• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Where do they put it?

Ash's Pika Pal

Reaction score
How do Pokemon store water in themselves and squirt it out? I mean how can a tiny Squirtle send more water out that's heavier then it is. I'm talking about hydropump.

Also, how can non-water Pokemon store water inside themselves. Jigglypuff, anyone?

Water Pokemon have a circular respiratory system. When they breathe in through their noses, they draw in a mixture of hydrogen and oxygen. Some oxygen is drawn into the lungs so that the Pokemon can breathe, and the rest is siphoned off to a special organ near the lungsthat pressurizes the mixture and compresses it into water. The pressurized water then travels back past the lungs and is shot out at high force, with an added boost due to the build-up of carbon-dioxide created from the natural breathing cycle.

In other words, I have absolutely no idea.

I think the the Pokeworld has it's own Force/aura/energy surrounding and penetrating it, and the pokemon draw energy from it and turn it into some element. The stronger a pokemon gets, the more easily it can access this energy field and turn it into water/fire/electricity/whatever.

I like that theory, it makes for good fic-fodder. ^.^
Maybe they just have special glands within their throats, you know, with hydrogen and it mixes with the oxygen they breathe in to create water. That would explain why they always seem to inhale deeply before they use an attack.

How do Pokemon store water in themselves and squirt it out? I mean how can a tiny Squirtle send more water out that's heavier then it is. I'm talking about hydropump.

Also, how can non-water Pokemon store water inside themselves. Jigglypuff, anyone?
Who ever said it came out of the mouth?

As far as Squirtle goes, it is the mouth.

I think Matkin22's cleared it up for us as far as that. As for Surf, I'm supposing we'll have to go with the aura. Or perhaps it can only be used in controlled environments?

As for Surf, I'm supposing we'll have to go with the aura. Or perhaps it can only be used in controlled environments?

Well, while Surf is a very common move in the games, it is very rare in the anime; I can only remember it being used twice to date, by Lola's Mantine in the Chronicles episode, and by Kyogre against Groudon.

We've also never seen the move used on land in the anime, which leads me to believe that when Surf is used in the anime, it can ONLY be done by a water Pokemon. My theory is that since their type embodies the element, they have the power to control the element for a limited radius.

Example: Mantine uses Surf. As a Water-type Pokemon, it can (partially) dissolve it's body into the water in order to control the water. How is this done? Through slight electrical fields (similar to aura's I think). The greater the energy of the Pokemon, the larger the electrical field, and the greater range a Pokemon has to control the element. This could also explain why a move like Overheat is less effective over time, because the move uses a huge amount of energy and the user will have less control of the attack over time.

For Ice-types using water-type attacks (Articuno using Water Pulse), it isn't really a huge surprise since ice is just frozen water. When it comes to an Absol using Water Pulse, though, I'm completely stumped.

A Remoraid Misty battled just before the Whirl Cup also used Surf. You definately need to be in the water for that one.

A physical ability to use attacks within your type (such as Pichu storing electricity) would be a good explanation for STAB in the games. As for using attacks outside your type... I wonder how much the world's researchers have worked out.

Please note: The thread is from 17 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom