• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview M20: I Choose You!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't even know if it's going to be *just* Gen 1. Yeah they only focused on it for this teaser but a) they didn't have much time at all and b) Kanto *is* significant to Ash's story since it started there. If this movie were to retell every series' story it would still make sense for the teaser/early promo stuff to just focus on Kanto.

I also wonder what the art style will look like. It doesn't seem to be like the Sun&Moon style-- it's most like XY's style but Ash doesn't have fingernails. Maybe it'll be an updated version of the original style? Whatever the art looks like I just hope they use warmer colors similar to the hand-painted cel episodes/movies. Jessie with red hair, Officer Jenny with blue hair, Misty with not-bright-pink skin, just overall less bright and tacky colors.

I'm tired of Gen 1 favoritism myself but this has a lot of potential.

Yeah, I do feel a bit burnt out from Kanto favoritism at this point myself, but I am still curious as to where they could take a possible retelling of the original series. We don't know for sure if that's happening yet, although it is a perfectly reasonable assumption given the trailer, poster and title, but confirmation hasn't been made yet. We don't know for sure if it is a retelling or how much they plan on covering if that is the case. All we know about the movie is the title, the release date and the poster. We have the trailer too, but that's just a teaser and Pokemon movie teaser trailers usually don't cover their entire plot within thirty seconds, so there will most likely be some twists to the movie that we don't know about now.

We normally don't learn more about the movies after they've been announced until around February I think. That's usually when we get the second poster, so that might be when we learn more about this movie if they keep that pattern up.

If this movie were to retell every series' story it would still make sense for the teaser/early promo stuff to just focus on Kanto.
A glorified clip show does not a good movie make. I don't see a reason to even entertain the idea when nothing hints at it.

Chances are that the title isn't misleading: This movie will be about the beginning of Ash's journey. They'll need at least one more movie to wrap up Kanto, so at the very most they'll add Johto later since it is part of the original series (and Ho-Oh is already relevant).

I guess this is Pokemon's answer to Digimon Adventure Tri (a film for the older fans). If it's a retelling of the entire first season they'll probably skip a few gym battles and focus on the important ones like Brock, Lt. Surge and Blaine's battles.

Not that I'm against DuArts dubbing the film, but it would be interesting to see another studio pick up the film like Bang Zoom or Studiopolis. A bonus in that is Veronica Taylor and Rachel Lillis could play Ash and Misty in the film.

A glorified clip show does not a good movie make. I don't see a reason to even entertain the idea when nothing hints at it.

Because there's no reason not to entertain the idea? These early teasers are never accurate and there's no official source saying there'll be no mention of other regions. I'm not saying it's definitely happening or even likely, but to say it absolutely, 100% will not happen is a bit close-minded.

And just because it wouldn't be good doesn't mean it wouldn't happen-- see every movie since the 9th one.

Because there's no reason not to entertain the idea? These early teasers are never accurate and there's no official source saying there'll be no mention of other regions. I'm not saying it's definitely happening or even likely, but to say it absolutely, 100% will not happen is a bit close-minded.

And just because it wouldn't be good doesn't mean it wouldn't happen-- see every movie since the 9th one.
If an idea is neither good nor likely to happen, why consider it?

Teasers may be misleading, but movie titles aren't. "Pokémon, I Choose You!" does not imply a clip show spanning the entire history of a 20-year show.

Last edited:
Holy crap. Just heard about this today. So instead of going with S&M movies we're revisiting the original series? Honestly if they do this rather than "redo" the first season, they should greatly improve upon it by having Ash actually battle gym leaders he had nonsense "victories" against. And maybe actually do a lot better in the Kanto League.

Also why are people so mad about gen 1 hype? It IS the 20th anniversary after all. I agree that's enough after this but we got so far honestly isn't that bad. Sinnoh could get a remake next in the games but we will have to see.

1997 was the debut of the Pokémon anime and considering how the anime has been constantly shrinking references to past series, it's a welcome change of pace. I've long argued that the insistence of keeping Ash in the series but not refer back to the past is an issue, and one of my prominent arguments was how Ash and Pikachu first met. Everyone knows they are best friends, but when was the last time the show told new generations of why they are best friends? It was taken for granted by this point and you could easily retcon the whole backstory completely with little backlash save for old-school fans. And if that could happen, Ash might as well be a new character at this point.

So it is fortunate to see the past be referenced once again. And better yet, it focuses on what is perhaps the best Pokémon story ever told. "Pokémon - I Choose You!" is a timeless classic that tells you everything you need to know about Pokémon in less than 22 minutes and goes even further than that. Origins and Generations cannot hold a candle to this episode. If I had to make a live-action Pokémon movie, this would be the basis for the plot. I need to make a full review of it for its 20th anniversary.

Last edited:
Here's how I would handle this reboot in a nutshell:

2017: Beginning of Ash's journey, starring Pikachu and Ho-Oh.
2018: End of Ash's journey, starring the Kanto starters and Mew (maybe Mewtwo if they find a way not to retread Movie 1).
2019: An original story about Ash in his adulthood, long after he conquered the Indigo League.

The last movie could be about anything, but I would use the GS Ball to make the connection to the original series meaningful.

.....2016 keeps messing with me. But still this could be interesting, and I can already see the Ash vs Ash debates.

Here's how I would handle this reboot in a nutshell:

2017: Beginning of Ash's journey, starring Pikachu and Ho-Oh.
2018: End of Ash's journey, starring the Kanto starters and Mew (maybe Mewtwo if they find a way not to retread Movie 1).
2019: An original story about Ash in his adulthood, long after he conquered the Indigo League.

The last movie could be about anything, but I would use the GS Ball to make the connection to the original series meaningful.
I hope that this never happens. None of that would work and these are not the kind of movies I want to see.

The 2017 movie is happening whether you like it or not. Deal with it already.
I know that movie is happening but I don't want to see another movie like this one. Otherwise the movie franchise is ruined.

I'd rather have a more focused story than a full series recap (that'd probably be similar to Generations which I'm not too impressed with) but I wouldn't mind if they ended it with redone scenes from later series, even if it's just the end credits.

Or say they do eventually do Gen 4 remakes and a Sinnoh recap movie to go with them...Ash vs. Paul with movie animation? Yes please.

Potentially, it could be a movie based on when if before/after/during the time Ash sees Ho-oh. It could finally and officially explain why Ash is special/ and /or whatever Ho-oh was doing at the time. A lot of people complained that Ho-oh never had an origin story, but this could explain all of that coinciding with Ash's origin journey as well. We will finally learn their relationship with each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom