce was Piloswine (Level 31). I was not sure who I wanted to use against it. I thought about either Feraligatr or Machoke, since Piloswine is weak to either Water or Fighting moves, among other types. In the end, Feraligatr (Level 34) took Piloswine on. One Surf ended that fight. Last for Pryce was Dewgong (Level 29). Magneton came back out to battle, ending the Gym with one Thundershock.

With Pryce defeated, there was no remaining opposition. For a little bit, I am going to get my Team To Level 35, since Magneton is close and I still have to get Koffing caught up. In the next Log, we will head west to Olivine, then make the journey to Cianwood. Until the next time, we will be seeing you!

Log #26-Running A Ferry Service
  • Whirl Islands.jpg
    From Olivine City, I crossed the sea, arriving in Cianwood. Koffing evolved at Level 35, so I didn't have to worry about using it. I took some time, making sure I got to Level 37, which allowed me to create my major Team to play through to the Elite Four.

1673034542599.png

At Cianwood, I got the Secret Potion, which would heal Amphy. I also battled Eusine, which I destroyed with Umbreon. Suicune ran off as well.
    Glitter Lighthouse.jpg
    At Glitter Lighthouse, I gave the potion to Jasmine, who healed Amphy. At this point, I had managed to unlock Cianwood & Olivine. I sailed back to Cianwood, preparing to take on the Cianwood City Gym.

In the next Log, we will do double take down, taking on Cianwood Gym & Olivine Gym, which will allow us to control both cities. Until the next time, we will see you!

Log #27-A Double Take Down (Gyms #6 & #7)
  • Chuck.jpg
    Cianwood Gym
    Going into Cianwood Gym, I trained up by beating the trainers, giving Machoke Strength, which allowed me to get to Chuck. Chuck opened with Primeape (Level 27), and I opened with Slowbro (Level 37). Primeape did little damage with Fury Swipes, and Slowbro took Primeape down with Confusion.

Next for Chuck was Poliwrath (Level 30), which I battled with Magneton (Level 37). Poliwrath put Magneton to sleep, which could have taken Magneton down with Dynamic Punch. Forunately, I had a Mint Berry, which woke up Magneton, allowing me to defeat the Paralyzed Poliwrath. With Chuck defeated, I now have control of Cianwood City. Grabbing Fly from Chuck's wife, I flew back to Olivine.
    Jasmine.jpg
    Olivine Gym
    Going into Olivine Gym, I realized there were no other Trainers in the Gym, giving me free access to Jasmine. She opened with her first Magnemite (Level 30) and I opened with Machoke (Level 37). One Karate Chop, and Magnemite fell. The next Magnemite (Level 30) came out and it was repeated. Last for Jasmine was Steelix (Level 35) and I switched to Feraligatr (Level 37), and a Surf took it out. I was surprised Ampharos didn't join into the battle, considering that Jasmine was helping to take care of it. It would have been an increased challenge if it had been, since that would have required a greater strategy.

I finally brought Olivine City under my control. As I left the Olivine Gym, Professor Elm called me, panicking about the Goldenrod Radio Tower, saying Team Rocket was taking over the Tower. As a member of Team Rocket, I am conflicted, since it would advantage me if Team Rocket took it over. However, considering how incompetent my coworkers have been, I have to go there.

In the next Log, we will travel to Goldenrod Radio Tower. Until the next time, we will see you!

Log #28-Rocket Radio
  • Archer.jpg
    Goldenrod Radio Tower
    Taking on the Goldenrod Radio Tower is a grueling challenge, but I felt like I had to beat all of these grunts, since they didn't respect me as one of the grunts...One of their own!!! I easily swept through the grunts (and some of the Admins.). The first area that stalled me out was getting to the Underground, where I had to defeat Twerp, then go through the "Shutter Puzzle", which took me a bit to go through. I got the Director, then found my way to Team Rocket's (and my) Boss, Archer, who fell easily to Feraligatr.

One thing I noticed was that toward the back of the struggle, the last few battles were actually very close to my Levels (they would be in the mid to upper 30's, while I am sitting at 38-40), creating a tougher battle. Once I beat Archer, he dismantled the Team, something I obviously didn't want to happen...Sigh...

Team Rocket left, and I got an item from the Director, a Clear Bell. Apparently, the rest of Team Rocket was talking about the news going on in Ecruteak, something involving a rare event...

In the next Log, we will go to explore this event. Until the next time, we will be seeing you!

Log #29-Tin Tower & Suicune
  • 600px-245Suicune.png
    Tin Tower
    In Ecruteak City, there is a location called the Tin Tower, though it is initially hard to find because it is hidden behind an unassuming house. I found a few monks in this area. These monks wanted me to show the Clear Bell (that I had gotten at Log #28), which allowed me to continue forward. I eventually was tested by 3 Monks, who were the "Wise Trio". It took a bit, and I defeated them. This gained me access to the Tin Tower itself.

Suicune
    As I came into Tin Tower, I was pushed into an unexpected fight with Suicune to actually try to catch it. It took me a few tries, and I actually had to do some shopping to get enough Great Balls to go to capture Suicune. Unfortunately, I couldn't buy Ultra Balls yet... Another element was what status to put on Suicune. Eventually, I settled on using Magneton to Paralyze, then use Slowbro as a wall to chip Suicune down. Shockingly, I captured Suicune after quite a few tries. OMG that was insane!

The Next Log
    In the next Log, we will go to Route 44 & Ice Path. Until the next time, we will be seeing you!

Log #30-Route 44 & Ice Path
  • 600px-215Sneasel.png
    From Mahogany Town, I headed east, exploring and defeating the trainers on Route 44, which brought me into the Ice Path. The Ice Path was very tricky to solve, mainly the rock pushing, but I managed to get through with a bit of help.

Once I got through there, I arrived at Blackthorn, then turned around, looking for a Sneasel. I eventually found and caught it, then went back to Blackthorn. From Blackthorn, I headed south, capturing a Skarmory as well. This filled my first PC Box, getting Bill to call me and tell me to change out the Box.

In the next Log, we will take on Blackthorn City Gym. Before we do that, we will collect the Experience Share from Mr. Pokemon.

Until the next time, we will be seeing you!

Log #31-The Dragons of Blackthorn (Gym #8)
  • HeartGold_SoulSilver_Clair.png
    Before I got to Blackthorn, I got the Exp. Share from Mr. Pokemon. The Exp. Share will be helpful in the future, especially in Kanto. Once I got it, I headed back to Blackthorn for the last Gym Badge. I bested the trainers, then did the puzzle, which was a Strength Puzzle. Once I did that, I took a moment, trained up my Squad to match Level 41 (what my Feraligatr ended up being), then I took Clair on.

Blackthorn Gym
    Clair was a bit tricky, only because the Dragonairs (Level 37), had a habit of getting to the red, requiring another Ice Punch from Feraligatr. The Kingdra (Level 40) was a tough customer, eventually taking out Feraligatr, only to lose to Magneton and Tri Attack. Once I beat Clair, she refused to accept her city was mine, telling me that I had to prove myself by going to the Dragon's Den.

In the next Log, we will prove ourselves to Clair, taking ownership of Blackthorn City. Until the next time, we will be seeing you!

Log #32-Dragon Den
  • Dragon's Den.jpg
    Dragon Den
    I headed to Dragon's Den so I could get my Rising Badge from Clair. Unfortunately, Slowbro can't learn Whirlpool or Waterfall. Feraligatr could learn Whirlpool but not Waterfall. Feraligatr was given Whirlpool, which allowed me to go through the event. I got a Dratini that had Extremespeed by giving the "Twerp" answers. Upon leaving, I got the Rising Badge. Elm also called, giving me the Master Ball, which I went to collect.

In order to be able to move forward, I need a Pokemon that can use Whirlpool & Waterfall. I am going to be training the Red Gyarados to match my Team. Gyarados is going to take the place of Slowbro when I use him, mainly as a swap in.

What are we going to do to move forward is trying to catch the Legendary Beasts. Both Umbreon & Crobat learn Mean Look at Level 42, the only way to get the Legendary Beasts to stay. In the next Log, we will be attempting to catch Raikou & Entei. Until the next time, we will be seeing you!

So, I Found Out Something...
  • pokemon-go-legendary-dogs-rotate_feature.jpg
    So, I am still training Gyarados to Level 40 so I can use it and Max Repels to get Entei & Raikou. I am at Level 33 right now. Anyway, on to what I found out...

Turns out, in Crystal, the only way to go after Ho-Oh is to capture ALL 3 LEGENDARY BEASTS,get through the Hall of Fame, and get the Rainbow Wing.

I just think it's crazy that you are practically required to get the Beasts to go after another Legendary, especially since they are hard to pin down. Here is my strategy:
    1. Gyarados & Super Repel to trick them out.
    2. Switch Gyarados for Crobat (Raikou) or Umbreon (Entei).
    3. Mean Look & Chip Damage, involving as many Poke Balls as I can carry. Thinking Ultra and Great Balls.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Log #33-Tohjo Falls
  • Tohjo Falls.jpg
    Ok, so I decided to abandon going after Entei & Raikou. It's just too tricky to get them in Generation II. That means I am likely passing up Ho-oh. However, I might end up gettng them, I just didn't want to wait too long for that next Log.

Tohjo Falls
    As I crossed into Kanto, a man met me, congratulating me on this accomplishment. My Gyarados has Waterfall & Whirlpool (It was dumb that Slowbro couldn't learn either one). :(
    When I traveled past the falls, I battled a few strong trainers and found that the Wild Pokemon are much stronger on this side (Level 30's). Eventually, I found myself at a healing house, then headed to the Victory Road. I think I am going to take some time and boost up my Team using the grass in this area.

My Team For The League:
    1673984619984.png

Levels for the League (My Team is Level 42 right now):
    Machoke (Level 61)
    Moves:
    Strength
    Karate Chop
    Vital Throw
    Submission

Magneton (Level 53)
    Moves:
    Thunder Shock
    Sonic Boom
    Tri Attack
    Zap Cannon

Umbreon (Level 52)
    Moves:
    Faint Attack
    Mean Look
    Confuse Ray
    Shadow Ball

Slowbro (Level 54)
    Moves:
    Surf
    Psychic
    Headbutt
    Confusion

Feraligatr (Level 58)
    Moves:
    Surf
    Ice Punch
    Bite
    Hydro Pump

Crobat (Level 55)
    Moves:
    Fly
    Mean Look
    Wing Attack
    Bite

Honestly, I don't think it will take too long to raise my Team up. I think the last one to level up is going to be Slowbro, since Gyarados is needed for travel across the Waterfall. In the next Log, we will be taking on Victory Road. Until the next time, we will be seeing you!

My Plan Moving Forward
  • Hey Folks!
    My Team is still in development, but I have a plan moving forward, and I want to let you all know so I can continue to get support from all who have been viewing, commenting, and liking these posts, both past and present.

My Future Logs:
    Log #34-Victory Road (Level 50)
    Log #35-Pokemon League (Levels 52-61, depending on Team Member)
    Log #36-Celebi Event (Yes, you can get Celebi in the Crystal VGC)
    Log #37-S. S. Aqua
    Log #38-Murkrow & Houndour

Please look forward to these next Logs, as they are developed. Thank you all for your consistent support. See you all soon!

