• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Favourite Pokemon Game Music

I love pretty much all of XY's music. My favorites, though, are probably the Kanto Legendaries' Theme, Gym Leaders' Theme, and the Boutique Theme.
I think the best themes are the legendaries', personally. I also love HGSS Legendary Beast Themes, Ho-Oh's, Deoxy's, Zekrom/Reshiram/Kyurem (each), and the Swords of Justice.

Pokémon soundtracks are awesome, so it's hard to pick only a few ones..
Gen 1: Lavender town, Mt. moon, gym battle theme, Lance battle and Rival final battle.
Gen 2: Dark cave, union cave/alpha ruins, Red and Lance theme again, Mt silver.
Gen 3: Contest music (XD), Drought (I can't believe anyone said it yet), gym leader battle.
Gen 4: vs. Cynthia, Giratina and distortion world themes.
Gen 5: Village Bridge, Tower of Heaven (Dragonspiral Tower), Black city, Warehouse of broken dreams (Dreamyard), gear station, Battle! Roaming Legendary and Reshiram/Zekrom.
Gen 6:Anistar city, Gym Leader battle, E4 Battle and Diantha battle, and Pokéball factory.

I've never heard the original as far as I can remember, but there's Smooth McGroove's a cappella arrangement of the Mt. Pyre theme. It counts, since the original IS from a Pokémon game.

My favorite soundtrack would have been DPP. I have recently started to feel that it is very "8 - bit"-y compared to soundtracks such as BW (which were not that far off). Maybe Nintendo in the future need to refresh this soundtrack without completely destroying it in the process. I would have to say that my favorites would be:
- Cynthia Battle Theme
- Rival Battle!
- Cyrus Battle!
- Wild Encounter
- Mt Coronet Piano Piece
- Route 25 (My favorite)
- Valley Windworks (Always have this in my mind when I see Wind Turbines where I live).

I was not overly attracted to the HGSS OST.

In Black and White (2) I thought that the music had started to lose the "epic" feeling to it that the DPP OST had. The instrument synth in the DPP OST sounded very unnatural, but while BW(2) sounded a bit better, the music was no where near as "meaningful".
If I had to pick:
- VICTINI THEME!
- N Theme!
- Cynthia (again)
- Red theme

For XY, I am now replaying the game to pay a bit more attention to the story line, but again, this soundtrack for some reason does nothing for me whatsoever. It will probably grow on me though.

Pokemon Coliseum and XD: Gale of Darkness. Their soundtracks still outperform the recent installments to the franchise, especially B/W.

Last edited:
Lavender Town is always good.

Also Route 113 and Dive from RSE are pretty sweet.

Mt. Moon theme from FR/LG.
In D/P, For me, It was the Gym Battle music.
In BW and the remakes, The Team Plasma Grunt theme.
Lavender Town music from R/B/Y.

My favorite is "Boutique" from Pokémon X & Y. Seriously, this might be my favorite video game music ever, it's so addicting.

My close-second favorite is "Battle! (Team Aqua / Magma)" from Pokémon Ruby & Sapphire. The only reason I would take like an hour to complete grunt battles was because of this track.

Honorable mentions go to the unused track from Pokémon Yellow (SHAME ON THEM FOR NOT USING IT!) and Pokémon GSC's "National Park" & "Bicycle" (no love for the HGSS versions, sorry not sorry).

The music of the Pokémon games has always meant very much to me, and since I like so many of the themes, it's really hard to pick some absolute favorites but I'll try:

Pokémon HG/SS: Violet City/Olivine City is just a very beatiful theme with a lot of different instruments and also a theme that has been improved a lot since G/S.
The Rival Battle theme and Gym Leader Battle theme is also very good.

Pokémon R/S: The Gym Leader Battle theme is simply the best of all the Gym Leader Battle themes in my eyes. It just gives me the feeling that I am fighting a real leader with the majestic melody.

Pokémon D/P: Here is the Trainer Battle theme one of my all time favorites. With a very catchable melody and a simple rythm, I really enjoy it.

Pokémon X/Y: The Bicycle theme is just so good as well as the Trainer Battle, Wild Battle and Rival Battle themes. Route 2 is also very original and fun.
Snowbelle city and Lumiose city is also pretty good, but my absolute favorite theme is actually Aquacorde Town. I just think the melody is very fresh and enjoyable.

The Pokémon Gym theme, which is one of those themes that never change is also very beatiful and is generally one of my favorites too :)

Come to think of it, I enjoyed more Field Music in Gen. VI so far than any of its battle music. I don't know, but especially in the Gym Leader/ E4's case, the battle themes lacked melody. A lot. They weren't so much actual songs as they were... rhythms. They felt empty when I first heard them, particularly if I compared them to past games. They do have a surge of melody sometime later in their playtime, but it's like it's too little, too late. The E4 music eventually grew on me, but still...

Also. Champion Diantha's music. Dear lord, that was annoying as hell. It didn't give me that surge of epicness that Cynthia's and Blue's champ themes did. It was bland, repetitive, and gave me no reason to prolong my choice of moves so I could sit for a while longer to listen to it. Stupid Champion and her stupid angel wings... ugh.

BlackOsprey: I agree very much on this. I didn't get the same feeling either when battling Diantha. I'm quite dissapointed about her design too. My favorite Champion so far is still Cynthia.

The E4 theme has been pretty dissapointing since BW actually, and the Gym Leader theme aren't very interesting in XY either. On the other hand, I really like the Wild Battle and Trainer Battle theme in XY, which I actually think is some of the best of all.

But I definietly think the same about the emptyness of the Gym Leader and E4 themes, which could have been better. Let's hope that they improve it in Gen. 7 :D

As far as entire soundtracks go, my favorites are R/S/E, Colosseum, and XD: Gale of Darkness. There literally are not any songs from those games that I don't like. Generation III had some awesome music.

Please don't kill me for saying this, but I like the Ghetsis theme from both games. It brings about a true sense of fear instead of a comical leader like almost all the rest. Also, I like that sad theme for N, despite my disability to remember what it is called. I should also mention Red's battle theme at the World Tournament. Come to think of it, I like ALL of Gen 5's music.

If I had to choose an overall favorite game when it comes to music, it must be XY.

Not only is the sound quality better, which also is natural since it runs on a new hardware, but also the overall composement of the themes is great. Most of the routes and cities as well as some of the battles sounds good. the Bicycle theme, AZ's theme, Friends a New Meeting and a lot of other themes is simply "remarkable!" :D

I have so many so I'm gonna name my favorites for each main series set of games.

Red, Blue and Yellow - Champion Battle Theme
Gold, Silver and Crystal - Ecruteak City Ambiant Theme
Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald - Team Aqua and Magma Battle Theme
FireRed and LeafGreen - Gym Leader Battle Theme
Diamond, Pearl and Platinum - Gym Ambiant Theme
HeartGold and SoulSilver - Johto Trainer Battle Theme
Black and White - Rival Battle Theme
Black 2 and White 2 - N Battle Theme
X and Y - Route 18, 19 and 20 Ambiant Theme

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom