• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Junichi Masuda Game Informer Interview - 3D models and MMO?

Joshawott

The Possibly Fake
Reaction score
In the run up to the international release of "Pokémon Black Version 2" and "Pokémon White Version 2" next month, Junichi Masuda was interviewed by Game Informer. where he did give a few interesting tidbits. Here are the juicy things:

Q: In Pokémon Black and White, there are sprites and polygonal characters. Are you interested in a fully polygonal Pokémon game in the future?
A: There are definitely good aspects to both 3D and 2D. For example if you look at the Pokémon on the package you can really see how cool it looks as a 2D illustration and in the games, for the Pokémon characters, one of the reasons we use sprites, at least currently, is because we like to have more of a comical, kind of look like an animation, this kind of visual style is what we want to do for the Pokémon games. If we were able to take that style we have now and have it translate into 3D with no problems; that is definitely something we would be into. However, it’s not just about the visual appearance either. The feeling and the control of the character is also very important to us. There is definitely a certain feeling you have when you control these 2D characters. It may be different if we switched over to 3D.
So Junichi Masuda has changed his tune compared to an interview with Official Nintendo Magazine back in the run up to Black and White's launch, where he was fairly adamant about wanting to stick with sprites.

Q: How often do you hear requests from fans or the press about the possibility of a Pokémon MMO?
A: In terms of how often we get asked, I’m on Twitter and I get asked every once in a while, but it’s really not very often – from fans at least. I get the feeling that maybe not all of our fans are really interested in such an online game. It’s more so in interviews with the media and whatnot that I get asked about online games, like “Are you guys going to make an online version of Pokémon?” In terms of that, when you are playing remotely with someone very far away, obviously online, using the Internet like that is a really great option and it works great for that purpose, but with the Pokémon games, we really like to focus on face-to-face communication, and in-person communication, playing with people in the same space. One example might be like people from around the world come to the Olympics and have this huge event and that’s really exciting. While online play is a feature we also like and want to have in the games, encouraging this in-person face-to-face communication is something we want to continue to promote in our games.
So yeah, no MMO at this time.

Its very interesting that he seems to be changing his mind about the possibility of using 3D models in a Pokemon game. Perhaps we will see a main series game with 3D models after all. However, from that quote he seems to still be more in favor of Pokemon sprites in 2D, but this is definately good news.

On the first quote, I do prefer seeing the Pokemon in 2D when on the handhelds, and while I think 3D Pokemon look cool, I honestly prefer all my battles to be with 2D sprites with some 3D elements to them, like in the Gen 5 games. Still, I keep wondering what the Gen 6 games will look like, whether they will be in the same style as Gen 5, just on the 3DS rather than the DS(i), or in a new style that resembles the traditional style of the games, just updated.

As for the second one, there are already a number of unofficial fan-made Pokemon MMOs out there, and I'm not really into mass multi-player unless it's TF2 or something, so yeah, I wasn't really interested in a Pokemon MMO anyways, though it would be interesting to see.

I wouldnt mind seeing a combination of sprites and 3D models if at all possible, like having the 3D models only in battle or something. Id really love Game Freak to use 3D animation and models in some form at some point even if only for that sort of thing. I dont know if thats possible or would take too much memory, but I feel they should take advantage of 3D for the 3DS.

There are a number of ways pokemon can keep it's aesthetic and turn to models. In fact, I fail to see why he thinks models can't do this, other than the matter that the earlier models don't look that good. I think they can do it now. I think elaboration needs to be made over what exactly he thinks sprites can do that models cannot, because I see nothing that makes any difference whatsoever.

EDIT: Also, something stinks of them putting words into Masuda's mouth on the segment on "Why DS?" This was never about where the most players are, it's about consistency, which the last part does say, but the beginning part, I refuse to believe is the real answer. If it is, then they would pretty much irk Nintendo to no end and they will die.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I first learned of Pokémon Battrio... I saw the graphics. And I have to say, Cel-Shading REALLY works amazingly well for Pokémon. I believe it manages to carry the aesthetic quite well while allowing to use models.
While they'll never be as detailed as sprites, and there IS a thing about controlling a 2d enviroment... it's something I'd like to see more of.

The second part... on the "face-to-face communication" thing I can't help but take it as more of "those of you who don't have friends who play pokémon? FOREVER ALONE".
Though I don't really want an MMO either, but ugh the internet is there to break physical frontiers stop reinforcing them

I'm glad the 3D thing won't be for a while because that increases the chances of the next games being for all DSes. As for the second one, we already are able to play with others online with wi-fi. Too many on one internet site can cause it to lag or crash like what happens to the forums sometimes. Pokemon is known for being made for Nintendo systems not computers.

There are plenty of animated movies that use CGI but look like they were cel-animated. Is that what Masuda was saying? 3D models with a 2D cartoony appearance would be an upgrade while still keeping the main series' classic visual style.

And down goes everyone's wishes for a Pokemon MMORPG.

They should try use cel-shaded graphics for Gen VI if they want to combine the uniqueness of 2D models with 3D models. Just look at Wind Waker and Skyward Sword.

They should try use cel-shaded graphics for Gen VI if they want to combine the uniqueness of 2D models with 3D models. Just look at Wind Waker and Skyward Sword.
Again, Battrio did it. And they really look fantastic on pokémon. Much better than the look of the current 3D games.

That game also had the models set up in an overhead general view, sorta like the "overworld" graphics, and they work pretty well even there.

Again, Battrio did it. And they really look fantastic on pokémon. Much better than the look of the current 3D games.

That game also had the models set up in an overhead general view, sorta like the "overworld" graphics, and they work pretty well even there.

Unfortunately, GF might take a different route because Battrio doesn't belong to them, and stealing someone's idea is the last thing they'll ever try to do, even if it's just a mere coincidence.

In another interview (I'll dig up the link when I'm on my laptop), Masuda made comments about how he would like to see Black 2/White 2 on the Wii U and he has confirmed that they are looking at the 3DS (to be fair, Rhythm Hunter HarmoKnight).

Unfortunately, GF might take a different route because Battrio doesn't belong to them, and stealing someone's idea is the last thing they'll ever try to do, even if it's just a mere coincidence.
It wouldn't be stealing an idea as ultimately, I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo have final ownership of all Pokémon assets (as they own Creatures Inc, The Pokémon Company and GameFreak). Pokémon Battrio and Tretta are made by Takara Tomy and Marvelous AQL, but still published by Nintendo. Obviously there's no way for us to actually know the ins and outs of their agreements, but it wouldn't surprise me if GameFreak could easily get the models (like how Chunsoft are using Creatures Inc's models for Mystery Dungeon).

In a similar example, with anime, the English dubs are not owned by the American companies who license the show, they are owned by the Japanese licensors. For example, the UK license for Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood was made directly with Aniplex in Japan, not FUNimation. However, because Aniplex own FUNimation's English dub, we were given those materials for our release and is why AniplexUSA's rerelease of Baccano has the FUNimation dub and why FUNimation's rerelease of Shakugan no Shana has the Geneon dub.

It's also why both Japan and the UK are getting the English dub of Strike Witches 2 before America:
- America dubbed the series, but had to delay the release due to the Japanese fearing reverse importation due to having the same blu ray region.
- Japan releases a complete boxset that includes FUNimation's English dub.
- The UK release is DVD only, not Bluray, so Japan don't fear us and are allowing us to get it in September, while America have to wait a month or two longer.

Last edited:
In another interview (I'll dig up the link when I'm on my laptop),
Here it is.

Masuda made comments about how he would like to see Black 2/White 2 on the Wii U
He probably wasn't serious about that: "Masuda says with a laugh just long enough to make it unclear if he was dropping a hint or joking completely."

and he has confirmed that they are looking at the 3DS (to be fair, Rhythm Hunter HarmoKnight).
He didn't mention that game.

In another interview (I'll dig up the link when I'm on my laptop),
Here it is.

Masuda made comments about how he would like to see Black 2/White 2 on the Wii U
He probably wasn't serious about that: "Masuda says with a laugh just long enough to make it unclear if he was dropping a hint or joking completely."

and he has confirmed that they are looking at the 3DS (to be fair, Rhythm Hunter HarmoKnight).
He didn't mention that game.
I know he didn't mention it. What I was getting at is, of course they have looked at the 3DS, because they've made a game for it.

And yeah, he was cryptic about whether he was serious or not about the Wii U comment, but it is still an interesting thought. What if they later did something like Dragon Quest X, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and Smash Bros 4, where there is improved communication between the 3DS and Wii U? (With DQX, the main gameplay is on the Wii and Wii U, but there are 3DS apps that let you street pass with other players and check bazaars and stuff. With Monster Hunter, you can play on either console with the same save file, but only go online on the Wii U).

And yeah, he was cryptic about whether he was serious or not about the Wii U comment, but it is still an interesting thought. What if they later did something like Dragon Quest X, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and Smash Bros 4, where there is improved communication between the 3DS and Wii U? (With DQX, the main gameplay is on the Wii and Wii U, but there are 3DS apps that let you street pass with other players and check bazaars and stuff. With Monster Hunter, you can play on either console with the same save file, but only go online on the Wii U).
He was joking about B2W2, but perhaps the fact that he even raised the idea means that he is not as opposed to working with the Wii U as he was with the Wii.

He was joking about B2W2, but perhaps the fact that he even raised the idea means that he is not as opposed to working with the Wii U as he was with the Wii.
Obviously we won't see B2W2 ported to the Wii U, but the comment itself and the ambiguity of it (and in particular, how it could affect later instalments in the franchise) is the interesting bit. The fact that he ruled out B3W3 made me happy though.

It could be argued that Pokémon has already done the 3DS/Wii U thing I suggested with Stadium, Colo, PBR et al, but if they do decide to do something like that, it'll be interesting to see.

The fact that he ruled out B3W3 made me happy though.
I found it annoying because the interviewer was referring to sequels in general (as an alternative to third versions), as opposed to B3W3 in particular (which is admittedly a bad idea). Technically, Masuda didn't even rule out the latter, but at least his saying that they're satisfied with B2W2 implies that they won't regress to third versions anytime soon.

I think they are working on a 3DS main title, but Masuda can't give us clear information now.

They want to suprise us and we have to wait until this happen.

It's obvious that they created the 3D models of the Pokedex 3D for some bigger reason.

I'm sure they will use them in their first 3DS title.

Can see 3d. Can't see a MMO.

An mmo would have to have a offline play mode since the games are primarily for handhelds and kids. As with early console mmo games an offline mode opens door for AR and dupe exploits. Clones and bugs then kill any online market/battling fairness and ruin it.

Back
Top Bottom