• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Zelda Informer use Kickstarter to fund Pure Nintendo Magazine: A $20,000 goal is need

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
Zelda Informer use Kickstarter to fund Pure Nintendo Magazine: A $20,000 goal is needed to ...

Our NIWA friends at Zelda Informer are using Kickstarter to fund a project for a new Nintendo magazine in the USA called Pure Nintendo Magazine. The magazine will be bi-monthly magazine and it will be made to replace Nintendo Power magazine. A $20,000 goal is needed to launch the magazine. At the time of writing this article $15,384 have been raised so far. The deadline for funding is at 10:19pm EDT on Thursday Oct 11, 2012.

Read more on Bulbanews

Re: Zelda Informer use Kickstarter to fund Pure Nintendo Magazine: A $20,000 goal is

I don't see any benefit to this. Game magazines are almost useless by now because all the info and more can be found online. If you're out to revive the legacy of the old Nintendo Power, then I'm sure you'll find a niche, but I doubt you'll gain much from it.

Re: Zelda Informer use Kickstarter to fund Pure Nintendo Magazine: A $20,000 goal is

Well, this sounds great, I do have a problem with it being bi-monthly, though it might become monthly if it gets popular enough and makes enough money.

The real problems will be getting past the copyright barriers in order to promote the games featured, plus sponsors are needed to put advertisements in the magazine, and that might take some time.

I don't see any benefit to this. Game magazines are almost useless by now because all the info and more can be found online. If you're out to revive the legacy of the old Nintendo Power, then I'm sure you'll find a niche, but I doubt you'll gain much from it.

I agree with you, and considering that what game magazine that's left, GameInformer, is incredibly biased as you can possibly think of, game magazines are pretty much on the endangered species list no thanks to the medium killer known as the internet, and considering that most of the online game reviewer and news sites (IGN, Blistered Thumbs, etc.) are aimed more towards an adult audience than towards the younger gamers like Nintendo Power was, and that's something I find to be a major problem.

The website where you can donate also shows you how many people have donated specific amounts. I'm surprised that there are 8 people who have donated $350 each to the project, I thought that nobody would have that much money to give away.

Last edited:

I'm sure there is a lot more better things to spend money on in this economic climate than a magazine which provides a service found online.

In fact, they already report news online. With ads for revenue. It doesn't make a great load of sense to me to provide competition to your existing platform of media when you need donations to go ahead with it?

In before Nintendo sends a cease and desist letter.

But yeah, I have to agree, there isn't much of a benefit to this. I enjoyed getting my Nintendo Power issues for years now, but in the same light, things have drastically changed since the old days when people didn't really have the internet and such and had to rely on gaming magazines for their monthly gaming news.

This news makes me uncertain whether or not Zelda Informer should be a credible site considering how the internet "almost" killed gaming magazines.

To keep the magazine from going under, they should consider publishing the magazine online as well.

The real problems will be getting past the copyright barriers in order to promote the games featured
What copyright barriers? They're acting as journalists, there's protections for them to use those images for the purpose of news and opinion.

In before Nintendo sends a cease and desist letter.
Putting aside the fact that unofficial magazines have been allowed before, this was specifically mentioned on the Kickstarter.
"Yes, we have secured official rights from Nintendo to use the name."

To keep the magazine from going under, they should consider publishing the magazine online as well.
As mentioned on the Kickstarter page.
"Digital fans, don't fret - Pure Nintendo will also be made available in digital form for your tablet, mobile device, or desktop."

Seems interesting. Hopefully, it will be available for Kindle users, because when I don't have class, I like to read books, magazines, etc.

There are several issues already available for digital and print media. So... why are they doing this exactly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom