• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Nostalgia

Holy crap, no.
I really, really dont.

Yes, they were good times. Yes, they were good games.
But the games improve with every generation. They are better, more entertaining, prettier, more involved and more impressive now than every before.

Not Red and Blue specifically, but Until the release of HGSS I did miss the days of Gold and Silver.

Going through the early routes with Cyndaquil once again was fun =-)

Yes I do, but that doesn't mean I want it to go back to that time nor am I stuck in it.

I miss seeing kids trade cards on the bus because my school promptly banned them (and GB/Cs) once Pokémon got big. I miss how it felt simpler then, considering most 10 year olds don't give a damn about the IVs or a pokémon or whether it was shiny or not (I still really don't, but whatever). I miss taking out the old gameboy link cable and playing or trading with my sister (I still wonder where that thing went). Though I don't miss the non-backlit consoles, I wonder now how I was even able to see the screen half the time! xD

The time of gen1 and gen2 have some very good memories that are important to me. Without where it started, Pokémon wouldn't be what it is today, nor without these experiences would I be who I am today. I don't want it to forever be the time of red and blue, but I remember the times fondly. I do miss the simplicity of elementary school times though, everything is so complicated (and not just in terms of Pokémon, but everything in general) these days it seems; it would be nice to return to a similar sort of simplicity.

But the games improve with every generation. They are better, more entertaining, prettier, more involved and more impressive now than every before.

That is a matter of opinion.

(I personally did not like Gen3 nearly as much as previous generations, however I did like Gen4, so don't go off and just say I'm some nostalgia fag or whatever. I'm merely stating the games getting consistently better and especially 'more entertaining' is a matter of opinion)

I still play them when I want to play a Pokémon game that's simple (not in a bad way, in a good way :3)

I play Yellow over FRLG, but then again, Yellow is of all the PKMN games I have played my second least favorite.

I miss the impact Pokemon had on the world then, the excitement of looking to the future of the anime before we realized what a pattern it would fall into, walking into any given store and having it cluttered with Pokemon merchandise, everyone and their mother owning one of the handhelds and wanting to battle on Stadium, dozens of animation cels at a time on eBay, some selling for ten to twenty bucks because of the incredible supply to match the demand, the movies being in theaters, being able to fly to New York and enter the magical world of the Pokemon Center... yes, I think I do miss it. Not the games themselves, as I would rather play SoulSilver instead of Silver, as an example, but the times themselves and how Pokemon influenced things. Nowadays it's just another repetitive Saturday morning show with a miniscule half-aisle of merchandise in Toys R Us that kids have as one of many hobbies instead of an obsession and the teens play while pretending they aren't. Pokemon has proved to be more than just a fad, but after Gen 2 things really went downhill in terms of mass popularity. It's still one of many successful children's (I use this term very loosely) gaming franchises, but it used to be the absolute dominater (FAKE WORD ALERT!) of sales in every area conceivable. I don't feel we've lost much with the games, but I think as an overall franchise Pokemon has truly taken a nosedive. Even the anime, despite its (smaller) current following, shows once every weekend morning on Cartoon Network instead of several times a day, every day, like it used too. Granted it's also on Boomerang for a while now, but that's an incredibly recent development.

Why is it that Pokemon fans cannot let go of the past? I have fond memories of playing back in 1998 like you all did, but I don't care that time is over.

Pokemon was always going to lose fad status. Most real-life fads do not last past 2-3 years.

I respect Gen.I, but I think the new games are way, way better. Better graphics, better storyline, better methods of training and trading, better all around. Do I miss them? Sure, but I won't rage over how much better they were when, really, the new games are better.

i miss the old days, mainly because it was simple,

but, i also love the newer generations as well.

here's what i think:
you can always treasure the past, but learn to embrace the future.

i went by the philosophy, and guess what, it paid off, to be honest i love Pokemon in general. so it really doesn't matter to me about the past. but its always good to have a look back.

Not at all. Battles might have been fun, but having your game erased very often for no good reason wasn't. And it wasn't just my bootleg Gold, but also my original Blue. :/

Plus, 3rd Generation renewed my love for Pokémon beyond all expectations, after my horrible experience with Gen 2. Nowadays I enjoy 4th Gen a lot once they got the better games out, and just go back to 3rd Gen ocasionally.

I still have my Blue, but don't play it anymore. I was never one for nostalgia. Never saw the point.

Why is it that Pokemon fans cannot let go of the past? I have fond memories of playing back in 1998 like you all did, but I don't care that time is over.

Our past makes us who we are. Just because that time is over does that mean we have to let go of what makes us who we are? This isn't just about Pokémon, but about everything. Nostalgia and holding dear the memories of your past does not mean you don't embrace the future either. People find different things of importance to hold dear, sure, but why does our choice to hold dear the memories of Red and Blue a bad thing.

What you're implying is to hold no regard for the past and give no importance to the experiences that make you and I who we are. Personally that seems completely illogical and not something some one should practice.

edit: This definition of nostalgia best fits what I think of the time of Gen1/2:
"a sentimental yearning for the happiness of a former place or time"
It has nothing to do with wanting it to be the 90s again, but for that sort of happiness of that time.

Aaaaand probably only a few of you care what I just said because I went into philosophical babble. =3= Whatever.

I can admit I've got some massive nostalgia for the first gen and GSC era. The simplicity and the humble beginnings take me back to when I was just a kid and my biggest concern was whether my team could handle my friends, or when Ash would get his next badge.

Hey wait a minute, I'm still doing that a decade later. Well, now I gotta feel bad for letting this game take up so much of my time :disgust:.

I really do, thats why the GB Sounds have been so fufilling. Although sometimes it's the same music only lower quality, not original.

I still play RBY every once in a while and i'm actually working on a Red hack. Sure I miss those days, I was young and didn't have any worries in the world but in the words of John Mellencamp "life goes on".

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom