• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Questions for John Loeffler?

I agree. I mean...we'd basically be going up to him and saying "Hey, so um...can we have that Japanese dude's music back? Because yours just ain't cutting it."

I'd think that the goal would be to be polite, not (in an offhanded way) tell him that he sucks.

though, it might be safe to ask him if he personally condones the idea of music-replacement (in any creative work). This could bring attention to the fact that several fans don't approve of the idea themselves while not taking offense to him personally. Technically, I don't think the guy had any say in the removal of Japanese music in the first place, he was just hired to compose original tracks.

Last edited:
I see plenty of questions that'll keep him busy already. I'm really grateful for the latest score in the Darkrai movie... especially Orracion- what a beautiful piece of music. Tell him we appreciate his work! :)

Orracion is Japanese. I believe the only dub music in the Darkrai movie were the vocal songs.

Oh yeah, he's the composer...otherwise you could ask why some episodes keep more Japanese BGM than others eg Dawn’s Early Night kept just about all while the Dustox episode only kept 2

7. Is there a way that Pokemon fans can actually purchase or download all of the 4Kids background music?

8. Is it possible that we could see more soundtracks with the 4Kids background music being released? (similar to Pokemon The First Movie Score being released)

9. For the following vocal songs, was a full version of these songs ever produced/recorded:

”I Wanna Be A Hero” - season 6, Pokemon Advanced theme

”This Dream” - season 7, Advanced Challenge theme

You Can’t Remember (not sure of the title), from the episode, “A Scare To Remember”

Who Am I Inside (not sure of the title) from the episode, “Do I Hear A Ralts”

And this goes along with question 9: If these songs have full versions, is there a way for Pokemon fans to listen, purchase, or download these songs?

I’m interested in those questions, I'd really like full versions of ”I Wanna Be A Hero” and ”This Dream” and to have some 4Kids BGM and, actually, the PUSA BGM.

Oh yeah, he's the composer...otherwise you could ask why some episodes keep more Japanese BGM than others eg Dawn’s Early Night kept just about all while the Dustox episode only kept 2
I think that'd be an easier question to ask him than "WHY DON'T YOU KEEP JAPANESE MUSIC BITCHES" I (personally) would also ask about silence but I don't see that as a big issue, especially since the dub isn't constant noise anymore.

I also second the question about 4Kids/PUSA background music being released on its own, since there are some pieces that even I like from the dub. Particularly the PUSA music, it seems like they have two sets of music, some of it is not half-bad but the rest isn't as great.

OOH! Just came to me: ask him about silence, what he thinks of it and if he'd prefer more of it, something along those lines.

Ok, thanks for the questions. I will pick some to ask.

QUESTION: How many questions do you think would be polite/appropriate to ask?

Also, obviously I am not bringing up "Japanese music" with him...it would make him feel like his compositions were less liked...which would be bad
I'd say between 10 and 12 questions would be good, but definitely no more than 15, if that.

Last edited:
If you watch some of the dub in the early Kanto ones I loved how some 4Kids music was designed just for that scene, it really fits too.

Just don't mess with the Japanese score!

He has nothing to do with the Japanese music/silence - if you want you can ask his opinion about the subject, just don't bombard him with it.

Also when can we expect the interview I'm actually interested.

Ok,

I sent him an e-mail with 7 questions...trying to combine a little bit of everything people wanted to know.

If it turns out to be OK with him, I will post his answers. In a new thread...

(can an admin close this thread and archive it...as the initial question has been answered? )

Thanks for all of your suggestions!!

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom