• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Junichi Masuda Game Informer Interview - 3D models and MMO?

I'm fine with no MMO because I agree. I always loved making trade deals with my friends, figuring out breeding with them, etc. What would we be able to do in an MMO that we can't do now? Battle internationally? We have that. Trade with people? We have that. MMOs are all about online communication, which is something you get in Pokémon as well, just not in the same way.

Arguably, an MMO trades away personal experience for a social one.

Pokémon REALLY relies on personal experience. One single save file, the near infinite way of building your party, naming each of your pokémon and preassumbly characterizing them as friends... it is ALL about your personal experience.
And while it has an strong social aspect, the way Pokémon does it is by players "tying" their personal experiences. The team you've made, the strategy you've developed, that's what shows through social interactions.

Meanwhile, an MMO starts entirely from this social aspect and experience: everything you do is to socialize, the accomplishments are group ones, and it's more about enjoying other people in the game than the game at a personal level.

If Pokemon become 3D, one thing I would like to see is what kind of graphic simulators will use to represent the newer Pokemon (it's likely the older ones will use the older sprite-based ones if it's full 3D). If they don't have 2D art akin to Pokemon Conquest, that would be even more interesting to see.

Thanks for reading.

I'm a bit annoyed over how he jumps the question of whether there will be actual new cries for older pokémon with god-awful cries by current standards. At least we'll never see them change to the anime version, that would be ... horrible.

By having a lot more action-packed gameplay, or some kind of gameplay that requires timed button presses, it might be a little bit too difficult for some people, especially for people who aren’t used to playing games

Nintendo (in general) catering to people who don't play games often? News at 11!

In a more serious note, it's good that they're not considering gameplay that involves pushing a button. That would be so utter crap in a battle system like pokémon that favors strategy.

Also
Masuda says that despite the shared investment, no one forces them to design for a specific console or handheld, so it's up to Game Freak to decide when they want to move to the 3DS.

Granted, he's using the word "forced", but I feel it would be rather naive if Nintendo didn't want the second best selling video game series of all time to have a main game on their current generation handheld platform more than two years after it's release (unless somehow a new 3DS game is released before February), and that they don't at least put some indirect pressure on Gamefreak because of this.

An MMO would be a totally shitty idea. I'm glad nothing like that is coming our way any time soon. I still don't get why people want this at all.

In the Iwata Asks for B2W2, Satoru Iwata was very polite, but also came across clear enough that he was annoyed at GameFreak's decision to stay with the DS. So although they cannot be forced, I would not be surprised if Nintendo have at least said it to GameFreak informally.

Rumor has it that Masuda doesn't favor the 3DS, that it doesn't have the following necessary. I do not fully trust this information. If it is true, then I have to ask how is this situation different than with previous handhelds? They went on them seemingly without question, and the promotions seem ready to change focus soon. If these are his thoughts, I question the future of Pokemon.

Rumor has it that Masuda doesn't favor the 3DS, that it doesn't have the following necessary.
He only said that in reference to the decision to release B2W2 for the DS; they wanted to be sure that anyone who played Black and White would be able to play the sequels. Game Freak are clearly interested in the 3DS in terms of future games:

"The 3DS has a lot of very cool features," he adds. "The 3D, new network features - we could challenge ourselves with that hardware, so we're definitely taking a look at it. We're very interested."
"Taking a look at it" is almost certainly a euphemism for "we've been working on it for a while now".

Last edited:
They should try use cel-shaded graphics for Gen VI if they want to combine the uniqueness of 2D models with 3D models. Just look at Wind Waker and Skyward Sword.
Again, Battrio did it. And they really look fantastic on pokémon. Much better than the look of the current 3D games.

That game also had the models set up in an overhead general view, sorta like the "overworld" graphics, and they work pretty well even there.

Unfortunately, GF might take a different route because Battrio doesn't belong to them, and stealing someone's idea is the last thing they'll ever try to do, even if it's just a mere coincidence.

Why on earth using cel-shading would be "stealing someone's idea"?

It has happened before. I once had a friend who claimed to be the original creator of Shadow the Hedgehog. He sent the concept to SEGA long ago, and they didn't give him credit for using him in Sonic Adventure 2.

It has happened before. I once had a friend who claimed to be the original creator of Shadow the Hedgehog. He sent the concept to SEGA long ago, and they didn't give him credit for using him in Sonic Adventure 2.
I'm guessing said friend wasn't being entirely truthful...

Anyway guys, we're getting slightly off track - this thread isn't about whether using a similar art style to someone else is copying or not.

I'm glad the 3D thing won't be for a while because that increases the chances of the next games being for all DSes.

Masuda's being diplomatic, but I won't be; the next RPGs will not be for DS. DS is done after Black and White 2. They have almost certain been working on an unannounced 3DS gen for years.

Time to let DS go, I'm afraid. It's had a good run, but it's tapped.

Back
Top Bottom