• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Kanto/Johto Sequels

I'm dying to see Machamp turned into a JoJo's Bizarre Adventure reference... so much potential XD
it would be fair too, considering the other two powerhouses, Alakazam and Gengar, got megas as well. if not a mega then at least an alternate form like alolan golem.
ghost/fighting machamp platinum anybody?
I don't see Mega Evolution coming back in this generation, seeing as it clashes with Z-moves.
tbh i feel that gen vi was the be-all end-all gen for megas. also the pokedex entries for mega-evolutions are...interesting.
z-move propaganda

Sure, tell yourself that.

There's no actual evidence that it's Pokemon. None.

Even if the 3DS Pokemon game you suggest was coming in early 2018, this job listing would still be too late to be considered a clear sign. A new Pokemon game would've been in development no later than December/January (at the absolute latest), so why would they wait until May to put out listings? It really doesn't make sense. Best to wait and see, for now.

I've already explained in the other thread that the game could be in its final stage, but most of the staff need to move onto the next project (Generation VIII).

I still can't believe you think they might be working on a non-Pokemon RPG. Like, come on. Their other games are small and only require like 5 people... They wouldn't hire anyone for that! Nor would they bother with a non-Pokemon RPG; they know what sells and what doesn't.

Well maybe one of those 5 people quit and they needed a new one? :p Only half joking there, that is a serious possibility. It doesn't matter how many people a project needs, people need to be hired for it anyway.

And no matter how much we want it, they can't go on making Pokémon games forever. The SuMo director already said in an interview he thinks there's too many Pokémon now. If they ever want to jump to another franchise, they're best off starting it while still making Pokémon games in case the new thing fails. I think very few game companies only work on one franchise the rest of their lives.

I'm sorry, but I can't take that seriously. This "Pokemon on Switch only from now on!" mentality is clouding your judgment.

Even if it were a new RPG, it wouldn't be released on the 3DS in 2018... Unlike with Pokemon, there is no engine ready for that system, so it would make far more sense to utilize other platforms like Steam, PS4, Switch and even mobile. Tembo proved that.

Last edited:
I could easily say your "Pokémon should stay on the 3DS" mentality is clouding your judgement too :p

I'm just stating the many possibilities, purely based on the facts (which are: they are hiring for a 3DS RPG, nothing more than that), completely unbiased. I'd be fine with Pokémon on either the 3DS or the Switch, as long as we get another game. Or not, and then I'll just play other games. I really couldn't care less ^^;

It could be they're hiring for a new Pokémon game. This game could already be near finished and they're just hiring an extra person or a new one because the previous one quit because they got ill/had to move/whatever. Could also be they're just starting on the game (though one has to wonder what they've been doing the last half year) and it won't come out in 2018 and this will be a break year. Or this is a completely different game, which could also already be near finished, etc.

They're just hiring a person, it could mean loads of things. Assuming stuff is going to lead to disappointment. Except if you assume a break year and we get a Pokémon game this year anyway, then I guess it just becomes a pleasant surprise :p

Not all possibilities are equally logical, you know.

And I was fine thinking that Stars was real and Switch-exclusive. But it's been a whopping 6 months and nothing has supported that rumor.

There is no reason to think that the hiring is false... Do you really think they're going to tell prospective employees "nope, we were just trolling you about the 3DS"? Programming for the 3DS is a different beast than for a more advanced system.

And the non-Pokemon RPG idea... is ridiculous. I won't sugarcoat it to be nice, so deal with it.

It's a fact that they're doing just that.
Nope. That isn't a fact that they're working on Pokemon.

And the non-Pokemon RPG idea... is ridiculous. I won't sugarcoat it to be nice, so deal with it.
More weird things have happened. See: Mario X Rabbids.

(I think it was @Soki) someone mentioned at the rumours thread that GF wanted to 'expand the business'. A Pokemon game on 3DS won't do that. Also, it seems weird now that they're hiring as they are so well versed with the 3DS engine (whooping 3 pairs of games) that they could survive if they fell short of a few people.

1. I was replying to godiego saying that hiring for any 3DS game was odd, lol. That much is a fact whether you guys like it or not.

2. Mario has a shitload of weird spin-off games.

3. A 2018 3DS game isn't going to expand their business beyond Pokemon, lol. You think that they're already parting ways with the 3DS for Pokemon, but not for a new RPG? That's absurd, and then some. I have no words to describe the mental gymnastics you guys are resorting to.

4. Fell short of a few people? The whole company should be shifting to the Generation VIII project considering how intensive HD development is. Not that you would know.

Last edited:
Fell short of a few people? The whole company should be shifting to the Generation VIII project considering how intensive HD development is. Not that you would know.
Seeing as they managed to pull of XY with half their team on a new system, and GF has grown since then... I think the 2 teams pattern suits them well.

LOL

The 3DS is no home console.

Q: How will Pokemon be handled on the Switch?

Ishihra: Until now we've developed Pokemon exclusively for portable games consoles. With no connection to home-play, a pro for portable consoles has been trading and battling with friends on the go. The Switch, however, being a portable home console, has some different qualities compared to portables. The screen is bigger, the specs are higher.

Because of that, if we are to release Pokemon on the Switch, we cannot go about software the way we have been so far.
There. You don't even have to take my word for it.

Last edited:
Agreed.

But it still feels weird that they still need extra staff for a 3DS Pokemon game, when they have virtually everything ready to put together.

The only way I can justify this is that the staff is not for Pokemon department at all, but for another RPG.

I'm not sure why people think it weird that Gamefreak need extra staff for a new 3DS Pokemon game. Chances are something happened which slowed down creating the game, and therefore need an extra person to help get things back on track. Things happen in workplaces all the time that can put work off, and for all we know, the same thing has happened here.

I guess it's better than 2015 for GAF, but for this forum? Here's the analogy:

Z=Kalos must be revisited like any other region! Let's ignore all the signs of a new generation for 2016! All hail our great lord Zygarde!

Stars=Game Freak must move onto the Switch this year! Screw the 3DS' user base! Game Freak's uneasiness about the Switch is just PR! Pokemon games get leaked months in advance all the time!

I wish I were exaggerating.

Last edited:
I guess it's better than 2015 for GAF, but for this forum? Here's the analogy:

Z=Kalos must be revisited like any other region! Let's ignore all the signs of a new generation for 2016! All hail our great lord Zygarde!

Stars=Game Freak must move onto the Switch this year! Screw the 3DS' user base! Game Freak's uneasiness about the Switch is just PR!

Well, we haven't got 2 flaming threads, one of which is closed.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom