• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW005: Sanyou Gym! VS Baoppu, Hiyappu and Yanappu!!

If Pikachu can survive hits, and surive to tie with a Latios

Flint's Infernape is a far more better example since unlike Flint's Infernape Latios never did deal direct damage to Pikachu except the final one that ended them both being knocked out (and even then that's debatable), so I'm not seeing why Latios is a good argument, Pikachu may have been damaged but it was always indirect damage since it used volt tackle and iron tail to deflect Latios' attacks. And did you see Pikachu struggling, if anything use Flint's Infernape who is likely stronger than Takuto's Latios and it dealt a whole bunch of damage to Pikachu, Latios, no, didn't even hardly deal squat.

But in this episode, Hiyappu dealt tons of damage to Pikachu, it might be weaker but all those hits have to add up. It's not like Pikachu is godly powerful, it barely wins against any of the tough opponent's anyway. Pikachu is pretty much the "last one standing" Pokemon it's never a clean win like Sceptile's win over Darkrai (when dealing with strong Pokemon) was (although its win over Regice was kind of like that).

Last edited:
There's no point in complaining about Pikachu.

We all know every time a new saga starts, Pikachu always loses battles to unevolved Pokemon again, some even owned by regular little kid trainers.

Just move on. The writers don't care about how "strong" Pikachu should be by now.

If I'm not mistaken, it looks like Volt Tackle has replaced Quick Attack. We haven't seen Pikachu use Quick Attack as of late...

If I'm not mistaken, it looks like Volt Tackle has replaced Quick Attack. We haven't seen Pikachu use Quick Attack as of late...

didnt it try and use that at the beggining? Or was that agility or something?

The writers surely don't realize how many Pikachu's fans there are. Why do they make it lost every time it goes to a new region.

Zekrom could've really messed with it though this time, unlike with Sinnoh where there was no excuses for it's early failures, the Zekrom plot could easily explain why Pikachu got weaker.

This episode was truly amazing!

The GOOD
Ash's passion for a GYM BATTLE has always made him likable!
Iris, Ash, and Dento!!! I'm already loving this group!
Dento thinks Pika is Kawaii, I think they both are, and I'm a guy!
I love characters who are involved with food, afterall, May is my girl!
Dento's brothers look cool, yet like they belong in a circus, which is awesome! LOL at the fangirls! There's some for each, lol
Dento throws his pokeball the best, very graceful and epic, he should try contests, that's never been done...oh wait!
Pokabu!!! Is Kawaii!
Yay, it wins!
Pikachu...I'll review in the bad section, cause I love it too much to say it losing was good :(
Miju!!! Kawaii!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm loving Iris' reactions

The Bad
Just Pikachu losing, it's not like I'm losing sleep, or I yelled at my screen or anything, but I see nothing wrong with it getting a win, especially after its past record.

I know the deal with Pikachu each saga, but being a fav of mine, I hate to see it lose...oh well, this isn't it's last rodeo anyway!

Overall, good episode!
Grade: B+

The Bad
Just Pikachu losing, it's not like I'm losing sleep, or I yelled at my screen or anything, but I see nothing wrong with it getting a win, especially after its past record.

I know the deal with Pikachu each saga, but being a fav of mine, I hate to see it lose..

Exactly. The writers should know that Pikachu is the favourite of many, they should treat it better.

Exactly. The writers should know that Pikachu is the favourite of many, they should treat it better.

Just because Pikachu's a fan favorite it should lose? I'm sorry but that's just silly. Pikachu isn't crazy uber strong. The games do not = the anime. Pikachu is a good Pokemon but not invincible. Pikachu tied with latios but remember that both Sceptile and Swellow fought with latios before it did. Also remember that latios barely hit Pikachu before that luster purge. Kon used a great strategy against Pikachu. He's gym leader so you know he's good and unlike the games his Pokemon aren't weak. This was a great episode.

Last edited:
Again, I figure they had Pikachu lose because they wanted to mirror the whole "you have to beat the Sanyou City Gym Leader with a pokemon who's strong against the one you chose" thing. Having Pikachu win against a pokemon it has a type advantage against wouldn't show that at all.

A funny little trivia about the sanyou gym leaders:we all know Dent is voiced by Light's VA but not many people know that Pod is voiced by Bleach's main character, Ichigo's VA, funny coincidence, eh?

As for Konn/Corn, well his monkey knows double team which is called 'kage bushin' in Japanese and we all know what that means, right?

A funny little trivia about the sanyou gym leaders:we all know Dent is voiced by Light's VA but not many people know that Pod is voiced by Bleach's main character, Ichigo's VA, funny coincidence, eh?

Yeah,all the VAs for the brothers sounded really fitting and experienced!:D
Corn´s, for example, has worked on pokémon before.

Just because Pikachu's a fan favorite it should lose? I'm sorry but that's just silly. Pikachu isn't crazy uber strong. The games do not = the anime. Pikachu is a good Pokemon but not invincible. Pikachu tied with latios but remember that both Sceptile and Swellow fought with latios before it didn't. Also remember that latios barely hit Pikachu before that luster purge. Kon used a great strategy against Pikachu. He's gym leader so you know he's good and unlike the games his Pokemon aren't weak. This was a great episode.

Yes,this.People need to stop putting Pikachu in such high standard.

"But!LOOK AT ALL ITS EXPERIENCE!"

Gym Leaders have way,way much more experience than Ash unless stated otherwise(As it was the case with Mayline,who was just starting).

"But!LOOK AT IT TYPE ADVANTAGE!"

Type "advantage" means nothing.What matters is having a solid strategy.This is proven in every first gym of the series(with the exception of Falkner´s battle)where the challenger beats the leader with pokemon weak to the leader´s type(See Ash vs Brock, Ash vs Roxanne or even Paul vs Roark).

So yeah.Is pikachu strong?Sure,probably one of Ash´s fastest and experienced pokemon.Is it invincible?No,a properly done strategy that focuses on destroying the rat´s balance can kill it.Put Charizard to sleep and it is obsolete.Prevent Quilava form bringin on its flame crest and its as dangerous as a newborn Magikarp.Power and Experience are secondary.

Last edited:
Lol don't forget the time when Grovlye knocked out Winona's Altaria with Leaf Blade. Anyways one of the high points of this battle for me is when Hiyapuu was using double and jumping at the same time. Really creative was of using it. It makes me wonder why that hasn't been done before.

I really don't understand some of you.

I mean seriously why does Pikachu deserve another win among the over 9000 wins its already has under its belt.

I mean seriously, don't the new Pokemon that won't have very many chances as Pikachu, don't they deserve wins far more than Pikachu? Honestly, if it wasn't Pikachu it would've been Pokabu and quite frankly I'd rather see Pokabu win over Pikachu, I am perfectly content with its loss. Besides it will get its wins later, but again I'd rather Pikachu be a fall guy just so Ash's other Pokemon that won't get very many chances get a win.

So... apparently Dent is not a butler, but specifically a sommelier.

That would explain his "It's tasting time!" line.

And Ash is angry.

Mijumaru is as humorous as ever.

Last edited:
Again, I figure they had Pikachu lose because they wanted to mirror the whole "you have to beat the Sanyou City Gym Leader with a pokemon who's strong against the one you chose" thing. Having Pikachu win against a pokemon it has a type advantage against wouldn't show that at all.

...There's also the bit where Pikachu isn't even found in the Isshu Pokédex and it would be somewhat inapproprate if Ash won using a monster that technically isn't even found in the game (pre-national dex of course).

Also they wanted to make even more tension at the ending and have the outcome riding on Mijimaru vs Yanappu, and Pokabu needed a win (to boost confidence).

But we get the monkey that has type advantage in the games.

...There's also the bit where Pikachu isn't even found in the Isshu Pokédex and it would be somewhat inapproprate if Ash won using a monster that technically isn't even found in the game (pre-national dex of course).

So you expect Pikachu to lose every matches in Isshu?

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom