• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

News Pokemon travelling companion poll

It's a poll about popularity. It's about the characters that the Japanese want to see again (travelling again with Ash = comeback) and if more people want to see you than another person , it's that you are more popular right ? So it's basically the same. I don't think the Japanese care much about shipping and it's a small part of Serena's character anyway.
I'm not saying those characters aren't popular and Iris being dead last makes it feel like popularity played a role but it's different to ask "Who is your favorite character" than "Who do you want Satoshi to travel with again?" the latter already excludes SM characters for example.

I'm not saying those characters aren't popular and Iris being dead last makes it feel like popularity played a role but it's different to ask "Who is your favorite character" than "Who do you want Satoshi to travel with again?" the latter already excludes SM characters for example.

Maybe the SM characters weren't there because the question was "Who do you want Satoshi to travel with AGAIN" ? The SM characters are travelling (well it's a big word I know) with Ash atm... And obviously every people want their favorite character from this list to travel with Ash again because they want to see him/her again, so it's basically the same question.

Last edited:
These results are pretty interesting. I'm quite surprised that Brock placed so high. He was around the longest out of the traveling companions, so maybe that caused more people to miss him or many people though he'd work well as the third member of a group given that people could vote three times. Still, I didn't think Brock was that popular in Japan. I was expecting Serena to be the first voted, although second makes sense too. I'm more surprised that Dawn placed a bit low. Fifth place isn't bad, but I thought that she was more popular in Japan than that. Bonnie also placing rather low was a bit unexpected too, but Iris being in last place actually sounds pretty fitting. I don't think that she was particularly popular even in Japan.

It may not be the best indication of how characters are received in Japan. The sample size is a bit small, it might not have been promoted all that much and maybe it didn't last that long either. However, it does provide some insight as to how popular these characters are in Japan, so that's pretty neat and interesting.

People could choose three characters and Brock is everyone's second favorite companion, so I'm not all that surprised to see him in the top. The majority of people who voted are in their mid 20s, therefore Misty being so high in the ranking is not surprising either. Serena is the most recent female lead and she is not an obnoxious character like Iris plus she got help from AmourShippers, it makes sense that she got a good amount of votes.

This is an unofficial poll promoted by a not so popular website. 851 votes is really not enough. There were polls in Orkut communities back in 2010 with more responses than this one. The one thing that really surprised me here is that Clemont got more votes than Cilan. Cilan was universally acclaimed during the Best Wishers series, while Clemont was considered by many to be dead weight after the Lumiose Gym battle.

The thing that bothers me about this is that they listed XYZ separate from XY. BW Season 2 wasn't separate from BW, Battle Frontier wasn't separate from the Hoenn arc, and the three sections of the original series weren't split apart. Like come on guys it's been 6 months stop trying to hype it up by pretending it's its own series.

The thing that bothers me about this is that they listed XYZ separate from XY. BW Season 2 wasn't separate from BW, Battle Frontier wasn't separate from the Hoenn arc, and the three sections of the original series weren't split apart.
No one cares about BW and the rest doesn't exist in Japan.
Like come on guys it's been 6 months stop trying to hype it up by pretending it's its own series.
No.

The thing that bothers me about this is that they listed XYZ separate from XY. BW Season 2 wasn't separate from BW, Battle Frontier wasn't separate from the Hoenn arc, and the three sections of the original series weren't split apart. Like come on guys it's been 6 months stop trying to hype it up by pretending it's its own series.

wtf Battle Frontier was never a separated season in Japan. neither was OS
BW is not listed as seprate since it actually has FOUR seasons, Season 1, Season 2, Episode N and Decolora.

Last edited:
People could choose three characters and Brock is everyone's second favorite companion, so I'm not all that surprised to see him in the top. The majority of people who voted are in their mid 20s, therefore Misty being so high in the ranking is not surprising either. Serena is the most recent female lead and she is not an obnoxious character like Iris plus she got help from AmourShippers, it makes sense that she got a good amount of votes.

This is an unofficial poll promoted by a not so popular website. 851 votes is really not enough. There were polls in Orkut communities back in 2010 with more responses than this one. The one thing that really surprised me here is that Clemont got more votes than Cilan. Cilan was universally acclaimed during the Best Wishers series, while Clemont was considered by many to be dead weight after the Lumiose Gym battle.

While Cilan was universally praised during BW, I think a good chuck of the reason why was simply because he was entertaining. He was the first new secondary male traveling companion in a long time and people probably found him pretty refreshing at the time. His upbeat personality made him less prone to fading into the background compared to Brock or Tracey. While I'd agree that Clemont really didn't have much to do after the Lumiose Gym battle, I could see why he'd get more votes than Cilan. He is more recent and while his storyline was basically done halfway through the series, that's still more than what Cilan had. Cilan was entertaining and memorable, but he didn't really go anywhere and they didn't seem to even care about his goal if his departure was any indication. Clemont comes off as the more interesting character out of the two and I think he had better chemistry with Ash than Cilan did, even though both of their friendships were nice.

I never quite understood why they kept acting like XYZ was its own series to be honest. It wasn't like people could jump into it without having some knowledge of XY. It was just the last year of XY with a different title to grab more attention. I normally just consider that part of the series XY for the same reason. It does make sense that they wouldn't separate Battle Frontier or the different arcs from the original series. They never labeled those arcs as their own series like they did with XYZ.

The Advanced Generation series was never split into seasons in Japan. Bulbapedia does that because reasons. It's really a disservice because splitting AG into two separate arcs is a fan thing and the list of AG episodes fails to mention that. The writers haven't made any real distinction between the journey in Hoenn and the one in Kanto. That is clear when you check the official Japanese Pokémon website.

The original series, however, was indeed split into three "episodes": Pocket Monsters, Episode Orange Islands, and Episode Gold & Silver. These are as official as the seasons of the Best Wishes and the XY series.

BW has two seasons. The first is simply named Best Wishes! and the second is creatively titled Best Wishes! Season 2. They were running out of ideas to draw attention to such a crappy series and so they further divided Season 2 into two mini-arcs as if that would make that shit more interesting. We got Season 2: Episode N and Season 2: Decolora Adventure!. Episode N and DA! are not separate seasons per se, they are still part of Season 2.

>Kasumi scores third

The EOP meme comes to an end. Though anecdotal, it's better than pulling something out of thin air. A certain 31 year old Scottsman is going to throw a tantrum. lol

Go Takeshi! Honestly he's still my favorite male traveling companion to date even if he got super stale during DP. Haruka and Hikari getting fourth is pretty good, but it's surprising they ranked lower than Takeshi.

Satoshi and those Top 3 in the same group is Nisekoi waiting to happen.

The original series, however, was indeed split into three "episodes": Pocket Monsters, Episode Orange Islands, and Episode Gold & Silver. These are as official as the seasons of the Best Wishes and the XY series.
Those subtitles after the title never appeared in the actual episodes though, unlike BW and XY. They're more like official ways of differentiating the arcs rather than a title refresh.

Last edited:
The Advanced Generation series was never split into seasons in Japan. Bulbapedia does that because reasons. It's really a disservice because splitting AG into two separate arcs is a fan thing and the list of AG episodes fails to mention that. The writers haven't made any real distinction between the journey in Hoenn and the one in Kanto. That is clear when you check the official Japanese Pokémon website.

BW has two seasons. The first is simply named Best Wishes! and the second is creatively titled Best Wishes! Season 2. They were running out of ideas to draw attention to such a crappy series and so they further divided Season 2 into two mini-arcs as if that would make that shit more interesting. We got Season 2: Episode N and Season 2: Decolora Adventure!. Episode N and DA! are not separate seasons per se, they are still part of Season 2.

So why then do the promo team (and a lot of the fandom tbh) treat XYZ like a separate series from XY but tend to clump all of BW and all of OS together? Or why does everyone refer to the XY series as the "XYZ series" even though XYZ wasn't even half of XY but don't call BW the "Best Wishes! Season 2 Decolora Island Adventures series"? I know it's such a small thing and not even the main point of the poll but it's always irked me.

Wow. I can't believe that Bonnie and Dawn are so low. And Tracey is that high? And Max isn't even there. Max really is the most forgotten companion ever. I bet some fans don't even know he exists.

Like FANG-TAN said, the subtitles never appeared in the actual episode and XY&Z was promoted as a new series by magazines,TV Tokyo site,etc. It's something that started with BW and will probably continue in SM. It's not that hard to understand.

What this has to do with the character poll, I don't understand.

This poll isn't representative.
First of all, older fans are only a minority of the anime's fandom, which is why M20 can give us the finger.
Also, the sample is small and the poll was only open for 2 days.

So why then do the promo team (and a lot of the fandom tbh) treat XYZ like a separate series from XY but tend to clump all of BW and all of OS together? Or why does everyone refer to the XY series as the "XYZ series" even though XYZ wasn't even half of XY but don't call BW the "Best Wishes! Season 2 Decolora Island Adventures series"? I know it's such a small thing and not even the main point of the poll but it's always irked me.

The anime staff tried their best to promote Best Wishes! Season 2 as a new thing. At the end of Rocking the Virbank Gym! Part 2 they even replaced the standard "To be continued..." and instead went with "Next time... A new beginning!", which before that episode had only been used in the final episode of a series/generation. They also made that poster with Dawn and Cynthia and the TV Tokyo website was updated to include bios of these characters. Plus we got a new opening theme.

However, after they further divided Season 2 into Episode N and Decolore Adventure! the fans realized nothing really changed and it was all the same shit. The staff was just drawing attention to half-assed episodes. I mean, DA! consists of endless fillers in which nothing ever happens. So it's hard for the fans to see it as a new series when they have to deal with the same kind of shit, if not worse. It's easier to refer to four groups of shitty episodes as one giant shit.

The situation is a little bit different in the XY series. The XYZ arc is fast paced and action-packed. It is the culmination of the Team Flare storyline and it really feels like an improvement. Like the writers were actually trying to tell a decent story. There's the introduction of Alain, Mairin, Lysandre, and Steven from the Mega Evolution Specials to the main series, and they made it to the final episode of the series, unlike what happened with Dawn and Cynthia who were both dropped after a few episodes.

I think that's the norm now. I wouldn't be surprised if the Sun & Moon series ended up having a second season, a subtitle, something new to entice the fans. Wait till SM104 when Ash finally decides to leave Melemele and we get something like Sun & Moon: Alolan Adventures!.

. Serena is the most recent female lead and she is not an obnoxious character like Iris plus she got help from AmourShippers, it makes sense that she got a good amount of votes.

Infernape has beaten Greninja in the other question of this poll and Greninja was the most recent hype (especially when he also got the hype from the games) , May has beaten Dawn who appeared in B/W, , Misty got 3rd. Recency has nothing to do with this.

This poll isn't representative.
First of all, older fans are only a minority of the anime's fandom, which is why M20 can give us the finger.
Also, the sample is small and the poll was only open for 2 days.

"The poll was held between April 23rd and April 30th, and received 851 responses. We got slightly more responses from males, with 60% of them coming from males and 40% from females."

I didn't know that between April 23rd and April 30th there is only 2 days.

Does anyone have the results of the other two polls? I believe they're rankings of the movies and Ash's Pokemon.

40% of the voters were under 20, and that is hardly a negligible amount. Let's not forget that someone who was 10 when DP started would be over 20 now. The poll should be targeted at people who are familiar with all the series, or otherwise their votes would be uninformed. So the majority being over 20 is ideal, and 851 is not a small sample size. How many Japanese people are familiar with nearly 20 years of the anime's history? A million seems like a very generous estimate, and in that case, 851 voters should yield a margin of error around 3%-4% (at a 95% confidence level). There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Kids who are only familiar with the recent series are not the target demographic of this poll.

I don't think the Japanese care much about shipping and it's a small part of Serena's character anyway.
It's the main aspect of how the character was marketed.... Did you watch the 20th anniversary special? It reduced Serena to shipping fodder.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom