• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you want more or less New Pokémon Species in Generation 7 and beyond?

acually i feel like 72 was perfect for this generation besides we also have to take into consideration the amount of time it toke to give 3d models to the at the time current 649 pokemon and the 72 new ones and i would assume mega evolution's toke just as long to design and get approved as regular pokemon do so if we count megas that brings us to 102 pokemon just 2 over gen 2 despite not having a dex number they should count towards the overall count

I'm not too concerned about the number of Pokemon introduced just as long as there is good variety in the wild Pokemon in general. That's what I really love about Kalos.

As you may well already know we recently got 69 New Species of Pokémon in X and Y (72 with the unreleased Event Legends). While some people were bothered by the decision (myself included) many others were very well pleased with it. I have even started seeing several people around the community asking for even less New Pokémon in any possible future generations. What do you guys think about this whole debacle? What are hoping for in Generation 7? I can understand Game Freak wanting to make fewer less guys this generation. They had to work on creating 3D models for the other 649 Pokémon plus the 72 New Species from Kalos (plus Forms and Mega Evolution's). Also the animations for Attacks and Pokémon-Amie so yeah I don't hold it too much against them. I'm hoping since Game Freak will potentially keep using these models for a while in future games we at least get 100-115 New Pokémon next generation.

Please feel free to share your opinions :)

All of these great 3D models definitely contributed to it. Also I think in game story alludes to that many species went extinct from the war thousands of years ago.

As for next generation I think a good amount would be around Johto/Sinnohs amount of new Pokemon. I think we wont be getting Kanto/Unova amount again though. In turn of having really good looking models and animations we will just have to have less Pokemon. I think its a fair trade. Besides we got mega evolutions. Kinda like new Pokemon right? There will definitely be more in the future. I hope we get more Sinnoh and Unova Pokemon who get mega evolutions.

Also on the subject of mascots I will say that it could perhaps be nice if they shook things up next generation and went a different route with the box arts.

How though? Going back to making the starters mascots wouldn't be a good idea since there'd need to be 3 versions and it wouldn't be as exciting because they're Pokemon you obtain at the beginning. I can't really see any other way to go about doing it.

Also on the subject of mascots I will say that it could perhaps be nice if they shook things up next generation and went a different route with the box arts.

How though? Going back to making the starters mascots wouldn't be a good idea since there'd need to be 3 versions and it wouldn't be as exciting because they're Pokemon you obtain at the beginning. I can't really see any other way to go about doing it.

Version-exclusive Pokemon is one option. Several Pokemon is another, something like the Mystery Dungeon games.

Honestly, I'm a little torn. I think to create a true sense of realistic species variety based on environment, more is better. My only concern is that I'd rather have quality over quantity, but then they could just as easily take a little longer to make 100 great Pokémon imo. For me, encountering as few as two or three new Pokémon for every ten or fifteen battles in some areas was just too much. The fact that that could even happen several times meant that the game felt somewhat stale when it was supposed to be a whole new generation. Some old species being present is understandable and even desirable, but it just makes me feel a little bit like I have been cheated out of a genuinely new experience when the very centre point of the game - the Pokémon themselves - aren't overwhelmingly new and appearing much more often than their older counterparts in any area. Ideally in the next couple of generations I'd like 100 completely new Pokémon and maybe 20-40 old ones, there almost more as cameo species in certain areas than as large populations. But I do believe that sooner or later they're going to have to slowly reduce the number of new Pokémon each generation unless they want to end up with numerous blatant redesigns of existing species. Still, a girl can dream...

A larger amount of new Pokemon doesn't always have to mean less overall quality, and the same goes the other way around, fewer new Pokemon doesn't necessarily have to mean higher overall quality. It all comes down to personal taste anyway, and people will always think different whenever or not Pokemon are good/bad/interesting etc.

With that being said, I'm not really sure. I think 100-120 something Pokemon is a good number, as I still find 72 to be a tad bit too low.

Then should we agree an optimal number is somewhere in the region of 90 new species, not counting forms and/or mega-evos?

90 would be good. 89 of them new, 1 of them a new Eeveelution. 0 are cross generation evolved/pre-evolved.

Problem? (Troll face, inserts TROLOLOL music, puts up a sign saying "Gamefreak drinks your tears")

I personally like having some cross-gen evolutions. I feel like it links the gens together a bit more or something.

90 would be good. 89 of them new, 1 of them a new Eeveelution. 0 are cross generation evolved/pre-evolved.

Problem? (Troll face, inserts TROLOLOL music, puts up a sign saying "Gamefreak drinks your tears")
How can there be an eeveelution when there are no cross generational evolutions?

Evolution(s) for :

Farfetch'd
Dunsparce
Corsola
Sableye
Plusle
Minun
Castform
Kecleon
The actual way of Luvdisc evolving into Alomomola
Chatot
Audino
Basculins
Stunfisk
Emolga
Female Durant
Pachirisu

I have a message to GF.

Don't say no just give more!

Seriously though we needs the pokes. While I agree there will be a point when there is too many god damn Pokemon and when we're approaching it the Kalos method is our best option. But we ain't that point yet not by a long shot. First we haven't done every type combo yet. Every type combo needs a fully evolved non lengendary pokemon and fairy is gonna slow that dream down. Second GTS byotcho-kun! Seriously besides Legends any noob can get em all with enough patience and breeding one temporary rare over and over. Thirdly they can't be THAT many pokes if people in the meta are complaining bout seeing the same shit over and over if anything that shows we need pokes. If they cool it on the legends they'll be fine. Especially since gen 5 had the best designs.

Version-exclusive Pokemon is one option. Several Pokemon is another, something like the Mystery Dungeon games.

Thing is though, it can't just be any old Pokemon like if they were to make say, Clauncher/Skrelp mascots. It's gotta be something rare and special. I could buy into making nonlegendary mascots if it were something like say, Lucario/Zoroark, something rare and powerful that you're basically given at some point in the story.

To be quite honest, I want more. Somewhere around 90 would be nice as this Gen feels a bit like Gen IV--way too much emphasis placed on the older Pokemon and not enough on the newcomers. The Kalos Pokemon feel so overshadowed as compared to the amount of Megas and all.

If you count Mega Evolutions and Formes (and Furfrou's Trims) we got around 140+ Pokémon. I'm totally ok with that. lol

But let's be real. Every single Pokémon we've gotten this generation looks special. Like they spent a lot of time and love on each design. I haven't felt that way about a crop of Pokémon since Kanto, Johto and Sinnoh. I personally wouldn't mind 70 Pokémon in Generation 7 as long as they have that level of detail and care in every single creature. However, IF they do less than 100 Pokémon, I feel like the regional Dex should only be 120 or so. Like what was the deal with 454 Pokémon, only 69 of which were new? Horrible IMO.

But if they can still do 100+ creatures with this kind of vibe of love and dedication, then I'm all for it! I feel like the anime, the games, the specials, everything we've gotten so far this generation is amazing. It's all been feeling like it did back in the Kanto days. So I feel like Generation 7 will have a lot of new Pokémon. And hopefully be the best Generation to date. And we need a damn dolphin Pokémon like NOW. Kyogre is an orca AKA a whale, and Lanturn is an angler fish. Yet both are the closest thing we have to a dolphin... :'(

However, IF they do less than 100 Pokémon, I feel like the regional Dex should only be 120 or so. Like what was the deal with 454 Pokémon, only 69 of which were new? Horrible IMO.

454 was a little much, yeah, but 120 would be the opposite extreme. If you make the regional dex too small, the game starts to lack variety and you start to get situations like DP's where you only had a handful of options for each type (remember how the only Fire types in the Sinnoh Dex were Infernape and Rapidash? Stuff like that). IMO, the ideal Dex size is around 200-300.

However, IF they do less than 100 Pokémon, I feel like the regional Dex should only be 120 or so. Like what was the deal with 454 Pokémon, only 69 of which were new? Horrible IMO.

454 was a little much, yeah, but 120 would be the opposite extreme. If you make the regional dex too small, the game starts to lack variety and you start to get situations like DP's where you only had a handful of options for each type (remember how the only Fire types in the Sinnoh Dex were Infernape and Rapidash? Stuff like that). IMO, the ideal Dex size is around 200-300.

I didn't really use Fire types in my D/P/Pt playthroughs so I actually never noticed the lack of fire types. #Oops

But both Kanto and Unova had a fairly good balance of types and they both had 150-ish Dexes. I think 210 would be a good size for a Regional Dex. 10 choices for each Pokémon type, plus 30 extra Pokémon just for kicks.

As long as there's a good variety of types in the pool of Pokémon, it shouldn't really matter how big or small the pool is. Kanto brought us the vast majority of Poison types, and yet we still had a decent balance of every other type (except Dark and Steel. Even fairy has a large stake in the original 151 now!) so who knows?

I still want future designs to have as much thought and care put into them as this one did. If we get the first ever batch of 200 Pokémon in Generation 7, I won't mind if they all have the Generation 6 feel lol

I didn't really use Fire types in my D/P/Pt playthroughs so I actually never noticed the lack of fire types. #Oops

But both Kanto and Unova had a fairly good balance of types and they both had 150-ish Dexes. I think 210 would be a good size for a Regional Dex. 10 choices for each Pokémon type, plus 30 extra Pokémon just for kicks.

As long as there's a good variety of types in the pool of Pokémon, it shouldn't really matter how big or small the pool is. Kanto brought us the vast majority of Poison types, and yet we still had a decent balance of every other type (except Dark and Steel. Even fairy has a large stake in the original 151 now!) so who knows?

I still want future designs to have as much thought and care put into them as this one did. If we get the first ever batch of 200 Pokémon in Generation 7, I won't mind if they all have the Generation 6 feel lol

Kanto's actually wasn't balanced at all. Even if you ignore the types that were introduced in future generations, there's only one Ghost type and one Dragon type (two if you count Mega Charizard X). Kanto is going to need like, at least 20-30 more Pokemon before it becomes more balanced. Unova barely worked, but I think they intentionally gave us a varied set of new Pokemon because they wanted to have a Pokedex solely comprising of new Pokemon. No other generation works out that nicely, there's always some kind of balance missing. Which is where older Pokemon come in, they fill in the gaps that the new ones can't fill. Anyway, I don't think the "10 Pokemon per type" system would work out nicely either, they should just increase it to whatever number it takes for it to be balanced.

I am a sucker for new pokemon. More poke means more poke for me to love. I love and appreciate every single pokemon species introduced so far. ( even you, Heatran!!)
So, imo the optimal number of new poke introduced each gen is 150 with about 60-100 megas.

Say guys, is there a chance for pokemon Z to introduce new species and a legendary trio? God how much it sucks not to have a trio :(

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom