• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your controversial opinions

hoenn actually did have too much water
Deadass that was the most common complaint about Hoenn for years and to this day I've no idea why people (still) mock IGN for using it in their ORAS review

I can only assume it was a combination of people who were young and weren't aware that people very much did complain about the amount of water routes in the Gen III and Hoenn fans who very much could not handle even the slightest criticisms of the remakes.

I consider the GBA version of Hoenn that had the problem the worst when it came to the water routes. At least ORAS did the right thing by shortening them.

This isn't my unpopular opinion but I did watch this video today and it brought up some points I hadn't considered before. Plus, with Pokemon Legends Z-A on the way, claiming that Mega Evolution is the worst gimmick would definitely be controversial. The point about the timing of Mega Evolutions is interesting to think about. I think they still would be popular and well received if introduced later but the current criticisms would be more pronounced.

As for my own controversial or unpopular opinion, Pokemon benefits from 3D in general and most if not all the 3D models look great. Plus, the personality is still there when you see the animations in motion.

Last edited:
I don't think every Pokémon has made the best leap to 3D models, but I do think most of them look fine.
I'll take this and raise it further: I think almost every 'mon looks stellar in 3D (not that the games always have great graphics in general, but only very few mon have issues with their models specifically imo). The only ones that come to mind for me that I don't care for are the Cyndaquil family and Purrloin, and that's primarily due to the deviations from their 2D sprites that kind of stripped them of some of their originality.

hoenn actually did have too much water
On the contrary, my unpopular opinion is, I like having water routes and we need more of them.

Hear me out. For one since hoenn we've been lucky to get more than one water route a region. So it's been a bit. 2 it won't be so annoying as it was in gen 3 with the advent of over world pokemon. And 4 hoenn had some cool water route stuff going on. An underwater ruin that unlocks ancient sealed away legendary pokemon? Hidden by a fast current you have to navigate. Awesome. An abandoned ship you explore (and has its own plot in the remakes) awesome. Under water caves, islands you can only access by diving. Oh diving in general needs to come back. A village that lives on logs in the ocean? Come on this stuff was amazing for world building and amazing locations. Just mad we didn't have any pirate NPCs.

On the contrary, my unpopular opinion is, I like having water routes and we need more of them.

Hear me out. For one since hoenn we've been lucky to get more than one water route a region. So it's been a bit. 2 it won't be so annoying as it was in gen 3 with the advent of over world pokemon. And 4 hoenn had some cool water route stuff going on. An underwater ruin that unlocks ancient sealed away legendary pokemon? Hidden by a fast current you have to navigate. Awesome. An abandoned ship you explore (and has its own plot in the remakes) awesome. Under water caves, islands you can only access by diving. Oh diving in general needs to come back. A village that lives on logs in the ocean? Come on this stuff was amazing for world building and amazing locations. Just mad we didn't have any pirate NPCs.
team aqua like to cosplay as pirates in the remakes

I'll take this and raise it further: I think almost every 'mon looks stellar in 3D (not that the games always have great graphics in general, but only very few mon have issues with their models specifically imo). The only ones that come to mind for me that I don't care for are the Cyndaquil family and Purrloin, and that's primarily due to the deviations from their 2D sprites that kind of stripped them of some of their originality.
There's a few more I'd personally add to the list - like Archeops and Spinda (because of the loss of all the patterns), but I largely agree.

And the Cyndaquil line got fixed in PLA, anyway.

The Rainbow Rocket episode has to be the lamest postgame story ever put in a pokemon game and it's a shame that is like that because the setup is amazing. You have a reborn Team Rocket comprised of all the evil team leaders that come from worlds where they won, and yet you fight them all in a normal building. That is lame as hell.

How cool and fun it would be that if in order to send the evil team leaders back to their worlds, you had to go into their worlds, and beat them there so that they couldn't leave again? Imagine if each world was their own mini overworld, where you could explore around, talk with npcs and see how it is in a world the evil team leader won? The one where Maxie won and Hoenn is nothing but land, the literal opposite of the Hoenn meme about too many water routes (7,8 too much land). Sinnoh without emotion, Kanto being controlled by Team Rocket. whatever Ghetsis wanted to do with Unova. It would have been amazing to see the actual effects of a world where the evil team leader won, specially given how rare it is in games where players get to play in a state where the villain has won (Final Fantasy 6 is probably the most famous example).

Delta Episode for all its faults like being too short and having literally no new areas to explore, at least has Mega Rayquaza and Deoxys being catchable outside of an event. Rainbow Rocket just has nothing, an amazing concept most likely not done to its full potential because of yet another rushed development.

The Rainbow Rocket episode has to be the lamest postgame story ever put in a pokemon game and it's a shame that is like that because the setup is amazing. You have a reborn Team Rocket comprised of all the evil team leaders that come from worlds where they won, and yet you fight them all in a normal building. That is lame as hell.

How cool and fun it would be that if in order to send the evil team leaders back to their worlds, you had to go into their worlds, and beat them there so that they couldn't leave again? Imagine if each world was their own mini overworld, where you could explore around, talk with npcs and see how it is in a world the evil team leader won? The one where Maxie won and Hoenn is nothing but land, the literal opposite of the Hoenn meme about too many water routes (7,8 too much land). Sinnoh without emotion, Kanto being controlled by Team Rocket. whatever Ghetsis wanted to do with Unova. It would have been amazing to see the actual effects of a world where the evil team leader won, specially given how rare it is in games where players get to play in a state where the villain has won (Final Fantasy 6 is probably the most famous example).

Delta Episode for all its faults like being too short and having literally no new areas to explore, at least has Mega Rayquaza and Deoxys being catchable outside of an event. Rainbow Rocket just has nothing, an amazing concept most likely not done to its full potential because of yet another rushed development.
And it would've been even better if we actually had to go to these worlds to catch the legendary Pokemon from previous generations too instead of stuffing them into random portals and hoping you get lucky to run into them.

Imagine scaling Dragonspiral Tower in complete 3D to catch Reshiram or Zekrom, going into the Burned Tower in 3D to catch the Legendary Beasts, or finding out you accidentally stumbled into the now unstable Distortion World where you catch an enraged Giratina. All of these would've definitely been so much better than just putting the legendaries inside random portals.

there were always shinies like Glaceon though
Yes, but it was definitely more noticeable in 2d than 3d even if it was similar
Spr_5b_471_s.png
Spr_5b_471.png

Back
Top Bottom