Log #34-Victory Road
  • Victory Road was a notably empty location, and it was surprisingly easy to get to the end. At the end, I battled Twerp, who was there to train. He taunted me, then we battled. He had an entire Team of 6 Pokemon, and unfortunately, I had to battle him only using 5 Pokemon (sorry Slowbro). Still, Umbreon does better at the job with taking out Psychic & Ghost Types. Anyway, Twerp opened with Sneasel (Level 34), and I opened with Machoke (Level 50). Machoke used Karate Chop, defeating Sneasel. Next for Twerp was Golbat (Level 36), and I changed to Magneton (Level 50). One Thundershock took out Golbat.Twerp brought out his own Magneton (Level 35), and I switched back to Machoke, who defeated Magneton.

Twerp sent out Meganium (Level 38), which made me think that maybe Twerp was trying to find a way to reverse his fortunes. I was not sure if I wanted to send out Feraligatr (Level 50) or Crobat (Level 50), settling on Crobat, who took Meganium down with one Wing Attack. Twerp then sent out Haunter (Level 35) and Kadabra (Level 35), which I used Umbreon (Level 50) for. Umbreon took both of them out using Shadow Ball. Twerp left, and I continued on to the Pokemon League Pokemon Center, where I withdrew Slowbro (Level 50).

Now with my Team set, I am going to finish Training. In order, the Team will be:
    Umbreon-52
    Magneton-53
    Slowbro-54
    Crobat-55
    Feraligatr-58
    Machoke-61

In the next Log, we will be taking on the Elite Four & Champion! Until the next time, we will be seeing you!

Johto Elite Four.jpg

Log #35-Elite Four
  • Before we get this started, I am going to state that the only Pokemon I didn't sit at the planned Level was Machoke, and I settled at Level 55 for it. Other than that, the rest of the Team is the same as the plan.
    Let's Go!

Johto Elite Four.jpg
    Battle #1: Will
    He opened with his first Xatu (Level 40) and I opened with Magneton (Level 53). One Zap Cannon took Xatu down. Next for Will was Exeggutor (Level 41), which I switched to Umbreon (Level 52) for. Umbreon used Shadow Ball, which almost took Exeggutor down, but Exeggutor was able to set up Reflect before Umbreon defeated it. At this point, I got a bit concerned due to the defensiveness. Next for Will was Jynx (Level 41) and Umbreon took it down easily with two Shadow Ball. I think Will was thrown having to try to fight a Dark Type. The final 2 Pokemon for Will were Slowbro (Level 41) and the second Xatu (Level 42) which Magneton used Zap Cannon for. Will was defeated.

Battle #2: Koga
    He opened with Ariados (Level 40) and I opened with Slowbro (Level 54). One Psychic took it down. Next for Koga was Forretress (Level 43), which I changed to Machoke (Level 55) for. In 2 Karate Chops, Forretress fell, but not before it set up Spikes. Venomoth (Level 41), Muk (Level 42), and Crobat (Level 44) all went down to Slowbro and Psychic, though Crobat was able to use Double Team. Koga was defeated.

Battle #3: Bruno
    He opened with Hitmontop (Level 42), and I stayed with Slowbro, though I thought about using Crobat (Level 55). One Psychic took it out, and I was surprised Hitmontop didn't attack first. Hitmonchan (Level 42) struck first with Thunder Punch, which did some damage to Slowbro, but not too much. Slowbro fired back with Psychic, which took it out along with Hitmonlee (Level 42). I changed to Feraligatr (Level 58) for Onix (Level 43). One Surf ended that battle. Last for Bruno was Machamp (Level 46) and Slowbro took it out with a Psychic. Bruno was defeated.

Battle #4: Karen
    She opened with Umbreon (Level 42), and I started with Machoke (Level 55), though I thought about using my own Umbreon. One Karate Chop took it down. Next was Vileplume (Level 42) and I brought out Crobat (Level 55). One Wing Attack took it down. Next was Gengar (Level 45) and I sent out Umbreon. Gengar used Curse, which took out 1/2 of its HP. That was really dumb. One Shadow Ball, and Gengar went down. Next for Karen was Murkrow (Level 44) and I sent out Magneton. One Zap Cannon took it down. Finally was Houndoom (Level 47). I was concerned because if my level was not much higher than it, Houndoom could have swept me. Feraligatr used Surf to take it down. Karen was defeated.

Battle #5: Lance (Champion)
    He opened with Gyarados (Level 44) and I started with Magneton. One Zap Cannon took it down. The three Dragonites (Levels 50, 47, & 47) went down to Feraligatr and Ice Punch. Next for Lance was Aerodactyl (Level 46), where Feraligatr and Aerodactyl exchanged blows. Feraligatr came out on top, but just barely. Finally for Lance was Charizard (Level 46). Feraligatr took it down, and I beat Lance! I am now the Pokemon League Champion!

In the next Log, we will do the Celebi Event! Until the next time, we will be seeing you!

Log #36-Celebi
  • 600px-251Celebi_GS.png
    Celebi Event
    Upon becoming the Champion, I elevated to Admin level. There are several steps to this event.
    1. Fly to Goldenrod City. Stop in the Pokemon Center. An technology aide on the lower floor gives you the GS Ball.
    2. Fly to Azalea Town and give the ball to Kurt. Wait until Midnight, then Kurt will say "the forest is restless".
    3. Kurt will give the GS ball back, allowing you to go into the Forest. You have to go to the Ilex Forest Shrine. Put the GS Ball at the shrine, and Celebi will appear. Make sure to save!

For this Battle, I had Umbreon, Crobat, Pikachu (Level 28) & Sandslash (Level 22).
    When Celebi appeared, I opened with Pikachu to Paralyze and fight Celebi. It took a bit, but I caught it in an Ultra Ball. I immediately saved. Kurt met up with me, talking about the truth of the Shrine.

It was amazing to do this event, since it wasn't available in the Cartridge version. In the next Log, we are going on the S. S. Aqua to Kanto! Until the next time, we will be seeing you!

Log #37-S. S. Aqua
  • SS_Aqua_HGSS.png
    I got my Main Team set, then flew from Azalea Town to Olivine City, deciding to take on the S. S. Aqua. The good thing is that on the ship you can do some recovery through having your own cabin! In the S. S. Aqua, there are two major quests.
    1. The Old Man & The Missing Granddaughter
    2. The Lazy Sailor

It took a bit to clear the Trainers. In Gen II, you can constantly rebattle the Trainers on the ship every time you take the ship, so it is good for training. I completed both quests, arriving at Vermillion City, our first step in Kanto.

In the next Log, we will be going to get Houndour & Murkrow. Both are available at Route 7 at night. Until the next time, we will be seeing you!

Log #38-Houndour & Murkrow
  • 600px-0228Houndour.png

600px-0198Murkrow.png
    Heading north from Vermilion City, then heading west while heading through Saffron City, we arrived at Route 7, which is just outside of Celadon City. I camped out there (it was still daytime when I arrived), waiting for the moon to rise. Why? Houndour & Murkrow only come out at night. Night in Gen II starts at 8 PM.

Houndour
    Houndour is a Dark & Fire Type. Admin Archer had one when I battled him. Houndour is a great dual Type. Honestly, this is the longest I have gone without having a Fire Type. Houndour evolves into Houndoom at the low level of 24. I caught it at Level 18. The best moves for Houndour are:
    Bite (Level 20)
    Faint Attack (Level 27)
    Flamethrower (Level 35)
    Crunch (Level 43)
    I will keep Houndour from evolving until Level 44.

Murkrow
    Murkrow took a bit to catch, but it has a low catch rate. Unfortunately, it does not evolve in Gen II. I am just keeping it in the box.

In the next Log, we will take on Lt. Surge & Sabrina for control of Vermilion & Saffron Cities. Until the next time, we will see you!

Back
    Top Bottom