• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW005: Sanyou Gym! VS Baoppu, Hiyappu and Yanappu!!

I think that she hangs around him to watch him be a noob, not knowing about his epic battles to save the world.
Agreed. She probably recognizes he has some skill, but still considers him a n00b and a kid. She doesn't seem like the type to keep up with leagues, much less those in other regions possibly all the way on the other side of the world.

Well, the fire trainer has awesome hair... Actually, I think his brother's have better hair than him... But he looks the simplest to draw...

I also imagine the blue-haired one wasn't chosen because the last thing we need is another water trainer on the main cast.

We've never had a grass type trainer, and fire was more or less covered by May and Charizard/Infernape.

No,I'm pretty sure he was chosen because he is the leader of the three(In the games,the order they are always has Dento in the center.Is Corn-Dent-Pod,until they switch to battle the player.Also,he was in the center of the first corcoro scans that revealed them.Not to mention he was the first gym leader revealed along with Aloe....)

I also imagine the blue-haired one wasn't chosen because the last thing we need is another water trainer on the main cast.

We've never had a grass type trainer, and fire was more or less covered by May and Charizard/Infernape.

Lol! Can you imagine Misty fans saying it's an insult that there'd be a male water trainee who had beat Ash? =_= I can see it now...

Yeah, well, Ash has had always handled the fire pokemon quite well...

But it does make sense what the other user said, him being the leader of the three. •_• But technically how can there be a leader since they only choose to battle based off your starter?

I'm split over the episode to be honest. I like the battles, even though they seemed really short. I also hate the fact that Pikachu lost. Not because he tied with a legendary prior to the start of this series, but because he looked like a complete joke here. I'm expecting another lost confidence storyline if this continues which I wouldn't mind at all since Pika hasn't had some focus in quite a while.

Team Rocket barely did anything today, and luckily didn't bog down the gym battle with random play-by-play. Good to see they're finally moving out with their plans next week.

Count me in as another unimpressed with Dento. It may only be one episode, but he didn't strike me as anything special unlike Iris. So far, the feeling of him being a Brock stand-in is very strong. Hopefully, that goes away soon.

Count me in as another unimpressed with Dento. It may only be one episode, but he didn't strike me as anything special unlike Iris. So far, the feeling of him being a Brock stand-in is very strong. Hopefully, that goes away soon.

It is important to consider that during this episode and half of the next, Dent is one member of a set of three. Other than his association with Ash and Iris outside the gym before the match, it doesn't strike Dent any differently from his two brothers. We've barely scratched the surface for Dent in terms of functionability or even personality.

This episode reminds me exactly why I rather not watch Japanese episodes, at least without subs. Total lack of understanding about what anything anyone's saying (other than "oh, they're probably talking about this...I think?") and missing a lot of in-dialogue jokes is kinda irritating.

Oh well. This was a pretty good episode anyway. Both battles were decent enough and that entire scene with the Corn Brothers revealing their true identity was amusing. This pretty much sums it up:
The way they walked into the spotlight was AWESOME.

Oh, and Mijumaru with its scaredy-cat personality really is adorable. :lol:

No,I'm pretty sure he was chosen because he is the leader of the three(In the games,the order they are always has Dento in the center.Is Corn-Dent-Pod,until they switch to battle the player.Also,he was in the center of the first corcoro scans that revealed them.Not to mention he was the first gym leader revealed along with Aloe....)

I would imagine that this is the reason they chose Dento. I don't see why hairstyle would matter. I mean, look at Iris. ... I rest my case.

Now onto my review. I think that the episode was great overall. Each of the battles were great, though Hiyappu's battle seemed kind of an ass pull.

Also, lol at Mijumaru.

9/10. Extra points since it was Dento's debut and Baoppu appeared.

The mere fact that he's a new character makes him enjoyable. I'll take this over sitting through Brock for another generation, especially since Croagunk likely wouldn't stay for BW.

But we can't really judge Dento fully yet till he's traveling with Ash and we see what the group dynamics are like.

Pikachu got KOed without getting any real hit in. He's been so weak after the Zekrom drainage, that I am seriously starting to wonder that it's intentional and a plot point later on. That, or the writers are taking the new series nerf to a whole new level.

Also, I love pokabu,the fire starters are always really strong for Ash. I guess the water starter is comic relief for now, but I think he will develop and evolve, and be a awesome pokemon during the pokemon league.

Pikachu also lost in the first Sinnoh Gym too. To an Onix using Screech no less.

I don't see why Pikachu losing is a big deal to some people. I knew it was going to happen before the episode aired. They obviously wouldn't let Pokabu, or Mijumaru lose. Pikachu get's "depowered" each region so it's like Ash is starting fresh.

And as said, I'd rather see Ash's new Pokemon win a battle rather than Pikachu.

What I loved about DP, is that Pikachu was kept out of most of the Gyms or when it was used it didn't star in most of them.

Pikachu used to dominate most Kanto and Johto Gyms back in the day.

I enjoyed this episode very much. Dent, Pod and Corn are awesome and Baoppu, Hiyappu and Yanappu are also awesome. ^_____^

I wouldn't go far as to say that Pikachu is "powered down" every gen, but rather it is Ash insisting on using the same strategy with him that screws them over.

Pikachu is powerful and agile, but he always attacks in a straight-line formation. His opponents will find it easy to counter his attacks. Volt Tackle is also a major factor, as Pikachu has absolutely no control over the move (he cannot stop moving or change direction by himself). Do you know how many times Pikachu lost in a battle because he used Volt Tackle? Ash doesn't go around Pikachu's weaknesses to improve.

Pikachu is also a very frail pokemon and he lost a handful of Kanto and Johto gym battles back in the day, if I recall.

The last thing the writers feel they should do is to give Pikachu a definite victory during a gym match. They want Ash's newer set of pokemon to shine.

And as said, I'd rather see Ash's new Pokemon win a battle rather than Pikachu.

What I loved about DP, is that Pikachu was kept out of most of the Gyms or when it was used it didn't star in most of them.

Pikachu used to dominate most Kanto and Johto Gyms back in the day.

Well, this is also questionable for the new viewers who hasn't seen the previous sagas yet. Pikachu will need to learn new attacks if he won't use the defensive techniques learned from DP (spiral evasion and counter shield for examples).

This gym is incredibly unique as it starts out as a restaurant. I should have known this, since the 3 are dressed as waiters. I was thinking they could have used this as a battle zone. Too bad there wasn't an option of a triple battle here. Still, against 3 Gym Leaders is more exciting than the usual 1.

Mijumaru will either lose to that Kame... er, Solar Beam or reflect it with his shell. Whether he wins or not will be answered next week.

I wouldn't go far as to say that Pikachu is "powered down" every gen, but rather it is Ash insisting on using the same strategy with him that screws them over.

I don't think it has anything to do with Ash's stragety. He uses the same one, and will likely keep using it forever. Plot determines if it works, in the same way plot resets Pikachu, and Ash to a lesser extent. For instance, where was counter-shield?

If Pikachu can survive hits, and surive to tie with a Latios there's no reason it should lose to a Pokemon signigicantly weaker than a legendary, aka a base form. Same can be said of the Elekid, and Tsutarja loses really. Like you said the writers don't want Pikachu outshinig any of the new captures. It's made weaker than it is at the end of every region.

Last edited:
I dunno. Battle-wise, ie. it's ability to take a hit and dish out damage, Pikachu has always been fairly so-so imo. Stuff like beating a Regice or a Latios? They're exceptions to the rule, and are almost always used to either prove something to another character, or play up the 'hey, Pikachu was his first pokemon!' message, in order to make the match more meaningful.

But if you want some kooky fan-interpretation of how it is, the way I see it is this; Pikachu has peaked. It's as strong as it will ever get, and as a diddy little pokemon, without sheer willpower, it's not physically able to take too many hits to begin with.

I think Ash will win! (I hope) There are three leaders, but only three pokemon, right?

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom