• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Questions for John Loeffler?

poke07

Reaction score
I have managed to contact John Loeffler and he has agreed to let me ask him several questions!

Post if you have a question for him...and I will pick a few to ask him...and report back.

I'm going to sound really stupid, but...who is John Leoffler? What does he do?

Ok, I did not know who he was so I wikipedia'd him:

John Loeffler (sometimes credited as John Leffler or Joe Loeffler) is a songwriter and record producer, and is the CEO of Rave Music, a company which produces commercial soundtracks. He is best known for having produced much of the music for the Pokémon anime series.

Just tell him that fans have noticed the low volume of the music in Season 11 and we want the music to be at the same volume as previous seasons. A lot of the time in battles, the human and Pokemon voices muffle out the music where you can't hear it, it needs to be fixed.

I'd also say PUSA should keep as much of the original music as possible, but I know it doesn't matter to them.

ask him if he knows why the show uses dub music at all.

Why doesn't the show use all the japanese music, exception for tracks with Japanese vocals?

srsly, theres no other questions to ask him :eek: who cares about the pusa music anyway.

I have afew questions:
How long does it take to score an episode?

What's the process of making music for the show? What's the inspiration?

Was it difficult to create songs specifically for the Pokemon movies?

ask him if he knows why the show uses dub music at all.

Why doesn't the show use all the japanese music, exception for tracks with Japanese vocals?

Seconded.

You could also give "Why don't you use the Japanese instrumentals/translate the songs" a shot, too.

When are you going to ask him?

Last edited:
Scott85 said:
Just tell him that fans have noticed the low volume of the music in Season 11 and we want the music to be at the same volume as previous seasons. A lot of the time in battles, the human and Pokemon voices muffle out the music where you can't hear it, it needs to be fixed.

The music composer wouldn't have anything to do with that.

Well obviously the winning question is:

Is there any way to convince Pokemon USA to use more of the Japanese background music?

Some other questions:

- What's his or Manny Corallo's current involvement with the show?
- Why did Pokemon USA stop using the 4Kids music?
- I had another one but I totally forgot it.

Ditto for those questions, but something I'd like to know is the status of previous vocal songs, like those from 2.B.A. Master and Totally Pokemon; plenty of those songs were quite good, and could work well if used in the show in places where Japanese songs were in the originals.

I'd also like to know if he still has any involvement with 4Kids, or if he's in the same position as actors who stuck with Pokemon's production.

I have a question for him, how do they compose the music anyways? Like how they put it together, and is it costly to make some tracks?

Here are my questions to ask John Loeffler:

1. Did you compose the 4Kids background music, or was it mostly done by Manny Corallo?

2. What was your involvement with creating both the background music and vocal music for the 4Kids dub of Pokemon?

3. Regarding Pokemon's vocal songs, did you enjoy working on each season's theme song? And is it possible that David Rolfe could return and sing more theme songs/vocal songs for Pokemon?

4. What was your experience working on Pokemon Christmas Bash? And did you get to work alongside Pokemon's original voice actors?

5. Why does Pokemon USA's background music sound so different than the 4Kids BGM?

6. Why did you stop using 4Kids background music in the show?

7. Is there a way that Pokemon fans can actually purchase or download all of the 4Kids background music?

8. Is it possible that we could see more soundtracks with the 4Kids background music being released? (similar to Pokemon The First Movie Score being released)

9. For the following vocal songs, was a full version of these songs ever produced/recorded:

"I Wanna Be A Hero" - season 6, Pokemon Advanced theme

"This Dream" - season 7, Advanced Challenge theme

You Can't Remember (not sure of the title), from the episode, "A Scare To Remember"

Who Am I Inside (not sure of the title) from the episode, "Do I Hear A Ralts"

And this goes along with question 9: If these songs have full versions, is there a way for Pokemon fans to listen, purchase, or download these songs?

Personally, I'm very interested in receiving answers for questions 3, 4, 7, and 9. So if you can, please ask John Loeffler those questiosn for me!! ^_^

Last edited:
I haven't watched much of the anime, but I thought a lot of the music came from the games. I know they used the D/P wild Pokémon theme when Dawn first encountered Piplup in the woods after it escaped the lab.

Ok, thanks for the questions. I will pick some to ask.

QUESTION: How many questions do you think would be polite/appropriate to ask?

Also, obviously I am not bringing up "Japanese music" with him...it would make him feel like his compositions were less liked...which would be bad

Here are my questions to ask John Loeffler:

1. Did you compose the 4Kids background music, or was it mostly done by Manny Corallo?

2. What was your involvement with creating both the background music and vocal music for the 4Kids dub of Pokemon?

3. Regarding Pokemon's vocal songs, did you enjoy working on each season's theme song? And is it possible that David Rolfe could return and sing more theme songs/vocal songs for Pokemon?

4. What was your experience working on Pokemon Christmas Bash? And did you get to work alongside Pokemon's original voice actors?

5. Why does Pokemon USA's background music sound so different than the 4Kids BGM?

6. Why did you stop using 4Kids background music in the show?

7. Is there a way that Pokemon fans can actually purchase or download all of the 4Kids background music?

8. Is it possible that we could see more soundtracks with the 4Kids background music being released? (similar to Pokemon The First Movie Score being released)

9. For the following vocal songs, was a full version of these songs ever produced/recorded:

"I Wanna Be A Hero" - season 6, Pokemon Advanced theme

"This Dream" - season 7, Advanced Challenge theme

You Can't Remember (not sure of the title), from the episode, "A Scare To Remember"

Who Am I Inside (not sure of the title) from the episode, "Do I Hear A Ralts"

And this goes along with question 9: If these songs have full versions, is there a way for Pokemon fans to listen, purchase, or download these songs?

Personally, I'm very interested in receiving answers for questions 3, 4, 7, and 9. So if you can, please ask John Loeffler those questiosn for me!! ^_^

These are good questions, and you can ask about the Japanese music but don't harass him about it like these people are suggesting...he makes the songs he isn't the arranger.

Ug, I don't see why bringing up the Japanese music is a bad thing. Just ask him if he knows why the score isn't used as much?

I agree. I mean...we'd basically be going up to him and saying "Hey, so um...can we have that Japanese dude's music back? Because yours just ain't cutting it."

I'd think that the goal would be to be polite, not (in an offhanded way) tell him that he sucks.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom