• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you want more or less New Pokémon Species in Generation 7 and beyond?

When I first heard of the lower number of new Pokemon, I was pretty disappointed. I was hoping for a hundred new Pokemon, or at least a bit closer to that than we actually got. After awhile though, I didn't mind it so much because most of the Pokemon have really good designs, even some of the ones that I didn't like at first grew on me over time and there were a lot of cool new type combinations. I didn't even mind that the early routes had more older Pokemon than the newer ones. It felt kind of refreshing to me to see so many Pokemon from different generations available right from the start. Although, a better balance of new and older Pokemon like what Hoenn had might have been nice. I don't really count the Mega Pokemon as new Pokemon, even though they probably do, since they're more like upgraded alternate forms rather than a new Pokemon.

In regards to future generations, I would prefer about a hundred or so new Pokemon for next generation, but I wouldn't necessarily mind having another relatively small batch of new Pokemon if their designs are as appealing as most of the sixth generation Pokemon are. I do hope that they make more Fairy type combinations since that was something I was really looking forward to in this generation. There were a few, but mostly with older Pokemon and I wanted to try out brand new Fairy Pokemon more than most of the retyped Fairy types.

I do hope that they make more Fairy type combinations since that was something I was really looking forward to in this generation. There were a few, but mostly with older Pokemon and I wanted to try out brand new Fairy Pokemon more than most of the retyped Fairy types.

Yeah, I'd like to see more Fairies as well. They need to make some stronger ones if they want to be able to nerf Dragon.

I'm happy with them keeping the numbers of new species down at the X/Y level, if they decide they need to. There are so many Pokemon already... and to me at least, it didn't feel like there were a limited amount in Gen 6. There always seemed to be something new around the corner. Not much lower than this level, though.

It helps that Gen 6 is one of my favourites for new species. If they have to choose quality or quantity (they may not have to), I'd prefer they went with quality.

For Generation VII and beyond, I'd prefer that there be at least 100 new Pokemon. Especially if there's more variety for each type unlike in the smaller number that are in this generation. With just 70, the variety was missing and this generation felt like a combined-Pokemon generation instead of a new one with the ton of old Pokemon in the new games in ratio to the newer ones.

While I'd rather see more Mega Evolution explored and absolutely no new legendaries added there are a few Pokemon that come to mind. Eevee could use a Normal, Fighting, Steel, Rock, Ground, bug and Ghost evolution. Some useless Pokemon could do with an overhaul, like giving Dunsparce an evolution. The little potato bug has had it bad for a long time. Crystal Onix as well as cross-element forms of other Pokemon whose physical attributes might be effected by their surroundings. Also, how about moves that have a percentage of cross-element attributes, like making the move Scald count as 75% Water, 25% Fire.

While I'd rather see more Mega Evolution explored and absolutely no new legendaries added there are a few Pokemon that come to mind.

They at least need new legendaries to use as mascots, which is what happened this gen. So I don't think they could do any less.

While I'd rather see more Mega Evolution explored and absolutely no new legendaries added there are a few Pokemon that come to mind.

They at least need new legendaries to use as mascots, which is what happened this gen. So I don't think they could do any less.

Yeah I definitely don't see Game Freak giving Legendary Pokémon the shaft anytime soon. I really wanted a Fairy quartet this generation based on the four elements...

1) Water - Water/Fairy
2) Fire - Fire/Fairy
3) Earth - Ground/Fairy
4) Air - Flying/Fairy

Also on the subject of mascots I will say that it could perhaps be nice if they shook things up next generation and went a different route with the box arts.

More species is always welcomed.

It was somewhat disappointing to discover that Generation 6's new Pokemon aren't as plentiful as previous. If it were 90+ it would be decent. I suppose if you take into account that almost 30 Mega-Evolutions it would reach that number, but I am expecting some more original stuff.

For me, I would put around 115 new Pokemon for Generation 7 as the sweetspot, give or take up to 10 of them. This does not count Mega-Evolutions, though I wouldn't mind more of them.

Thanks for reading.

Yeah I definitely don't see Game Freak giving Legendary Pokémon the shaft anytime soon. I really wanted a Fairy quartet this generation based on the four elements...

1) Water - Water/Fairy
2) Fire - Fire/Fairy
3) Earth - Ground/Fairy
4) Air - Flying/Fairy

Also on the subject of mascots I will say that it could perhaps be nice if they shook things up next generation and went a different route with the box arts.

Oh my. That does sound like an interesting concept indeed! *___* And for the first time, instead of a trio we will have a Legendary Quartet!

My favorite type is bug. >.< So when I found out Vivillon was the only new bug type I went CRAZY D: But then I found out about how it has different patterns from different parts of the world...... and I realized that Vivillon is basically 18 bug types in 1! :D So, while I did miss getting new types and animal inspirations in particular (Vivillon is just a plain old butterfly...but that's not it's cool point.) I enjoyed how sixth gen went with quality over quantity. Soo...... actually I think it's all the same to me! Whether they focus more on variety, or focus on a smaller amount, I'm probably going to find something I like. So either more or less is fine.

Though 69 seems a little low indeed, I liked nearly all of the new designs, so not too bothered. It's just, like others said, that the ratio of old to new pokémon was kinda uneven, as the amount of new pokémon in the complete dex was about 15%, which is just really low

I wouldn't mind if the next Gen/Region introduced a low amount of Pokémon (I think 85-105 would be best, cause it's a bit more than Gen VI's, but not a massive amount), but I would like there to be less old Pokémon in the dex/region though, (though if there's a far larger influx of old pokémon post-game, I wouldn't mind)

I'd rather have a lower amount of Pokemon that have a lot of work and thought put into them and are useful than a very high amount of Pokemon with lots of fillers and gimmicks. While the Pikaclones and fillers will never be dropped, at least they're pretty cool this gen. Bunnelby and Fletchling might not seem like much but when evolved and when they have their hidden abilities they are threats to be reconned with. Vivillon I quite like but not just for its patterns (don't get me wrong though, they're awesome and I can't wait till all shiny forms are uncovered) but because I really like its moveset. Powder is a really cool signature move that, while predictable, is still awesome if the opponent is choice-locked into a Fire move and you can outspeed it. Dedenne, while not very useful in combat, is at least showcasing the new type. While I think it could've had a better design, I still like it. This is the first time I've actually liked the regional bat and the first time I liked both fossils a lot. Overall, there's really no Pokemon that I dislike or consider forgettable in gen 6 and hope gen 7 is that way. I'd appreciate a larger amount but as long as quality isn't compromised.

Imo, I thought the Pokemon designs this generation were beautiful. I would be okay with around 50 Pokemon per generation now.
Maybe even less, but I don't want the designs to end. But it will happen someday. :/

I prefer quantity. Quantity allows for so many different looks and designs, even if a lot of people don't agree with me on their appeal. (No love for Amoonguss, guys?) I don't think the number of mons introduced have an impact on the designs, in my opinion. It's more of an individual basis than on a generation as a whole. Plus, Pokemon doesn't exactly have an amazing story to keep me interested; the graphics are nice but they'll never be as impressive as many other games; I'm here for the Pokemon, so the more the merrier. Training new Pokemon gives me a reason to keep playing the games.

I think I'm in agreement with most people in this thread wanting about 90-100 new Pokemon with maybe 10-15 new Mega's.

Seeing a new game with 75-100 new mons is great, mix in the older mons as well, they are all part of the family. The Gen VI line is not over yet I think that GF can pull out another game or two with the current technology in the cart. Something I would love to see them do is give you enough evolutionary items in one game for ALL the evolutions that are catchable in that game. For example if there are 6 mons in a genaration that need XYZ Stone to evolve and you have the ability to catch 3 in your version of the game then there should be 3 XYZ stones findable or questable in your game. This having to go and battle for a random prize that may be the XYZ Stone is rediculous as you usually get 10 ABC Stones to evolve the 1 mon that is catchable in both versions. Another thing I would love to see is more side quests that are optional and available both before and after the endgame stuff. This helps bring a variety to the game and break from the monotony of get a mon, beat a gym, level your team, help the gym leader... beat the gym, level mons... rinse and repeat.

Also on the older mons in the beginning. I love it, I have been playing since before gameboys were in color and have every version of the RPG games. I love having a Pikachu in my party to cover my electric needs. Being able to catch a Pikachu in the early game was more enjoyable for me, having other older mons in the beginning also helps attract and keep older players playing. They will play to catch the mons they had as a kid and they will want to play because their old mons are in the game. Having to wait until the end and also having to learn a whole mess of new species' moves and weaknesses could be a turn off for some adult players, and Nintendo and GF wants both Adult and children to play and enjoy the games. I was 10 when the NES came out, I cherished that little beige box and I still have one. Even tho I have alot of my old NES games on the Wii U, I still turn on the NES and hunt for pieces of the Triforce, and believe it or not my kids would rather play Zelda on the NES than on the Wii U or gameboy advance. It is reasons like that I believe that Nintendo keeps the older mons catchable early in the game. Old guys like me!

Dom

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom