• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

News Pokemon travelling companion poll

MarshiyanMisutaa

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. She/Her
Apparently this is a thing:

サトシとまた一緒に旅をしてほしい仲間は? 3位カスミ、2位セレナ、1位は… | アニメ!アニメ!
Adamant said:
The anime TV series Pocket Monsters, which started airing in 1997, reaches its 20th anniversary this year. It has been on air for a long time, starting with the original, subtitle-less series, then moving through "Advanced Generation", "Diamond & Pearl", "Best Wishes", XY", "XY&Z" and "Sun & Moon".
The protagonist Satoshi continues his journey aiming to become a Pokémon Master, but what keeps him going is the presence of his companions. And every time a new series starts, the companions that travel with him change. This led Anime Anime to hold a poll where we asked "Who do you want Satoshi to travel with again?". Since the travel groups up to this point has had a maximum of 3 members excluding Satoshi himself, we let people give up to three answers, so that they'd be able choose every companion from a specific series.
The poll was held between April 23rd and April 30th, and received 851 responses. We got slightly more responses from males, with 60% of them coming from males and 40% from females. Roughly 40% of the responses came from people between 10 and 19 years old, while over 50% of them came from people in their twenties, so more that 90% of the responses came from 10-29-year-olds.

In first place we have Takeshi, Satoshi's first companion, who made it to more than 70% of the voters' lists. Takeshi first appeared in the 5th episode of the series, where he served as an obstacle to Satoshi, being the Gym Leader of the Nibi Gym. But after their battle, Takeshi joined him, and was a principal cast member for three series; the original subtitle-less series, "Advanced Generation" and "Diamond & Pearl". What happened to him afterwards was then depicted in a special episode of "Best Wishes". His original aim was to be a Pokémon Breeder, but he's currently a student at a training institute for Pokémon Doctors.
In second place we have Serena, who first appeared in "XY". At first she just followed Satoshi without a specific goal as a Trainer, but a certain encounter led to her aiming to be a Pokémon Performer. Among the female leads so far, she's the one who's skilled in girly fields; she likes fashion, is good at making sweets, etc. She has been in love with Satoshi, "someone she admires", ever since he helped her long ago. Her confession in the final episode of "XY&Z" was massively popular and heavily talked about.
In third place, we have Kasumi, one his early companions. She chased after Satoshi to make him pay her back for her bicycle that Pikachu destroyed in episode 1, but over time she started forgetting about the bicycle and ended up just traveling with him. She loves Water Pokémon more than anything else, and is the highly masculine one among the past female leads. After traveling with Satoshi, she decided to return to the Hanada Gym, where her three older sisters served as Gym Leaders, in order to be a Gym Leader herself.

If we look at the results, we see that characters that served as the female lead, like Serena who got second place and Haruka who got fourth, occupy the top positions. However, Takeshi got absolutely overwhelming support and made it into first place with twice as many votes as the runner-up.

Results:
"Who do you want Satoshi to travel with again?"
1) Takeshi :eek:
2) Serena
3) Kasumi
4) Haruka
5) Hikari o_O
6) Citron
7) Dent
8) Kenji
9) Eureka
10) Iris :rolleyes:

Anyone have any idea if this is official or a fan poll? I can't find that information anywhere.

I aggre with the list mostly. The only changes bettwen the results and my oppinion is that I would put Kasumi between Citron and Dent and I would put Eureka before Kenji. I actually would like him to travel again with Takeshi, Serena and Haruka. I don't care if they become a group all of them or he goes on different journeys with each of them, but these are the three charachters that I would like to see traveling with him again. I don't understand why Massato isn't on the list. even if he is last place there should have been an eleventh place not take him out completely, although I believe he is better than Iris.

Last edited:
The poll was a Japanese only thing that has already finished, this is just a translation of the results, and either Max wasn't on or they only included the top 10, I think the first option is more likely.

The poll was a Japanese only thing that has already finished, this is just a translation of the results, and either Max wasn't on or they only included the top 10, I think the first option is more likely.
I understood it at the end and changed my reply.

What happened to Dawn ? I thought she was the more popular girl in Japan before that Serena and gen 6 came out.
The poll seems official since it's been relayed by a big Pokemon Japanese website and some writers retweeted it.

View: https://twitter.com/matome_pokemon/status/862859335084396545

It also asked Japanese fans what was their favorite movies (check here) and favorite Ash's Pokemon :
1. Charizard
2. Pikachu
3. Infernape
4. Greninja
5. Butterfree
results here

Last edited:
Am I the only one who thinks 851 responses is quite low for the Pokemon anime?

Yes, 851 responses is an incredibly low sample size of the entire Pokemon Anime demographic In Japan when you factor in its television ratings - however I think this can be explained by the fact that the poll appears to have been hosted by the website, Anime Anime, as described in the translation, so maybe they did not have as a large a reach of Pokemon Anime fans as other websites.

Am I the only one who thinks 851 responses is quite low for the Pokemon anime?

My guess is that the poll hasn't been overly promoted, so it didn't reach a bigger audience.

I've got to say, though, that I'm quite impressed by the overwhelming support toward Brock, and I'm even more surprised that Serena is a more popular choice than both Dawn and Misty. Gotta blame the shippers for that, I dare say!

And yeah, unsurprisingly Iris is one of the least popular travel companions, beating only Max. That truly speaks volumes about her overall reception, and this doesn't surprise me at all.

My guess is that the poll hasn't been overly promoted, so it didn't reach a bigger audience.

I've got to say, though, that I'm quite impressed by the overwhelming support toward Brock, and I'm even more surprised that Serena is a more popular choice than both Dawn and Misty. Gotta blame the shippers for that, I dare say!

You can be a fan of Serena without being a shipper. I'm more surprised about May > Dawn since Infernape beats Greninja in the poll "favorite Ash's Pokemon" I thought the D/P support would be huge but I guess I was wrong.

And yeah, unsurprisingly Iris is one of the least popular travel companions, beating only Max. That truly speaks volumes about her overall reception, and this doesn't surprise me at all.

851 responses on one specific site is really too low and specific of a sample size to infer much about the "overall reception" of what the Pokemon Anime fans in Japan think about any of the characters, really. Hence why I suppose there are some "surprising" rankings in this list. I'm not saying that Iris is or isn't popular in Japan but I don't think it is fair to infer that from this size and the demographic (50% are in their twenties, which puts them well outside of the target audience) could skewer the results somewhat.

Actually 851 is not that low. Polls always have a low amount of voters compared to the overall fanbase because the amount of people that care to vote is not much. This is not a popularity poll anyways but a poll about who you would like to see to travel with Ash again.Brock because people got used to him, even I miss Brock sometimes. Serena because shipping, some people would like to see them be in a relationship and Misty because is has been so long.

Actually 851 is not that low. Polls always have a low amount of voters compared to the overall fanbase because the amount of people that care to vote is not much. This is not a popularity poll anyways but a poll about who you would like to see to travel with Ash again.Brock because people got used to him, even I miss Brock sometimes. Serena because shipping, some people would like to see them be in a relationship and Misty because is has been so long.

It's a poll about popularity. It's about the characters that the Japanese want to see again (travelling again with Ash = comeback) and if more people want to see you than another person , it's that you are more popular right ? So it's basically the same. I don't think the Japanese care much about shipping and it's a small part of Serena's character anyway.

I've got to say, though, that I'm quite impressed by the overwhelming support toward Brock,
It's a multiple choice poll, and he's everybody's the second most popular choice.
Since the travel groups up to this point has had a maximum of 3 members excluding Satoshi himself, we let people give up to three answers, so that they'd be able choose every companion from a specific series.
Well, at least people prefer Iris over him, so she's not at the bottom
This is a good thing?

At first I was surprised to see Bonnie so low, but then I realized that Max isn't even there at all. That sucks. :( Anyway this list is interesting to me. I guess it's not surprising that there is a higher demand for companions that haven't been seen in a while as opposed to the more recent bunch (minus Serena but we all know why that is). I'm glad Serena, May, and Misty were all in the top five though. :)

Honestly, I would like to see how this would be changed if the age range excluded people in their near twenties and only focused on the target audience. Not to mention having a larger ( and even numbered) sample as opposed to 851. The results would probably become much different.

At first I was surprised to see Bonnie so low, but then I realized that Max isn't even there at all. That sucks. :( Anyway this list is interesting to me. I guess it's not surprising that there is a higher demand for companions that haven't been seen in a while as opposed to the more recent bunch (minus Serena but we all know why that is). I'm glad Serena, May, and Misty were all in the top five though. :)

Honestly, I would like to see how this would be changed if the age range excluded people in their near twenties and only focused on the target audience. Not to mention having a larger ( and even numbered) sample as opposed to 851. The results would probably become much different.

I guess only a few would know who Misty, May, Max, Brock, and maybe Dawn are.

Anyways, no way these characters are returning to the anime.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom