• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW005: Sanyou Gym! VS Baoppu, Hiyappu and Yanappu!!

Lol I just finished seeing the episode. Everytime I see Dento come on view, I think Tamaki-sempai! Lol... If you don't get the reference then... Whatever... He's a lot like I imagined him which mostly came due to the fact of his seiyuu being already in the role of Suoh Tamaki.

I thought he was more Kyouya, he shows out a lot as well. But that prancing was definitively Tamaki to a T. At least there's no Haruhi fight now (unless Iris becomes like her), so no freakouts. :p

They didn't have BS battles in DP like they do now, that's for sure.

Roark's Onix beat Pikachu with Screech...yeah.

So? I have characters I like and I can be disappointed with an episode if I don't feel the writers executed it correctly. I never said Dento would like the girls, just have a relationship with girls, as in, they'll like him. Actually having that which is the opposite of Brock makes it just a stab in the back to Brock fans.

How would it be a stab in the back to Brock fans? All Brock fans understand that he can never get the girl and whenever he thinks he does, she already has someone or if they honestly like him, they think he's too good for them or he's completely unattracted to them. That's a part of being a Brock fan.

It's a running gag.

It's like Nick Strokes on CSI. It's a running gag that everytime he goes on a date, someone gets hurt. If a new character replaces him and goes on date without someone getting hurt, it's not written to stab anybody in the back.

This just reminds me of how everyone complained about Dawn's Togekiss, saying it was an insult to Misty.

If Iris wears a pink skirt, is that an insult to Dawn fans?

Besides, Dento is full of spirit and his personality is considered more cool, princely-like (like Suoh Tamaki-sempai)... Brock's was calm, calculating, and mature...

And everybody is smart compared to Ash.

You could arguably say that Brock was in the DP series for no real reason. Dento is a much needed breath of fresh air.

The BW trio already looks like it'll be a much funnier group than the DP trio ever was.

Well, none that I could remember off the top of my head. Besides, normally Onix would win in a fight against most Electric-types.

Pikachu tied against Latios less than ten episodes ago, and wasn't reset for very long (Zekrom returned all of its power, so it's as strong as ever). That fight was just... ugh.

It's still too early to judge the group mechanic until Dent at least squeezes himself in with the other main characters. We've barely got to know the guy by the end of this episode (sharing the spotlight with two other gym leaders). We still do not know why Dent wants to join Ash and Iris in the first place rather than stay at the gym.

I'm not surprised at all that Pikachu lose to Hiyappu. Ash doesn't bother to innovate his strategy with Pikachu, insisting on attacking straight ahead. Mud Sport was a perfect example of how easily stoppable Volt Tackle can be. Move choices play an integral role in a battle. I'd say that if Pikachu were to battle Yanappu and Baoppu, he would have won.

I wonder if Ash will ever get a rematch with the blue-haired one in the future. Or if Ash will simply never beat him, not that it really matters.

You could arguably say that Brock was in the DP series for no real reason. Dento is a much needed breath of fresh air.

The BW trio already looks like it'll be a much funnier group than the DP trio ever was.
With all the fillers DP had, they could have given Brock more focus.

I wonder if Ash will ever get a rematch with the blue-haired one in the future. Or if Ash will simply never beat him, not that it really matters.

It doesn't matter,since in reality he was supposed to just beat one.

How would it be a stab in the back to Brock fans? All Brock fans understand that he can never get the girl and whenever he thinks he does, she already has someone or if they honestly like him, they think he's too good for them or he's completely unattracted to them. That's a part of being a Brock fan.

It's a running gag.

It's like Nick Strokes on CSI. It's a running gag that everytime he goes on a date, someone gets hurt. If a new character replaces him and goes on date without someone getting hurt, it's not written to stab anybody in the back.

This just reminds me of how everyone complained about Dawn's Togekiss, saying it was an insult to Misty.

If Iris wears a pink skirt, is that an insult to Dawn fans?

Besides, Dento is full of spirit and his personality is considered more cool, princely-like (like Suoh Tamaki-sempai)... Brock's was calm, calculating, and mature...

And everybody is smart compared to Ash.

This.Just this x28390218319083190283.Specially the Tamaki-sempai part ...it almost feels like Miyano-san is doing it on purpose!;D

I'm not sure if this belongs here...but for the sake of avoiding thread necromancy,I must say how weird I find it that Tabunne is still blacked out in the opening by this point,even through we have already seen it in the series.

I think people would have complained less if the bird battled and lost, instead of Pikachu.

Ash's early bird is usually always weak at the start, and it would have gotten its first battle anyway.

People forget what Taillow and Starly were like at the beginning.

I must say how weird I find it that Tabunne is still blacked out in the opening by this point,even through we have already seen it in the series.

No it hasn't - that was an early promo.
Anyway, I can have my own opinions of this episode, and I didn't like it. Maybe it's just personal issues with what the episode is, or not, I didn't like it.

No it hasn't - that was an early promo.
Anyway, I can have my own opinions of this episode, and I didn't like it. Maybe it's just personal issues with what the episode is, or not, I didn't like it.

Oh?Really?My bad then...I could swear it appeared in episode 2...Oh well. Hopefully the CGI monkeys look good.

I must say how weird I find it that Tabunne is still blacked out in the opening by this point,even through we have already seen it in the series.

When did we see one in the series?

Nurse Joy has only appearance in the second episode and this was after the treatment.

Tabunne is going to make its debut next episode, when Ash heals up his pokemon after the gym battle.

I think people would have complained less if the bird battled and lost, instead of Pikachu.

Of course people would have felt that way; Ash just caught the Mamepato three episodes back and only battled alongside it once. Pikachu has had a rich history of accomplishments and faults.

This is the nonsense that usually follows when Pikachu manages to defeat a legendary pokemon at the end of a previous series yet loses to a "low-leveled" pokemon near the beginning of the next.

This is the logic that follows through with complaining: "Pikachu beats a Latios in the Sinnoh League yet easily loses to a low-leveled Water-type monkey pokemon?"

This battle is proof that (in the anime) strategy takes prevalance over type compatibility. Pikachu was unable to land any hits on Hiyappu because...
1): Hiyappu used Double Team to dodge its attacks.
2): When he tried to use Thunderbolt, Hiyappu immediately used Water Gun to push him back.
3): Hiyappu used Mud Sport when Pikachu charged straight in with Volt Tackle, loosening his traction to the ground.

Mamepato might have stood a better chance against Hiyappu, imho. It's a flying pokemon that is not bound to the ground so it could have dodged Hiyappu's Mud Sport. It would have taken more effort for Hiyappu to counterattack with Scratch as well.

Last edited:
In episode three she said she was showing him around or something since he's new to Isshu, but that's really it. Last week she said she was going to check out the Battle Club as if she could leave him at any time, so maybe she hasn't decided she wants to "permanently" stick around yet?

Or she's just being shy. :crush:

Also, I think the attack that Hiyappu used against Pikachu in the end was Mud Sport, since it produced mud and negated an electrical attack. I think Corn said "Doratomi" or something.

Edit: Oh, someone already figured it out.

I also liked how Pikachu was acting all depressed after the battle.

Pikachu: I lost to a WATER TYPE. I tied against a Latios but lost to a stupid Water Monkey!

Ash: It's okay, sometimes that happens.

Pikachu: HE HAD HIS $&%*&*#$ EYES CLOSED THE WHOLE TIME!

Ash: Okay, that's just wrong.

Last edited:
When did we see one in the series? Nurse Joy has only appearance in the second episode and this was after the treatment.

Tabunne is going to make its debut next episode, when Ash heals up his pokemon after the gym battle.

Of course, Ash just caught the Mamepato three episodes back and only battled alongside it once.

This is the nonsense that usually follows when Pikachu manages to defeat a legendary pokemon at the end of a previous series yet loses to a "low-leveled" pokemon near the beginning of the next.

"Pikachu beats a Latios in the Sinnoh League yet loses to a low-leveled Water-type monkey pokemon?"

This battle is proof that (in the anime) strategy takes prevalance over type compatibility. Pikachu was unable to land any hits on Hiyappu because 1): Hiyappu used Double Team to dodge its attacks. 2): When he tried to use Thunderbolt, Hiyappu immediately used Water Gun. 3): Hiyappu used Mud Sport when Pikachu charged straight in with Volt Tackle, loosening his traction to the ground.

Think he's talking about the previews

Or she's just being shy. :crush:

Also, I think the attack that Hiyappu used against Pikachu in the end was Mud Sport, since it produced mud and negated an electrical attack. I think Corn said "Doratomi" or something.

that was Mud sport

When did we see one in the series? Nurse Joy has only appearance in the second episode and this was after the treatment.

As Bubblewrap already said,I confused it with the one that appeared in an early preview.

Interesting how Iris isn't "formally" Sato´s companion yet.

Round 1: Pokabu vs. Baoppu
Ash must get reset every generation like Pikachu does. I refuse to believe any other possibilities to his stupidity. And the fight was pure crap. The sad monkey continued to dominate Pokabu until he got the monkey's tail and flung it to a wall. The battle turned completely around and Pokabu walked out seemingly unharmed.
Either you are a Baoppu fan or you hate of the Pikachu vs Hiyappu battle somehow seeped into this part of your post, because I can't see how this fight was pure crap, it was awesome, and unless you're a rabid Poddo/Baoppu fan (or loathe Pokabu) I can't see why anyone would disagree with this battle.

Round 2: Pikachu vs. Hiyappu
"Type advantage? What type adbantage? I'm a level 14 blind kappa-monkey that can spit water and slash faster than a level 5000 mouse can charge Thunderbolt. Volt Tackle, you say? I inherited Mud Sport from my father, so I have no fear."

Didn't land a single blow.
Exactly and you still wonder why Pikachu lost, I mean seriously, how you're supposed to beat a Pokemon when it keeps dodging your attack and counter attacking is beyond me.

They didn't have BS battles in DP like they do now, that's for sure.
How was this BS? Honestly no one is ever going to be satisfied with how a battle turns out. Hiyappu could have a 999 stat in special attack have an ability that powers up ground moves as if it was part ground, Pikachu could have 1 HP, and 0 in Special Defense, and should Hiyappu use Earth Power, people will somehow still call it cheap.

Edit: I just love how when Yanappu scares Mijumaru it looks like Mijumaru is getting its courage (posing as if it can take on the world) only for the next scene to have Mijumaru hiding behind Ash.

GokuPoweringUpKamehameha.jpg

kame1.jpg

I thought he was more Kyouya, he shows out a lot as well. But that prancing was definitively Tamaki to a T. At least there's no Haruhi fight now (unless Iris becomes like her), so no freakouts. :p

lol now that you mention it, his showing off was more like Kyouya. I could see Kyouya as a pokemon trainer, purposely embarrassing another trainer on purpose...

However, he's my new Tamaki-sempai! Now, soon Iris will be the new Haruhi, forced to join his gym and pretend to be one of his brothers!!!! Hehehehe! =_=

I like Ouran High School Host Club way too much!

---//

Onix's screech was epic! So epic that a defensive move became straight up offensive! I always thought that scene was hilarious!

-------

I don't see what everyone's issue about Pikachu's loss today. He didn't reset nor did Ash however, it's shown today that strategy is better than just straight on battling.

When Ash came up with a plan for Pokabu, that's what caused his win. With Pikachu, the other trainer had a set plan and used it to his advantage.

Now, hopefully, Ash's battle with Dento will be awesomely written, directed, and drawn..

He's a Brock clone and there's no denying that.

Denied. Ok... I can tell you're a Brock fan that's miffed that Brock isn't in BW. You're looking at the show through Brock colored glasses and you're looking at reasons to hate Dento. He isn't a Brock clone. You can list all the similarities you can find, but quite frankly they have different personalities and they have different relationships with Ash. The way he interacted with Pikachu was anything but Brock and so forth.

Let go of the past. That doesn't mean forget about Brock, that just means you make a special place for him in your heart and you move on.

"Type advantage? What type adbantage? I'm a level 14 blind kappa-monkey that can spit water and slash faster than a level 5000 mouse can charge Thunderbolt. Volt Tackle, you say? I inherited Mud Sport from my father, so I have no fear."

Didn't land a single blow. They didn't have BS battles in DP like they do now, that's for sure.

Pikachu tied against Latios less than ten episodes ago, and wasn't reset for very long (Zekrom returned all of its power, so it's as strong as ever). That fight was just... ugh.

Where's that facepalm picture when you need it? >___>

Flashback 4 years ago and picture everybody freaking out because Pikachu tied with an Elekid after defeating a Regice, now get back to the present and aaaaah yes... the infamous Pikachu reset crap rears its ugly head again.

Thing is the Regice defeat and the Latios tie had two things in common. For one, both matches featured a Legendary pokemon and second, both matches were pure and utter BS. Glossing over the fact that they were both totally unbelievable and extremely badly written fight, you have to remember something. They are not the norm, they are the exception. Neither is an indicator of Pikachu's regular battle prowess (Note the lack of the use of the word level which do not exist in the anime). Pikachu is stronger than the average Pikachu and is a pretty good pokemon, but he's not unbeatable as was proven by the fact that he wasn't able to do anything to Paul's Aggron, that it took all he had to defeat Paul's Froslass before getting demolished by Electivire. Oh yeah, those were the three episodes before the Latios match.

The anime has consistantly proven that with the right strategy you can overcome a type disadvantage and defeat stronger opponents. Today, Ash proved that by defeating Pod and Corn proved that by defeating Ash. That's it.

I said it before and I'll say it again. You have to look past the result and look at the battle. Corn had a plan to counter all of Ash's attacks and made Ash's speed base strategy work against him. He made smart use of defensve status moves and outsmarted Ash. Simple as that.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom