• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How to Fix the Ice Type

what if ice types would be immune to moves that have 100% chance of activating a status condition like Toxic or Will-o-wisp or would it be rather a thing for bug types?
I don't see the logic behind the Ice-type being immune. Maybe Bug with Toxic, but not Will-o-Wisp.

I don't see the logic behind the Ice-type being immune. Maybe Bug with Toxic, but not Will-o-Wisp.

maybe not with all, will-o-wisp could be an exception, but we have so many damage dealing fire type moves, then why bother with will-o-wisp used by ghost types?
but toxic , stun spore, zap canon, thunder wave?
maybe make toxic and thunder wave not work on ice types taking that they are cold and you need more power to inflict a status ailment?
stun spore? we have grass whistle that has 55% probability to that would work well on ice.

ice already cant get frozen thats a good thing but what makes it good if you resist your own type and own status, yes when you have a good type combo then it is good.

If frozen stats would be given by abiliy(ice version of -flame body; static) and we would have own ice type version of will-o-wisp (maybe sound based, to not be too OP)

Status Ailments

Last edited:
what if ice types would be immune to moves that have 100% chance of activating a status condition like Toxic or Will-o-wisp or would it be rather a thing for bug types?
What will be the lore explanation.

maybe not with all, will-o-wisp could be an exception, but we have so many damage dealing fire type moves, then why bother with will-o-wisp used by ghost types?
but toxic , stun spore, zap canon, thunder wave?
maybe make toxic and thunder wave not work on ice types taking that they are cold and you need more power to inflict a status ailment?
stun spore? we have grass whistle that has 55% probability to that would work well on ice.

ice already cant get frozen thats a good thing but what makes it good if you resist your own type and own status, yes when you have a good type combo then it is good.

If frozen stats would be given by abiliy(ice version of -flame body; static) and we would have own ice type version of will-o-wisp (maybe sound based, to not be too OP)

Status Ailments

Exactly WHY should Ice be immune to 100% status moves? (Thunder Wave has non 100 accuracy.) and in real life, cold actually INCREASES the effects os paralysis. My father got paralysis stroke due to roaming around in the cold, and it amplifies whenever it is cold. And Freeze is a more powerful status than burn.

And why do you think sound moves are less op? Anyone with pixilated just spams hyper voice if it gets the move.

And why do you think sound moves are less op? Anyone with pixilated just spams hyper voice if it gets the move

sound proof?
maybe make ice resist sound moves rather?
At high altitudes, where it is much colder, sound travels slower. That also means it looses more energy when waves need to make a distance.

with the status you are right a little but should a ice type get paralyzed or poisoned so easy with those moves that always hit and work with 100%?

maybe we need to wait for new ice/electric(imagine with ability based on magnets to be immune to steel types) and ice/poison pokemon.

sound proof?
maybe make ice resist sound moves rather?
At high altitudes, where it is much colder, sound travels slower. That also means it looses more energy when waves need to make a distance.
Atmospheric pressure also plays a role. I think that Ice, like glass would break due to a strong sound source (Pokemon use a strong sound). At lower altitudes, Ice types would be even more vulnerable to sounds than usual becuase glass/ice break easily.

with the status you are right a little but should a ice type get paralyzed or poisoned so easy with those moves that always hit and work with 100%?
You cannot simply make a change with 0 explanation, however weak a type is.

Atmospheric pressure also plays a role. I think that Ice, like glass would break due to a strong sound source (Pokemon use a strong sound). At lower altitudes, Ice types would be even more vulnerable to sounds than usual becuase glass/ice break easily.

ice is not glass and it doesnt break so easy as you think, you forget that its frozen water?
and that not only density but the amount and structure of it counts as well.
Many ice types get bigger and have more body and are probably colder.
I think ice would do great if resisting sound moves that would be a real and good buff.
Taking that we may get a fire , fighting or other sound move in future

Velocity of Sound in Various Media - RF Cafe

Substance Density (g/cm3) Vl (m/s) Vs (m/s) Vext (m/s)
Glass, pyrex 2.32 5640 3280 5170

If still then during hail the sound moves should get half if you dont want ice to resist sound.
But I rather would ice to resist sound.

Plus you know that electricity in pokemon is also not handled properly, because clean water has higher resistance then dirty water?
Then why bother and not make it hapen?
ghost resisting ice and ice resisting ghost would be good taking many ghost stories where ghosts and cold air are going in pair with each other. (both ice and many dual typed ghost pokemon would profit from it)

Last edited:
ice is not glass and it doesnt break so easy as you think, you forget that its frozen water?
Ice is as frail as glass. I can break Ice as easily as Glass. In fact, it can be argued that some kinds of glass are stronger than ice.

And water's resistance dosen't change the fact that paralysis is more effective in ice, and not less effective. Victims of stroke/paralysis in real life are asked to stay away from cold areas.

Ice is as frail as glass. I can break Ice as easily as Glass. In fact, it can be argued that some kinds of glass are stronger than ice.

And water's resistance dosen't change the fact that paralysis is more effective in ice, and not less effective. Victims of stroke/paralysis in real life are asked to stay away from cold areas.

did you ever tried to break ice on water, on a lake when it's really very cold?
like in colder countries they earned money on selling ice that they needed to transport. You need steel tools to hit ice hard to break it. (thats why steel got 2x SE against it in the past)

I know that you can hear better when putiing your ears on the ground beacuse solid matrial channel better sound but if the ground is frozen I think the sound would go not that far as on regular temperature based ground. If the cold reduces speed of sound in the air then the same hapens in the solid.
Thats why I want resistance. Plus think of some ice types and some oponents - the sound users all together...

But we dont have many ice type moves causing paralysis, and you say about humans and normal beeings, we think about "ice typed pokemon" that can create ice from their bodies and can create cold.

Last edited:
I just think there should be a Ice move causing paralysis, nothing more, nothing less. Ice Pokemon are still living beings and, if they get paralysed, their cold temperatures wouldn't do them much help to heal.

And it depends on how thick the ice is. Alolan Ninetales for example would be too frail (I cannot imagine it making anything stronger than a snowflake), while Avalugg would be durable. It is something which varies greatly in Ice Type Pokemon.

My overall suggestions to fix the Ice type:
1. Make it resistant to water, fairy, ground, dragon and flying.
2. Make more glass cannon ice types and less defensive ones.
3. Make a Ice type move which causes paralysis.
4. Wider distribution for water gun (similar to how water types get ice beam) and aurora veil. Maybe more Pokemon should get ice hammer too.

My overall suggestions to fix the Ice type:
1. Make it resistant to water, fairy, ground, dragon and flying.
2. Make more glass cannon ice types and less defensive ones.
3. Make a Ice type move which causes paralysis.
4. Wider distribution for water gun (similar to how water types get ice beam) and aurora veil. Maybe more Pokemon should get ice hammer too.

1. Water I agree, fairy maybe , ground is to much, dragon would be resisted by 2 types and one would be immune to it? flying? I would rather like the fairy , water resistance... but knowing the creators the type chart want change too much now.
2. There need to be more of both kinds.
3. a non legendary variant.
4. Water sport, rain dance and others too, not only with ice/water combo.

If you'd bother to look at our current Ice type Pokemon, most of them are bulky and slow. So we already have cleared that out. We need more ice types like Weavile and Ninetales Alola.

do we have a very strong physical wall? probably yeh
do we have a very strong special wall? probably yeh but check how strong
do we have a fast dual wall? not legendary? probably?no?
do we have a slow dual wall with formidable hp? not legendary? not frost rotom?

Froslass is rather fast but you are right they are rather slow. Thats why I though we would get a fast non-legendary ice/fighting or ice/electric this generation but nope.
alolan ninetales gave us something interesting into play, hope we get something with right typing and ability.
Imagine ice types with abilities similar to disquise or wonder guard.

Thats interesting fairies have more speedsters then ice?
and nearly the same as bug.

Pokémon Pokédex: list of Pokémon with stats | Pokémon Database

Last edited:
Bully ice types are done to death, and it is a fact. We need faster ones. Ice is NOT a defensive type by nature. Anyone who's coming into competitive NEEDS to understand that most bulky ice types are trash at defence and better options are readily available.

Pokemon like Weavile and Mamoswine flourish in the meta, so we need Pokemon like them to make Ice viable. Alolan Ninetales seems like a perfect mix of offence and defence.

(And no, disguise probably won't help any Ice type. Mimikyu will not be the terror it is if it were Ice/Ghost).

Bully ice types are done to death, and it is a fact. We need faster ones. Ice is NOT a defensive type by nature. Anyone who's coming into competitive NEEDS to understand that most bulky ice types are trash at defence and better options are readily available.

Pokemon like Weavile and Mamoswine flourish in the meta, so we need Pokemon like them to make Ice viable. Alolan Ninetales seems like a perfect mix of offence and defence.

(And no, disguise probably won't help any Ice type. Mimikyu will not be the terror it is if it were Ice/Ghost).

yes I know, but similar abilities means better buisness for the ice type.
We dont need a ice typed Mimikyu, that would be one immunity gone out, we would need something that freezes by contact or would need a new level of immunity to back it up.

but a Ice type ,sound version of will-o-wisp needs really to hapen.
Plus Ice maybe should get its own version of Shore Up or Aqua ring(or acces to this one)?
healing is also a important factor and could boost up those bully ice types from the past.

1) Give it resistance to Water and Ground. And make it SE on Water too. Water types are too strong and it would be better.
2) Defense boost in Hail. To make it even with Sandstorm.
3) Stronger moves/abilities. Most Ice types are stuck with awful abilities like Snow Cloak and the like. Slush Rush is a step in the right direction but limited to a couple of lines. We need ice versions of Solar Power and stuff like that.
Physical Ice type moves are scarce. There is Icicle crash and Ice Hammer (Again, very limited distribution). Ice Punch is not powerful.
4) Make Water moves more widespread amongst them. Not necessarily Surf or Waterfall. Even stuff like Water Pulse could be a decent alternative. It would help with Fire/Rock types and even Steel since it doesn't resist Water.
5) Stronger mons. Most Ice types are slow and frail. There should be strong sweepers not slow glass cannons like Vanilluxe and Glaceon

I'd like to see it get a resistance to either Water, Flying, or Ghost. Not sure about all at once but definitely at least one or two.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom