• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Nostalgia

I never actually nostalgiaed over RBY that much. Maybe its cause I was so young when I played them, I really don't remember doing it. But I really can;t play them for long nowadays... just doesn't feel fun to me.

I always got much more nostalgic over GSC. I awaited HG/SS for like years, even before it was confirmed there would even be remakes

:lol:

Yes I do, but that doesn't mean I want it to go back to that time nor am I stuck in it.

I miss seeing kids trade cards on the bus because my school promptly banned them (and GB/Cs) once Pokémon got big. I miss how it felt simpler then, considering most 10 year olds don't give a damn about the IVs or a pokémon or whether it was shiny or not (I still really don't, but whatever). I miss taking out the old gameboy link cable and playing or trading with my sister (I still wonder where that thing went). Though I don't miss the non-backlit consoles, I wonder now how I was even able to see the screen half the time! xD

The time of gen1 and gen2 have some very good memories that are important to me. Without where it started, Pokémon wouldn't be what it is today, nor without these experiences would I be who I am today. I don't want it to forever be the time of red and blue, but I remember the times fondly. I do miss the simplicity of elementary school times though, everything is so complicated (and not just in terms of Pokémon, but everything in general) these days it seems; it would be nice to return to a similar sort of simplicity.

That is a matter of opinion.

(I personally did not like Gen3 nearly as much as previous generations, however I did like Gen4, so don't go off and just say I'm some nostalgia fag or whatever. I'm merely stating the games getting consistently better and especially 'more entertaining' is a matter of opinion)

This.

I would play RBY and GSC over Generation IV any day.

QFT. I don't give a damn crap about most of the Pokemon stuff nowadays. Things like IVs, EVs, natures and tiers. I absolutely love Generations I and II. Pokemon was simple, everyone loved it, and each Mon was different and useful. Especially Stadium 2. God, how I love that game. Just like Midnight Blue, Stadium provided endless, endless fun. I'm still having Stadium parties, training my Gold team, and remembering my battles with cousins and having them help me train the Pokemon Brown they gave me. Generation 5, as much as I'm hyped for it, will probably never triumph over the old games in my mind.

And just a note for my cousins:If you're reading this, I've named my Legendary Beasts after you.Trevor is Entei, Donny is Suicune and Grayson is Raikou.

I'm sorry, I'm getting a tear in my eye from typing this and remembering...which reminds me of how I gotta chuck my DS and Pearl in the trash right now.

I can't say I'm nostalgic for Red and Blue. They're pretty god damn awful compared to what we have today, and looking back I don't even know what I saw in the first generation.

Gold and Silver were miles ahead of what Gen I started, but even those ones are pretty painful to play these days.

Things like IVs, EVs, natures and tiers.

You realize most of this stuff was there back then? Except for natures and abilities. EVs are different than DVs, yes, but the concept remains similar. Actually, the way IVs were done and how they were tied to PID is much worse than they are now and yes people played Pokemon competitively back then so there were tiers.

Anyways, I like both the old and the new. They have their pros and cons and I have fond memories of all generations, and I look forward to every coming one to see what new changes they will bring. I mostly miss RBY for the glitches lol but they're pretty minor compared to some other games these days *cough*Oblivion*cough*.... The old console games like the Stadiums and Colosseum/XD were unequivocally the best though.

Last edited:
I can't really say that I do miss Red and Blue. I'll admit, they were the first Pokemon games I ever played, and they were one of the things that got me into Pokemon, but the fact is that they were just a couple of games.

Wow... I remember all of those silly little rumors from way back when, such as Mewthree and other stuff. ._.

I guess I'm just not all that much for nostalgia. XD

I never played the games until Ruby, and never watched the anime. But, at the same time, I miss what Pokemon was back then. The plot of the games was more of a sandbox sort of thing. When I played through Ruby's plot, I found myself ignoring the huge drought going on and just training the Pokemon I liked.

I remember other kids playing the games at my school. I never played with them back when I had the chance, but looking back on it, it would have been nice to have something to talk to them about back then.

Pokemon was very commerciallized back then... but the games were an exception. They were what video games were supposed to be. They were fun for everyone. They weren't relying on anything else to hype them up when they were created. They were just fun on their own. Nowadays, the anime and the games and everything else is too deeply connected for one to exist without the others.

My favorite gen was definitely 3rd. I don't get the hype over the first games. I mean, they were new and when it was most popular ..but it wasn't all that great. The new games have definitely improved.

I don't know... I never played any Gen. 1 game until a few months ago... but I loved my Pokemon Stadium game as a child and my Crystal version was my best friend... I miss those days. *Tears up*

I have never played a Gen I game...I recently lost the save file when my battery died in Silver, and I kind of wish I'd gotten to play Crystal.

But now that I have HeartGold, I'm not so stuck on either anymore.

I've never played a Gen 1 game, but I started with Gen 2. Even then, I never get nostalgic unless I hear Ecruteak's music.

Heck, I get more nostalgic over the Gen 3 games than I do GSC. And who knows how nostalgic I'll be when I play DPPt sometime in the distant future.

Yes, I miss RBY so much. Same as GSC.

I miss back then because Pokemon seemed to have such a different feel to what it does now.

I miss paying three dollars for a pack of twelve cards (here, it is now seven dollars for about nine or ten), and I miss getting up extra early just to watch the simple cartoon.

I miss when gengar was the scariest-looking creature to come across on the games.

However, I am so entranced by the new games. RSE was absolutely amazing, and I loved every second of it. FRLG was a disappointment for me. . . DPP also failed, but the graphics were incredible.

And I am absolutely adoring HGSS. Loving it almost as much as I did GSC. Difference is the 8-bit music was so much better (and natures did not exist), but now I have RBY/GSC soundtracks, so everything is okay now. ^^

Am also very much looking forward to gen5. Loving how it is looking so far.

Miss the old times so much (and sometimes wish that I could re-experience picking up a gameboy for the first time once again), but I am looking so forward to what is being created now.

Pokemon was a lot easier to understand back then but i don't miss it

I enjoy the memories that Gen I has, but I definently don't miss the games themselves. I love all of the new Pokemon and other additions to the current games. In my opinion, everything from the anime to the manga has also improved now. I only wish that more people around me played the TCG anymore. It was nice when everyone was into pokemon.

Yeah, EVs and IVs did exist, but from what I can tell, nobody really cared about them. So what if a Pokemon's IVs gave it naturally bad speed? You'd just adjust that mon's strategy a little or don't do anything at all. And yeah, there were tiers, mainly for GSC, but not everybody was just gonna pick top tier mon's and then use those. As for RBY tiers, Mewtwo and Jolteon say hi.

I don't miss those days. It was excellent back then but it is much better now. Every generation of Pokemon has improved for me and I love how complex and massive it has gotten to be with (after b&w) at least 500+ Pokemon and tons more moves and the best changes like the distinction between Special Attack and Special Defense, the distinction between Physical and Special moves, Day and Night (though it went away very briefly), online play, and more since the first generation of Pokemon have made it better than gen 1.

Don't get me wrong though. I still love it. In fact I had my original GB out, popped four good batteries in and played my old copy of Red version for a while the other day, and I plan to mess with it again for a few minutes every so often. Nostalgia is fun but no one should use it as blinders when approaching the new.

Of course, the newer games are definitely better than the older ones. Many of you people seem to think that those of us that yearn for the feeling of happiness, wonder, and adventure that we had while playing Gen I and II are blinded by our memories.

I remember contemplating who to evolve my Eevee into out of the three different evolutions and accidentally using the water stone on it. I played my old Crystal version about week ago and remembered thinking "wow, I've finally gotten all 151. I can't wait to catch the 100 new pokemon! A HUNDRED NEW POKEMON!!"

That's nostalgia. It isn't wanting to play only the old nineties games while forsaking the newer ones. I still play all my older games on my NES-style GBA SP. I do NOT want to relive "How the hell will I even see game boy screen while playing Blue Version with my cousin?". But don't take me wrong. I love my newer games. While some people take pride in having a low game-time, I take pride in having the highest out of all the ones I've seen.

Our happy memories are what make us who we are. Don't put us down just because you never experienced the sense of wonder exploring Kanto and Johto, discovering new pokemon, places, opponents, and feeling adrenaline while facing your rival at the end of Gen I. And of course, I'll never forget facing the most powerful trainer in the world at the end of Gen II... me.

Last edited:
I miss the days where everyone played Pokemon, and that they had no shame in doing so. The closest I've been to that is a class I was in during my junior year of high school and college. I miss my friends and classmates talking about the fake cheats, how to get to the grass west of Pallet Town, etc. I wouldn't want to relieve these days, however. But, these memories are dear to me and I do miss these days.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom